NCL alcohol changes

brad0576

21 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Sorry about that. We had captain Morgan last night at the Atrium Bar (Penrose Bar) on the Prima. Probably more of a supply chain problem. 

I spoke to the Beverage Manager who was walking around on Encore.  He said it was a cutback to limit the number of different brands they were carrying.

• Like 1

Maybe NCL should consider ditching some of the cheapo brands if the concern is about consolidating the range offered. The reality is probably due to the terms offered from the various alcohol parent companies and distributors like Diageo. Btw $26 for a bottle of baileys is about normal in Ireland as our government introduced minimum unit pricing on alcohol. 

20 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Nobody pays $16 for a shot of Baileys on board.

I don't know why you say that.  Early this year we came very close to booking a sail-away rate becuase we don't drink all that much (my wife drinks very little).  Had we done that, one of the things I likely would have purchased (if it was available) would be a shot of Bailys to go with my coffee after dinner.  

18 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

I don't know why you say that.  Early this year we came very close to booking a sail-away rate becuase we don't drink all that much (my wife drinks very little).  Had we done that, one of the things I likely would have purchased (if it was available) would be a shot of Bailys to go with my coffee after dinner.  

"Nobody" was clearly hyperbole.  I'm sure it happens once in a while, but it's not like NCL is really selling any meaningful amount of Bailey's at $16 per shot.

On 12/5/2022 at 4:56 PM, AstoriaPreppy said:

It's still hilarious to me that NCL doesn't give Haven passengers a premium beverage package as part of the stateroom (like Celebrity suites).

No cruise line 'gives' anyone a beverage package.  You pay for it one way or another.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

No cruise line 'gives' anyone a beverage package.  You pay for it one way or another.

Please note that I didn’t say “free.” Celebrity builds gratuities, Wi-Fi, a premium beverage package and OBC into the cost of every suite booking. NCL has decided not to. 

• Like 1

Every so often NCL raises the price of alcohol since the drink package isn’t tied to specific included drinks but rather to a price. What’s funny is that they actually increased the price of the beverage package recently and they keep reducing what’s included. Just more dishonest shenanigans by NCL to suck every last penny out of customers by pushing the beverage package upgrade since less and less items are included with the standard beverage package.

2 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Every so often NCL raises the price of alcohol since the drink package isn’t tied to specific included drinks but rather to a price. What’s funny is that they actually increased the price of the beverage package recently and they keep reducing what’s included. Just more dishonest shenanigans by NCL to suck every last penny out of customers by pushing the beverage package upgrade since less and less items are included with the standard beverage package.

I have zero issues with companies raising prices, changing what is included or not, or anything else.

Yes I may complain slightly or stop using them but they can do what they wish.

What I do have an issue with is them have marketing materials showing its included and it not be. That is the main issue I have and something honestly that starts to blur legally what is allowed. You can just say "well things can change" yet leave up outdated information for extended periods of time to essentially trick people.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

I have zero issues with companies raising prices, changing what is included or not, or anything else.

Yes I may complain slightly or stop using them but they can do what they wish.

What I do have an issue with is them have marketing materials showing its included and it not be. That is the main issue I have and something honestly that starts to blur legally what is allowed. You can just say "well things can change" yet leave up outdated information for extended periods of time to essentially trick people.

My issue is that what is covered when you book the cruise with the beverage package should also be covered when I actually go on the cruise. If I book a cruise 1 year out and XYZ drink is covered but 30 days before I sail XYZ drink is now no longer covered...that shouldn't fall on me as a customer. But at the end of the day NCL doesn't care. Just look at all the nickel and diming with all the changes they keep implementing.

• Like 3

On 12/5/2022 at 5:47 PM, JamieLogical said:

I knew about Bailey's being an upcharge heading into my last cruise. There is  $1 upcharge plus tip for that. I was more shocked to learn that St. Germain is a $5 upcharge plus tip! On what planet does a shot of St. Germain cost $20?!?!?!

this?

i had it with soda water.

tasted horrible.

then i had it straight with ice.

what do you mix it with??

18 hours ago, PATRLR said:

I spoke to the Beverage Manager who was walking around on Encore.  He said it was a cutback to limit the number of different brands they were carrying.

And you believed him? What did you expect him to say? The truth? That corporate is cutting down costs by limiting what is offered and by pushing people to upgrade their beverage package?

Captain Morgan is a very popular alcohol in the United States. How about they get rid of one of the 30 different flavors of vodka that gets used once per month instead?

As the saying goes...excuses are like a******s, everybody has one.

44 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

And you believed him? What did you expect him to say? The truth? That corporate is cutting down costs by limiting what is offered and by pushing people to upgrade their beverage package?

Captain Morgan is a very popular alcohol in the United States. How about they get rid of one of the 30 different flavors of vodka that gets used once per month instead?

As the saying goes...excuses are like a******s, everybody has one.

I realize your main purpose on these boards is to spew vitriol towards NCL, but in this case there isn't a whole lot of difference between what he said and what you claim.  They are cutting back what they are offering - any moron knows why they are doing it, there is no reason to ask "why?", they are doing it to save money.  We don't need you and all your vitriol explaining it to us.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

I realize your main purpose on these boards is to spew vitriol towards NCL, but in this case there isn't a whole lot of difference between what he said and what you claim.  They are cutting back what they are offering - any moron knows why they are doing it, there is no reason to ask "why?", they are doing it to save money.  We don't need you and all your vitriol explaining it to us.

Vitriol? LMAO! Just pointing out the obvious...

Edited by DaCruiseBug

24 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Vitriol? LMAO! Just pointing out the obvious...

Awww, what a shame you edited out your original statement which is shown in part below.  Trust me DaCruiseBug, I am one of the last people on these boards that most people would consider to be a cheerleader.

image.png.a0f657e6f2ef55bffb1ec65f8cc13ba0.png

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Awww, what a shame you edited out your original statement which is shown in part below.  Trust me DaCruiseBug, I am one of the last people on these boards that most people would consider to be a cheerleader.

I know I'm going to regret getting involved in this conversation, but... I'll just say that I sometimes post things that I later realize was stupid or hurtful in a way I hadn't intended and I'm glad I can edit after the fact to make my responses more tactful. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, zzdoug said:

I know I'm going to regret getting involved in this conversation, but... I'll just say that I sometimes post things that I later realize was stupid or hurtful in a way I hadn't intended and I'm glad I can edit after the fact to make my responses more tactful. 

Yeah we all have, I just think its hilarious that I've been called a cheerleader, even if it was only for a fleeting moment.

• Haha 1

On 12/8/2022 at 8:48 AM, graphicguy said:

Along with the price rise on Crown (which is by no means a premium liquor) and up charges for St Germain and Bailey’s, I wonder if this is the beginning of more of these price up charges on non-premium liquors?

This, in addition to the room service up charge increase, fees on what used to be free (like Putt-Putt on Prima), this sounds like a conscious effort by NCL to raise prices without raising fares, which is what most people look at when comparing cruise lines?

Interesting that I read Prima mini golf was a charge but when we sailed there was a sign that said free.  Not sure if a one off or if they didn't want to staff it as weather was cold most days and the poor staff in that area were in coats by go cart area and other venues and it was windy up there.

Just now, dexddd said:

Interesting that I read Prima mini golf was a charge but when we sailed there was a sign that said free.  Not sure if a one off or if they didn't want to staff it as weather was cold most days and the poor staff in that area were in coats by go cart area and other venues and it was windy up there.

Hmmmm…..first I’ve heard that the Prima mini-golf was free.  Be a good thing if it was, though.

When I was on the Encore for an Alaska cruise right after the restart, it wasn’t cold, but it was very windy, and we were sailing at ½ capacity.  Staff were bundled up as they were in the wind all day running the go carts.  I paid for one “session”.  As I was getting out of my cart, they asked if I wanted to go again at no charge as there were only a few people at the track.  I ended up going 3X…the last 2 were free.

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

Ummm……well…..WOW.  Just WOW!!!!!!!

12 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Please note that I didn’t say “free.” Celebrity builds gratuities, Wi-Fi, a premium beverage package and OBC into the cost of every suite booking. NCL has decided not to. 

And it's great they NCL hasn't so we can pick what we want! I just priced a Haven vs Celebrity Retreat for the same dates (7 day cruise) and similar cabins/ships, and Celebrity was an extra $8k for 2 people. I can add the premium beverage package and pre-pay DSC on NCL for less than $1k.

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

Someone probably thought it cost money because there some industrious kid cruising that was taking cash payments. Haha.