Solar Eclipse 2024 cruise already sold out

Greysandy

I'm so bummed that the Discovery Princess April 3, 2024 cruise to Mazatlan for the solar eclipse is already sold out in all categories. My travel agent put us on a waitlist with a deposit, so hopefully something opens up in the next year or so...

There is lots of availability on the HAL 2 week version, but it is on the Zaandam which is not my favorite ship, and it is much more expensive even though it is only 3 days longer.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Greysandy said:

I'm so bummed that the Discovery Princess April 3, 2024 cruise to Mazatlan for the solar eclipse is already sold out in all categories. My travel agent put us on a waitlist with a deposit, so hopefully something opens up in the next year or so...

There is lots of availability on the HAL 2 week version, but it is on the Zaandam which is not my favorite ship, and it is much more expensive even though it is only 3 days longer.

If this helps at all, we were booked for a Mardi Gras cruise on another cruiseline very early and there were only inside cabins left.  By the time the sail date rolled around, we were able to upgrade to a balcony cabin for less $$ than the inside cabin and with the beverage package to boot.  
There might be some openings as we get into early 2024.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Level six said:

I am booked on this cruise and most of the people on our roll call are really into this cruise.  But, life happens, so you will probably get a cabin.  Heck, I might even cancel mine, haha.  Good luck. 

Wow there’s already a roll call! I guess I’m not the only science nerd. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

Have you checked some of the larger online travel agencies? They may have group space held. I googled your date and a couple came up.

I checked few but once I went into the booking it showed sold out. I may try a few others. 

Don’t lose hope. My dad was on a waitlist of over 100 for the Pacific Princess 50th Anniversary cruise back in 2015 that included the original Love Boat cast and he cleared the waitlist about 2 months prior. We were all shocked he actually was going to get to go.

• Like 1

I think cabins will open up—we’re booked on this cruise as well as the HAL total eclipse one.  Right now, the itinerary on the Discovery is a port day(Mazatlan) on the day of the eclipse; HAL will be at sea.  We really want a sea day and hope that Princess will change the itinerary.  If not, we cancel and go on the HAL cruise.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Greysandy said:

Wow there’s already a roll call! I guess I’m not the only science nerd. 

There's not only a roll call, there's a very long, very active roll call. I think it's true that most of us there booked this cruise either on elite day or the day after when it opened to the general public. We're all really excited about seeing another eclipse!

I agree with the others who've said that they expect some cabins to open up sometime down the road. 

• Like 5

If you want to go on the cruise, keep looking regularly. Don't count on your TA to make sure they book when something opens up. At least, in my experience with Princess that's how we got our cabin on a waitlisted cruise. 

Things usually open up after final payment, but people also drop out beforehand. Be vigilant 

• Like 2

I am not surprised this voyage shows sold out on Princess.com.  It went on sale some time back.  As had been indicated, there are quite likely cabins out there, but not available on Princess.com at this time.  Princess may be holding some back as well - not something we are privy to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, andydunn said:

I got on the wait list last week and they assigned me a cabin today - so there's movement.

Also iCruise.com had availability as of yesterday - its a Princess assigns your cabin later booking but they assured me they were not waitlists.

We just got an email today that we were waitlist matched to an interior cabin and to respond by tomorrow to book it! Woohoo, I’m so excited!

Now I’m just wondering how crazy it will be to book the Sanctuary 😄

• Like 4

13 hours ago, john1970 said:

I just checked the official Princess website and it is showing interior, balcony and mini suite so if you want you can still book or change to a better grade. 

This... 

What is happening is that everyone reserved a cabin at once... and had a few days to post their deposit. If they didn't pay, the reservations dropped. Plus people are just deciding to cancel their bookings. As of Thursday night there was Interior and Mini's available - but the minis were WL only. If you really want to get on this sailing, check back in the morning (every morning). Things will open up. Or put yourself on a WL.

As for the Roll Call, it's insane (Page 30 and going strong). Folks threatening to cancel their reservations if Princess doesn't do this and that:

- free eclipse viewing glasses is mandatory....

- If I don't get a Port side cabin (likely the direction the eclipse is coming from)....

- If the itinerary doesn't change to put the ship out to sea to chase the weather and the eclipse....

Geeze, that group is wound up (although I get the last point). If the ship is docked, then seeing the eclipse from the ship is really no different than seeing it on land as the path will touch on much of the US.  There's just a cruise before and after. 

I'm pretty sure Princess has more pressing (and time sensitive) things on their plate with the the "jump-started back to cruising" industry (like staffing!) than worry about a bunch of needy cruisers on a sailing that is 16 months away. 

I am actually a little concerned that all the folks calling / emailing  Princess about demands for this this sailing is simply going to piss them off at one point.

Be patient... I am pretty confident that cabins will open up.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Griff4AU said:

Geeze, that group is wound up (although I get the last point). If the ship is docked, then seeing the eclipse from the ship is really no different than seeing it on land as the path will touch on much of the US.

If you read the RC carefully you’ll realize it’s only a couple of posters who’ve gone over the deep end.  I agree it’s annoying.  The other 99% of posters are the usual happy easy going kind. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The energy level on the roll call for this cruise  has been wonderful!  It's exciting to see so many people preparing for this potentially life-changing event, and we are more than willing to accept those who have been a little "over exuberant" with their comments and ideas.  After all, we all want to maximize our chances of seeing the eclipse, and that can be easily accomplished with a simple itinerary adjustment to view the phenomenon at sea.  There is absolutely no down-side.  Everyone will get the same amount of port time and Princess will make money.  Today, balcony and mini-suite cabins can be booked on the Princess website, so grab one and join us for the cruise of a lifetime!

Mike&Elena 🌴👨👩🌴

• Like 3

7 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

If you read the RC carefully you’ll realize it’s only a couple of posters who’ve gone over the deep end.  I agree it’s annoying.  The other 99% of posters are the usual happy easy going kind. 

I'm booked on this cruise, but the deep end posters have caused me to reconsider it. The eclipse only takes up a small part of the cruise. Not sure I want to spend the rest of it with a bunch of fanatics. Stopped looking at the Roll Call. Also, I noticed the path is directly over my hometown in Ohio. Might be time for a reunion.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, billco said:

I'm booked on this cruise, but the deep end posters have caused me to reconsider it. The eclipse only takes up a small part of the cruise. Not sure I want to spend the rest of it with a bunch of fanatics. Stopped looking at the Roll Call. Also, I noticed the path is directly over my hometown in Ohio. Might be time for a reunion.

I'm on this cruise and that roll call too. You can spend as much or as little time as you like with the roll call folks. You don't need to even go to a meet and greet if you don't want to do that. It's all good.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 7:06 AM, john1970 said:

I just checked the official Princess website and it is showing interior, balcony and mini suite so if you want you can still book or change to a better grade. 

Very interesting. I just checked that, and a basic balcony is now going for more than $100 more than I paid for our CC mini. I was surprised when we booked that the prices were as low as they were. Looks like Princess is catching on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, billco said:

I am booked on this one along with 48 other really amazingly nice people.  Don’t let a few over the top folks run you off.  I think this cruise is going to be really fun!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Shelly97060 said:

Don’t let a few over the top folks run you off.  I think this cruise is going to be really fun!

Shelly is absolutely correct. Chances are you'll never meet any of these folks. So just ignore the insanity that's going on with some of the people. I'm just ignoring the Roll Call - and if something good happens with the itinerary, I am sure it will be posted in 20 places. 

While Mazatlán is a great place to be for the eclipse (center of the path), the rest of the cruise is a bit of a "yawn" for me, so I may be one of the many who dump my cabin if we don't put out to sea on the magic day.

• Like 3