Arcadia vs Iona...

Griffin83

33 minutes ago, Somerset Cruiser said:

The 710 club, Limelight club, the Dome, a spacious and light filled atrium and an unusual prom deck. Other than that just like Ventura. 

You forget the Olive Grove, Quays, a Multi screen movie theatre, acres more sunbathing areas on the upper decks as well much better shopping, if that floats your boat.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

This is why I take reviews with a pinch of salt. We love the Beach House on Iona and thought the Epicurian was overpriced. As to comparing ships, you cant, because everyone is looking for a different experience and amenities. 

Ships built 15-20 years ago of around 80000 tonnes are totally different to todays 150000 + monsters.

Get an overall view but research the ship and make your own mind up.

Hi,

Not a review, just an opinion. I agree, by the way, regarding the Epicurian being overpriced and that everyone should try for themselves, which is why we were eating there. 

We have been on Arcadia going again on her soon bit old but adults only so good for us as we are in our sixties, love Brittania just done a TA on her and going on Arvia next year on another TA, but there as been comparisons made of some ships being like Butlins at sea, sorry to say never been to Butlins nor want to so that comparison is lost on me.

12 hours ago, Bazrat said:

We have been on Arcadia going again on her soon bit old but adults only so good for us as we are in our sixties, love Brittania just done a TA on her and going on Arvia next year on another TA, but there as been comparisons made of some ships being like Butlins at sea, sorry to say never been to Butlins nor want to so that comparison is lost on me.

Posh folk use ' Butlins ' as a derogatory term. They mean only the common masses go there. They haven’t been either.🤣

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

34 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Posh folk use ' Butlins ' as a derogatory term. They mean only the common masses go there. They haven’t been either.🤣

Bit like "Mickey Mouse" watches!  Multi billion dollar entity based on one man's encounter with a mouse when he was down on his luck.  If Mickey Mouse is a sign of something cheap and nasty I'll take it any day ....   

• Like 3

I haven’t been to Butlins since I was a kid in the late 60’s and early 70’s. I absolutely loved it then, but it hasn’t appealed as an adult, even when we had young kids of our own. I do, however, know people who do both Butlins and P&O cruises nowadays, and when I asked about the differences, the view was that for an overall experience the P&O cruise wins, but the entertainment is better at Butlins.

I don’t think that the Entertainment Managers (or whatever they are called these days) help when it comes to people making these comparisons. In true ‘Red Coat’ style, the pathetic “Are you all having a good time?” questions to the audience absolutely smacks of holiday camps and, if I had the courage, rather than saying “yes” (which, by the way, I never join in with, as I’m not in a nursing home), I would shout out “Hi-di-Hi” 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Bit like "Mickey Mouse" watches!  Multi billion dollar entity based on one man's encounter with a mouse when he was down on his luck.  If Mickey Mouse is a sign of something cheap and nasty I'll take it any day ....   

Welcome back Megabear2

We all have missed your posts

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, zap99 said:

Ah!. But the amount of sun per passenger remains the same.🤔

It doesn't remain the same,  there can only be equivalent to 1 decks worth of area open to sun at the top of ship. (This is often spread over a few decks)

So an old ship with say 5 accommodation decks had 1 decks worth of open space to share with 5 accommodation decks of passengers

A mega ship with 10 accommodation decks has 1 decks worth  open sun to share with twice as many people . So the taller the ship , ie more accommodation decks,  the less space per passenger. Mega ships (not P&O) with amusement parks , go karting... on top will have even less sunbathing space per passenger

I have ingnored balconies as they will only be in sun for half day at most.

1 minute ago, Windsurfboy said:

It doesn't remain the same,  there can only be equivalent to 1 decks worth of area open to sun at the top of ship. (This is often spread over a few decks)

So an old ship with say 5 accommodation decks had 1 decks worth of open space to share with 5 accommodation decks of passengers

A mega ship with 10 accommodation decks has 1 decks worth  open sun to share with twice as many people . So the taller the ship , ie more accommodation decks,  the less space per passenger. Mega ships (not P&O) with amusement parks , go karting... on top will have even less sunbathing space per passenger

I have ingnored balconies as they will only be in sun for half day at most.

The power of the sun is the same irrespective of the Size of the ship, or beach, or country.

Went to Butlins in 80s with kids, I wanted to go home but kids absolutely loved it. It was cheap,  kids had a great time, and it was all we could afford then. Happy  kids good holiday.  Kids now like taking theirs to POSH  center parks. 

Meanwhile we're stuck with P&O , Saga and Cunard. 

18 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Went to Butlins in 80s with kids, I wanted to go home but kids absolutely loved it. It was cheap,  kids had a great time, and it was all we could afford then. Happy  kids good holiday.  Kids now like taking theirs to POSH  center parks. 

Meanwhile we're stuck with P&O , Saga and Cunard. 

I went to Butlins, once, with friends from work when I was a teenager. Had a great time. No real reason we have never been back. They have some nice musical festival weekends.  Perhaps one day.😁

4 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Apologies for going off topic, but the mention of Mickey Mouse watches reminded me of a joke that was doing the rounds shortly after (and maybe even during) the 1978 football World Cup. It went something like, "Just heard that Mickey Mouse has bought himself an Ally MacLeod watch", Ally MacLeod being the manager of the Scotland team at said tournament.

6 hours ago, zap99 said:

To be honest never met a posh person but I have met an awful lot of pretentious people 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

To be honest never met a posh person but I have met an awful lot of pretentious people 

Same here. I once had lunch with a rear admiral. Accent was as posh as posh could be, but the nicest and most unpretentious person you could hope to meet. I wouldn't like to have been on one of his cruise ships. It was at the time of the Falklands war.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 10:38 AM, Fionboard said:

Possibly, but also maybe the fact that they are practically giving Iona cruises away which may affect the demographic also. Enough said! It is like Marmite. Just need to accept that and pick the ship you prefer. On Iona at present there are many elderly folk and on Arcadia twice this year it has been a very mixed age range. 

You will have to let me know where they are giving Iona cruises away?

Mine cost me an arm and a leg.

13 minutes ago, Tony1878 said:

Cruise last week was £779 for single occupancy of balcony saver or £1000 with £400 obc select. Would not get decent B&B for £55 per night where I live! Practically giving it away.

1 hour ago, Tony1878 said:

Ours on Iona was £4000 for the2 of us in a select balcony. Hardly giving it away, but folk can do it on the cheap ( ish ).

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

Cruise last week was £779 for single occupancy of balcony saver or £1000 with £400 obc select. Would not get decent B&B for £55 per night where I live! Practically giving it away.

Are you sure this wasnt a spoof advert, I cannot see even P&O offering this price as per person for 2 passengers, and certainly not for single occupancy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Are you sure this wasnt a spoof advert, I cannot see even P&O offering this price as per person for 2 passengers, and certainly not for single occupancy.

This offer was on one or two specific cruises and was on sale for an extremely limited period.  It was toward the end of the offering of very large OBC promotion. The itinerary meant taking a big risk on weather so the cruise was not selling well.  Roughly the same sailing on 4/3/2023 currently offers single occupancy balcony at £1419 with £60 OBC and this looks a possible cruise for the sort of price slashing Fionboard enjoyed - I recall she sailed on the cruise she refers to.

14 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Object to your tone. I was on this cruise and booked it in October! 

13 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

This offer was on one or two specific cruises and was on sale for an extremely limited period.  It was toward the end of the offering of very large OBC promotion. The itinerary meant taking a big risk on weather so the cruise was not selling well.  Roughly the same sailing on 4/3/2023 currently offers single occupancy balcony at £1419 with £60 OBC and this looks a possible cruise for the sort of price slashing Fionboard enjoyed - I recall she sailed on the cruise she refers to.

I did, and only went on Iona because of the mega cheap price! 

• Like 1