What are the best dishes at Le Bistro?

pookel

17 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

And the Coq Au Vin is a real sleeper.  Once we discovered it, we couldn't get enough of it.

Was the dish made with a bone-in thigh and breast? I’ve never had Coq Au Vin and have wanted to try it.  

Edited by laudergayle

I last ate at a Bistro in 2008 but I remember really enjoying the rack of lamb and the cheese plate for dessert, which, fwiw, was cut directly from a tray that carried in my estimation about $2000 worth of wheels of cheese, which was kind of cool. Your mileage may vary. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, pookel said:

We have a reservation at Le Bistro to use our free specialty dining credit from Free at Sea. First-time cruisers and I've just been reading menus online. I love lobster, but is the $25 upcharge for the lobster thermidor really worth it? How does it compare to other options?

Also, any particular dessert/appetizer recommendations?

For context, we're adventurous eaters and are willing to try just about anything, but I'm curious as to others' opinions on dishes.

Our favorites in order

lobster

lamb

filet

We had the lobster the other night. Yummy. 

FF180D6D-FDC3-44C8-AEB7-D05BB25D83C2.jpeg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, pookel said:

We have a reservation at Le Bistro to use our free specialty dining credit from Free at Sea. First-time cruisers and I've just been reading menus online. I love lobster, but is the $25 upcharge for the lobster thermidor really worth it? How does it compare to other options?

For context, we're adventurous eaters and are willing to try just about anything, but I'm curious as to others' opinions on dishes.

Our favorites in order

lobster

lamb

filet

On 12/9/2022 at 1:39 PM, pookel said:

Our favorites in order

lobster

lamb

filet

02BD5E4A-7BDF-47DB-A688-6790BADF99E4.thumb.jpeg.1c68a9b360b794cb350d6729c60e54bf.jpeg

I have had the Dover Sole a couple of times and it was good. Last cruise I tried the Filet de Loup de Mer (Mediterranean sea bass) and really enjoyed it. The Roulade de Crabe et Saumon (crab and salmon appetizer) that is listed under the salads is very good. Light and fresh tasting. And I love the Marquise au Chocolate dessert. 

Just off the Breakaway a week and miss Le Bistro. The escargot was supreme and my wife's mushroom soup was very good. I'm embarrassed to admit I got the filet but honestly it was the best steak all week (and we were in the Haven).

My wife's lamb shank and chop were excellent.

We shared a  Marquis au chocolat for dessert and washed it down with 30 year port. We've eaten at Le Bistro on 9 different ships and it never dissapoints.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 1:39 PM, pookel said:

Just back from the Pride of America where we dined in Le Bistro. Ordered the Lobster Thermidor. Found the dish very disappointing. Not tender and sweet as I expected. Only my opinion but, based on my experience, would not recommend it. Having said that the other dishes we tried during our next visit, like the Sole Grenobloise and the Fruits de Mer, were very good. Bon appetite…

On 12/9/2022 at 3:46 PM, IrishKathy said:

I confess to being a Dover Sole snob and that particular entree at Le Bistro was the best I've had in DECADES.  Just fabulous.  

I also loved the endive salad, without the walnuts or pecans.  Endive with the Roquefort dressing makes a perfect meal.

Best Dover Sole I ever had sailing was on Oceania. On your recommendation, looking forward to trying it on the Prima in three weeks.

5 minutes ago, travelgip said:

Is this the lobster thermador?  Where there any claws or just the tail?  Thanks

probably.  According to the internet: Lobster Thermidor is a French dish of lobster meat cooked in a rich wine sauce, stuffed back into a lobster shell, and browned. The sauce is often a mixture of egg yolks and brandy, served with an oven-browned cheese crust, typically Gruyère.