Splendor Hotel and Embarkation Questions

marciefree

We are experienced cruisers but this is our first time on Regent.  We have the pre-cruise hotel stay at the Mandarin Oriental in Miami with 12:00 port arrival time.  As we have a home in South Florida, we typically travel directly to the port, check our luggage in and head straight into the terminal, but thought the pre-cruise stay would be a nice way to start our vacation.  Wondering how the luggage transfer works at the hotel and whether it is easier to simply call an Uber, head to the terminal and forego the transfers?  Thanks for your help.

I would use their luggage transfer and then get a taxi or uber for yourselves. They will pick up your luggage from your hotel room and next time you see it will be in your cabin.  You just need to check with the RSSC rep at the hotel to make sure it is okay for them to handle your luggage without you and to let them know you will not be taking the transfer.  Just keep whatever personal items with you. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jpcello said:

We’re taking our first regent cruise and staying at the AKA Brickell in Miami the night before our cruise. Why do you recommend taking an Uber instead of the Regent transfer if it’s part of the the package?

In Vancouver earlier this year they picked up our luggage while we ate at the supplied breakfast buffet.  We chose to take an Uber because we didn't want to arrive with the bus crowd.  We got there before the herd thus we processed easily and quickly.  The Uber was about $9cad.

We we got to the port, all the taxis were waiting at the dock area and didn't bother coming by the hotels. So while waiting for a taxi with a few in line before us, I downloaded the app, called a car and it arrived before the next taxi did.  When we got to L.A. there were no taxis to take us to LAX so we used Uber again.    The buses to the airport were still loading when we left.

That's why I don't use their transportation.

• Like 1

If you like to be herded in a crowd take the Regent bus. We like to go at our on pace without the crowd. The taxi for us was $20 in Miami, skipped the line and on the ship having a bit to eat in about 30 mins from door to door. Worth it for us….. we hate buses!

• Like 3

On 12/9/2022 at 8:04 PM, marciefree said:

We are experienced cruisers but this is our first time on Regent.  We have the pre-cruise hotel stay at the Mandarin Oriental in Miami with 12:00 port arrival time.  As we have a home in South Florida, we typically travel directly to the port, check our luggage in and head straight into the terminal, but thought the pre-cruise stay would be a nice way to start our vacation.  Wondering how the luggage transfer works at the hotel and whether it is easier to simply call an Uber, head to the terminal and forego the transfers?  Thanks for your help.

Are you aware that you can get a partial refund for now using the pre cruise hotel since you live in the area and then just dive to the pot with a few extra bucks in your pocket??

• Like 1

rallydave--I am aware we could have taken a credit, but it was such a small amount, we figured we would avoid the stress of driving directly to the port and start our vacation a night early.  Sounds like we will have Regent take our luggage and forego the bus in favor of a taxi or Uber.  Thanks for everyone's responses.  

• Like 1

In spite of my earlier response there is nothing wrong with taking the transfer but because you asked about taking an Uber it seemed to me that you might enjoy getting there at your own time and pace. We usually take the transfer cuz we are in cities we aren't familiar with and are not bothered by arriving by bus with other passengers. Though in our case the buses have rarely been full so were quite comfortable. Yes the wait can be longer to board but in the past it hasn't really been a problem. 

Have a great cruise. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2022 at 1:34 PM, 1982CruzStart said:

I would use their luggage transfer and then get a taxi or uber for yourselves. They will pick up your luggage from your hotel room and next time you see it will be in your cabin.  You just need to check with the RSSC rep at the hotel to make sure it is okay for them to handle your luggage without you and to let them know you will not be taking the transfer.  Just keep whatever personal items with you. 

That sounds like a good option, since in our case, we'll be driving to the port in our own car from the hotel and parking it.  Not having to deal with anything but hand luggage sounds good.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hvsteve1 said:

We're driving to Miami and staying at the Brickell. I had seen on line that cars with handicapped permits don't pay for parking in city garages. True? If so, could you leave a vehicle for 12 days?

I think you need to call the hotel to confirm that.  

On 12/14/2022 at 1:13 AM, hvsteve1 said:

We're driving to Miami and staying at the Brickell. I had seen on line that cars with handicapped permits don't pay for parking in city garages. True? If so, could you leave a vehicle for 12 days?

Interesting notion, but would you think it safe to leave it in a public garage for that long?  The Port of Miami offers secure parking, albeit at something like $22 a day.

7 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Interesting notion, but would you think it safe to leave it in a public garage for that long?  The Port of Miami offers secure parking, albeit at something like $22 a day.

Do you really think the port parking garage is more secure than a public garage??  And the only thing the hotel could tell the OP is whether the garage at the hotel is public or private, likely private.

To find out if you could park for multiple days in any garage is first determine if the garage you want to park in was public and then simply google the public authority owning the garage for any parking limitations with a handicapped identification. 

Just embarked on Splendor from Mandarin Oriental. I let them handle my bags and took an Uber to the ship. All worked perfectly. Beat the bus and bags arrived in my suite safely. Good tip from the Boards. Thanks.

• Like 2