Elevator issue upon disembarkation

Hobbes67

Usually travel with someone in a manual wheelchair - elevators make for good entertainment sometimes. Once waited 20min to get one that wasn't packed. Friend (in chair) literally says "this is crazy I'm taking the stairs" and went over to the stairs turned backwards, grabbed railing with one hand and bumped IN CHAIR down 3 decks to MDR. The look on the people's faces still standing waiting for the elevator as well as crew/passengers as he came down the final stairs right outside the MDR was priceless.   (was NOT on a princess ship) Think it was Celebrity. 

Side note - He hates when someone else in a chair or scooter charges through the crowd or runs over someone then gives him the stink eye as if he did it or will do it too. Some aren't jerks like the person OP encountered.  

Wonder if the hotel express elevator hack still works on cruise elevators - hold down the button for the floor someone is going to + the closed door button at the same time until destination floor is reached. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I think those of us who are more mobile really need to look out for those passengers to make sure they find a place on elevators. I’m not saying they should push ahead or be given preferential treatment, but unless someone speaks up, they (especially older couples who are both mobility impaired) are often overlooked in the rush for elevators, particularly after theater shows end. 

I rarely use the elevators, even with not so good knees. I think the bottom line to this issue is with the attitude of the person who needs room in the elevator. Kindness and a light hearted attitude will almost always buy you an elevator ticket. 

1 hour ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I think those of us who are more mobile really need to look out for those passengers to make sure they find a place on elevators. I’m not saying they should push ahead or be given preferential treatment, but unless someone speaks up, they (especially older couples who are both mobility impaired) are often overlooked in the rush for elevators, particularly after theater shows end. 

All they have to do is sit tight for 10 minutes after the show & things will clear themselves.

3 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I never said that was a reason to be demanding.  I said that because the poster mentioned that he didn’t think they needed a walker. You don’t know who needs a walker just by looking at them.  Some people are just jerks.

Pardon me, I did not mean to imply you were saying needing a walker is an excuse for being demanding.   I was saying regarding of reason for needing a walker, no reason to be demanding.  

The joy of being a big and tall baritone is that those who would rush the elevator and cut off mobility-impaired passengers get to hear my sonorous tones reminding them that there were people waiting and they need to let them board.  It’s quite the treat for them, I’m sure.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, pris993 said:

Pardon me, I did not mean to imply you were saying needing a walker is an excuse for being demanding.   I was saying regarding of reason for needing a walker, no reason to be demanding.  

I understood. I wasn’t calling you a jerk. I was calling the demanding person a jerk.

11 minutes ago, VibeGuy said:

The joy of being a big and tall baritone is that those who would rush the elevator and cut off mobility-impaired passengers get to hear my sonorous tones reminding them that there were people waiting and they need to let them board.  It’s quite the treat for them, I’m sure.  

That’s what it takes, and I applaud you for doing it. I, too, speak up (not a baritone but grew up in a family of boys and learned early how to be heard). It’s not always an issue, but when it is, it can be bad. One very elderly couple, both with walkers, told me they’d been there (mid ship elevator lobby) at least ten minutes and hadn’t made any progress at all. 

• Like 1

One way Princess could make this better is to put *one* elevator in each stack into staffed mode for two hours during disembarkation and run it nonstop from a given deck to deck 7, no up-to-go-down, rotating it through all cabin decks in that stack, and having a placard that says first priority for guests with mobility devices, second to those with luggage.  It may not be the fastest path off a given deck, but knowing there *will* be room the next time it shows up would take out a lot of the frustration.  

They should also stop ever using the MDR on 6 aft for disembarkation breakfast because of the extremely limited vertical conveyance there, but I’ll put that on my Christmas list right there with a unicorn and the Best WiFi At Sea. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 12/11/2022 at 11:30 AM, tonit964 said:

Not excusing her behavior but I can’t imagine what it’s like to have mobility issues and trying to get into an elevator. I have seen people in scooters waiting for elevators and people just rushing past them until it’s full and they have to hope they’ll get in on the next one.

She must have just been at her wits end.

If she had been pleasant and said she'd been waiting for a long time and her legs were tired, I'd have left the elevator to make room were I there.

As they say, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

They should also stop ever using the MDR on 6 aft for disembarkation breakfast because of the extremely limited vertical conveyance there, but I’ll put that on my Christmas list right there with a unicorn and the Best WiFi At Sea. 

In more than a dozen cruises with Princess ships, I've never seen the aft dining room on 6 used for disembarkation breakfast.  And we have always used dining rooms for breakfast on the day of disembarkation .

4 minutes ago, ijscheer said:

In more than a dozen cruises with Princess ships, I've neverseen the aft dining room on 6 used for disembarkation breakfast.  And we have always used dining rooms for breakfast on the day of disembarkation .

For years on the Emerald Princess, this is exactly how it was done. Disembarkation day breakfast was always in the Botticelli Dining Room. 

• Like 2

On 12/11/2022 at 12:02 PM, iamaqt2 said:

As far as the crazy lady on the scooter goes, I've always given priority in the elevator to people with mobility devices.  If the doors open and they're waiting, I'll exit to let them on.  But this lady would certainly make me rethink this courtesy. 

But as the OP indicated, the elevator was full. One or two people getting off still would not have made enough room for the woman to get on.

It is one thing to be sure to allow those with walkers/scooters to get on first when an elevator with room for them arrives.

It is another thing to expect a number of people to get off the elevator to make room for them.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, caribill said:

But as the OP indicated, the elevator was full. One or two people getting off still would not have made enough room for the woman to get on.

It is one thing to be sure to allow those with walkers/scooters to get on first when an elevator with room for them arrives.

It is another thing to expect a number of people to get off the elevator to make room for them.

It’s another thing to show respect for those with disabilities by offering to take the stairs if you are capable.

But, our world has less and less people willing to do this—-it’s their vacation and they paid for it— 

done here

• Like 3

On 12/11/2022 at 7:19 PM, donaldsc said:

Is the early flight a must?  Are there no other flights that leave at a better time so you don't have to rush off the ship?  It would make the last day of your cruise much less stressful if you took a later flight.  Just a suggestion.

DON

Lots of flights and disembarkation times to suit everyons preference. Ours as well is to do walk-off and take a late morning flight. Your preferences may be different. 

Edited by Buckeye10640

On 12/11/2022 at 12:03 PM, Hobbes67 said:

Sorry if this is long!  We were on deck 17 and kept waiting for an elevator, it would go up to 16 and then back down.  My husband finally used the stairs, but since I had the suitcase I waited along with 3 other people.  Finally the elevator came, we got in, and then of course stopped at each floor to pick up people.  Once full we had to turn others away.  We then got to a floor where one person had a walker and one a scooter.  We said there was no room, but she demanded that people get out of the elevator for her.  Claimed she had called 911 (not for medical emergency) to get an elevator.  You know what they told her.  When the elevator doors started to close she threw her body into the door frame and smiled.  Said if we didn't get out no one was going anywhere and she wouldn't move.  I have never experienced a crazy person like this on board.  There were a few people a little younger so they get out to make room.  (They didn't have luggage.)  Then she dropped her bag and some of her items fell out so we had to wait for her to pick them up.  I got off at 7 and she was still going down to 5.  When I got out she told me she hopes I get dementia.  What a way to ruin a cruise.  I hope I never become that bitter in my life!  Stay away from those crazy people...

Well we didnt encounter the crazy person, but we got an elevator to 17 pretty quickly at disembarkation. It stopped at every floor going down but it was empty when we got on!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, caribill said:

I get off because I'm able bodied and capable of taking the stairs if necessary.  I use the elevator because it's easy, not out of necessity.  If others can do the same and choose not to, to let the disabled person on, I have no control over that.  But my good karma bank will still be filling up.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 10:21 PM, PescadoAmarillo said:

For years on the Emerald Princess, this is exactly how it was done. Disembarkation day breakfast was always in the Botticelli Dining Room. 

I'll stand by my original statement. Including 2 sailings on Emerald, and a Sept 2022 sailing on Majestic, our disembarkation breakfast has always been in one of the central dining rooms.