Diamond Plus - No More Concierge/Suite Lounge Access

DaKahuna

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

Diamond members forget that the only items available in the D lounge was peanuts and sometimes pretzels.  Only sodas and wine were served.  Beer was extra.

Many years ago, similar issues popped up and remember someone posted that to bridge the gap between D+ and Ps was to introduce a new level titled "Black Diamond".  I thought the title was very impressive.

I'm not sure why folks getting so upset about this as in most of my sails (some 270 nights ago from the D tier) the CL was almost never available on all kinds of ships.  Was lucky only twice and it was on the Anthem.

Ps.  It can't be that bad in the DL as kids are still allowed in.

That was actually the "Diamond Event" which was introduced as an area in one of the lounges during happy hour after the Ds were kicked out of the CL.  There was no such thing as a DL until they were built on various ships to appease the uproar.    

Some of our most fond memories were of those "events" with the beer/wine/cheap bubbly on Freedom.  The "bar food peanuts" were appreciated as well.  And this former D....does remember.  😉 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

It was a “Diamond Event” that served wine, soda, and peanuts….they were only held on the ships without Diamond Lounges after D’s lost access to CL.  As DL’s (with all the DL features) were added to the ships, Diamond Events gradually disappeared.

Except for MJ and Monarch.   No lounges on those.  The event was held up in the VCL...and was also very good!  🙂 

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

Loved the location on the Brilliance class.  Beautiful view and overflow was to the VCL.

It's technically the "Radiance class".   Four sisters, Radiance, Jewel, Brilliance, and Serenade (of where I am currently on and typing from my cabin).   

This ship is not doing the overflow into the VCL.   Vouchers can,  and are,  used at any bar....any time.  No need for overflow.  

16 minutes ago, hannibal54 said:

Perfect timing, we sail on the Jewel 12-17. We are D+ but we will be with a Gold member so no loyalty lounges anyway.

We were not allowed access to the CL on recent Jewel sailing and did not anticipate CL access on our upcoming Jewel sailing.  You’d probably have had a note in your cabin anyway.

3 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

We were not allowed access to the CL on recent Jewel sailing and did not anticipate CL access on our upcoming Jewel sailing.  You’d probably have had a note in your cabin anyway.

We did a B2B on the Explorer in March and no notice either leg. No biggie. We already new from 2019.  DL is in a better location than the CL. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, davekathy said:

We did a B2B on the Explorer in March and no notice either leg. No biggie. We already new from 2019.  DL is in a better location than the CL. 

Indeed...way better location with a great view.  CL on EX is an inside walk in closet 😮 ....but soooo convenient to our deck 9 hump JS cabin we had...just steps to the coffee (you don't use).  😄  

Drats...Voyager has been amped, took that CL out and put in a set of inside cabins.  No more CL...SL on VCL deck (like sister Mariner).  Guess I have to run upstairs now...but at least I have a choice of coffee machines with DL and SL on same deck.  😉 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Indeed...way better location with a great view.  CL on EX is an inside walk in closet 😮 ....but soooo convenient to our deck 9 hump JS cabin we had...just steps to the coffee (you don't use).  😄  

Drats...Voyager has been amped, took that CL out and put in a set of inside cabins.  No more CL...SL on VCL deck (like sister Mariner).  Guess I have to run upstairs now...but at least I have a choice of coffee machines with DL and SL on same deck.  😉 

No running young lady and especially with hot coffee. 😉 BTW, did you enjoy Bimini?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Voyager DL and SL are not on the same deck.  DL is outside the Star Lounge (old cigar lounge?) on deck 5.

Voyager SL is where DL is on Mariner.  Izumi is at the Mariner SL location.

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

No running young lady and especially with hot coffee. 😉 BTW, did you enjoy Bimini?

LOL!!!   Luckily we carry our travel mugs with covers!  😄  

Umm...nope, did not like the part of Bimini we went to at all.  Instead of going left as most do when leaving the pier, we went right taking a taxi into the "capital" of the tiny island, Alice Town.  Researched several restaurants down there that advertised as open for lunch...they were not.  Place is run down, dirty, garage/trash everywhere with narrow "goat path" streets (golf carts being the main transport there).   Ended up grabbing a ride on a golf cart with another couple (after sharing some beers to tide us over from a convenience store) .... all going back to the ship for lunch.

If we ever go there again, we may try the other (developed and touristy) area....not sure.  Fish and huge sharks were fun to watch in the clear water though!  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, island lady said:

LOL!!!   Luckily we carry our travel mugs with covers!  😄  

Umm...nope, did not like the part of Bimini we went to at all.  Instead of going left as most do when leaving the pier, we went right taking a taxi into the "capital" of the tiny island, Alice Town.  Researched several restaurants down there that advertised as open for lunch...they were not.  Place is run down, dirty, garage/trash everywhere with narrow "goat path" streets (golf carts being the main transport there).   Ended up grabbing a ride on a golf cart with another couple (after sharing some beers to tide us over from a convenience store) .... all going back to the ship for lunch.

If we ever go there again, we may try the other (developed and touristy) area....not sure.  Fish and huge sharks were fun to watch in the clear water though!  

Thanks for the insider tip. 🍻

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

We were on Jewel Nov 6 and 13 (b2b) and the letter said no CL for us D+.    DL was pretty busy until about 6-615 and then it got a bit quieter.  On Jewel, Pinns share the same space as DL overflow with a few seats and tables reserved for Pinns only.  

33 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Voyager DL and SL are not on the same deck.  DL is outside the Star Lounge (old cigar lounge?) on deck 5.

Voyager SL is where DL is on Mariner.  Izumi is at the Mariner SL location.

Oh that's right...thanks!!  🙂  I forgot sister Mariner was the one with both SL and DL on VCL deck.  

I had researched deck plans quite a while ago for Voyager, finding the DL where the old cigar bar was in front of the forward lounge.  Thanks!  Old brain simply forgot.  😵

That was were the doomed "Pinnacle event" was on EX.  With only 11 of us on one week, and 10 on the next week...they finally shut it down.  We just hung out on EX at the VCL bar for happy hour each of the 3 weeks.  Will plan on doing it again on Voyager.  🙂 

On 12/12/2022 at 1:23 PM, DaKahuna said:

We are booked in suites for all three cruises.  I have found that if I want Lounge access, I might as well book a suite.   

Agreed.  What is so hard about that?  It's not like shelling out big bucks for a full suite gave us access to the Diamond Lounge and it always seemed like the CL would get jam-packed from the D and D+ members flashing their status pins. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, midwife1021 said:

Agreed.  What is so hard about that?  It's not like shelling out big bucks for a full suite gave us access to the Diamond Lounge and it always seemed like the CL would get jam-packed from the D and D+ members flashing their status pins. 

If you are not at least Diamond or above...you would have no access to the Diamond Lounge...full suite or not.  

D and D+ do not have access to the Concierge Lounge.  Only full suites, and occasionally Pinnacles, but only if numbers are low.  

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2022 at 1:11 PM, DaKahuna said:

When we used it, we always thought it was a little more quiet than the Diamond Lounge and had better service.  We especially like it on Brilliance due to the nice small bar they had in the lounge. 

Same on Serenade. We were on her last month and they had just let D+ back in.

On 12/12/2022 at 1:23 PM, DaKahuna said:

We have one upcoming RCCL and two Celebrity cruises booked for next year. 

We are booked in suites for all three cruises.  I have found that if I want Lounge access, I might as well book a suite.   

We're embarking on experimenting with junior suites for nonOasis class ships. It seems like it may be more cost effective to book and then buy the drink, WIFI, and dining package. We'll see.

20 minutes ago, island lady said:

Makes sense, though I never researched that one....since we have still not had the pleasure to cruise on the fourth sister.   Maybe someday!  😉   

There are actually 5 Voyager class sisters. VY, EX, AD, NV, and MA. 

Maybe you are referring to them as [ship] and her four sisters?