Are fishing rods allowed?

michellecruise123

Hello,

I am going on the world cruise and I was wondering if fishing rods and lures are allowed on Princess ships? Of course, I won't be fishing while on the ship, but when in ports in fishing areas. It would be a travel rod, so it packs up quite small. 

Yes, I realize that fishing licenses may be required in some places. I am fine with that.

Thanks!

Edited by michellecruise123

First, I don't know anything about fishing. At a glance, I didn't see it mentioned, but at the bottom is a notation that the crew may use their discretion on items. Consider that a knife and sissors would be confiscated. Here's the list, under prohibited items:

https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/prepare-for-your-cruise/

Edited by mtnesterz

We were on the Tahitian Princess in 2007 in Bora Bora in a Mini Suite.

We watched as the cabin above us reeled in a fish above us and the fished passed us on the balcony. Not sure what happened to the fish.

Serious no BS.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

26 minutes ago, Gprotts said:

On the Sky now with a travel rod and lures. No problem! Took them on all three ports! 

I tried this one time in Mexico years ago. The local kids with no rods, just simple hand lines and live bait, were out fishing me terribly and looked at me like I was from Mars. They were nice enough to offer me some live bait because they felt sorry for my ignorance.  🤪

I am one of the few people who have not only fished from a cruise ship, but also caught something. 2003 on a Panama Canal crossing. My first cruise. We were on a balcony starboard side. First thing when we unpacked our suitcases, I expanded a telescoping fishing rod, threaded the line through the guides and attached a shiny fish lure. I leaned it against the balcony railing so the lure would  swing in the wind or rock with the boat. I did hear people gossip about seeing it from outside viewing areas up above.

It was going to be impossible to fish from the balcony due to the lifeboats below. So after searching the ship for a suitable place I found the perfect deck. The Prominade deck. I think it was deck 5. This is the deck you could walk around the entire ship.

The ship moves pretty fast. Too fast for trolling. And if you hooked something at that speed it would spool you very quickly. So I figured it would have to be at a port. I got my chance at Aruba. We were leaving later in the evening. I stealthily brought the  rod and reel downstairs. I didn't know if it was against the Ship's policy to fish from the ship, but didn't ask either. My sister said that I was going to get thrown in the ships jail (Brig?) Anyway, I used a lure called a Buzz Bomb. It's a jigging lure. This one was painted so that it glowed in the dark. They had some very bright 220volt flood lights that I dangled the lure in front of to get a good glow.

I dropped it down into the water from 20 feet above. I did have one couple who walked on by who asked "Are you doing what we think you are doing?",  Yes.

I also had a ship crew member ask if i had caught anything. I worked the jig up and down and had a hit. I wasn't big. It looked to me like a small rockfish about 10 inches long and light orange in color. I unhooked and  dropped the fish back in the water  That was it for that trip. 

I also fished for a short time on the stern while anchored off of Cabo on another cruise.. No bites there. 

So to  answer you, yes,  it has been done. A telescoping rod fits nicely into your suitcase. Don't forget the reel and some artificial lures . Might be hard to secure bait, Ii would make the contents of your luggage stink. Fish from a cruise ship at your own risk. It's up to you to find out if it is legal or against ship policy.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, michellecruise123 said:

Oh, great to hear! The Princess agent I talked to yesterday said that they were strictly prohibited. So I'm just confused.

You'll always get conflicting answers if you call the main office. 

Call back & you'll get the answer you hoping for. 😉

• Haha 1

The call center feels empowered to create the answers they feel like.  For example, meals aren’t included unless you book Plus, you can cruise the Panama Canal on a passport card and you can’t get off in ports without a shore excursion. 

On 12/14/2022 at 6:25 PM, michellecruise123 said:

Hello,

I am going on the world cruise and I was wondering if fishing rods and lures are allowed on Princess ships? Of course, I won't be fishing while on the ship, but when in ports in fishing areas. It would be a travel rod, so it packs up quite small. 

Yes, I realize that fishing licenses may be required in some places. I am fine with that.

Thanks!

This might be more practical for travel:

714tL-pWPYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Back in the day, the commercials showed users reeling in whales!

I am stunned that it is still available.

https://www.amazon.com/Ronco-Pocket-Fisherman/dp/B0947GGVPT?th=1