Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

Does anyone know what the "Altitude Restaurant" is? At first I thought it would've been the suites restaurant since it is right above the suite lounge, but I thought there was a venue called "Signature Restaurant" off the Piazza so now I'm unsure.

12 minutes ago, talkorpi said:

Does anyone know what the "Altitude Restaurant" is?

Well,....Princess has never officially confirmed nor denied the existence of such a thing lol. It's only been in the leaked plans.

I think it would've made sense to put the suites dining back there as well, but it can't be with the Signature downstairs. It could still be a separate suites-only venue we don't know about yet (something akin to the 360 venue but on a grander scale), but we'll see. 

1 hour ago, snoozecrooze said:

Well,....Princess has never officially confirmed nor denied the existence of such a thing lol. It's only been in the leaked plans.

I think it would've made sense to put the suites dining back there as well, but it can't be with the Signature downstairs. It could still be a separate suites-only venue we don't know about yet (something akin to the 360 venue but on a grander scale), but we'll see. 

I thought maybe behind the "black door" you see in some of the videos, that would be where the 360 venue is hiding. 🤷‍♀️

This is a bit off-topic but I feel like the vibes in this thread were a bit of a downer when Park19 was first revealed, because overall, I do support the targeting of the families, especially since Carnival is in dire need of easy money and even Celebrity has made it very clear they are desperate for families and easy money as well with the redeployment of Beyond and Reflection in 2024.

But I totally get the sentiments. TUI Cruises (the German line) released renderings of their new sun decks on their upcoming new class of ships (161,000 gross tons), scheduled to debut in 2024, and I think it represents pretty well what the balance between big ship and vast lounging spaces could've looked like. I certainly don't see the Princess of the future leaning in this direction, given the strong trends toward further democratization of the mode and the financial incentive to do what they're currently doing with Sun and Star. And if Carnival was focused on premiumization, I really think it will be centered on Seabourn or even the HAL of the future. But I do think it's interesting to just have a ponder about this other direction Princess could've taken with the Sphere-class.

TUI New Ship Rendering

TUI New Ship Rendering

TUI New Ship Rendering

TUI New Ship Rendering

[SOURCE of images]

• Like 2

On 6/27/2023 at 3:41 PM, antsp said:

What was everyone's thoughts on the Cirque show, will it be a up charge like msc

Post-pandemic, they tested the concept with some brief performances in the piazza that match the description, save for the potential for aerialists. If Princess does multiple 20-30 minute performances in a central space, it should not require an up charge. As for the new, configurable theater, it will be interesting to see what they design for that but I don’t foresee an up charge unless you mean a more expensive cruise. 😉

On 7/6/2023 at 3:16 PM, snoozecrooze said:

Actually it was mentioned during the shipyard tour too so it is kind of official as a speciality dining venue - the shipyard workers were calling it 'altitudes'for the time being. 

• Thanks 2

I could see Princess with another upcharge specialty restaurant.

But, unfortunately, what I don't really see, or predict, is any improvement of the mediocre quality of offerings that are now in the two main current specialty restaurants.  (I have not experienced the one on the newest ships.)

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

But, unfortunately, what I don't really see, or predict, is any improvement of the mediocre quality of offerings that are now in the two main current specialty restaurants.  (I have not experienced the one on the newest ships.)

On our last Princess cruise we did Club Class(now Reserve) Cabins were nice sized. Food quality in the "sectioned off" part of the main DR. was no better than the rest of the MDR. Being told the special(meaning only in Club Class)of the night was Spaghetti & Meatballs was really lame. Now we did do the Ultimate Balcony dinner(served inside due to rain) This was fantastic & shows what Princess can offer if they put their mind to it. We do have a Cabana Reserve cabin in 2025. Reserve & the Suites now get their "own" dining rooms. I certainly hope that the quality is better for the price we will be paying. 

• Like 1

We are new to Princess after Celebrity. We have done Regal and Sky. We have Sky and Sun booked. We are in a reserve cabana mini suite also. I have to say, in comparison, the food on our regal cruise was disappointing but it was right after the restart. Sky was much better and the specialty restaurants are much cheaper than celebrity 

3 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

are you a pessimist being optimistic or an optimist being a pessimistic ? 

Confused-dude GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited by c-boy
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

In some way, I am happy to not have the passenger rights that US folks seem to have.

I cannot cancel without losing about at least 1000 $, so I guess I will have to go on my cruise no matter what naysayers might guess before it started...

I would be surprised if the food would be great. They let the food down on most affordable cruise lines. Even though I recently had a positive surprise on QM2 - which is Carnival... So... What can one do except crossing fingers?

I believe my Cabana stateroom within the upper half of the Sphere will be a blast, how could it not? And I believe the ship will be very pretty on the interior, even though it appears to be a giant thing.

For me, it is only one week. I have never been on Princess, mostly did Celebrity. I am looking forward to that, and if it is just for curiosity´s sake.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nemanoxer said:

So... What can one do except crossing fingers?

You can also lower your expectations and you might be pleasantly surprised when even the most basic things are more than adequately done.

26 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

You can also lower your expectations and you might be pleasantly surprised when even the most basic things are more than adequately done.

I would do that when booking MSC or Carnival, no doubt.

We had limited expectations for the food on our last cruise, on Regal.

Especially after some not-so-great reviews coming in after Regal had returned to FLL.

And, guess what, most, MOST of the time, the food was very good!

The biggest disappointment was both the food, and the experience, at Crown Grill.

Our experience, and even the beef, at our usual table in the MDR was better!

The wafer thin slices of Prime Rib on that night were almost laughable....

Should have immediately had them bring more.

But, we have supper fairly early and fairly quickly,  so we just enjoyed the small portion that was served, and kept going with our evening.

We had a wonderful cruse!

Never went hungry or too disappointed.

Even got our favorite double-lounger in the Sanctuary!

: )

What is good about Princess are the things that they DO get right.

Experience and realistic expectations are key!

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 2

On 7/11/2023 at 2:32 PM, Wishing on a star said:

Go to Catch By Rudi.  Far from mediocre.

And there are more than just two specialty restaurants on many of the ships in the fleet.

Book a voyage on the Sun or the Star, they will be raising the bar compared to the rest of the fleet, similar to how the Excel Class ships raised the bar for Carnival.  But I will infer that you have not sailed on the Celebration or the Mardi Gras.

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2023 at 1:06 PM, liamur14 said:

We were looking to book Med 2024 on the Sun, but it looks Huge. We are seniors, so I think I will book the Island Princess 20-Day Grand Mediterranean Explorer, Sept 25 th, Rome to Venice. Anyone one else?

The Island will be 21 years old and comes in at 92 K tons.  Versus a brand new ship that is 175 K tons.  

What is the largest cruise ship you have taken in the past?  The Sun will come in around the 18th largest when she debuts.  The Island is around 85th.  

New ships have growing pains, but no where near the problems of ships that are over 20 years old.  The ports are one aspect of your trip, the vessel that gets you to each port should be just as important. But if a 175 K ton ship scares you, enjoy what you're accustomed to.

Edited by CruizinSusan70

On 7/12/2023 at 1:02 PM, Wishing on a star said:

We had limited expectations for the food on our last cruise, on Regal.

Especially after some not-so-great reviews coming in after Regal had returned to FLL.

And, guess what, most, MOST of the time, the food was very good!

The biggest disappointment was both the food, and the experience, at Crown Grill.

Our experience, and even the beef, at our usual table in the MDR was better!

This makes me sad you had a bad experience. Our best experience with Crown Grill was on Regal. I’m so sorry. 

My concern with Princess is that their service isn’t top notch. I always feel that it’s “ good enough” but not the best. Now they are adding the Signature Series. If they can’t deliver good quality on their ships now, how will they deliver extra special service on the Sun?  Celebrity treats their Retreat guests like royalty and I love it. Taking one last chance with Princess but I just don’t see them succeeding. 

Thoughts?

14 minutes ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

My concern with Princess is that their service isn’t top notch. I always feel that it’s “ good enough” but not the best. Now they are adding the Signature Series. If they can’t deliver good quality on their ships now, how will they deliver extra special service on the Sun?  Celebrity treats their Retreat guests like royalty and I love it. Taking one last chance with Princess but I just don’t see them succeeding. 

Thoughts?

Celebrity has had a few years and three different Edge Class ships to hone their skills with the Retreat.  I would wait to judge Princess until the Star comes out so that they have a chance to get acclimated to the ship within a ship concept on the Sun.  But if you jump the gun and don't like what Princess offers, then you can always stick with Celebrity or jump ship to the Haven on NCL or the Yacht Club on MSC.

Edited by CruizinSusan70

7 minutes ago, mlmbar said:

I disagree!  After having done many cruises with RCI and Celebrity, I find service on Princess to be equal or better. Maybe I am not demanding enough?? 

There is a difference between those that cruise in the general population and those that cruise in the ship within a ship concept.  It of course is on Celebrity with the Retreat, RCI with the Star Class, MSC with the Yacht Club and NCL with the Haven.  Those that prefer the exclusive locations can at times be very demanding because of the premium that they paid for their cruise.

• Like 1

😄   demanding ? I pictured a seven year old when I read that .

Tantrums of 'terrible twos' seen in much older children in pandemic |  Children | The Guardian

I prefer , we have expectations because of the premium that was paid for the cruise.

Edited by c-boy
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1