Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

For those of you who have been following the Sun’s progress this past year, there have been a number of videos posted by various media representatives, taken while participating in the shipyard tours that Princess ran, on several occasions, during several stages of the construction.  Late this evening I ran into the  gentlemen was has been the “face” of the Sun Princess, both to the public and travel agent community, and who led all those tour groups.  He has been overseeing the Sun project since its inception, for the past 7 years.  He is probably the most knowledgeable Princess manager about all things Sun, and I was shocked to see him.  In my opinion he is a really nice, down to earth person, who deeply cares about his “new baby”.  We spent quite a while together, and I asked him a lot of questions.  I thought you might be interested in some of our canversation.

(1)  I asked why we were only given a 3 days notice for the 2/18 sailing cancellation.  At first he gave the “corporate approved response” “it was due to a technical problem”.  I gently pushed him as to what exactly that technical problem was, and why not cancel sooner.  He was not allowed to give me a specific answer, but that it was “below deck 4” and it was actually found immediately prior to the originally scheduled handover early on February 13.  It really was a last minute “surprise problem”, they didn’t know how long it would take to correct, so they chose to err on the side of caution, and  cancelled the 2/18 sailing later that day.  Hence the late night cancellation text we all received.

(2) You may have read, that everyone received a letter in our staterooms today from John Padgett (President of Princess).  Buried amongst the flowery prose, in the 5th paragraph was the following:  “However, there are a few areas onboard that will not be fully operational during your cruise, including elements of Park19, Spellbound by Magic Castle, and the production shows planned for The Dome, and The Arena, which are in rehearsal and not yet available.”  I asked , why are all the production shows still in rehearsal, when they were rehearsing on land at the shipyard, and they had 14 days since the handover to rehearse on the ship.  His reply, was that it’s not so much that the entertainers aren’t ready, but that the Arena and the entertainment portion of the Dome is still being prepared.

I complained to the folks in guest services about how disappointed that guests are, about not being able to see the major entertainment shows that Princess has been hyping.  And, that the additional on-board credit that they are bribing us with, doesn’t make up for what is an important aspect of why many passengers take a cruise.  The Guest Services rep said they might have the production show entertainers, perform few out-takes from the shows, in the Piazza.  And, tonight the headliner magician Nathaan Phan, did do his performance in the Piazza (instead of the main theater).  The problem is that there is limited seating, offering adequate views of the Piazza’s entertainment area, on the 3 decks surrounding it.  Maybe seating for 150 people tops, whereas The Arena seats about 1000 passengers.  It would be impossible to move a production show designed and built for the large theater, to a temporary location, where the majority of passengers would not be able to attend.

(3) I asked Richard, if he was going to be on board for the whole 10-night cruise.  He said he plans to be on board most of March, as he wants to get feedback about all the various aspects of this new ship.  Then they will use some of that feedback to make improvements on the Star Princess, which is currently under construction.  

My flight from the U.S. was delayed, so I didn’t board the ship until about 2;30PM.  I’ll try to post some of my observations in the coming days.  But, here as a few initial ones.  One thing that I really like are the new elevators.  These are similar to what they have on the Icon Of The Seas.  When you enter the elevator bank area, there a several large touch pads with all the floor numbers listed.  You tap the floor you want to go to, and the computer tells you which elevator you should go wait in front of.  When you enter the elevator, there are NO floor buttons to push.  That elevator is programmed to go directly to the floor you requested, or sometimes is will be stopping on 2 different floors.  It’s really strange not to see any floor buttons.  Princess dropped the ball, in that it does not have any instructions posted to teach passengers how to use this new system.  I remember seeing videos taken on the Icon, that had large signs positioned in every elevator lobby explaining how to use this great new system.

In the main dining room, I noticed that the always available section was missing one of my favorites…French Onion Soup.  I asked the waiter and section manager was this just a printing mistake (as every other ship in the fleet has it), they came back apologizing that at least on the Sun, it would no longer be offered.  Cost cutting strikes again.  I usually order the Fettuccini Alfredo frequently.  When my order came, the portion size was SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than what I have gotten on other ships.  Zapped again!  Now I know it is going to be necessary to ask for a double “Sun size” portion each time.

And, while I hope to have official confirmation from management until tomorrow, today up at Coffee & Cones on Deck 17, they were NO LONGER offering COMPLIMENTARY soft serve ice cream.  I was there getting my Premium Desert, when another passenger asked for a soft serve, and was told it would be $5.  I question the staff member about that, as it is free on every other ship in the fleet, and she said her supervisor told her soft serve was going to be chargeable for EVERYONE…even if they had PLUS or PREMIER, as soft serve wasn’t a premium desert.  I’m waiting to hear from Guest Services to confirm if that is in fact a new policy on the Sun.  I’ll let you know.

Oh! I was standing in the aft elevator lobby, waiting for my elevator, when I looked up to see Chef Rudy Sodamin walking past me.  

Need to get to bed.  Haven’t slept in over 48 hours.

Dr. J

• Like 8
  • Thanks 26
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, dides said:

I saw this posted on response to a query about cabin balconies in the Sphere but could not locate more details. 

Almost looks like it could be one of the extended balconies in the sphere. Looks like a cave.

• Haha 1

No French Onion soup would be a real heartbreaker from my husband. I hope they don't extend that to other ships. Interesting about the soft serve - $5 for that little cone seems a little outlandish!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

What cabin is this?  Photo from another site, they didn't cite source or cabin type/number.

hallwaysun.jpg

Based on what I’m seeing in the background, my best guess it is one of the handful of aft-facing handicapped accessible staterooms.  It looks too deep to be in the sphere.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dides said:

I saw this posted on response to a query about cabin balconies in the Sphere but could not locate more details. 

8 minutes ago, cruisedoctor said:

Based on what I’m seeing in the background, my best guess it is one of the handful of aft-facing handicapped accessible staterooms.  It looks too deep to be in the sphere.

I don't know but it sure looks like it is in the sphere.

image.thumb.jpeg.1e2b93f769b173ed6ba05467031b9dce.jpeg

29 minutes ago, cruisedoctor said:

And, while I hope to have official confirmation from management until tomorrow, today up at Coffee & Cones on Deck 17, they were NO LONGER offering COMPLIMENTARY soft serve ice cream.  I was there getting my Premium Desert, when another passenger asked for a soft serve, and was told it would be $5.  I question the staff member about that, as it is free on every other ship in the fleet, and she said her supervisor told her soft serve was going to be chargeable for EVERYONE…even if they had PLUS or PREMIER, as soft serve wasn’t a premium desert.  I’m waiting to hear from Guest Services to confirm if that is in fact a new policy on the Sun.  I’ll let you know.

No free soft serve?!?!  Seriously, that is crappy!  I LOVE their chocolate soft serve, but I am not wiling to pay $5 for a scoop.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

No French Onion soup would be a real heartbreaker from my husband. I hope they don't extend that to other ships. Interesting about the soft serve - $5 for that little cone seems a little outlandish!

They're charging for cones now?

Are they also going to charge people to use the elevator?

• Haha 4

Is it just me or do others have concerns that Princess ruined the Piazza, something that helped define them as classic and yet casual cruise line. From the videos and pictures I have seen the traditional circular Princess stairs are gone. The whole Piazza is a circular and uniform lacking any classic style and they have added massive flat panel screens. The new tiered seating on the upper levels does provide more seating area to view the Piazza shows but it is pretty bland bench seating lacking any sort of elegance of a traditional Princess Piazza. It doesn't look welcoming or relaxing at all. Hope it is different in person.

Pictures from and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8mJVJRy-gI&t=28s and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bp_4zTeOpc

image.thumb.png.f539ab38fac375b5e8060744d2a0853e.png

image.thumb.png.1ffd46aa97e73a189c6e0bca2eb616cf.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

They're charging for cones now?

Are they also going to charge people to use the elevator?

Princess Plus gives you two elevator rides per day while Premier offers unlimited elevator access.

• Haha 21

42 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

I don't know but it sure looks like it is in the sphere.

image.thumb.jpeg.1e2b93f769b173ed6ba05467031b9dce.jpeg

Maybe Princess should install 4 Bowling lanes instead. 🤔

Edited by EDVM96
  • Haha 6

Okay...  WOW.     a cruise line that is marketing to 'families' with NO soft serve ice cream???

Princess is really not even living in reality with some of this stuff.

Maybe when they get enough feedback, and a few shirts come out of their cubicles and see what the response is on the ship...

NOPE...  just wishful thinking. 

• Like 1

To BOREAL, I say, THANK YOU for the photos of the 17604 balcony and video of the room.  It all confirms that I love my choice for a December 2024 cruise on the Sun Princess.  I chose a D0 on Deck 15 so I will be a little further away from the overhang (the overhang was a pain when trying to take photos of tall mountains in Alaska).  The nice-sized balcony looks just as I hoped -- one can sit privately yet have a curved view.  Or one can go to the railing and see what's happening.  I think I see a connecting door on the balcony, so I am hoping that it can be opened since my brother will be in the next cabin.  If not, we'll both just hang out over the railing and chat!

Again, thanks to everyone for all the photos, videos, links, and information.  Now don't forget to take time for fun!

My guess on the untitled photo with the long tunnel balcony is a Premium Deluxe Balcony room (D1) on Deck 14, 15 or (D2) on Deck 16 in the Sphere -- the diagram shows very long boxes for the balcony.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, valdean said:

To BOREAL, I say, THANK YOU for the photos of the 17604 balcony and video of the room.  It all confirms that I love my choice for a December 2024 cruise on the Sun Princess.  I chose a D0 on Deck 15 so I will be a little further away from the overhang (the overhang was a pain when trying to take photos of tall mountains in Alaska).  The nice-sized balcony looks just as I hoped -- one can sit privately yet have a curved view.  Or one can go to the railing and see what's happening.  I think I see a connecting door on the balcony, so I am hoping that it can be opened since my brother will be in the next cabin.  If not, we'll both just hang out over the railing and chat!

Again, thanks to everyone for all the photos, videos, links, and information.  Now don't forget to take time for fun!

My guess on the untitled photo with the long tunnel balcony is a Premium Deluxe Balcony room (D1) on Deck 14, 15 or (D2) on Deck 16 in the Sphere -- the diagram shows very long boxes for the balcony.

Did I miss this? I’ve been waiting for it. So many posts have came in today. Which post # was it? I’d love to see it!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CDNCruiser55 said:

Princess Plus gives you two elevator rides per day while Premier offers unlimited elevator access.

So funny!   I love these type of elevators -- Marriott Times Square has had them for years.  But the true test will be DISEMBARKATION DAY !! In "theory" I think it may improve that process.  It should help folks in wheelchairs and scooters.  It was an absolute nightmare trying to disembark with my mother in a scooter; the lifts were usually full whether up or down as passengers got in regardless.  This way you know which elevator is yours and line up accordingly.  We'll see. So fingers, toes, hairs, and eyes all crossed that this will be an improvement all the way around - without extra cost or restrictions!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, vividharp said:

Did I miss this? I’ve been waiting for it. So many posts have came in today. Which post # was it? I’d love to see it!

I went back and found it!  Hopefully, this info is consistent for anyone.  The photos are on page 113, Post #2804;  the video is on page 114, Post #2839.  The poster is BOREAL.

• Thanks 4

37 minutes ago, valdean said:

Dang it. I have a D1 on deck 14 for the Star Princess next year. Maybe I can change it for something else. I thought it would be nice to have that long balcony not a long dark tunnel.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lstone19 said:

So with Premier, $5 for the soft ice cream but unlimited premium desserts. I guess I’ll order a premium dessert, eat one cone’s worth of the soft ice cream, and throw the rest away.

Indeed, I am hoping the charge for soft serve is just miscommunication between staff.  If not, then this is liable to result in a lot of food wasted by people doing exactly this.  Why pay the fee for soft serve if your package already includes a higher tier dessert (assuming they're still made with gelato) that you can order, eat what you want and toss the rest?  Even if someone "only" opted for Princess Plus, that still covers 2 premium desserts per day. 

A fee for soft serve ice cream on a ship which is supposed to be more family friendly than previous designs with the new Park19 (whenever it's finished) would set Princess apart from its competitors in a negative fashion, even before they book if they research the ship first.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CDNCruiser55 said:

Is it just me or do others have concerns that Princess ruined the Piazza, something that helped define them as classic and yet casual cruise line. From the videos and pictures I have seen the traditional circular Princess stairs are gone. The whole Piazza is a circular and uniform lacking any classic style and they have added massive flat panel screens. The new tiered seating on the upper levels does provide more seating area to view the Piazza shows but it is pretty bland bench seating lacking any sort of elegance of a traditional Princess Piazza. It doesn't look welcoming or relaxing at all. Hope it is different in person.

Pictures from and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8mJVJRy-gI&t=28s and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bp_4zTeOpc

image.thumb.png.f539ab38fac375b5e8060744d2a0853e.png

image.thumb.png.1ffd46aa97e73a189c6e0bca2eb616cf.png

Yes I agree, the other areas of the ship look beautiful but what have they done to the wonderful piazza? I'm hoping the first is just a bad picture. But those hideous screens need to go!

1 hour ago, lstone19 said:

So with Premier, $5 for the soft ice cream but unlimited premium desserts. I guess I’ll order a premium dessert, eat one cone’s worth of the soft ice cream, and throw the rest away.

No different than the gelato on the other ships. We sail with Plus, and it's a toss up on whether you can get a lone scoop or have to go with the entire sundae.

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Okay...  WOW.     a cruise line that is marketing to 'families' with NO soft serve ice cream???

Princess is really not even living in reality with some of this stuff.

Maybe when they get enough feedback, and a few shirts come out of their cubicles and see what the response is on the ship...

NOPE...  just wishful thinking. 

Who needs free when they can charge the medallion, which the kids all have.

Also, soft serve ice cream machines require a ton of maintenance. Just look at all the Mickey D's down time with theirs. 

Edited by startedwithamouse

1 hour ago, nasa1974 said:

Dang it. I have a D1 on deck 14 for the Star Princess next year. Maybe I can change it for something else. I thought it would be nice to have that long balcony not a long dark tunnel.

....and perhaps little natural light making its way into the cabin itself.

• Like 1