Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

22 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

It's disappointing that the Wake View Terrace appears to be off limits to the non-suite folks.  That and why is Horizons on deck 8?

Theat is just what they have labeled the MDR, the buffett unlabeled appears to be on deck 9

There is a wakeview terrace on Deck 8 unclear if that will be public or restricted space.

lots to be filled in. but enough there to show that it will be very different from the p&o ships.

Edited by ldtr

11 hours ago, ldtr said:

lots to be filled in. but enough there to show that it will be very different from the p&o ships.

I think it is actually the reverse.  Once they get around to filling in the blanks, we will see that it is more and more like the P&O ships.  Those are getting very good reviews and press.  Why change?

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

I think it is actually the reverse.  Once they get around to filling in the blanks, we will see that it is more and more like the P&O ships.  Those are getting very good reviews and press.  Why change?

Iona is traditional layout from the location of the buffet, the design of the theater, the lack of ship within a ship features (2 class restricted dining rooms and lounges), public access to the stern areas, the presence of a third large entertainment venue.  All different than the Sun.

Looking at the CC reviews the iona seems to get lower average scores than any of the Princess Royal class from passenger reviews. Thst is without all of the non traditional changes with the Sun.

Edited by ldtr

A lot to be seen, for sure!

It does look like there will be forward (the Dome) and aft (Wakeview Terrace) available to all, with other areas reserved.

I can tell you all why they moved the Buffet down off of Lido.  

It is easy to see that that area of prime real estate is now exclusive suites!

Yes, that is different.   But I don't know if I would find any issues or problems with that.

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

Iona is traditional layout from the location of the buffet, the design of the theater, the lack of ship within a ship features

I think you are focused too much on the location of venues and not enough on the overwhelming change in design.  Sun will retire the Piazza that we have come to know and replace it with an entirely new Atrium...that will be exactly like the one on Arvia.  Sun will retire the placement of three MDRs (one on 5 and two on 6) that we have come to expect and replace it with a two-story MDR open to multi-floor windows looking at the ocean...just like Arvia.  Sun will retire the fully enclosed Specialty Dining Venue and replace it with a Specialty Dining Venue that is more open and airy, and even has tables that overlook the Atrium...just like Arvia.  Sun will "introduce for the first time on a Princess ship" a glass-enclosed forward pool that will double as an evening entertainment venue with performances, shows and acrobats...just like Arvia.  Sun will "introduce for the first time on a Princess ship" a ropes course up top...Just like Arvia.  Sun will introduce infinity pools with swim-up bars and infinity hot tubs...just like Arvia.  These are wholesale, big-picture changes that Sun will feature and that are already in operation on P&O, so watching videos of those ships will in fact give a clear indication of what the big picture changes will look like.  Whether a particular dining venue is on Deck 6 or Deck 7, or whether it is port or starboard is largely irrelevant when compared to the overall design and function of the ship.   

As for reviews, the Editorial Board of this site has given Arvia 5 Stars.  Iona has 4.  At least the trend is in the right direction and hopefully will continue with Sun. 

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

I always enjoy going from the pool area to the buffet and bring back my lunch. I guess I won’t be able to do that on the Sun. :classic_sad:

Traditional layouts help spread people out between the inside lower decks and the upper decks.  The sun design seems to crowd people together more.   Unless you want to layout by the pool not much reason to go to the lido deck.  The IC, instead of being away from other dining venues is right next to the buffet on the Sun.  The lack of a third large entertainment venue.  All seem like it could lead to major crowding issues.  

2 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Traditional layouts help spread people out between the inside lower decks and the upper decks.  The sun design seems to crowd people together more.   Unless you want to layout by the pool not much reason to go to the lido deck.  The IC, instead of being away from other dining venues is right next to the buffet on the Sun.  The lack of a third large entertainment venue.  All seem like it could lead to major crowding issues.  

What is IC?

28 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

I think you are focused too much on the location of venues and not enough on the overwhelming change in design.  Sun will retire the Piazza that we have come to know and replace it with an entirely new Atrium...that will be exactly like the one on Arvia.  Sun will retire he placement of three MDRs (one on 5 and two on 6) that we have come to expect and replace it with a two-story MDR open to multi-floor windows looking at the ocean...just like Arvia.  Sun will retire the fully enclosed Specialty Dining Venue and replace it with a Specialty Dining Venue that is more open and airy, and even has tables that overlook the Atrium...just like Arvia.  Sun will "introduce for the first time on a Princess ship" a glass-enclosed forward pool that will double as an evening entertainment venue with performances, shows and acrobats...just like Arvia.  Sun will "introduce for the first time on a Princess ship" a ropes course up top...Just like Arvia.  These are wholesale, big-picture changes that Sun will feature and that are already in operation on P&O, so watching videos of those ships will in fact give a clear indication of what the big picture changes will look like.  Whether a particular dining venue is on Deck 6 or Deck 7, or whether it is port or starboard is largely irrelevant when compared to the overall design and function of the ship.     

A whole lot of changes that are not present in P&O which you seem to be gleefully ignoring.  

The changes I listed are not the minor changes about location left or right.  It is major differences in things like the number of large entertainment venues, the location of public spaces such as the entire stern area pretty much restricted to the suite class, the movement of the wake bar and pool from the upper lido area down to deck 8, the crowding of the IC and Pizza venue right next to the Buffet down on deck 9.  These are all features that many would consider to be major and are totally different than the Iona or the Arvia.

The only 2 pluses as far as venues go is the Dome and the front viewing  Sea View Terrace on 15.

Again the reviews on the P&O Iona are lower than the Royal class ships, the Arvia is too new to have a selection of reviews.

You seem to be arguing mostly esthetics, I am talking about functionality.

The funny thing is that the Iona and the Arvia have similar layouts that are pretty close to existing Princess ships with the number of things located on the upper decks area and the public access around the ships.

For example the retreat is located similarly to where the sanctuary is on Princess ships, the kids clubs the same area, the infinity pool in the same area as the wake pool on Princess ships, the beachcomber pool in the same place as the retreat pool on existing Princess ships.  In many ways the iona and the Arvia are what the Sun should have been.  The only major change between those ships and the existing Royal class ships is 1. No Princess live equivalent and 2. The size and number of cabins.  Change the cabins be similar to Princess layouts (dropping capacity by about 800) and the Iona and Arvia would be what what the Sun should be but is not.

Edited by ldtr

35 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

I always enjoy going from the pool area to the buffet and bring back my lunch. I guess I won’t be able to do that on the Sun. :classic_sad:

Looks like you will have to order via App

3 minutes ago, ldtr said:

A whole lot of changes that are not present in P&O which you seem to be gleefully ignoring.

You are missing the point of the OP.  "Just having fun" and looking for more details.  My assertion is that if you look at Lucy's video of Arvia and Ben and David's video of Iona, you'll get a pretty good sense of how Sun will be designed.  I never said that Sun would be a "sister ship" or be exactly the same.  But the videos of those other ships will provide an understanding of the changes to come, and as my last word on this, I stand by that statement.

• Like 1

While this might be contrary to what the newer and younger cruisers might think,  I really do not go for the idea of sitting on a low lounger, or on a crowded pool deck, to eat anything more than 'handheld' pool snack foods that are available on the Lido.   Food and pools, for me, just do not necessarily mix.  

Maybe Princess has changed this design with a lot of thought, with logistics and traffic control, in mind?  Maybe they are making a mistake?   (personal preferences aside) Only time will tell!

Yes, the Piazza will be different.  But, there is still a main Piazza. 

So, I def. have no problem with that.  Lovely that the venues are shifted and the Piazza should now have large exterior windows!

15 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

You are missing the point of the OP.  "Just having fun" and looking for more details.  My assertion is that if you look at Lucy's video of Arvia and Ben and David's video of Iona, you'll get a pretty good sense of how Sun will be designed.  I never said that Sun would be a "sister ship" or be exactly the same.  But the videos of those other ships will provide an understanding of the changes to come, and as my last word on this, I stand by that statement.

I have been on the Iona and will be again in October.  I am very familiar with what P&O is doing with that class ship and what Princess is doing with it is not the same as the Arvia and the Iona, some parts may be the same but a lot of things will be considerably different.

Edited by ldtr

That is a good question about the Aft cabins!

The deck plans on the Princess website do not show a lot of detail.  But the only true Aft balconies seem to be Handicap Accessable.   There are two regular (now deluxe) balconies, one on each side of the back of the ship with angled balconies that would have some Aft view.  

It looks like even the Suites, on the upper decks, are only on each side.  Looks like an aft view off the side of the balcony, as the balconies face more to the side.

6 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

That is a good question about the Aft cabins!

The deck plans on the Princess website do not show a lot of detail.  But the only true Aft balconies seem to be Handicap Accessable.   There are two regular (now deluxe) balconies, one on each side of the back of the ship with angled balconies that would have some Aft view.  

It looks like even the Suites, on the upper decks, are only on each side.  Looks like an aft view off the side of the balcony, as the balconies face more to the side.

Yes and this is really a put off for those of us who love aft views

29 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Looks like you will have to order via App

The location of the buffet on the Ruby was great for all of us watching World Cup matches on the MUTS screen. Would not have wanted to rush down to a different deck at halftime. The app did not have enough variety of food for us

I see that the latest deck plans on Princess seem to show what I had guessed about the Sanctuary.  Looks like it will also only have side views.  Unlike other ships with full forward or aft.  The Aft views will be the Signature reserved area.  Too bad!  But I would be happy, because there is still a large sanctuary with a pool and a hot-tub.   We have been lucky to get loungers in the Sanctuary without having to book a Suite, or be Elite.

Just now, Wishing on a star said:

True, if there are popular events on the big MUTS screen!

I think I could still do with the poolside food or Medallion service.

You wouldn't want to lose your seats in the middle of a big event or game.

We just took turns going to the buffet   Had plenty of time to grab something and not have to settle for slices of pizza or a burger not to mention waiting in line

• Like 1

It looks like the Signature restricted area is the prime Aft view property where the Sanctuary is.

The Wakeview Terrace area behind the Buffet would have to be all access.   It is always nice to sit out at the wake view bar area when we cruise!   It is not specific in showing any bar, though.