NCLH laying off 9% of it's shoreside workforce

shepherd really

So true, with a phone number or website you have no idea where you are calling or whom you are working with.  I was booking some flights from SFO to Rome and was talking to a lady I thought was in San Francisco. I had spoken to her in the early morning and she was calling me back with additional information 12 hours later. Wrong, not SF, she was in Cairo Egypt and spoke perfect English. I was blown away. 
My understanding is that virtually all of the ship personnel, minus some key staff, are contract workers and not O or RSSC or NCL. According to the articles in various Industry Trade journals, NCLH staff was only around 3700 in the US.  That is not a huge US footprint and losing hundreds of people is hard on any organization. This is not the Tech industry where thousands of people come and go, ask Elon and Co.  

Let’s hope they return to profitability and continue to expand in the future because we sure love the Oceania product and our total Oceania family. 

Mauibabes

7 hours ago, pete_coach said:

Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings (NCHL) is the parent company of NCL and Oceania and Regent.

All I am saying is that  NCHL has 3500 employees and are getting rid of 10% and that is not a big deal to lose.

As for Terminal B in Miami, the new NCL terminal, we are on Oceania Rivieria on 4 Jan and leaving from that terminal.

Not a big deal.  It is if you are one of the 10%

FDR deserves to get the 2022 Ebeneezer Scrooge Award.

4 hours ago, pete_coach said:

On my boarding pass:

1751 N CRUISE BLVD
MIAMI, FL, UNITED STATES
Terminal Arrival Time: 12:30
Date: JAN 4, 2023
Port:
Terminal: PORT MIAMI - TERMINAL B
MIAMI, FLORIDA

Port schedule shows it docking at Terminal J.  Azamara has also been known to use the terminal.

These financial issues seem serious and are concerning in terms of the quality of product. Seems clear that disappointing decision to not refurbish Marina next year is a financial one. I am booked for a 24 night cruise on her in 2024 and will now likely cancel if they do not have it completed by my cruise. Also, I hope that cuts will not have an effect on air department. They are already so overwhelmed they have had to stop accepting most phone calls, as I understand it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mauibabes said:

My understanding is that virtually all of the ship personnel, minus some key staff, are contract workers and not O or RSSC or NCL. According to the articles in various Industry Trade journals, NCLH staff was only around 3700 in the US. 

I have read on these boards that Apollo Group supplies most of the non-officer, non-american crew on cruise shops across many cruiselines…….

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

I have read on these boards that Apollo Group supplies most of the non-officer, non-american crew on cruise shops across many cruiselines…….

There is a web of companies involved. It starts in the workers home country where local companies recruit, verify skills, and ensure things such as vaccinations are in place. Then the next tiered company pulls from those lists to fill actual personnel needs for the cruise lines. After receiving a personnel order, then the local company arranges transportation and logistical needs to get their people to the port.

Similiar to dealing with any single or multi layer employment agencies here in the States, what Oceania pays per worker is not what the workers take home. Only the top officers are actually oceania employees.Even the entertainment crew works for separate talent agencies.

19 hours ago, edgee said:

Yes and the contracting out of services, especially offshore can result in miserably poor customer service. Last week I spoke with a Celebrity Air agent (call center contracted out to Mexico) who asked me what country Tel Aviv was in. I gave up and hung up the phone

Actually travel customer service should always ask and confirm the country even if one thinks it is obvious. Otherwise you can end up with the case of the fellow that thought he had gotten a great price on a fare from Chicago to Sydney Australia, only to find out after checking in that his ticket was to Sydney, Canada.

On 12/16/2022 at 1:43 PM, susiesan said:

On Marina now, I'll bet 75% of us on the sold out cruise are here solely to use up the credits we all had. It's the only reason I took this cruise. I hope we are all  helping  the Oceania bottom line.

We just disembarked from Marina today.  We were using up fcc.  It was use it by end of 2022 or lose it.  We met lots of people who were doing the same thing.  We had a great time. We booked another cruise onboard. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pete_coach said:

Just showing what is on my boarding pass I just got.

If you are wiser and know more, thanks.

Understand just trying to

be helpful.  I just checked the official Miami port schedule.  

What I do is the day of cruise go to the Port of Miami web cam in the early morning.  You can check at which dock the ship is actually at.  

Today being Sunday the port was a zoo.  Took 15 minutes from airport to port.  Then another 15 to get to the terminal.  

Terminal J is not the easiest to find if you

use the tunnel and you have to pass by D through G before arriving.  

16 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Understand just trying to

be helpful.  I just checked the official Miami port schedule.  

What I do is the day of cruise go to the Port of Miami web cam in the early morning.  You can check at which dock the ship is actually at.  

Today being Sunday the port was a zoo.  Took 15 minutes from airport to port.  Then another 15 to get to the terminal.  

Terminal J is not the easiest to find if you

use the tunnel and you have to pass by D through G before arriving.  

I get it.

I was asked and just showed my boarding pass information.

Of course, I will check on the day of boarding. The taxi or Uber will know (as they have in the past).

Things change all the time.

2 hours ago, pete_coach said:

The taxi or Uber will know (as they have in the past).

You would think so, but I've had differing experiences. Recently at San Pedro our Uber driver almost had a meltdown when I insisted he needed to turnaround and take us back to the ship. By insisted I mean multiple times. For some reason he thought we were going somewhere else. It didn't help that he didn't speak English, and I didn't speak his language. I repeatedly pointed at the ship, he kept pointing at the app. 

Another time in Miami we had a Spanish speaking Uber driver that was going the wrong way on a one-way street at the port. (The whole trip was a nightmare) I finally was able to get him to talk to a policeman that fortunately spoke Spanish and could get him directed to our ship. 

Having said that I've had many, many positive Uber experiences. Much preferable over taxi rides. Since we started using Uber we pretty much use nothing else, unless there's no other choice.