tipping question- speciality restaurant

lightsleeper

17 minutes ago, Robjame said:

I will never get my head around the tipping practices of my American friends. I always feel that I am always too little or too much - never just right.

15% was always my go-to in restaurants but lately some of the Visa machines in Toronto have the suggested tip as 20, 23, or 25%

We try to tip in cash   as some restaurant owners  seem to take their merchant  fee off the tip  for the employee

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Is the tipping  rate  more in Boston ?

I know in some States the  minimum wage is much higher than it used to be  but  15-20%   seems fair to  me

More  seems  OTT

I am with RobJame  we are around 15%   I do not tip at Timmies or McD's  even if they have the cup at the counter

Tipping is like food  Subjective

JMO

It is probably like most other big expensive cities.  MANY restaurants here now have rather than increasing the indiviual price of menu items just add to the bill an "inflation surcharge" which is usually $7 additional line item on the total bill.  I do not tip on the surcharge or the meal tax, my tip is strictly on the food and beverage total.  Also a lot of small shops, especially coffee and fast food, after we insert the card to pay they flip the screen over to us and to get to the final total we have to either select "no tip" or the option of 15%, 18%, 20%, 23%...I HATE this method.  If I go to a coffee shop and all they do is fill the cup and I go to a stand and add the cream/sugar etc, I'm doing most of the work.  That said when we go out and sit in a nice restaurant for dinner I am a good tipper provided I also get good service, but I am not an always automatic x% tipper, it depends on the level of service recieved, better service, better tip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

At many fine restaurants , a 20% gratuity surcharge is now automatically added to groups of eight (8) or more. Some tip in addition to that, but the 20% cannot be lowered by the patrons.

I have seen restaurant owners or managers follow patrons that don’t tip onto the street to ask why they gave no tip. If a problem occurred they apologize and vow to resolve it. If the patron says “they don’t believe in tipping and to pay your own staff”; the patron is often told to never return. Find a new restaurant to be cheap at. Then that patron goes on a banned list. Known of some quite wealthy families banned from most of the better restaurants in town. Not as uncommon as you might expect 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

At many fine restaurants , a 20% gratuity surcharge is now automatically added to groups of eight (8) or more.

I have been caught on this more than once where I tipped 20% not seeing the auto tip - total 40%. 😀

What about wine? Same % gratuity whether I order a $30 bottle or a $300 bottle? Jeez I miss France!

19 minutes ago, Robjame said:

I have been caught on this more than once where I tipped 20% not seeing the auto tip - total 40%. 😀

What about wine? Same % gratuity whether I order a $30 bottle or a $300 bottle? Jeez I miss France!

I do have to say that cost/bottle tipping % does drive me crazy, though neither of us any longer drink alcohol.  The same amount of effort goes into retrieving the bottle, opening the bottle and pouring each glass.  Even when we drank, never ordered a $300 bottle was more in the $75 range but still...I wonder if there is a real school of thought on this in the industry, I'm going to do some research.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

I do have to say that cost/bottle tipping % does drive me crazy, though neither of us any longer drink alcohol.  The same amount of effort goes into retrieving the bottle, opening the bottle and pouring each glass.  Even when we drank, never ordered a $300 bottle was more in the $75 range but still...I wonder if there is a real school of thought on this in the industry, I'm going to do some research.

If you can afford the $300 bottle, the 20% tip should not be an issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

At many fine restaurants , a 20% gratuity surcharge is now automatically added to groups of eight (8) or more. Some tip in addition to that, but the 20% cannot be lowered by the patrons.

We have had that  method for many years  in Toronto   where  they automatically added  a % for the tip

I have not lived in Toronto for over 40 years  so I am guessing  it still happens there  😉

• Like 1

Our first cruise on O 2004 the policy was stated to us no tipping please.

A gratuity will be added to your bill end of cruise.

I've been in the restaurant industry in NY for a long time and when I offered a gratuity to the Madre d they refused to accept them.

NPR's Throughline did a great story on tipping last year. Fascinating. The US used to be a non-tipping culture. It's a classist thing and the early US believed it was a bastion of egalitarianism. Ultra low wages of black porters on railways led in part to tipping as we know it now. So basically, blame greedy capitalists.

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/29/1089587173/the-land-of-the-fee-2021

Personally, I'm in favour of paying people a living wage, and no tipping. Also, include the tax in the price! If you live in Canada or the US and go to Australia where tipping is uncommon and tax is included, it's a total shock. The price is the price is the price. What a concept!

Edited by NeedToChill
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

The wait staff always enjoys the larger bill price 😂, but many locales use a rule of thumb of 20% of bottle price up to $100, then $20 per bottle thereafter. Fair all around.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

The wait staff always enjoys the larger bill price 😂, but many locales use a rule of thumb of 20% of bottle price up to $100, then $20 per bottle thereafter. Fair all around.

But it becomes more complicated if you bring your own wine.  I assume the corkage fee goes to Oceania (correct me if I'm wrong) so do you tip according to the retail price or the restaurant price?  Let's say a bottle that retails at $20 but costs $100 from the wine list,

Today, I believe it is slightly different. We, in the US, are more capitalistic that our European and Aussie friends and mostly not as Socalistic. How do we reward excellence while living within our myriad of laws. Americans love to sue.

I can point to quite a few very talented waiters and bartenders that earn six figures. Others may barely make a third of that. In the U.S., it’s practically impossible for any company to pay that differential, especially if by chance that higher earner was a male ( double down, a white male) and you had minority females being paid far less. So for the “ Equity “ all servers are paid the same base amounts. By law, tips are deemed to be not from the restaurant but from the customers direct to the server. Therefore, any difference in pay is not the fault of the restaurant or bar, but from the free will of the patrons. Additionally, in many venues here, it is highly typical for a couple or even a large group to ask to be seated at a particular waitstaff’s table. Management may not even have the ability to “ even “ out the better tippers amongst waitstaff. They come is only wanting their rockstar waiters.

Some venues, as earlier posted, pool tips , but others don’t.

15 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

But it becomes more complicated if you bring your own wine.  I assume the corkage fee goes to Oceania (correct me if I'm wrong) so do you tip according to the retail price or the restaurant price?  Let's say a bottle that retails at $20 but costs $100 from the wine list,

If steak cost $10/lb in the grocery, but $30 in the restaurant, do you currently tip on the retail or restaurant price? 

Be careful making assumptions on beverage prices. Some States have “ on-premise prices and off premise prices from the distributor. A liquor store or chain that buys 20 cases of wine may be able to buy it lower and resell it than a restaurant can sell it for. Lots goes into pricing.

13 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

If steak cost $10/lb in the grocery, but $30 in the restaurant, do you currently tip on the retail or restaurant price? 

Good question, I've never brought meat to a restaurant, however I have brought my "catch of the day" to restaurants where they charge a plate charge per person, sort of like a corkage fee for wine.  In that case I tip based on the total bill presented to me as I normally do.

And just an FYI, I was in the wine business for a decade, so no need for anyone to school me in that branch of retail or wholesale.  I was asking about tipping, not wine price structure.  Thanks.

22 hours ago, shepherd really said:

If you can afford the $300 bottle, the 20% tip should not be an issue.

Of course the obvious answer is that it is by paying attention to the extra charges and fees, that we can afford that $300 bottle of wine, which is our guilty pleasure.

Example - we can afford Oceania by “making do” with a steerage stateroom.

‘Everyone has items which are justIfiable in their personal budgets - cruise lines, clothes or shoes, luxury cars, food experiences,  fine wines and they make adjustments accordingly.

However, my friend, I suspect you know that and your comment was tongue-in-cheek.   😄

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Robjame said:

Of course the obvious answer is that it is by paying attention to the extra charges and fees, that we can afford that $300 bottle of wine, which is our guilty pleasure.

Example - we can afford Oceania by “making do” with a steerage stateroom.

‘Everyone has items which are justIfiable in their personal budgets - cruise lines, clothes or shoes, luxury cars, food experiences,  fine wines and they make adjustments accordingly.

However, my friend, I suspect you know that and your comment was tongue-in-cheek.   😄

It was, and thank you for taking it in the vein it was intended. 

• Like 1

Specialty restaurants don’t have price cost listed.  Nor are you presented a check for food. If you buy drinks or wine, you automatically have 20% added to the cost of the drinks.  Ate on Red Ginger last night.  At the end of the meal, we said thank you. We have never seen anyone offer a cash tip.  

• Like 1

Be careful when booking online. There is no way to get a real “cruise only” fare . The online booking includes the Olife with or without Air.  You must talk to an agent if you want a cruise only fare.  We booked a future cruise onboard.  We declined air and asked for cruise only fare. Agent then asked us our choice for the free amenity.  Did we want the beverage package, onboard credit, or free excursions?  We said that we didn’t want any of them. Price dropped.  Funny thing is those free amenity and free air really isn’t free. When we finally finished, agent told us how much we saved…$300 amenity, $600 air, etc.  She couldn’t quite understand that it isn’t a savings. It’s what we chose to not buy from O Raina. The real onboard booking this week was good.  We saved $200 each plus we got $300 future OBC.  Also, deposits were $250 per person.

Getting back to tipping (or not) in the specialties - I have had the Maitre d' refuse a tip in one of the specialties a long time ago. She had twice worked us in without a reservation. She said she was not permitted to accept tips although some did it under the table she did not.  She suggested I recognize her by name on my mid cruise or final review. She said that promotions and bonuses on Oceania are heavily influenced by passenger reviews.  We have subsequently seen her several more times, each time in a higher position.  Last time we saw her she was food and beverage manager. 

A by name recognition that leads to a promotion is worth way more than any tip you could give. Keep it in mind.

Edited by robbie21
added comment
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, robbie21 said:

...  She suggested I recognize her by name on my mid cruise or final review. She said that promotions and bonuses on Oceania are heavily influenced by passenger reviews. ...

Now if only O wouldn't make it such a pain to so the review/survey during the cruise. I'm on vacation, I don't take my cellphone and I'm not wasting time on their PC. Is there any way to do it shortly after the cruise in my own home on my own time? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robbie21 said:

Getting back to tipping (or not) in the specialties - I have had the Maitre d' refuse a tip in one of the specialties a long time ago. She had twice worked us in without a reservation. She said she was not permitted to accept tips although some did it under the table she did not.  She suggested I recognize her by name on my mid cruise or final review. She said that promotions and bonuses on Oceania are heavily influenced by passenger reviews.  We have subsequently seen her several more times, each time in a higher position.  Last time we saw her she was food and beverage manager. 

A by name recognition that leads to a promotion is worth way more than any tip you could give. Keep it in mind.

There is an old story to this. Back 7-8 years ago, there was poster here on CC that bragged about eating in a Specialty every night. Said all it took was to palm a Maitre De at the door and you got in.

At that time, all posters contact information was listed here on CC. Oceania knew by his email address exactly who he was . Everything is in the computer, and when Oceania checked, sure enough he had eaten in a Specialty every night and never through the Reservations system. 

We boarded the Marina a couple cruises later and two Maitre De had been fired and the others were read the Riot Act. A restaurant Maitre de would then let no one in on their own, and everyone was directed to the Reservations Desk. Caught accepting a tip and seating someone was instant termination.

Several of the changes they made then was actually for the better. I think some have slipped with the Covid recovery.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

A restaurant Maitre de would then let no one in on their own, and everyone was directed to the Reservations Desk. Caught accepting a tip and seating someone was instant termination.

Several of the changes they made then was actually for the better. I think some have slipped with the Covid recovery.

Would that not be  a bribe  if they were give cash  before  being seated ??

I remember that  & was surprised as I knew who was fired & never thought they would  do that

too bad