Travel Medical Insurance

theavonb

Would like to know what people are using for emergency medical insurance. We have always used Medipac but now they won’t insure my hubby because he is on insulin and takes a heart pill for his pacemaker. He has been stable for two years now so it’s a bit ridiculous. 
Thank you

9 hours ago, theavonb said:

Would like to know what people are using for emergency medical insurance. We have always used Medipac but now they won’t insure my hubby because he is on insulin and takes a heart pill for his pacemaker. He has been stable for two years now so it’s a bit ridiculous. 
Thank you

I fortunately am a few years from retirement and still have corporate/company travel insurance that covers me regardless of pre-existing conditions. 

HOWEVER, a year ago, I was faced with potentially leaving my company and started to shop around for medical insurance as we are regular travellers.

At the time I started to shop around I was four months from a "heart scare" and on medications.  Today thankfully, I am 99%.

Because I was under 6 months "stable" and over 60, every online insurance quote that I approached first presented me with a medical questionnaire and then when I did that I would receive an on screen message saying that I need to contact the underwriters directly.  I started to get discouraged if I would find medical insurance, and if I could if I could afford it.

I get that you feel your husband is stable over two years, but the underwriters job is to look at the potential risk factors based on the sum total of medical conditions you have - diabetes, pace maker, medications, etc. - and what is the risk to the insurance company when you travel.  

Long story short.

I had a lot of experience with Medipac as my Mother was a snowbird and used Medipac for over 17 years.  I thought that this would be the company that would insure me.  NO - they refused me insurance.  I thought that this company insures so many Canadians going to Florida and Arizona, that they would be the one.  NO.  I had to fill out a massively long questionnaire and mail it in.  The day came when the reply was in the mailbox and I felt like it was my admission letter to my preferred university!  Oh, how I was disappointed and discouraged with their decline.

The two companies that I landed on that WOULD insure me were:

1. Manulife
  2. CAA

You will have to go through a lengthy telephone question session with an underwriter, but they will eventually get to the premium and hopefully agree to insure you.

My personal choice at this stage would be CAA, but I have not purchased insurance through them as yet.

Be very careful about the "stable period" as this includes new medication start, dosage adjustment up or down of existing medication, stopping a medication, etc.  You also have to be aware of a medical test that has been ordered or suggested on your medical file that has not taken place before you travel.  This one is key too.  This can be used to deny coverage.

Basically, if you are not stable under all categories then you can still get insurance, but it will not cover you if there is an incident that relates to that condition.  You are covered if you break your leg, or something else happens, but if it has to do with the stable period of the heart or diabetes, you may be out of luck.

All this language in the policy is very confusing and can be different with each insurance company.  You must be very careful answering their questions.  You may not think it important to say that in the last 3 months the dosage or type of insulin has changed but it can be key.

When it comes to health, policies are written to mislead you to think that you have coverage, but you may not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We will soon be in the same boat looking for insurance.  We are both retired and currently have out of country medical and cancellation insurance through our credit card.  However once you turn 65 they greatly reduce the coverage...something like coverage for a maximum of 4 day trip vs the current 21 days.

Curious @CDNPolar did you research insuring individual trips vs annual coverage?  I have just started to research and I find it difficult to get a lot of info online. Not looking forward to spending hours on the phone with insurance companies lol.  

This thread may be useful.  I sat with my parents as they went through the questions and responses with Blue Cross (on the phone).  I was able to ask my own questions as this was during the time of uncertainty on whether insurers would cover covid-related illness.  An annual plan wasn’t possible for them due to their health and age but they were happy with the coverage and the cost.

28 minutes ago, bebe08 said:

We will soon be in the same boat looking for insurance.  We are both retired and currently have out of country medical and cancellation insurance through our credit card.  However once you turn 65 they greatly reduce the coverage...something like coverage for a maximum of 4 day trip vs the current 21 days.

Curious @CDNPolar did you research insuring individual trips vs annual coverage?  I have just started to research and I find it difficult to get a lot of info online. Not looking forward to spending hours on the phone with insurance companies lol.  

I would have gone for annual coverage, but if you have pre-existing conditions, then it may or may not be available.

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

I would have gone for annual coverage, but if you have pre-existing conditions, then it may or may not be available.

I have pre-existing conditions and am 65+. I got an annual policy with a 7-day stability rider from TuGo. It was barely more expensive than covering my first trip of the year, and I already had another trip planned in the same year, and have subsequently booked another trip within the same 12 months.

1 hour ago, theavonb said:

Wow a few choices, thanks. Manulife wouldn’t insure hubby. So I’ll check CAA and  Blue Cross. We are in Ontario and not cruising until next November.

When you say Manulife wouldn't insure was it just online, or was it an actual underwriting decision? I have found that with pre-existing conditions, you cannot quote on-line.

If cruising with Princess, check out their Princess Vacation Protection plan.  Cost is based % of the cruise, no age or questionnaire. Coverage is purchases through Princess - cruise, excursions, air and hotel if booked through them.

Edited by phabric

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

When you say Manulife wouldn't insure was it just online, or was it an actual underwriting decision? I have found that with pre-existing conditions, you cannot quote on-line.

We went through our bank for travel insurance and he was refused because he is a diabetic.

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Be very careful about the "stable period" as this includes new medication start, dosage adjustment up or down of existing medication, stopping a medication, etc.  You also have to be aware of a medical test that has been ordered or suggested on your medical file that has not taken place before you travel.  This one is key too.  This can be used to deny coverage.

Basically, if you are not stable under all categories then you can still get insurance, but it will not cover you if there is an incident that relates to that condition.  You are covered if you break your leg, or something else happens, but if it has to do with the stable period of the heart or diabetes, you may be out of luck.

+1

I'm a senior and frequent traveller. Insurance is what I worry about on long cruises. Tried to cruise on MSC. But, their recommended Canadian insurance company now refuses to insure seniors in Europe and USA!

Be very careful of your answers on the medical questionnaire. Do you really have a full medical checkup in the last 18 months. Are there any tests pending? Has there been any change in medical advise or medication?

Currently, I have been with TD Insurance's annual plan for many years. Fingers crossed.

39 minutes ago, phabric said:

If cruising with Princess, check out their Princess Vacation Protection plan.  Cost is based % of the cruise, no age or questionnaire. Coverage is purchases through Princess - cruise, excursions, air and hotel if booked through them.

+1 on the Princess insurance, we used to buy it for every trip largely for the industry-leading 100% Cancel For Any Reason coverage. Up to the day of travel, if something happened and you couldn't (or didn't want to) travel, they gave you everything back as an FCC, no questions asked. Sadly, a few years ago they stopped offering to us here in the Democratic People's Republic of Quebec, so we've had to make due with credit card and Blue Cross coverage. When we move to Canada next year, we'll be buying the Princess coverage for every one of their trips

It's expensive but we take the Manulife total coverage through our TA and there is no questionnaire.  My husband is diabetic and is on lots of medications (all preventative but no one cares about that).  

1 hour ago, Senga said:

It's expensive but we take the Manulife total coverage through our TA and there is no questionnaire.  My husband is diabetic and is on lots of medications (all preventative but no one cares about that).  

I would like to know what the actual name of this package is through Manulife.  To my knowledge there is NO package available to those over 60 without a questionnaire.  Would you provide a link to the online package?

We currently have coverage thru CAA, but my recent experience with them has not been very positive.  We will be looking for another option going forward.

We are Elite with Princess so when we are cruising on them we also take their coverage mostly for the cancellation coverage.

23 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I would like to know what the actual name of this package is through Manulife.  To my knowledge there is NO package available to those over 60 without a questionnaire.  Would you provide a link to the online package?

Sorry, tried to attach a scan of the documentation received from our TA but the scanner isn't working.  I am 72, my husband is 76.

All it says is

PLAN:  All inclusive

Benefit Summary

Trip Cancellation - Sum Insured

Trip Interruption - Unlimited

Emergency Medical - Up to $5,000,000 CAD

Baggage Loss or Damage - Up to $1,500

Baggage Delay - Up to $500

Flight Accident - Up to $100,000

Travel Accident - Up to $50,000

Total was $2,274.48

17 minutes ago, Senga said:

Sorry, tried to attach a scan of the documentation received from our TA but the scanner isn't working.  I am 72, my husband is 76.

All it says is

PLAN:  All inclusive

Benefit Summary

Trip Cancellation - Sum Insured

Trip Interruption - Unlimited

Emergency Medical - Up to $5,000,000 CAD

Baggage Loss or Damage - Up to $1,500

Baggage Delay - Up to $500

Flight Accident - Up to $100,000

Travel Accident - Up to $50,000

Total was $2,274.48

Any time I have tried purchasing Manulife or CAA or any other travel insurance company for travel medical, trip cancellation, trip interruption insurance, I have had to fill out a medical questionnaire as I am over 65 yrs old.

I now purchase Princess Vacation Protection insurance with no age or medical questionnaire per cruise as it covers cancel for no reason and get future cruise credit and if cancel for a medical reason get $ back.

Edited by phabric

If you are reasonably healthy and take no medications then consider travel with no insurance at all. From most of the USA or Caribbean you can call up a NetJet or FlexJet or AirSprint and they'll come and get you within about 2 hours. For 10 grand or less you can be back in Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal before the end of the day. 

Here is another Pro-Tip:  Go to Emergency at the best hospital, take no ID whatsoever and just play dumb.  Medicare pays the whole bill if you are an undocumented alien. A hockey buddy told me it worked for him in Texas and another friend walked away from a US $20,000 bill or an overnight stay in a Florida hospital. The debt collectors can't touch you in Canada for medical bills.

16 minutes ago, Fred&Lily said:

If you are reasonably healthy and take no medications then consider travel with no insurance at all. From most of the USA or Caribbean you can call up a NetJet or FlexJet or AirSprint and they'll come and get you within about 2 hours. For 10 grand or less you can be back in Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal before the end of the day. 

Here is another Pro-Tip:  Go to Emergency at the best hospital, take no ID whatsoever and just play dumb.  Medicare pays the whole bill if you are an undocumented alien. A hockey buddy told me it worked for him in Texas and another friend walked away from a US $20,000 bill or an overnight stay in a Florida hospital. The debt collectors can't touch you in Canada for medical bills.

I guess you have never had to do a medical evacuation. Two decades ago cost was over US$10,000 from FL.

Playing dumb with doctors is just stupid.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We are both (Just) over 65. Neither of us has any medical conditions. I researched heavily and finally settled on Manulife as they were the only company that included Covid, in writing, as a covered reason for cancelling. All prices were within about 10%, and we opted for multi trip package - it was only about $30 more per person. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, phabric said:

I now purchase Princess Vacation Protection insurance with no age or medical questionnaire per cruise as it covers cancel for no reason and get future cruise credit and if cancel for a medical reason get $ back.

What is the emergency medical coverage like?