A fitting tribute and goodbye to Miss Dolly

WriterOnDeck

Gayle Hughes sent me the attached video and asked me to share it with all of "Miss Dolly's" friends. I sailed with Dolly three times on the Amsterdam, the latest her last cruise as our World Cruise 2020 was abruptly ended in Australia by the pandemic shutdown. I know many her knew her better than I did. She was a fixture on the Amsterdam, and as we are about to take off on the 2023 World Cruise, we will miss her.

Hello Dolly Goodbye

• Like 10
  • Thanks 18

I had the pleasure of meeting her on several occasions in San Diego.

The first time, she asked me if she could ride the Amsterdam disembarkation coach to the airport and back... so that she could welcome some of her friends to the World Cruise sailing that day.  Of course, I suggested that she hold a clip board for us.  She laughed, and off she went.

Another time it was pouring rain, and she arrived wet as could be.  I offered to get her some towels, and she told me "Don't worry, it's just water".  I asked why she didn't have an umbrella and she replied "Why?".

My other memory is when she told me that she had taken the city bus all around town on a Day Bus Pass.  The Hop on and Off was "too expensive" even with her status it would have been complimentary.  She said to me that she just wanted to see the city, but on her own.

David

She loved her "home" on the Holland America Amsterdam and her crew.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1