Really need help deciding which cruise…

momof4girls

I’m trying to surprise my husband with a cruise this Oct 2023. This cruise is not about the destinations as it more about just being able to relax. I initially chose cruise #1 because I know Nassau and HMC are relaxing beach stops for us, and because I’ve heard the Serenity area on Sunshine is very nice. 

I started looking at cruise #2 because I wondered if we would prefer the Havana area on a Vista class ship more (less people, more relaxing, etc). 

I think because I haven’t been on either ship, I am having a hard time choosing. We’ve never stayed in an inside room, but I’ve always been curious about them. He has stayed in ocean view and cove balcony rooms only.  I’ve stayed in both cove and reg balcony and also ocean view. 

Cruise #1

Carnival Sunshine

Balcony room

5 day to Nassau & HMC

Depart out of Charleston

$1145

Cruise #2

Carnival Horizon

Inside Havana Room

6 day to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

Depart out of Miami

$1369 (comes with $200 OBC)

• Like 1

Does transportation cost factor into this (do you have to fly to either)? I've been on both ships and while I love the Serenity on Sunshine as a unique Carnival offering, I might lean toward the Horizon. Having that private Havana area makes up significantly for that Inside room.  You'll never know if you can truly enjoy an Inside unless you try it.  We're doing our first actual Inside in probably 15 years on a 5 nighter in late February.  We cruise enough that if we say 'Not Again' it won't be a big deal.

I would do Charleston since I could drive in and save a lot of money and stress that way vs. flying/ubering/etc. But if you're flying either way, I'd probably do Horizon. Newer nicer ship and more exciting and longer itinerary, plus the Havana area is nice and it's actually cheaper (as Miami cruises typically are).

15 minutes ago, momof4girls said:

We are having to fly to either port. I’ve never been to either port so I’m clueless on hotels, transportation etc. 

And I’ve always been curious about inside staterooms since they are so much cheaper. 

I love inside rooms! Balconies are great but I have no problems cruising inside. A 5-6 day cruise is a great time to try an inside room honestly. If you don't like it, you've got Serenity on Sunshine or Havana or Serenity on Horizon to fall back on.

Since you're flying either way that just makes the Horizon cruise an easier decision to me. It's a longer cruise for less money (on a per-day basis, even better when you consider the OBC), to more exciting ports of call, Havana area, on a newer nicer ship.

• Like 1

My October Sunshine trip was shortened by a day because of Hurricane Ian.  We missed HMC.  We drove from Savannah but heard good things about staying overnight in Charleston.  I loved the ship and I know there are several reviews.  Too me a balcony is a waste on such a short cruise.  I had and inside and my friend had a balcony and we were always on Serenity.  
Having said all that I would do Horizon.  Love the Havana area and do inside cabin because there are plenty of seats all day.  Havana Bar has a few breakfast items and overall great atmosphere.

I would always choose the longer cruise with more stops every time. Plus the Horizon is newer and has few more bells and whistles. My husband loves the micro brewery and it’s very reasonably priced beer sampler on the Horizon. I love Guys Pig & Anchor Brewhouse with its great tasting bbq and live music on the Horizon. I just love grabbing a drink and relaxing in a booth to people watch. But we both agree that Bonsai Teppanyaki was the best tasting food we’ve had on a Carnival ship in a long time so it will always be a deciding factor between two cruises for us. The chefs cook the food to order in front of you and it’s an amazing meal and experience. Plus the Horizon has the imax theater and the skyride. Both are big hits with our family. 

we would select cruise 2.  

newer ship, longer cruise, better ports of call.  plus headed to warmer weather latitudes.  might not be too big a deal in Oct but ya never know.  

nothing wrong with the sunshine, either.  we looooove the Spirit class ships.   each one feels unique and original, not cookie cutter.  

4 minutes ago, havanadaydreaming said:

we would select cruise 2.  

newer ship, longer cruise, better ports of call.  plus headed to warmer weather latitudes.  might not be too big a deal in Oct but ya never know.  

nothing wrong with the sunshine, either.  we looooove the Spirit class ships.   each one feels unique and original, not cookie cutter. 

Sunshine is about as far from the Spirit class as you can get.

Remember that October is still prime hurricane season for those of us in Charleston and Miami each year. (usually mid September to mid October is weekly threats  of hurricanes)

Glad you aren't married to the ports of call, because they are just lucky if you get to go to them in September or October, either from departure port getting hit by a hurricane or any of your ports of call getting hit either before or during your cruise. (twice we've had our ports of call changed as 1 or 2 got hit a week before our cruise., but we go into booking cheap cruises in those two months, knowing that is the chance you take for cheaper rates)

As for the two itineraries, I love HMC and have always had a good time in Nassau, unlike alot of others.

But Grand Cayman is my favorite port and Cozumel is a close second. (and is by far the best port for diversity in beach days and beach clubs)

Ocho Rios is DW's and my least favorite port ever, and the only one we ever felt unsafe in.

(Ocho Rios made Roatan, Honduras feel like a day at a nursery school by comparison.)

I would definitely take the longer, cheaper cruise if I had to fly. 

The port in Miami will definitely be better than your port experience here in Charleston. (we don't have modern facilities at all)

Not sure about hotel costs but I'm sure you should be able to find something decent at either. (definitely more choice in southern Florida, but we have a ton here in Charleston too)

Hope you have good luck weatherwise and enjoy whichever cruise you choose.

12 hours ago, bguppies said:

Remember that October is still prime hurricane season for those of us in Charleston and Miami each year. (usually mid September to mid October is weekly threats  of hurricanes)

Glad you aren't married to the ports of call, because they are just lucky if you get to go to them in September or October, either from departure port getting hit by a hurricane or any of your ports of call getting hit either before or during your cruise. (twice we've had our ports of call changed as 1 or 2 got hit a week before our cruise., but we go into booking cheap cruises in those two months, knowing that is the chance you take for cheaper rates)

As for the two itineraries, I love HMC and have always had a good time in Nassau, unlike alot of others.

But Grand Cayman is my favorite port and Cozumel is a close second. (and is by far the best port for diversity in beach days and beach clubs)

Ocho Rios is DW's and my least favorite port ever, and the only one we ever felt unsafe in.

(Ocho Rios made Roatan, Honduras feel like a day at a nursery school by comparison.)

I would definitely take the longer, cheaper cruise if I had to fly. 

The port in Miami will definitely be better than your port experience here in Charleston. (we don't have modern facilities at all)

Not sure about hotel costs but I'm sure you should be able to find something decent at either. (definitely more choice in southern Florida, but we have a ton here in Charleston too)

Hope you have good luck weatherwise and enjoy whichever cruise you choose.

6 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

I would do the Havana inside hands down for a couple's cruise. Love the Havana area on the Vista class ships!  

Definitely not caring at all if we make any of the ports. We’ve been to all of them at least once, and I’d be just as happy on a cruise to “nowhere” for this trip. 

I have decided to go with the inside Havana on Horizon. It will probably have me wishing we had booked Havana rooms for our Vista cruise in 2024! You guys were such a big help in my decision making, so I appreciate that! 

After watching lots of different YouTube videos on the Havana area, I’m super excited to surprise dh with this trip. 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 5:52 PM, momof4girls said:

I’m trying to surprise my husband with a cruise this Oct 2023. This cruise is not about the destinations as it more about just being able to relax. I initially chose cruise #1 because I know Nassau and HMC are relaxing beach stops for us, and because I’ve heard the Serenity area on Sunshine is very nice. 

I started looking at cruise #2 because I wondered if we would prefer the Havana area on a Vista class ship more (less people, more relaxing, etc). 

I think because I haven’t been on either ship, I am having a hard time choosing. We’ve never stayed in an inside room, but I’ve always been curious about them. He has stayed in ocean view and cove balcony rooms only.  I’ve stayed in both cove and reg balcony and also ocean view. 

Cruise #1

Carnival Sunshine

Balcony room

5 day to Nassau & HMC

Depart out of Charleston

$1145

Cruise #2

Carnival Horizon

Inside Havana Room

6 day to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

Depart out of Miami

$1369 (comes with $200 OBC)

No decision.  After factoring in the 200 in OBC the cost is a wash.  You get 6 days in the Havana area versus 5 on the Sunshine in a balcony.  The Havana area is substantially larger than your balcony.  You get a pool, two hot tubs and the tiki huts as well.  And no annoying children.  The extra day is the cherry on top of the sundae.  I'd choose the Havana area if it was 4 days versus 5, let alone 6.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

No decision.  After factoring in the 200 in OBC the cost is a wash.  You get 6 days in the Havana area versus 5 on the Sunshine in a balcony.  The Havana area is substantially larger than your balcony.  You get a pool, two hot tubs and the tiki huts as well.  And no annoying children.  The extra day is the cherry on top of the sundae.  I'd choose the Havana area if it was 4 days versus 5, let alone 6.

I just booked a Havana Cabana because of this thread!  CruizinSusan, when you say "no annoying children", is the Havana Pool area 21 and up like Serenity?  I saw that our room is for 12 years old and up so I'm thinking 12 and up can access the Havana pool area.  Thanks in advance!!

8 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I just booked a Havana Cabana because of this thread!  CruizinSusan, when you say "no annoying children", is the Havana Pool area 21 and up like Serenity?  I saw that our room is for 12 years old and up so I'm thinking 12 and up can access the Havana pool area.  Thanks in advance!!

Yup...12+ only in the Havana area and only for those people staying in that area.  At one point in the past the area was opened to all after 700 pm, but Carnival rescinded that option a few years ago.  

We stayed in the Havana area for two different 8 day cruises on the Horizon out of NYC in 2018 and Miami in 2019.  Stayed in an inside, which was a cost saver versus the Cabana and we used the price difference towards Cheers.  

25 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Yup...12+ only in the Havana area and only for those people staying in that area.  At one point in the past the area was opened to all after 700 pm, but Carnival rescinded that option a few years ago.  

We stayed in the Havana area for two different 8 day cruises on the Horizon out of NYC in 2018 and Miami in 2019.  Stayed in an inside, which was a cost saver versus the Cabana and we used the price difference towards Cheers.  

Good to know!  I suggested an interior Havana but DH saw pics of the "front porch".  Told him he needed to pay the difference since I pay for our cruises🤑.  Did you feel that Carnival staff was good at monitoring the Havana area so it was only Havana members?

50 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Good to know!  I suggested an interior Havana but DH saw pics of the "front porch".  Told him he needed to pay the difference since I pay for our cruises🤑.  Did you feel that Carnival staff was good at monitoring the Havana area so it was only Havana members?

Yes.  No one else gets in.  It is not busy at all.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

He can chill on the front porch while you can either go into the pool, hot tub or relax in the tiki hut soaking your feet while reading a book and enjoying a beverage of your choice.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

it also states that kids 12+ must be accompanied by an adult.

We loved it so much that the day I got home from the cruise I booked the Celebration Havana Cabana even though it's not as good as the Vista class Havana areas.

I was glad I did. I got a very good price and the next day they went up $900.

• Thanks 1