(Multiple) crew asking for "good reviews"

Tom-n-Cheryl

Since the restart after “that pandemic”, I have been surprised at the lack of requests from staff re the survey and his/her ratings. My experience has been that those requests were fewer. (Others mileage may vary.)

When a crew member tells me that I need  to reply to the survey and hope that he/she  will receive a 10, my standard response is “your service deserves a 10 and will, most  likely get a 10, if your service continues as it has been so far. I say this pleasantly with a smile, and have never had that server ask again.

On our cruise, ending tomorrow, only one person mentioned the survey. He said it was important to him.  He didn’t ask for a 10 — and we would easily give him a 10.  

We did an RCCL cruise last month and one of their questions was whether any crew member had requested that we provide a good review.  None had.  If we’d said yes, don’t know if they would have asked for names. 

My view is that giving all 10s when there is room for improvement isn’t helpful.  That said, we would never call out a crew member unless that person’s conduct was egregious — and in that case, we would have already raised it.  For example, years ago on X we had a butler who didn’t show up at all for 5 days.  We reported it at the time and mentioned it in the survey. That’s the only example I can think of.  

IMO, if management expects all 10s and punish employees when that doesn’t happen, they are deluding themselves and not getting a true picture of their line. Sort of like the emperor with no clothes. 

21 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

I remember being asked for years to give good reviews.  I usually give good reviews however on Royal I thought the food went downhill and said so in the review.  If you don't give an honest review service/food quality will continue to decline.

I feel the  same way and thus provide honest answers.  It's a way to get improvement if one feels an improvement is required.  And yes, I generally have found that those who are consistently a "10" do not ask me to make sure I give them a "10".  In fact. "reminding' me that  I need to give them full points tends to irritate me! 

2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I will not give a 10 for someone that asks for a 10.  Someone that deserves a 10 will not ask.

This reminds me of a below average car dealership that I used to take my car to.  It is not a good practice for a luxury line.  This is a shady and dishonest practice.

I also note on the form that crew members were begging for a 10.

I totally 

On 12/21/2022 at 4:35 PM, LMaxwell said:

If the employees are asking for 10's, the survey is useless as a management gauge. 

And any company that actually wants to measure performance should be appalled by 10s across the board as that means there is NO room for improvement. 

In our messed-up world of corporate HR policies where managers are forced to grade employees on a ranked bell curve where some must be low performers and the number of high performers is limited by an arbitrary HR formula, the premise of 10's being mandatory is utter nonsense.

When someone asks for a 10, they aren’t mentioned by name in my survey.  The only person to ask that on our last cruise was our butler, and even though he did a decent job, he wasn’t mentioned by name.  Our steward was mentioned by name, because not only did he never mention the survey, he did a fantastic job! 

I personally find that those who are doing an exceptional job never have to ask for high ratings. They simply earn them.  🙂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ggo85 said:

We did an RCCL cruise last month and one of their questions was whether any crew member had requested that we provide a good review.  None had.  If we’d said yes, don’t know if they would have asked for names. 

Then the question becomes, if you said yes and gave names, would the crew member get marked up or down for it.

We were on a Princess cruise a few years ago that had an afternoon show in the theater which was advertised as a fun show put on by food and wait staff including the head waiter and the head chef.

it turned out to be 45 minutes of fun and entertaining ways for them to ask you to give them 10s on the reviews.

4 hours ago, Mark_K said:

We were on a Princess cruise a few years ago that had an afternoon show in the theater which was advertised as a fun show put on by food and wait staff including the head waiter and the head chef.

it turned out to be 45 minutes of fun and entertaining ways for them to ask you to give them 10s on the reviews.

Well that most likely would have been my last cruise on Princess. And as we are looking to venture beyond Celebrity one of our wants for our next line will be a staff that does not do this.

• Like 1

I am too cynical to answer the survey honestly. I could spend 20 minutes trying to make precise judgments about all the various crew we encounter, but then I know that the attention I am giving the survey is far greater than X management will.

If the point of the survey is to use any <10 answers against the staff, no matter whose fault a dissatisfaction may be, I say to heck with it. I will use all 10's on the survey to fight back. The crew works really hard in general. I certainly don't let a couple of minor things ruin my cruise, so I ain't gonna be X's HR weapon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1