PH on the New Vista

Goofyisme

We are sailing on the Vista in a PH cabin with oversized veranda.  This is our first Oceania cruise so we are very much looking forward to a great time.

Of course no one has been on a Vista cruise yet, but I was wondering if anyone could give me a few notes on how they enjoy PH Suites on Oceania and any hints on how to take the best advantage of the benefits included with PH.

Also we have dear friends traveling at the same time but not in a suite.  What do you think is the best way to get them included in specialty dining reservations with us.

I also intend to take advantage of of Privee for the four of us and hopefully new friends.  I know we do this thru special services but any inside info are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and wishing you a Happy New Year.

Keith

You do not need to book Privee through special services  just  ask your TA  to book it for you   or call Oceania

Book early as  it is a popular  Venue

You can "dine in"  your cabin  ordering from the Specialty restaurant  & served by your Butler if you feel like  a relaxing night in

Be sure to try Afternoon tea early in the cruise  in case you want to go more often

Many people do not discover  the tea  until near the end of the cruise

1 hour ago, Goofyisme said:

We are sailing on the Vista in a PH cabin with oversized veranda.  This is our first Oceania cruise so we are very much looking forward to a great time.

Of course no one has been on a Vista cruise yet, but I was wondering if anyone could give me a few notes on how they enjoy PH Suites on Oceania and any hints on how to take the best advantage of the benefits included with PH.

Also we have dear friends traveling at the same time but not in a suite.  What do you think is the best way to get them included in specialty dining reservations with us.

I also intend to take advantage of of Privee for the four of us and hopefully new friends.  I know we do this thru special services but any inside info are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and wishing you a Happy New Year.

Keith

You can include your friends when you book your specialty dining reservations on line, if they have paid in full, using their booking number.  It will use one of their guaranteed reservations.  Once on board you can also try to get additional reservations for the 4 of you, depending on availability.   Your butler can help you get additional reservations, if they are available.  

I think you'll enjoy the suite.  Happy sailing!

Edited by 1985rz1

21 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

You do not need to book Privee through special services  just  ask your TA  to book it for you   or call Oceania

You can "dine in"  your cabin  ordering from the Specialty restaurant  & served by your Butler if you feel like  a relaxing night in

Be sure to try Afternoon tea early in the cruise  in case you want to go more often

Thanks. Tea is one of the things that drew us to Oceania we used to love them on Regent

37 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Yes, do reserve Privee as soon as possiple once can.  That may be the amenity with the fewest available "slots", given it's just one room.

And note:  Having your Butler serve you in your suite does not count as one of the "available" Specialty reservations.  That applies to the seating *in* each restaurant.

We happen to love eating in a couple of the Specialties, so if there is any difficulty getting extra reservations, we'll first ask our Butler if they can arrange additional reservations.  Often that is possible.

If not, then we just "eat in" our suite!

We will also "eat in" if we are tired after an excursion or such.

But we also double check the MDR menu, as there can be something there that is especially appealing, in which case, we'll try to adjust our reservation date.

For anything like this, when we know in advance (even slightly in advance), we always tell our Butler as soon as possible, so they can arrange their schedules.  And we tell them that if they are busy at that particular time, let us know as we can almost always adjust our timing if that makes a difference.

Another treat is to have a nice big breakfast served when we wake up. We do request that in advance, at a certain time.  What we do is tell the Butler that the "Privacy" signage is for every else, not for them.  If we truly want privacy, we'll bolt the door.

So they can quietly come in with breakfast.  If we are awake, we'll greet them and talk (obviously!), but if we are not, they can be very unobtrusive.  And what's better than waking up to the smell of bacon and coffee, and perhaps a few gentle clinks of the china being set out?

If we open our eyes and mumble "Good morning!", we'll get a gentle greeting in response. Otherwise, they are in, set everything up, and they leave.

They are professionals.

Yes, we do this even when a "suite" is really only one large room.

We *really* appreciate Butler service on cruises. 🙂 

Enjoy!

GC

• Like 4

This type of suite is something I can only aspire to. I’m afraid if I splurge and book a PH or above I will be forever spoiled and then I’ll only be able to cruise every other year. Perhaps for one of our big birthdays. Until then I will enjoy our lowly veranda cabin. Big sigh. 😊

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TakingFlight said:

This type of suite is something I can only aspire to. I’m afraid if I splurge and book a PH or above I will be forever spoiled and then I’ll only be able to cruise every other year. Perhaps for one of our big birthdays. Until then I will enjoy our lowly veranda cabin. Big sigh. 😊

Please don't sigh!  I have to say, I recently did the Celebrity Edge, Edge Villa Suite solo on a 14-day TA.  It was truly a splurge for my 60th birthday, booked in Dec. 2019 (when I turned 60) for what was to be a May 2020 cruise, but COVID had other ideas, so I celebrated my 60th this year, at 2019 prices in 2022 in the EV, not to shabby.  Anyway, I'd honestly not stay in the EV again, oh it was a lovely very large 2 level suite, but I was hardly in my room.  Off the ship all day at the 5 port stops and then even on all of the 8 sea days, maybe 2 or 3 times I spent any semi-significant time in the suite, otherwise I did make use of the Retreat areas, but the rest of the ship was so so nice, that is where I spent almost all of my time.  For my first Oceania cruise this coming May, while port intensive, I imagine when on the ship, again most of our (my hubby is joining me on this cruise) time will be out and about enjoying all the Vista looks like it has to offer.  The upper suites, while really lovely, but for our style of cruising, they just don't make sense to put all that extra $$ into something we will not take full advantage of.  So I guess what I am saying is been there, done that, glad I did but don't need to again.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TakingFlight said:

I think you might enjoy the rest of the ship

I am not  in the cabin much when we cruise so  for us  we would rather  be out & about meeting people  that sitting in the cabin

personal choice   & no regrets

Enjoy life  it has an expiry date

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TakingFlight said:

This type of suite is something I can only aspire to. I’m afraid if I splurge and book a PH or above I will be forever spoiled and then I’ll only be able to cruise every other year. ... Until then I will enjoy our lowly veranda cabin....

Do NOT let PH "snobs" make you envious. Keep in mind that on Vista they're mostly found on Deck 11 with a few on Deck 10. So, far more B1-B5 & A1-A4 cabins on Decks 7-12 on Vista! And whether a B4 or an A4, you'll love the verandas. For how little time we spend in my cabin outside of sleeping and bathing, a PH is a complete waste of money for us. I don't cruise to sit in my cabin, even on the veranda, during the day. And that PH butler does me no good every day I'm off the ship doing excursions. I couldn't imagine spending $500-$700 per day per PH. Not when the other cabins are so nice and I'm out enjoying the ship or excursions. Wife & I loved our A4 or Riviera 12/21 but we also loved our B2 on  Sirena 11/22. We saw the same shows and ate in the same specialty restaurants. I have no intention ever of paying for a PH. (Nor taking a transatlantic cruise, which might be the only one I could imagine spending significant time in the PH.)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Do NOT let PH "snobs" make you envious. Keep in mind that on Vista they're mostly found on Deck 11 with a few on Deck 10. So, far more B1-B5 & A1-A4 cabins on Decks 7-12 on Vista! And whether a B4 or an A4, you'll love the verandas. For how little time we spend in my cabin outside of sleeping and bathing, a PH is a complete waste of money for us. I don't cruise to sit in my cabin, even on the veranda, during the day. And that PH butler does me no good every day I'm off the ship doing excursions. I couldn't imagine spending $500-$700 per day per PH. Not when the other cabins are so nice and I'm out enjoying the ship or excursions. Wife & I loved our A4 or Riviera 12/21 but we also loved our B2 on  Sirena 11/22. We saw the same shows and ate in the same specialty restaurants. I have no intention ever of paying for a PH. (Nor taking a transatlantic cruise, which might be the only one I could imagine spending significant time in the PH.)

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that's sarcasm.  Using the word "snobs" is judgmental and uncalled for. What you call a "complete waste of money" is not for others. We've worked hard our entire lives and now wish to spend our money on things that we enjoy.  Always booking a PH one of those things. We won't go back to booking a smaller cabin. Been there, done that. We book a PH because of the larger size, not for the butler whom we don't use.  Some people do like to sit on their veranda.  It doesn't make them a "snob". 

We don't own a second home, a boat, jet skis, extra cars, expensive jewelry, etc., etc.  If you ever met me, you would find out right away that I'm a down-to-earth simple person.  I won't apologize for always booking a PH. You spend your money as you wish and I will do the same. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

PH snobs!?!  Your drama teacher would be proud!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

... Using the word "snobs" is judgmental and uncalled for. What you call a "complete waste of money" is not for others....

You left off "for us" as in "a PH is a complete waste of money for us." Please at least get the quote right.

As for PH "snobs" my primary reference there is to anyone who tries to make those in cabin levels below them feel inferior or think they're not getting the full O experience. As if having a PH (or higher) is the sine qua non (pun intended here!) for a true or real O cruise. One doesn't need a butler or a slightly bigger room to enjoy the ship or activities or excursions. That is what I LOVE about O. The equality of cabins/passengers when we leave our cabins. The only exception being the therapy pools, for As and up. But unless you tell someone what cabin type you're in, it doesn't matter. Whether a G or B or PH.

So, anyone who looks down from their PH on non-PH cabins or passengers is a "snob". Same for anyone trying to make others jealous of their PH status! To each their own, but whether you're in a PH or not doesn't matter a whit. We each do what we want and pay for what we get. FOR US, a PH is a complete waste of time. I pity anyone who tries to lord it over others with the PH status, for all I see is a wasted room FOR US. A PH has no value FOR US. And I do not care when I'm on board whether you're in any particular cabin or not.

45 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

You left off "for us" as in "a PH is a complete waste of money for us." Please at least get the quote right.

As for PH "snobs" my primary reference there is to anyone who tries to make those in cabin levels below them feel inferior or think they're not getting the full O experience. As if having a PH (or higher) is the sine qua non (pun intended here!) for a true or real O cruise. One doesn't need a butler or a slightly bigger room to enjoy the ship or activities or excursions. That is what I LOVE about O. The equality of cabins/passengers when we leave our cabins. The only exception being the therapy pools, for As and up. But unless you tell someone what cabin type you're in, it doesn't matter. Whether a G or B or PH.

So, anyone who looks down from their PH on non-PH cabins or passengers is a "snob". Same for anyone trying to make others jealous of their PH status! To each their own, but whether you're in a PH or not doesn't matter a whit. We each do what we want and pay for what we get. FOR US, a PH is a complete waste of time. I pity anyone who tries to lord it over others with the PH status, for all I see is a wasted room FOR US. A PH has no value FOR US. And I do not care when I'm on board whether you're in any particular cabin or not.

You forgot your opening line: do not let the PH “snobs” make you envious 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

We book a PH because of the larger size, not for the butler whom we don't use.  Some people do like to sit on their veranda.  It doesn't make them a "snob". 

38 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

As for PH "snobs" my primary reference there is to anyone who tries to make those in cabin levels below them feel inferior or think they're not getting the full O experience.

38 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

So, anyone who looks down from their PH on non-PH cabins or passengers is a "snob". Same for anyone trying to make others jealous of their PH status!

Mr. Iowa, how sad that you've apparently had the experience that you describe above. I'm sure that most of us have not. Of our three O cruises, two were in B3s, the last in a PH; and have a PH booked on Vista for 11/24. I completely agree with all that sunlover12 said. While the butler's services are nice, it's not the reason we loved the PH. It's the added space and in the case of Vista, location, location, location...the two aft facing PH1s on deck 7. Big, wraparound balconies. We do enjoy spending time in the cabin and on the balcony, especially on TAs, which we love. So for us, it's ideal. (Matter of fact, regarding the butlers, my guess is I'm not alone when I say I'd be happy if O were to offer a PH category without butler service.) It would never occur to me or my husband to 'look down' on anyone, ever...on a ship or anywhere else...with the possible exception of someone who displays such intolerance of others and their choices. 🤔

• Like 3

16 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Another treat is to have a nice big breakfast served when we wake up. We do request that in advance, at a certain time.  What we do is tell the Butler that the "Privacy" signage is for every else, not for them.  If we truly want privacy, we'll bolt the door.

So they can quietly come in with breakfast.  If we are awake, we'll greet them and talk (obviously!), but if we are not, they can be very unobtrusive.  And what's better than waking up to the smell of bacon and coffee, and perhaps a few gentle clinks of the china being set out?

If we open our eyes and mumble "Good morning!", we'll get a gentle greeting in response. Otherwise, they are in, set everything up, and they leave.

For me and my DH this really would be a treat. We sail in suites (other line) all the time but have never had a butler.  Never thought I’d have a use for one. Just taking our first on Oceania in March but picked a B4 with the extra large balcony.  This is a compelling reason to book a PH though!  Thanks for the info. 

15 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

For me and my DH this really would be a treat. We sail in suites (other line) all the time but have never had a butler.  Never thought I’d have a use for one. Just taking our first on Oceania in March but picked a B4 with the extra large balcony.  This is a compelling reason to book a PH though!  Thanks for the info. 

Did you mean B3 ?

No extended balcony in B 4  that I know of

If there is no elitism on Oceania then why are the key cards color coded.

White/Blue for Verandas, Insides, Oceanview

Silver for Concierge

Gold for PH

Gold with black (and type of suite) for Oceania, Vista, Owner's

Edited by PaulMCO

4 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

If there is no elitism on Oceania then why are the key cards color coded.

White/Blue for Verandas, Insides, Oceanview

Silver for Concierge

Gold for PH

Gold with black (and type of suite) for Oceania, Vista, Owner's

Oh, please. I guess for some, color coded cards are a sign of elitism. And if you spend a lot of time looking for such things while onboard, I'm sure you could come up with a myriad of examples. Never noticed it myself. Imo, feelings of elitism start with self worth and how we view ourselves in the world...not to be defined by the color of a cruise card.

• Like 7

The Color Coded card ties specifically to the membership level the guest is in the Oceania Club, not stateroom or Suite category.  Everyone has access to everything on board, be it for a price in the Spa or just card access, except the Concierge or Executive Lounges that are a paid for perk of those Categories. 
To be honest, we have never really paid attention to card colors except if asked about it by a friend or guest. It opens my door and gets me on and off the ship, and I charge stuff to it, that is all it is for me.  I am sure it is something the staff may to pay attention to if you are buying drinks or something but I have never considered the Color to be Elitist. 

Mauibabes

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

The Color Coded card ties specifically to the membership level the guest is in the Oceania Club, not stateroom or Suite category.

Mauibabes

I think you are mistaken

We have had a different coloured key card for Concierge level   but not  anything to do with our club status  level

• Like 1