Turn Down to be reduced to once a day 2023!

ulster-cruiser

8 minutes ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

I would suggest handing out notes which state something like the below (for an extra nice touch address the notes to FDR…).

Our family is committed to driving positive impact on the environment. As part of our family’s sustainability program we are constantly seeking opportunities to reduce our carbon footprint. As part of this initiative we have decided not driving anymore to the bank or ATM machines for getting cash. 

Hence, for unforseen reasons, we are unable to tip you like we previously used to. 

We appreciate your understanding and trust that you support us on this important sustainability initiative.

😏

Cool idea. Just gotta hope that the employees aren't smart enough to realize that there is an ATM machine onboard that you could walk to without affecting your carbon footprint.

Unless you are a family of four which requires beds to be pulled down from the ceiling each night (or a couch made into a bed),, this change is likely going to  be well tolerated by the average cruiser.

But in spite of some misinformed posters who seem to believe things are back to normal in the cruise industry, more significant cuts are in the future. 

Cruise lines continue to bleed cash at alarming rates. Even if they return to 2019 profitability, they will barely make enough to pay interest only payment on current debt.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, uneamie said:

I can't imagine how many resources like cleaning supplies etc they use just by turning your bed down and maybe leaving a towel animal. Yes, some rooms require a little extra like pulling out sofabeds but how many of those are there really? 

On my cruise in March, I ended up showering 2x a day.  I can't wake up and start my day without showering, but then I'd get in the salt water pool in the afternoon and need another before dinner.  My shower would be cleaned (for the second time that day) with a fresh floor mat by the time I was done at dinner.  That would be a water savings. The towel being hung for re-use was definitely honored. Also on that cruise I know there was at least one room that never had the sofa made back into a sofa during the day.

3 hours ago, JezzaC said:

I don’t mind the change. I hope customers can then choose either AM or PM daily service.

I'd be on board with this plan, but it does make me a little salty to know they're DECREASING service, DECREASING staff, DECREASING salary for some staff and yet INCREASING the DSC that goes toward those salaries and services.

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I'll start with the mining industry. Cruise ships don't, in general, rip open the ground and make life where they pass uninhabitable.

This might change your mind...

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

I would suggest handing out notes which state something like the below (for an extra nice touch address the notes to FDR…).

Our family is committed to driving positive impact on the environment. As part of our family’s sustainability program we are constantly seeking opportunities to reduce our carbon footprint. As part of this initiative we have decided not driving anymore to the bank or ATM machines for getting cash. 

Hence, for unforseen reasons, we are unable to tip you like we previously used to. 

We appreciate your understanding and trust that you support us on this important sustainability initiative.

😏

I fundamentally disagree with blaming the crew for the bean counting. If you're going to cruise you should tip as you always would. If you disagree with the changes made, just don't cruise and explore land vacations, all inclusives, etc. or move on to different lines such as ones that include tips in the fare.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

The timing on this announcement is poor. To increase daily service charge at the same time as reducing daily service was a major blunder. Makes upper management look less than competent.

Unfortunately, the facts remain. NCL is currently 14 Billion (with a B) dollars in debt and will need more reductions in service to avoid restructuring (if restructuring can be avoided).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

😏

I can imagine some employees carrying cards with a QR code for their Venmo if too many customers stop bringing cash.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The timing on this announcement is poor. To increase daily service charge at the same time as reducing daily service was a major blunder. Makes upper management look less than competent.

Unfortunately, the facts remain. NCL is currently 14 Billion (with a B) dollars in debt and will need more reductions in service to avoid restructuring (if restructuring can be avoided).

Not really a fair comment given that no announcement has been made. This isn't something that upper management released, all of this is conjecture based on a second-hand report from a crew-related independent website. Nothing official has been announced by NCL.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

It would be so refreshing if they’d just admit the fact and not try to bs ”for your convenience”, ”due to environment”, ”for unforseen reasons”. 

Just say it how it is and people would be much more sympathetic of the changes  (of course they won’t say the below as they are too afraid to admit a bad financial situation):

”Dear customer, we want your cruise to be the best possible and are committed to giving you a fantastic cruise holiday. At the same time we are faced with the need to cut our costs. The covid pandemic caused our industry to suffer and we, like the rest of the cruise lines, are still trying to recouperate. The high inflation doesn’t really help either.

As we do not want to increase the basic  cost of the cruise we we are implementing the following changes starting from 1/1… to decrease our costs. We decided on these measures as we considered them to have the least effect in your overall cruise experience: …” Etc etc. 

• Like 9

Unfortunately, the market has decided how much people are willing to pay for a mass market cruise and that hasn't risen significantly over the past 20 years. People want the new ships and the broadway shows and the themed bars and a dozen restaurants to choose from, but they also want to keep that initial price point static, which means cruise lines have to charge money in other ways or they won't remain viable.

My half of a porthole cabin on my first cruise on NCL in 1990 was about $1400. Two seatings for dinner, midnight buffet, some small but nice production shows. The daily largely consisted of telling you when ping pong and shuffleboard equipment would be available. 

People who want that level of service from 1990 and willing to pay the market price for it can find it on luxury lines (or to some extent in the Haven). For the rest, we take the massive included offerings and pay out of pocket elsewhere. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SeaShark said:

Not really a fair comment given that no announcement has been made. This isn't something that upper management released, all of this is conjecture based on a second-hand report from a crew-related independent website. Nothing official has been announced by NCL.

So we wait for the official announcement from NCL and then it will be a fair comment? 

I'm still waiting for NCL to officially announce they are laying off 9% of their shoreside workforce in Miami. Not one mention of that on the investors page. Unless required by the SEC to disclose, NCLH tends to limit the amount of bad news they formally announce (as do most large companies). Take a look and tell me if you can find the layoff info anywhere:

https://www.nclhltd.com/investors/news-events

Regardless, I'm assuming the crew news story is accurate which makes the timing poor.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

This isn't something that upper management released, all of this is conjecture based on a second-hand report from a crew-related independent website. Nothing official has been announced by NCL.

I trust the crew-related site and Cruise Industry News.  They say they got communications from NCL crew, who got memos from NCL.  I don't expect NCL's PR staff to make an announcement about them cutting staff, cutting some salaries, and cutting some services.  Even the Spin Doctors couldn't make this sound good.  They WILL have to make announcements to their passengers about the reduction in services in due time.  I can wait. 🍿

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

So we wait for the official announcement from NCL and then it will be a fair comment? 

I'm still waiting for NCL to officially announce they are laying off 9% of their shoreside workforce in Miami. Not one mention of that on the investors page. Unless required by the SEC to disclose, NCLH tends to limit the amount of bad news they formally announce (as do most large companies). Take a look and tell me if you can find the layoff info anywhere:

Regardless, I'm assuming the crew news story is accurate which makes the timing poor.

So at least recognize that there has been no announcement, and that you are just assuming that a second-hand report is accurate and official.

And whose timing is it that you are stating is "poor"?

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

3 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

So at least recognize that there has been no announcement, and that you are just assuming that a second-hand report is accurate and official.

Cruisdeindustrynews.com says it has obtained a copy of the letter, which verifies the original  Crew Center report .

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2022/12/norwegian-cruise-line-trimming-stateroom-cleaning-cutting-crew-roles/

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SeaShark said:

It is poor timing for NCL management to send a letter to crew about staffing/service reductions at the same time as announcing to the public an increase in daily service charge. 

Not sure why you are doubling down. The whole idea of once a day cabin service was a matter of when not if. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, ulster-cruiser said:

According to NCL the reduction in daily housekeeping service will have a positive impact on the company’s “commitment to environmental sustainability”,

This from the company that implemented paper straws but kept plastic cups.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

Nearly top marks, just need to add in a 'for your convenience' or two. 😛

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

NCL won't be officially announcing anything as it's NCLH that is laying off, not NCL.

That aside, if you're looking for the announcement on the website, you have to look at the right place. Try https://www.nclhltd.com/investors/sec-filings/all-sec-filings/content/0001558370-22-018672/0001558370-22-018672.pdf

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Cruisdeindustrynews.com says it has obtained a copy of the letter, which verifies the original  Crew Center report .

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2022/12/norwegian-cruise-line-trimming-stateroom-cleaning-cutting-crew-roles/

Read it again...they say no such thing. They only that that crew center is reporting not that they (cruise industry news) has or have seen a letter.

Edited by SeaShark

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

I fundamentally disagree with blaming the crew for the bean counting. If you're going to cruise you should tip as you always would. If you disagree with the changes made, just don't cruise and explore land vacations, all inclusives, etc. or move on to different lines such as ones that include tips in the fare.

I'm pretty sure the person who wrote the post was being facetious. I agree that blaming the crew isn't necessarily the right way to go at it, however unhappy crew = unhappy passengers = more complaints and potentially fewer customers or crew. Sometimes the way to affect change is from the inside. Not saying it's right or wrong, just the way it is. 

48 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Upper management is less than competent. 

32 minutes ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

It would be so refreshing if they’d just admit the fact and not try to bs ”for your convenience”, ”due to environment”, ”for unforseen reasons”. 

Just say it how it is and people would be much more sympathetic of the changes  (of course they won’t say the below as they are too afraid to admit a bad financial situation):

”Dear customer, we want your cruise to be the best possible and are committed to giving you a fantastic cruise holiday. At the same time we are faced with the need to cut our costs. The covid pandemic caused our industry to suffer and we, like the rest of the cruise lines, are still trying to recouperate. The high inflation doesn’t really help either.

As we do not want to increase the basic  cost of the cruise we we are implementing the following changes starting from 1/1… to decrease our costs. We decided on these measures as we considered them to have the least effect in your overall cruise experience: …” Etc etc. 

A corporation telling the truth? That wouldn't sit well with investors. I'd much prefer being told the truth, but I doubt it'll happen. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

It is poor timing for NCL management to send a letter to crew about staffing/service reductions at the same time as announcing to the public an increase in daily service charge. 

Not sure why you are doubling down. The whole idea of once a day cabin service was a matter of when not if. 

The letter was actually an announcement that the Jr Room Steward position was being eliminated and that all personnel at that classification would be promoted to full Room Steward...but you already knew that, right?

Not doubling down, just wondering why you're soooooo reluctant to just say "OK, I misspoke, no official announement was actually made".

3 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Read it again...they say no such thing. They only that that crew center is reporting not that they (cruise industry news) has or has seen a letter.

No...you need to read the first paragraph. Cruise Industry News clearly states it obtained the letter.

Optimizing operations is continuing at Norwegian Cruise Line, which is set to reduce its stateroom cleaning service in 2023 fleetwide, according to a report from Crew Center, citing a letter sent to crew, which was also obtained later by Cruise Industry News.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

NCL won't be officially announcing anything as it's NCLH that is laying off, not NCL.

That aside, if you're looking for the announcement on the website, you have to look at the right place. Try https://www.nclhltd.com/investors/sec-filings/all-sec-filings/content/0001558370-22-018672/0001558370-22-018672.pdf

edit: My apologies. My post was wrong.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Not doubling down, just wondering why you're soooooo reluctant to just say "OK, I misspoke, no official announement was actually made".

Read it again. I never said NCL made an official announcement about the service reduction. I said they made an official announcement about increased service charges. To follow that up with a letter to crew about service reduction was poor timing and I stand behind my statement as a fair criticism.

You and I both know the difference between NCL and NCLH and the required filings with the SEC. For the love of God I'm the one that linked you to the nclh investors page.  I know what was filed with the SEC. I also know that that little tidbit of info about a 9% lay off is not listed in the news section for investors.

You really are doubling down. You must not have paid attention to Kenny :).

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1