NCL - Is this a deal or just marketing trick!

VelvetSkeeter

NCl has a special offer  2nd guest cruise free! But do they?  I have friend that used NCl to Alaska w/o this deal and they paid about 4k+  for 1 cabin / 2 people. So I would expect an average of around 4 - 6k maybe for a 7 night Balcony fro 2 folks.  When looking it the price for a cabin for 2 people come to about the same as it has ever been when looking. It is also very comparable to Princess and Celebrity without a 2 for 1. Seems to be just marketing I would not expect a 7 night on NCL to be starting at 4k person for a room normally? 

NCL2-offer.jpg

NCL3-offer.jpg

NCL4-offer.jpg

Marketing trick. NCL pretty much constantly offers some variation of this "deal." 50% off each guest or second guest sails free. You are not the first to ask this question and I guarantee you won't be the last. The cell phone companies, big box clothing retailers, etc. all do the same thing. 

Edited by weltek
  • Like 1

Ok ,  I thought maybe there was a glitch when it got to the Summary page!  I was just trying to compare options, cost and itineraries between Princess and Celebrity but then I saw the NCL deal pop up on my timeline and had to check it out.  I guess the marketing worked in that regard.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, weltek said:

The cell phone companies, big box clothing retailers, etc. all do the same thing. 

I seem to recall Jos. A. Bank getting in trouble for the same thing.  Stuff like 75% off sale, this weekend only!  Next weekend was Buy One Get 3 Free!  

NCL vets are sufficiently jaded not to fall for these but there's always the hope that some newbie books a cruise thinking they're getting a great deal.

EDIT:  Sound familiar?  https://www.troutman.com/insights/jos-a-bank-faces-class-action-over-never-ending-sale.html

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

Some may go down too, but that hasn't been my experience so far.

Yep.  This is generally the case.  That said, when they went from 40% off to 50% in November, I had across the board price reductions.  I had a $1500 total price reduction across eight future bookings.  Other than that, I've never seen a change to the sales make any meaningful difference.

• Like 1

My experience has been that when itineraries are freshly released the price may be lower. Then over the next two years before sail dates price rises. If its not selling well there may be drops in some cabin categories. But despite the "latest and greatest ever" sales the price is relatively stable. I've kept spreadsheets on cruises I've purchased to look for possible upgrade or money back opportunities, or you may hear of a meaningful price drop on a roll call.

Other than that, best prices are AFTER final payment dates when some who have booked but decide not to complete payment cause a surplus of rooms available. This works great for retirees or someone who can wait for last minute booking. On popular itineraries or international travel where you need to book air and hotels earlier I will book earlier since sale prices are not changing much.

• Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, herbanrenewal said:

My experience has been that when itineraries are freshly released the price may be lower. Then over the next two years before sail dates price rises. If its not selling well there may be drops in some cabin categories. But despite the "latest and greatest ever" sales the price is relatively stable. I've kept spreadsheets on cruises I've purchased to look for possible upgrade or money back opportunities, or you may hear of a meaningful price drop on a roll call.

Other than that, best prices are AFTER final payment dates when some who have booked but decide not to complete payment cause a surplus of rooms available. This works great for retirees or someone who can wait for last minute booking. On popular itineraries or international travel where you need to book air and hotels earlier I will book earlier since sale prices are not changing much.

Yes, we must have got a decent price for next summer when we booked the Prima while it was still being built. The brochure that we saw the cruise, fell in love with the itinerary, and then booked it with our TA advertised 60% off the second passenger (actually 30% off each passenger). When I now saw they were advertising second passenger free (actually both passengers 50% off), I called the TA to see if our price had possibly gone down. He checked and said he did see the 50% off each passenger, but when he checked what the new price would be, it was going to be higher, not lower.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VelvetSkeeter said:

NCl has a special offer  2nd guest cruise free! But do they?  I have friend that used NCl to Alaska w/o this deal and they paid about 4k+  for 1 cabin / 2 people. So I would expect an average of around 4 - 6k maybe for a 7 night Balcony fro 2 folks.  When looking it the price for a cabin for 2 people come to about the same as it has ever been when looking. It is also very comparable to Princess and Celebrity without a 2 for 1. Seems to be just marketing I would not expect a 7 night on NCL to be starting at 4k person for a room normally? 

NCL2-offer.jpg

NCL3-offer.jpg

NCL4-offer.jpg

It is their current offer. Not a gimmick. Take it or leave it. You can do the math.

NCL does not reduce their prices when the offers change. In fact, the current offer actually made cruises cheaper for many, so they rebooked with the current offer. 

NCL offers and prices change very little from week to week. While people say it’s a gimmick, you’re not going to get anything better on NCL. The offers have changed very little over the past few years. 

Yes, prices are going up. Just like anything else. Uncontrolled, massive inflation caused by the US. 

• Like 1

I’m in agreement with Herbanrenewal, about new listings.  We have booked as soon as new itineraries have posted and rarely see a rate below what we paid, with the room cabin category and location we prefer.   You just have to very astute and it doesn’t hurt to have an excellent PCC who keeps an eye out for you, too.

• Like 2

Does it matter?  The price you see for total due is the price you will get.  Shop the price against other cruise lines with similar itineraries and ships.  If NCL is a better deal than the other lines, book NCL.  If they are not the best deal, book with another cruise line.  

• Like 1

What are newbies falling for.  Its not like they book the cruise for one price and then all of a sudden they owe double after they book.  With anything, people are going to make a purchase if they are comfortable with the price.  I am not going to buy a $5000 tv just because Best Buy is advertising it as 50% off.  I might buy the $1,000 tv whether or not its advertised as on sale.  

•  

Edited by Liljo22

Just another example of how people are too lazy to ask the right questions. When you see "2nd guest sails free", you should be asking "what about guest #1?". When you see "50% off" you should be asking "off of what, exactly?".

It has been stated before...some people think that "buy one get one" and "50% off" are different sales.

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

It is their current offer. Not a gimmick. Take it or leave it. You can do the math.

NCL does not reduce their prices when the offers change. In fact, the current offer actually made cruises cheaper for many, so they rebooked with the current offer. 

NCL offers and prices change very little from week to week. While people say it’s a gimmick, you’re not going to get anything better on NCL. The offers have changed very little over the past few years. 

Yes, prices are going up. Just like anything else. Uncontrolled, massive inflation caused by the US. 

I did the math - it is the same price as when I was looking and they didn't; thave this "deal".  Which is why asked if maybe the summary was wrong and didn't; account for it.  

48 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Just another example of how people are too lazy to ask the right questions. When you see "2nd guest sails free", you should be asking "what about guest #1?". When you see "50% off" you should be asking "off of what, exactly?".

It has been stated before...some people think that "buy one get one" and "50% off" are different sales.

It is a shame you weren't too lazy to respond to my post. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Liljo22 said:

Does it matter?  The price you see for total due is the price you will get.  Shop the price against other cruise lines with similar itineraries and ships.  If NCL is a better deal than the other lines, book NCL.  If they are not the best deal, book with another cruise line.  

It should matter as far as advertising. It is the same price per 2 people per cabin as always. 

Edited by VelvetSkeeter

3 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Of course not.  Your post suggests that you already know the answer.

image.jpeg.b2832fe072ad0204beae366f08dbc883.jpeg

I have never seen a NCL 7 night that was 8k+ a normal room. They have always been about 4k for 2 ppl, and with this "deal" they are still around 4k for 2 ppl. It is deceptive advertising at the least. 

Edited by VelvetSkeeter
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, VelvetSkeeter said:

I did the math - it is the same price as when I was looking and they didn't; thave this "deal".  Which is why asked if maybe the summary was wrong and didn't; account for it.  

Again, the price is the price, regardless of what “deal” is used to get there. Tens of thousands of people sail each week using one “deal” or another. We do. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VelvetSkeeter said:

image.jpeg.b2832fe072ad0204beae366f08dbc883.jpeg

I have never seen a NCL 7 night that was 8k+ a normal room. They have always been about 4k for 2 ppl, and with this "deal" they are still around 4k for 2 ppl. It is deceptive advertising at the least. 

Nothing deceptive about it if you look at brochure rates which no one ever pays but which are advertised.