Iona strange tracking

binman2

Noticed Iona did a full circle after leaving cadiz tonight tracking her on cruise mapper and looked like rubber boat had been launched She seems to be back on coarse again .It also said Southampton next  destination should call at Lisbon and vigo on way back but that may be wrong 

Iona’s cruise back from the canaries is full of incident. I have a person on the ground on this one.

1. Lisbon cancelled due to pilot strike. Replaced with stat extended overnight in Vigo.

2. Vigo cancelled due to extreme bad weather replaced with extended two day stat in Cadiz.

3. After leaving Cadiz a small boat came close to Iona. Due to it being night, it want possible to track by sight snd there was concern it got too close. Fast response ribs were deployed just after 21:30. Iona circled until incident over just after 22:00. Concluded with local coastguard that boat had moved on.

4. Medical emergency onboard. Headed for Faro but too rough to offload passenger. Medical staff boarded and Iona now headed for Lisbon harbour entrance / port (sea dependent) to offload.

Crew doing wonderful job. Captain keeping ship informed.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 13

1 hour ago, alpha whiskey said:

Thanks for posting this link.  I didn't realise the strike affected other Portuguese ports as well.  

According to the article looks like we might not be getting into Madeira - twice.  On Azura later this month.

Oh well, that will be another claim for missed ports....

Be interesting to see what they replace it with. 

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Thanks for posting this link.  I didn't realise the strike affected other Portuguese ports as well.  

According to the article looks like we might not be getting into Madeira - twice.  On Azura later this month.

I was following the ship movements in Funchal yesterday and noticed there were no pilot vessels operating but the cruise ships were entering and leaving, just checked this evening and no pilot vessels

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, davecttr said:

I was following the ship movements in Funchal yesterday and noticed there were no pilot vessels operating but the cruise ships were entering and leaving, just checked this evening and no pilot vessels

Suggestions that there may be special arrangements for Madeira, being a reasonably easy port for the captain to dock at.

• Thanks 3

17 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I was thinking the same thing, as I am sailing to the Canary Islands with another cruise line early next month. We are due to call at Madeira on the way out and Lisbon on the way back.

As regards Madeira, options would appear to be one of the Canary islands or possibly Casablanca or Agadir in Morocco. As regards Lisbon, other Portuguese ports are likely to suffer from the same problem so that leaves Cadiz or somewhere in Northern Spain like Coruna or Vigo.

• Like 1