Any last-minute things for a first timer to remember?

kshannon5

Hello all,

We're beyond excited to board QM2 on the 3rd!

I've done a lot of due diligence leading up to this, but always worried that I'm missing something. What last-minute things should I not overlook?

Thanks for all the expertise that's sure to come my way. 😁

Kris

• Like 1

I'll list some items I've forgotten or almost forgotten to take on various trips. Most of these are "duh" of course, but I've managed to slip up or almost slip up on these on occasion.

Power cords for all devices

Power adapters for US to UK/Europe plugs

Ear buds/headphones for cell phone (especially for inflight entertainment)

Rain poncho

Copies of passport and credit/debit card information

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I'll list some items I've forgotten or almost forgotten to take on various trips. Most of these are "duh" of course, but I've managed to slip up or almost slip up on these on occasion.

Power cords for all devices

Power adapters for US to UK/Europe plugs

Ear buds/headphones for cell phone (especially for inflight entertainment)

Rain poncho

Copies of passport and credit/debit card information

All excellent things to remember!

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Seasickness pills, just in case. And a spare pair of glasses.

Already bought Bonine, and plan to start with a dose day before embarking just to be safe...

Also have ginger chews in case we still feel a bit queasy.

• Like 1

Just now, techteach said:

I’d throw in a roll of painters tape to make sure drawers stay shut or to hang things, and a couple of magnets to hang schedules. 

Painter's tape! That's a new one. Do QM2 drawers tend to move that much? Maybe in very rough seas...

2 minutes ago, kshannon5 said:

Painter's tape! That's a new one. Do QM2 drawers tend to move that much? Maybe in very rough seas...

Not in our cabin, but we loaned the roll to a couple sitting near us at dinner. They had an issue with the drawer in the writing table. I used it to tape a piece of paper to the door to the verandah, “I’m out here.”

• Like 2

Three thoughts not previously mentioned....

1. Although Cunard hasn't been consistent recently in their requirement to show proof of covid vaccination at checkin, don't forget to bring a paper or phone copy of your vaccination status.  Also any other required vaccinations for your itinerary, like yellow fever.
  2. Where possible, arrange any needed visas or electronic travel authorities well in advance, and bring paper copies with proof.  With the intermittent nature of ship wifi, you might not be able to do things last minute.
  3. Lastly, one time I forgot cufflinks for formal nights.  The ship's retail shops sell them, although at rather high prices.
Edited by sfred
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, sfred said:

Three thoughts not previously mentioned....

1. Although Cunard hasn't been consistent recently in their requirement to show proof of covid vaccination at checkin, don't forget to bring a paper or phone copy of your vaccination status.  Also any other required vaccinations for your itinerary, like yellow fever.
  2. Where possible, arrange any needed visas or electronic travel authorities well in advance, and bring paper copies with proof.  With the intermittent nature of ship wifi, you might not be able to do things last minute.
  3. Lastly, one time I forgot cufflinks for formal nights.  The ship's retail shops sell them, although at rather high prices.

Yes, paper copies always, even in these high tech days. Better safe than sorry!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Basic grown-up clothing - at least a jacket and tie for a man, and the kind of dress a woman's mother would have thought was good for company. 

Why try to test the limits?

Oh, no worries. I've been planning outfits for months! 6 of the 8 nights will be floor length dresses and my husband owns a tux and will bring other suits and jackets as well.

• Like 5

Ear plugs and eye mask if  a light sleeper - light can seep in under the door from the corrider and between the curtains and the ship's movement causes creaks in some cabins more than others.  

Ear plugs also help on the last night when wardrobes/closets are empty and the hangars clang against each other 😂

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kshannon5 said:

Hello all,

We're beyond excited to board QM2 on the 3rd!

I've done a lot of due diligence leading up to this, but always worried that I'm missing something. What last-minute things should I not overlook?

Thanks for all the expertise that's sure to come my way. 😁

Kris

Credit cards.

A bundle of dollars, for discreet daily and end of cruise gratuities  (but only if one wishes to do this).

For the lady, it’s bling, bling and more bling.

Names and address of family, friends etc., to send them a physical postcard from the ship.

One’s selection of wine, spirits and beer as there is not limit, as Cunard treat their guests as responsible adults.

Remember there is extra storage in large drawers under, at the foot of, one’s bed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, kshannon5 said:

Already bought Bonine, and plan to start with a dose day before embarking just to be safe...

Also have ginger chews in case we still feel a bit queasy.

you can ask for crystallised ginger after dinner too - it's delicious! 

• Like 2

Ask GS for a couple of free Sewing Kits early in one’s voyage.  If not used, retain for future cruises.

If having a good experience and wish to consider booking again.  Do so onboard to receive additional OBC,  being over and above regular Cunard Fares and Shareholder Benefit.

Consider buying 100 Shares to receive the OBC benefit.  Shares can be purchased as part of one’s pension holdings.  Only one benefit per stateroom is allowed.

Currently the share price is about $8 per share = $800

Link to benefits….. https://www.cunard.com/content/dam/cunard/marketing-assets/pdf/Shareholders_Benefits_2020.pdf

Math… taking three off voyages in the future at 14 or more nights, one receives a total of $750 in OBC, while retaining the actual shares at market rates - Return on investment is? - A no brainer 

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Goin' Grey said:
  • Spare carrier bags / spare plastic bags. (Think shopping.........)
  • Favourite sweets for tours or plane journey home.
  • Hand wipes
  • Cloth for pressing clothes. Tumble dryer sheets, string, pegs.

Pressing cloth - do you think a (clean) towel would suffice?