Single Supplement- AI

Los_Pepes

2 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

There is no point in arguing with this guy, his mind is made up.

FYI, @Los_Pepes, if you remove the gratuities from your kids' room and give the cabin attendant cash, he/she is obliged to turn the cash in to the pool.

I don't think I was arguing with anyone. If I came across as pugnacious I apologize. I felt as it I was listening to people and responding to them respectfully. I even changed my proposed course of action based on feedback from the thread. 

If the room steward has to turn in his cash tips for the pool I can't help that. I guess I need someone to explain to me why I should tip employees on a ship for services not received. 

1 hour ago, Los_Pepes said:

I don't think I was arguing with anyone. If I came across as pugnacious I apologize. I felt as it I was listening to people and responding to them respectfully. I even changed my proposed course of action based on feedback from the thread. 

If the room steward has to turn in his cash tips for the pool I can't help that. I guess I need someone to explain to me why I should tip employees on a ship for services not received. 

Personally I don't believe you were being argumentative. You have a valid point that had your cabin been booked at the cruise only rate, you would have only been billed for gratuities for 1 person.

If I may make the suggestion, if you're the type that tips extra, perhaps instead of removing the tips from one room just don't tip extra on this trip.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, cdn_tbird said:

Personally I don't believe you were being argumentative. You have a valid point that had your cabin been booked at the cruise only rate, you would have only been billed for gratuities for 1 person.

If I may make the suggestion, if you're the type that tips extra, perhaps instead of removing the tips from one room just don't tip extra on this trip.

Just my 2 cents.

You all make good points and I appreciate everyone's concern for the hard working crew. Let me think about other ways to cut costs out of this trip. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Los_Pepes said:

You all make good points and I appreciate everyone's concern for the hard working crew. Let me think about other ways to cut costs out of this trip. 

Or just go with the flow on this cruise, have a great time and consider this cruise/booking experience a lesson learned. No matter who you book your future cruises with ask. Personally, I never book any of our cruises using a website. I always book with a live agent, tell them what itinerary, ship, deck, stateroom number, etc. concerning the cruise and ask questions even though I know the answer. Better safe than sorry. 

8 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Or just go with the flow on this cruise, have a great time and consider this cruise/booking experience a lesson learned. No matter who you book your future cruises with ask. Personally, I never book any of our cruises using a website. I always book with a live agent, tell them what itinerary, ship, deck, stateroom number, etc. concerning the cruise and ask questions even though I know the answer. Better safe than sorry. 

You are probably right that I should use this as lesson learned. The money is gone so I might as well make the best of it. I did however book this over the phone with a live agent which is what makes it a little frustrating. Thanks for the note. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Los_Pepes said:

You are probably right that I should use this as lesson learned. 

I hope you'll consider bringing the others who were considering this cruise back into the fold.  It's a shame to miss out on the memories due to a knee-jerk reaction.  My lesson learned came a few months ago when I booked my first MSC cruise in the YC.  Soon after booking I realized that the dates weren't  going to work for us so I proactively rebooked a different cruise for a few weeks later.  Only problem was the deposit on my original booking wasn't refundable.  I assumed it was and was just going to let my TA work it out.  Had I not jumped the gun, I could have transferred the booking without penalty.  But because I booked a later date and cancelled my original booking, I lost my $398 deposit.  Like you, I owned the mistake because I didn't read the fine print and assumed they operated like other lines.  They offered me some OBC to make up for it and I swallowed my frustration and factored my mistake into the over all cost of the cruise and said "eff" it and moved on.  Had the time of my life and have since booked 2 additional cruises on MSC.  Not trying to be preachy at all.  Just pointing out that in the grand scheme, it's the memories you make that will mean the most.  Happy New Year! 🍾 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

They offered me some OBC to make up for it and I swallowed my frustration and factored my mistake into the over all cost of the cruise and said "eff" it and moved on.  Had the time of my life and have since booked 2 additional cruises on MSC.  Not trying to be preachy at all.  Just pointing out that in the grand scheme, it's the memories you make that will mean the most.  Happy New Year! 🍾 

The older I get, the more often the "eff it and move on" philosophy makes sense for my mental health and overall life satisfaction. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I hope you'll consider bringing the others who were considering this cruise back into the fold.  It's a shame to miss out on the memories due to a knee-jerk reaction.  My lesson learned came a few months ago when I booked my first MSC cruise in the YC.  Soon after booking I realized that the dates weren't  going to work for us so I proactively rebooked a different cruise for a few weeks later.  Only problem was the deposit on my original booking wasn't refundable.  I assumed it was and was just going to let my TA work it out.  Had I not jumped the gun, I could have transferred the booking without penalty.  But because I booked a later date and cancelled my original booking, I lost my $398 deposit.  Like you, I owned the mistake because I didn't read the fine print and assumed they operated like other lines.  They offered me some OBC to make up for it and I swallowed my frustration and factored my mistake into the over all cost of the cruise and said "eff" it and moved on.  Had the time of my life and have since booked 2 additional cruises on MSC.  Not trying to be preachy at all.  Just pointing out that in the grand scheme, it's the memories you make that will mean the most.  Happy New Year! 🍾 

Agreed on all fronts. At the end of the day the sky didn't fall. I simply lost $500. Things could be worse. Happy new year to you as well. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

There is no point in arguing with this guy, his mind is made up.

FYI, @Los_Pepes, if you remove the gratuities from your kids' room and give the cabin attendant cash, he/she is obliged to turn the cash in to the pool.

That sounds like a change. I have been told, on more than one occasion, that a cash tip given to a crew member, such as the Cabin steward, is theirs to keep. The only exception I am/was aware of was in Luminae and Blu where tips are pooled. 

9 hours ago, Straughn said:

I have been told, on more than one occasion, that a cash tip given to a crew member, such as the Cabin steward, is theirs to keep.

From what I understand, that is ONLY if your regular stateroom gratuities have been left in place. If they have been removed then cash must be turned in; but if they have been left in place, the person receiving the cash may keep all of it (of course, they can choose to turn it in for the pool if they desire - and some do to help take care of their co-workers).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Straughn said:

That sounds like a change. I have been told, on more than one occasion, that a cash tip given to a crew member, such as the Cabin steward, is theirs to keep. The only exception I am/was aware of was in Luminae and Blu where tips are pooled. 

Not a change.  It has always been this way.

Look, I get that this person is ticked off that they wouldn't let him change his booking.  But he has resisted our suggestion that he escalate his complaint to the CEO's office.  And he proposes to take his anger out on the cabin attendant by canceling the tips for that person.  In my view, that is not an appropriate response.  The cabin attendant had nothing to do with the situation and will have to make up the cabin whether or not he/she is compensated for doing so.

I sail solo and have been subjected to this double payment regimen since they started AI.  I would never dream of stiffing a cabin attendant because of it.  I do not mind paying double gratuities.  The major problem is paying double internet and drink packages.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Look, I get that this person is ticked off that they wouldn't let him change his booking.  But he has resisted our suggestion that he escalate his complaint to the CEO's office.  And he proposes to take his anger out on the cabin attendant by canceling the tips for that person.  In my view, that is not an appropriate response.  The cabin attendant had nothing to do with the situation and will have to make up the cabin whether or not he/she is compensated for doing so.

I sail solo and have been subjected to this double payment regimen since they started AI.  I would never dream of stiffing a cabin attendant because of it.  I do not mind paying double gratuities.  The major problem is paying double internet and drink packages.

I am also solo most of the time. I totally agree with you. I always tip extra in addition to the prepaid gratuities. Since solos pay double for wi-fi and beverage packages, I wish they would upgrade us to the premium package and the surf and stream wi-fi. 

52 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

1) I am not ticked off that they wouldn't change my booking. I am ticked off that I am out $500. 

2) How do you know who I have and haven't contacted? Just because I don't post something on here doesn't mean I haven't done it. Don't make assumptions.

3) Take my anger out of a cabin attendant? What are you talking about? I am trying to recoup money not penalize anyone. To your own admission, tips are pooled so the burden of my proposed withheld tips would be spread amongst the entire crew. Let's do some simple math for a moment. If a sailing has 2,000 passengers and each are billed $122.50 that would be $245,000 in tips to spread among the crew. If I withhold one of the four I am expected to pay, the tip pool $244,877.50. If 1,000 employees on the boat are tipped, each employee is losing out on $.12. 

You accused me earlier of arguing and actually I feel it is a form of projection as I have gone out my way to be gracious to those making suggestions. 

I'm finding it interesting this "double for beverages and wifi" with AI. I'm booked solo on the Summit this coming summer and have AI. Out of curiosity with all this talk, I went and priced it both ways - if I bought the beverage package and did tips separately - and I come out virtually the exact same buying each of those for one as I do getting AI. And that's not even including the internet which I could take or leave, it's not that big of a deal for me.

I'd say it was some kind of magic my TA was working, but I'm looking at prices without her involved and it's the same. I'm virtually the same amount as if I did cruise only and then booked beverage package and pre-paid tips.

4 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I'm finding it interesting this "double for beverages and wifi" with AI. I'm booked solo on the Summit this coming summer and have AI. Out of curiosity with all this talk, I went and priced it both ways - if I bought the beverage package and did tips separately - and I come out virtually the exact same buying each of those for one as I do getting AI. And that's not even including the internet which I could take or leave, it's not that big of a deal for me.

I'd say it was some kind of magic my TA was working, but I'm looking at prices without her involved and it's the same. I'm virtually the same amount as if I did cruise only and then booked beverage package and pre-paid tips.

I think you are correct if purchased separately. However think of it this way and understand that I am using round numbers here for clarity. If a no perks cabin is normally $1000pp, with a single supplement it would be $2000. That same cabin goes to $1500pp for an AI and with a single supplement it goes to $3000. The difference is $1000 for a single passenger traveling in a no perks cabin to one with AI. 

There are probably more elegant ways to express the disparity and I apologize if it still isn't very clear. 

1 minute ago, Los_Pepes said:

I think you are correct if purchased separately. However think of it this way and understand that I am using round numbers here for clarity. If a no perks cabin is normally $1000pp, with a single supplement it would be $2000. That same cabin goes to $1500pp for an AI and with a single supplement it goes to $3000. The difference is $1000 for a single passenger traveling in a no perks cabin to one with AI. 

There are probably more elegant ways to express the disparity and I apologize if it still isn't very clear. 

No, I priced it out both AI and not AI and it was not that big of a difference.

2 minutes ago, Los_Pepes said:

For my scenario it was a couple of dollars shy of $1000. 

Correct. Now add in 1 classic beverage package, 1 basic wifi, and 1 prepaid gratuities. What’s the price difference now?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Los_Pepes said:

For my scenario it was a couple of dollars shy of $1000. 

IDK. I priced it as solo with and without and then as 2 with and without and it was not that for me. IDK what to tell you.

But still, pricing them separately (leaving off the WiFi) it literally came out vitrually the same as the AI cost difference. So I think part of the difference is actually the single supplement.

Then again, I like ease and not doing complicated math.

1 minute ago, RichYak said:

Correct. Now add in 1 classic beverage package, 1 basic wifi, and 1 prepaid gratuities. What’s the price difference now?

Buying AI is supposed to be cheaper than buying each component A la carte.

1 minute ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

IDK. I priced it as solo with and without and then as 2 with and without and it was not that for me. IDK what to tell you.

But still, pricing them separately (leaving off the WiFi) it literally came out vitrually the same as the AI cost difference. So I think part of the difference is actually the single supplement.

Then again, I like ease and not doing complicated math.

I just repriced it on my exact sailing for a solo pax in an ocean view.

image.png.d6b284ddd59fa0060edd3b7daac458d2.png