What do I need to remember to tell my first time cruiser friend?

tensixmom

I have a short 3 day girl's trip on Radiance coming up in about a month.  I am probably the most experienced cruiser out of the four of us, and one of my friends has never cruised before at all.

What do I need to remember to tell her (and the others) before we go? I know the way *I* like to cruise (almost never eat in the MDR, I am more of a 'sit and people watch' rather than 'get out there and dance'), but I want to make sure they have the most fun we can squeeze into 3 days.  We do plan to get Cheers, but we do NOT plan to do any specialty dining.  

What do you think I need to make sure to tell them?

"What happens on the ship stays on the ship"

4 minutes ago, bluetardis said:

I would say pack light and remember to drink water in between the alcoholic drinks. My first cruise I packed way too much and sat in the sun drinking mud slides..really got sick.

They picked the right name for that drink, that's all I will say about it...🥴

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

For seadays, I learned on my second cruise MDR was much better than Lido.  That was 9 years ago.  I only cruised a second time because my daughter begged me.  I wasn't planning on cruising ever again after enduring Lido breakfast buffet food.  Fast forward, nowadays you also run the risk of BACATION DAYS!  THE HORROR!  The workaround is easy, chill in a relaxed, seaview table with bacon instead of fuming over no bacon on Lido because even on those dreaded bacation days you can get bacon in MDR.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

BIG ONE - A 3-Day cruise is NOTHING like a 7 Day+ cruise.

This.

Our first cruise was a 4 day out of LA, old Carnival ship.  We had a good time as we had extended family along but it wasn't something I thought I ever needed to do again.  I did want to take our son on a Disney cruise though, and in those days you had to fly to Florida, so we went with the 7 day Magic.  Blew me away and since that cruise it is rare that we don't have at least one booked.  Granted the Disney Magic was and is a beautiful ship, but I think we'd have had the same reaction had we sailed a 7 day on any newer ship.  My SIL was talking about trying a cruise, just a 3 or 4 day to see if she'd like it and I told her a 3 or 4 day is not going to give a true picture.  Will it be fun, yes, but a different fun.  

Tell them to enjoy each moment.  I cried the first time (and still get misty-eyed) I saw the ship and started the embarkation process.  Sailing will always be such a pleasurable experience and vacation for us.

Even though you do not eat in the MDR, I would highly suggest you and your friends eat there at least once - breakfast and then dinner - so they can experience it.  We only eat in the MDR and enjoy the experience.  For us, that is a huge part of our sailing experience.   

On a 3-day, they can't do it all.  So, be sure to upload the HUB so they can plan their time wisely.  

Again, remind them to enjoy the cruise and warn them that cruising can be very addicting - it sure has for us!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DPTexas said:

Tell them to enjoy each moment.  I cried the first time (and still get misty-eyed) I saw the ship and started the embarkation process.  Sailing will always be such a pleasurable experience and vacation for us.

Even though you do not eat in the MDR, I would highly suggest you and your friends eat there at least once - breakfast and then dinner - so they can experience it.  We only eat in the MDR and enjoy the experience.  For us, that is a huge part of our sailing experience.   

On a 3-day, they can't do it all.  So, be sure to upload the HUB so they can plan their time wisely.  

Again, remind them to enjoy the cruise and warn them that cruising can be very addicting - it sure has for us!

Had to edit my post a bit b/c we also usually book the Chef's Table each cruise - if it's available, so that's 1-night not eating in the MDR.  Although, I am not sure a 3-day offers much time to do any specialty dining, it can be done.   

So here's one thing to remember. The 3 day Radiance is a short 'winter' trip to Ensenada. They need to be careful not to be dreaming about Caribbean beaches, warmth and sunshine.  You know how EVERY college recruitment brochure shows campus with the gorgeous fall leaves on a perfectly sunny day with 'beautiful' students that are all smiling? Tell them that.

The one thing I would say is to do whatever they want to do. Some groups of friends all enjoy doing the same things all the time, others have very different interests. Just because you are traveling together doesn't mean you all need to do the same thing at all times. Do whatever they enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, resetjet said:

Dont touch the railings!!!!! wash hands often.  Stay out of hot tub.........

How about ALWAYS touch the railings, instead?  "One hand for yourself and one for the ship".  The railings are there for a reason - especially since it's her first cruise and she may not be used to walking on a moving ship.

• Like 3

That when cruising - Things happen.  

Ports can and do change/cancel.

Weather can't be controlled - you just have to roll with it.

Patience!!!

But mostly - Have fun.

Also...Tell them not to go on a cruise unless they are ready to get hooked on cruising.  

I love cruising!!

Thank you everyone.  We are from Arizona so we are not concerned about warm weather.. we will go with the flow and have a good time!  Radiance wasn't my favorite ship but it has an Alchemy Bar so really, I can't complain!

We are good with just DL's right?  I always bring my passport but I am not sure the other ladies all happen to have one at the moment.

18 minutes ago, tensixmom said:

Thank you everyone.  We are from Arizona so we are not concerned about warm weather.. we will go with the flow and have a good time!  Radiance wasn't my favorite ship but it has an Alchemy Bar so really, I can't complain!

We are good with just DL's right?  I always bring my passport but I am not sure the other ladies all happen to have one at the moment.

If you plan to travel with a DL, always have a birth certificate to back it up.  And tell your first time cruising friends that a passport is always the safer option 😉

• Like 2

The first thing to remember is to have fun.  The second thing is to remember the first thing. 

My wife always enjoys the MDR, the wait staff always provided her excellent service and made her feel special, she also enjoyed the singing and dancing waiters. That's a personal choice.

I believe you need a birth certificate if you are using a DL.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tensixmom said:

Here is the information regarding travel documents from the Carnival website:

For cruises that begin and end in a U.S port, the following WHTI-Compliant Documents are acceptable for cruise travel. These standard forms of documentation will enable the Department of Homeland Security to quickly and reliably identify a traveler. If a picture I.D. is not affixed to the WHTI-compliant document, a picture I.D. is required (a valid, unexpired government-issued photo I.D. for all guests 16 years of age or older). If the cruise includes air travel to or from Canada, a valid, unexpired U.S. passport is required.

• U.S. Passport
  • Passport Card
  • State Enhanced Driver's License
  • Certificate of U.S. Naturalization
  • Native American Indians

For cruises that visit Martinique, guests going ashore are required to carry a valid, unexpired passport. .  

Also acceptable for cruise travel (for cruises that begin and end in a U.S port), U.S. citizens can show proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate  issued by a government agency and accompanied by government-issued photo identification. If the cruise includes air travel to or from Canada, a valid, unexpired U.S. passport is required. Guests who have committed or been convicted of a crime may not be allowed into Canada - for more information, 

• Like 1

If you guys are wine/soda drinkers, be sure to take advantage of the BYOB (1 bottle of wine + 12 pack of cans). Was able to save a lot of money on my latest short cruise. Also, tell them to wander and explore the ship at their own leisure the first day. It'll be good to find the little areas that you'll want to hang out in and get a chance to at least see all of the ship and what it has to offer.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2022 at 11:11 PM, CajunOyster said:

How about ALWAYS touch the railings, instead?  "One hand for yourself and one for the ship".  The railings are there for a reason - especially since it's her first cruise and she may not be used to walking on a moving ship.

THIS.  If the ship is a rockin', please use the railings...and sanitize afterwards if you feel it necessary.   

13 hours ago, CajunOyster said:

If you plan to travel with a DL, always have a birth certificate to back it up.  And tell your first time cruising friends that a passport is always the safer option 😉

Umm, a BC is not just a good idea to "back it up"....it's the law, if you're cruising using a driver's license.   Must be the original or a certified copy.  

For the OP, remind your friend NOT to pack their travel documents, boarding pass, etc. in their checked luggage, or their wonderful vacation will come to a very abrupt and sad end.  It must be with you when you go through the security checkpoint.    

• Like 1