Amsterdam Hotel - 4-5* hotel, but which area to go?

ian441672

Hi - We have an Icelandic cruise this August and are looking to arrive 3 nights early (from UK) to see the sights and sounds of somewhere we haven't been before.

I understand the airport, city centre and cruise terminal are relatively near each other (half hour or so) so we don't mind getting taxi's between, but we like a mix of hustle and bustle of a city vibe (nice shops, city landmarks, restaurants, cafe's etc.), plus the scenic side of things too (canals obviously, cobbled side streets and café culture, plus anything else).

We are looking for a 4 - 5* hotel in a decent location not too far from either of the above (if that is possible!), though we don't mind a walk either - can anyone recommend an area to stay in along with a good hotel for what we would like? Plus any recommendations of areas to visit, or any other tips?

Thank you.

Apart from Banks Mansion, also check Doubletree near Centraal Station, or hotels like Barbizon Palace, also close to Centraal Station or  The W Hotel near the royal Palace. 

• Like 1

If you look at a map of Amsterdam, you will see an area shaped like a horseshoe or letter U. That’s the Canal Zone and that’s where the main sights and museums are located. So if you want to stay near the hustle and bustle of the city, you should pick a hotel in that area or directly south of it, near the Vondelpark or Museumplein. 

We looked at Banks and had amazing reviews, but they only had a 'cozy' canal view room and we prefer a bit more space - the suite was a bit too much! 

I came across the Ambassade hotel, directly overlooking one of the smaller canals and seemingly near the sidewalks, canals, shops and cafes and not too far from Dam square and other attractions. I am drawn to a smaller hotel away from the main city (where we would normally stay) for something just outside the main drag and this seemed ideal - really good reviews, on top of a canal, good brasserie restaurant and good location, in a unique style hotel.

If anyone has stayed here or knows of it, please let me know your thoughts, but it looks like we might have found our hotel!

Thank you again for your suggestions and ideas.

We stayed at the Ambassade in 2018. Very nice hotel and location. Lots to do near the hotel and there is a tram stop within walking distance. We did a cab from the airport and to the port.  Either walked or used the tram to get around otherwise. The windows are not very sound proof so had some noise. Would stay there again.

The tram goes directly to Centrale Station which made it easy to do a trip to Zannes Schans on the train to see the windmills. Worth a trip.

11 hours ago, rdt10 said:

We stayed at the Ambassade in 2018. Very nice hotel and location. Lots to do near the hotel and there is a tram stop within walking distance. We did a cab from the airport and to the port.  Either walked or used the tram to get around otherwise. The windows are not very sound proof so had some noise. Would stay there again.

The tram goes directly to Centrale Station which made it easy to do a trip to Zannes Schans on the train to see the windmills. Worth a trip.

Thanks, that is helpful. We have booked and they have been in contact already offering various options, so it seems very efficient and it does look a lovely hotel with a great location. Thanks for the tip around the windmills too, that is something we wanted to do!

The Ambassade Hotel is a great hotel and I would definitely recommend you to stay there. But you should know that it’s located very much right inside the main city and definitely not outside the main drag. 
Please understand that I’m not discouraging you to stay there, but since you mentioned you wanted to stay outside the main city and the main drag, I just wanted to let you know that this hotel is right in the heart of Amsterdam. It’s located on one of the main canals of Amsterdam in the very popular “9 streets area”. 

16 hours ago, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

The Ambassade Hotel is a great hotel and I would definitely recommend you to stay there. But you should know that it’s located very much right inside the main city and definitely not outside the main drag. 
Please understand that I’m not discouraging you to stay there, but since you mentioned you wanted to stay outside the main city and the main drag, I just wanted to let you know that this hotel is right in the heart of Amsterdam. It’s located on one of the main canals of Amsterdam in the very popular “9 streets area”. 

Thanks for that, I appreciate the information - I think the location seems in a quieter area of the city. I meant I didn't want anything right in a main street or busy thoroughfare with only buildings or a city view to look at, but with a scenic and 'local' feel and think this hotel does that, and a reasonable distance from other city highlights and 9 streets area. Thank you again, I am looking forward to staying there!

1 hour ago, ian441672 said:

- I think the location seems in a quieter area of the city.

You will understand when you get here, but the location of the Ambassade Hotel is not in a quieter area of the city. The hotel is located on the Herengracht right in the middle of the very popular and therefore very busy 9 Streets area.
The Herengracht also is not a small canal, it’s in fact one of the larger ones. In the 17th century the Herengracht was considered to be the most prestigious canal. At that time, everyone who was something or pretended to be something, wanted to have a house on that canal, particularly in the specific stretch called “The Golden Bend”. 

The merchants of that time built sprawling homes along the Herengracht, which is why in present times every canal cruise sails thru the Herengracht. 
Again, nothing wrong with the Ambassade Hotel, but if you’re looking for a quiet area this is not the place to be.

If you do want stay in a more quiet area with a more local feel, you can look into an area called Oud-Zuid (Old South). This is the area around the Vondelpark and south of the Concertgebouw. For instance in the Conservatorium Hotel or the Bilderberg Garden Hotel. 

Edited by Dutch_Travelgirl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

You will understand when you get here, but the location of the Ambassade Hotel is not in a quieter area of the city. The hotel is located on the Herengracht right in the middle of the very popular and therefore very busy 9 Streets area.
The Herengracht also is not a small canal, it’s in fact one of the larger ones. In the 17th century the Herengracht was considered to be the most prestigious canal. At that time, everyone who was something or pretended to be something, wanted to have a house on that canal, particularly in the specific stretch called “The Golden Bend”. 

The merchants of that time built sprawling homes along the Herengracht, which is why in present times every canal cruise sails thru the Herengracht. 
Again, nothing wrong with the Ambassade Hotel, but if you’re looking for a quiet area this is not the place to be.

If you do want stay in a more quiet area with a more local feel, you can look into an area called Oud-Zuid (Old South). This is the area around the Vondelpark and south of the Concertgebouw. For instance in the Conservatorium Hotel or the Bilderberg Garden Hotel. 

Hi - thanks for your reply and I understand all of what you say, it is very helpful! Bearing in mind everything I will still book this hotel as overall I think it will suit our needs very well. We don't mind a bit of noise, atmosphere and hustle & bustle, so this sounds perfect!  Thanks again for your help and observations.

After much scrutiny and hemming and hawing, looking for a hotel in Amsterdam where I don’t have to sell my first born, LOL…I have three hotels on reserve….I’ve reserved a single room at Pension Homeland, Koopermoolen and Prins Hendrick.  One person wasn’t happy with the tiny room at Koopermoolen; it’s inside the red light district so I’d be worried about noise at night.  The reviews for Pension Homeland were average. I think Prins Hendrick is what I’m leaning towards as far as location, walk ability to the Tulip Museum, flower market,  shopping, the Dam Square, and a few other places.  The reservation is for the end of August.

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on one of these places. I’m just looking for a decent room, nothing fancy but bigger than a large closet. Hopefully it has a window and is clean. I usually book a double room, but these prices are wow!  The Grand Prix must be driving the prices up. 
Thank you for any insight into the choices..😊

I too would pick the hotel Prins Hendrik. It seems to have good reviews and is in a good location. 

You state you want to be close to the tulip museum and the flower market. Please be aware that these, along with the cheese museum, are considered to be the biggest tourist traps in Amsterdam.
The tulip museum isn’t a museum, it’s a tourist shop disguised as a museum selling yesteryears flower bulbs that won’t come out. The same goes for the flower market, which in addition to mouldy flower bulbs also sells tacky souvenirs and overpriced flowers. On the other hand, entrance to both is free so a visit can’t do any real harm I guess. As long as you don’t buy any flower bulbs!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

I too would pick the hotel Prins Hendrik. It seems to have good reviews and is in a good location. 

You state you want to be close to the tulip museum and the flower market. Please be aware that these, along with the cheese museum, are considered to be the biggest tourist traps in Amsterdam.
The tulip museum isn’t a museum, it’s a tourist shop disguised as a museum selling yesteryears flower bulbs that won’t come out. The same goes for the flower market, which in addition to mouldy flower bulbs also sells tacky souvenirs and overpriced flowers. On the other hand, entrance to both is free so a visit can’t do any real harm I guess. As long as you don’t buy any flower bulbs!

Thank you Dutch Travelgirl. I respect your opinion. I will cancel my reservations at the other two hotels.  Thank you very much for the museum tip and flower market tip. I was interested in bringing some bulbs back to Canada. I can bring back 6 bulbs without a licence. Is there anywhere that you can recommend a person buy healthy bulbs?  That’s also too bad about the flowers..hopefully I can buy some flowers somewhere.  As you say, the entrance fees are reasonable, LOL, so I’ll take a look anyway.   No buying!!  Thank you again for responding! 😊

Since flowers have been mentioned, is it worth visiting the Flower Auction in Aalsmeer in late June?  I know it will be open, but wondering if it’s really a seasonal thing or whether this would be a good time of year. 

Thank you! 

2 hours ago, ladysail2 said:

Thank you Dutch Travelgirl. I respect your opinion. I will cancel my reservations at the other two hotels.  Thank you very much for the museum tip and flower market tip. I was interested in bringing some bulbs back to Canada. I can bring back 6 bulbs without a licence. Is there anywhere that you can recommend a person buy healthy bulbs?  That’s also too bad about the flowers..hopefully I can buy some flowers somewhere.  As you say, the entrance fees are reasonable, LOL, so I’ll take a look anyway.   No buying!!  Thank you again for responding! 😊

I ordered bulbs when I was a Keukenhof to be sent to my sister in the US. (They also ship to Canada although it costs more; I presume because there are more hoops to go through in order to ship them to us in Canada.) The shipments happen in the fall, which is when you want the bulbs to be planted.

Don't miss a trip to Zaans Schans and a canal cruise.  Everyone says Amsterdam is a walking city but the cobblestones played havoc with my feet/knees so we were more than happy to buy  a transit pass.  Reasonably priced and convenient.

2 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I ordered bulbs when I was a Keukenhof to be sent to my sister in the US. (They also ship to Canada although it costs more; I presume because there are more hoops to go through in order to ship them to us in Canada.) The shipments happen in the fall, which is when you want the bulbs to be planted.

The Keukenhof closes in May and I won’t be in Holland until August, so that idea won’t work.  Thanks anyway.

2 hours ago, Senga said:

Don't miss a trip to Zaans Schans and a canal cruise.  Everyone says Amsterdam is a walking city but the cobblestones played havoc with my feet/knees so we were more than happy to buy  a transit pass.  Reasonably priced and convenient.

Last time in Holland, I went to Kinderdijk, which was very interesting.  I also did a canal cruise and will do that again this time.  There are so many to choose from….😊

Tulip bulbs are seasonal products. The tulips in the flower fields bloom in the second half of April. In the first week of May, the flowers are cut off. This is done to ensure that the tulip plant uses all its energy to produce a strong bulb, instead of using it to maintain the flower. The bulbs are harvested in July/August. They will then need to be sorted, cleaned, dried, packaged etc etc and send to shops. That’s why fresh this year’s tulip bulbs won’t arrive in the shops until September/October. They will need to be put in the ground in October or November, mid-December at the very latest. 
This is why reputable shops won’t have any tulip bulbs for sale from mid-December until mid September/early October. 

https://dutchreview.com/news/nearly-all-tulip-bulbs-are-duds-at-the-amsterdam-flower-market/

Edited by Dutch_Travelgirl

That’s really good information Dutch_Travelgirl.  I wasn’t aware of the process. Tulip bulbs start appearing in my stores towards the end of August….so maybe that means that they are year-old bulbs!  I guess I will be too early to buy 2023 bulbs.   Canada receives many thousand bulbs from the Netherlands every year in appreciation of our help during the war. I live in Canada’s capital and can enjoy those thousands of really nice tulips  planted in beds around the city.  Thank you for your information. 😊