Bathing Suit in the Buffet?

holech

On 1/3/2023 at 2:56 PM, Jim Avery said:

Love "budgie snugglers"..    Hey,, Clay, I will wear my budgie snugglers if you wear yours.....😱

It's sMugglers, not sNugglers. Budgie snuggling should definitely not be done in public😁

• Haha 2

Bathrobes are generally considered alongside nightwear, for use in private places, such as when visiting not en suite facilities when staying with friends.

If in a hotel or equivilent a dressing gown is the minimum requirement for the same purpose

During daytime or evening nightwear in public is not seemly

There was a man wearing his robe, no shirt underneath, at breakfast this morning  🙄. And another man came into the World Cafe at lunch and put his shirt on once inside the restaurant instead of putting it on by the pool and then walking in. 
Where do people learn these types of manners. 😬 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, H2Otstr said:

There was a man wearing his robe, no shirt underneath, at breakfast this morning  🙄. And another man came into the World Cafe at lunch and put his shirt on once inside the restaurant instead of putting it on by the pool and then walking in. 

You can dress them up but you can't take them out! 😁

I've also heard it said:  New money seldom comes with new manners! 

4 hours ago, H2Otstr said:

Viking is moving down-market to fill it’s ever expanding fleet.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2023 at 10:56 AM, H2Otstr said:

On a  Viking cruise this past summer, we were in Mamsen's having coffee, orange juice, and toast/oatmeal.  A woman came into Mamsen's in her bathrobe with her hair, obviously washed, done up in a towel, and wearing flip flops.  Don't know if there was anything on underneath.  🙂    

She proceeded to order, sit down, and have breakfast, despite the looks of astonishment everyone gave her!   I guess all types of people come on Viking these days.  I suppose she didn't like having room service.

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Haha 2

On 1/11/2023 at 10:56 AM, H2Otstr said:

I don't know, but maybe they un-learned the manners they used to have. My mom (79) used to be a very polite person, and raised her kids to be polite. She now thinks it's perfectly acceptable to leave her shopping cart in the middle of an aisle, or in the middle of the parking lot. She will continue trying to have a conversation with a cashier after receiving her receipt and bag, takes out her cell phone and plays with it during performances (my kids stopped inviting her to theirs). If my brothers and I had even thought about engaging in the sort of behaviors she now thinks are okay when we were growing up, we'd have been grounded for weeks. 

• Like 2

Why push the lower limit?  Why not just pop up and change, then go eat?  Or eat in the pool area's snack bar if it exists?

While the style of bathing suit isn't specified, there's a big difference between board shorts and bun-hugger speedos...so if a "bathing suit" is OK in the buffet, regardless of what it does or doesn't hide, maybe a shirt is unnecessary, and of course who needs shoes in the pool.

And if you go by what the "others" are doing, you're going by the lowest common denominator, so that one potbellied guy having lunch in a speedo and his similarly-shaped wife in her string bikini, who are making everyone gag, make it OK for others too?

Why not just up the standard a bit, or at least keep it relatively even, so the cruise has some class instead of looking like a cheap booze cruise?  Or else just just take a cheap booze cruise.  Nothing fancy needed, but just changing out of a swimming suit if you're not around the pool shouldn't be much of a sacrifice...and instead of having some people offended and the other half joining you in their speedos/strings, everyone will be happy. 8^)

Consideration and thoughtfulness goes a long way in this world of "ME".

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 1/12/2023 at 6:51 PM, MamaFej said:

I don't know, but maybe they un-learned the manners they used to have. My mom (79) used to be a very polite person, and raised her kids to be polite. She now thinks it's perfectly acceptable to leave her shopping cart in the middle of an aisle, or in the middle of the parking lot. She will continue trying to have a conversation with a cashier after receiving her receipt and bag, takes out her cell phone and plays with it during performances (my kids stopped inviting her to theirs). If my brothers and I had even thought about engaging in the sort of behaviors she now thinks are okay when we were growing up, we'd have been grounded for weeks. 

I can relate to this completely. My dad seemed to unlearn not only his manners but his use of grammatically correct English as well when he got older, despite the fact that he insisted on both when I was young.

As for the bathing suits and robes in dining areas...just don't...please...just don't. Thank you.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, L11 said:

I can relate to this completely. My dad seemed to unlearn not only his manners but his use of grammatically correct English as well when he got older, despite the fact that he insisted on both when I was young.

As for the bathing suits and robes in dining areas...just don't...please...just don't. Thank you.

I paid good money for this cruise and I’ll wear what I darn well please!!
😉😎

• Haha 1

It’s really quite simple:  Get dressed for meals.  No pjs and bathrobes at breakfast, no exposed chests and bathing suits at lunch.

We really like spiffing up a bit for dinner when we’re dining in a nice restaurant, so that’s what we do in The Restaurant, Chef’s Table, and Manfredi’s.  On our Viking cruises a few years ago, that seemed to be commonplace.  On our one cruise post-Covid, not so much. We saw lots of men wearing baggy chinos or cargo pants and athletic shoes, the same attire they wore all day while touring.

I think Viking’s dress code for dinner would be much improved if it specified “real” shoes instead of sneakers.  When you put on a pair of nice shoes, cargo pants look out of place.  Switch them out for a nice pair khakis or trousers, and voila!  You’re ready for your dinner date!  

• Like 4

On 1/11/2023 at 1:56 PM, H2Otstr said:

Gross

On 1/12/2023 at 6:20 PM, CCWineLover said:

On a  Viking cruise this past summer, we were in Mamsen's having coffee, orange juice, and toast/oatmeal.  A woman came into Mamsen's in her bathrobe with her hair, obviously washed, done up in a towel, and wearing flip flops.  Don't know if there was anything on underneath.  🙂    

She proceeded to order, sit down, and have breakfast, despite the looks of astonishment everyone gave her!   I guess all types of people come on Viking these days.  I suppose she didn't like having room service.

Again, gross

It's SO easy to pack and dress appropriately for the Restaurant and other restaurants on Viking.  I bring along several light-weight black or navy pants (made out of some fake silk material), a few knit tops and some scarves to mix and match.  Voila!  Takes almost no space in my suitcase and easy to change into before dinner. Now, my husband...that's another story 😉

• Like 1