Anyone Currently on Explorer?

Trunkabella

7 minutes ago, irishwitchy said:

I just hope they send enough supplies to Auckland to stock the ship

It would need to be local provisioning as nothings going to reach Auckland from elsewhere for re-provisioning on such short notice. So guests might see some non standard brands (maybe)

Regent bears the responsibility for this problem; Viking, too. They've known about NZ and Aussie rules on Biofoul for some time, and could have anticipated the problem. Since passengers have no control over how or when to deal with the issue, they should not be made to "share" the expense. In my experience there are few passengers who travel from home just for the "hotel" experience. Cruise passengers expect that an occasional port will be missed due to inclement weather or other issues beyond the ship's control, and when that's happened on cruises we've been on, there was some disappointment, as one might expect, but passengers understood the problem and we all went on with our day at sea.

Biofoul and the Aussie and NZ rules are not beyond the ship's control. Missing multiple (or more!) ports because the ship didn't meet the ports' standards is unacceptable and Regent (Viking, too) should step up, refund the passengers' fares as they would almost certainly do if they had failed to reserve a berth, failed to pay taxes or other fees or otherwise failed to make the necessary arrangements (or to comply with local laws) to stop at a planned port.  Cruise lines need to figure out how to comply with the rules or drop Australia & New Zealand from their itineraries. Passengers should not suffer because cruise lines fail to adequately prepare.

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, Queasy_Cruiser said:

Regent bears the responsibility for this problem; Viking, too. They've known about NZ and Aussie rules on Biofoul for some time, and could have anticipated the problem. Since passengers have no control over how or when to deal with the issue, they should not be made to "share" the expense. In my experience there are few passengers who travel from home just for the "hotel" experience. Cruise passengers expect that an occasional port will be missed due to inclement weather or other issues beyond the ship's control, and when that's happened on cruises we've been on, there was some disappointment, as one might expect, but passengers understood the problem and we all went on with our day at sea.

Biofoul and the Aussie and NZ rules are not beyond the ship's control. Missing multiple (or more!) ports because the ship didn't meet the ports' standards is unacceptable and Regent (Viking, too) should step up, refund the passengers' fares as they would almost certainly do if they had failed to reserve a berth, failed to pay taxes or other fees or otherwise failed to make the necessary arrangements (or to comply with local laws) to stop at a planned port.  Cruise lines need to figure out how to comply with the rules or drop Australia & New Zealand from their itineraries. Passengers should not suffer because cruise lines fail to adequately prepare.

Clearly, this wasn't a well known factor enough in advance for multiple cruise lines to completely fail the process.   Seems the government types don't really care about the many people in the tourism industry.  That industry in NZ  has lost enormous revenue in the last 3 years.  Not sure what the driving factor is behind this late to the program initiative is but it definitely has politics written all over it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Queasy_Cruiser said:

Since passengers have no control over how or when to deal with the issue, they should not be made to "share" the expense.

Seems since a 50% refund and 50% FCC is being offered, passengers AREN'T "sharing" the expense. 

9 hours ago, Queasy_Cruiser said:

Biofoul and the Aussie and NZ rules are not beyond the ship's control.

Likely you are correct, but we don't really know, do we?  Princess and Viking also got caught by this. I read an article that this has only happened 6% of the time since around 2014 or so.  That means that cruise ships have successfully sailed Australia and New Zealand 94% of the time.   How do you "prepare" for an event that has only a 6% chance of happening?  Lots of speculation here and on other sites.   Before we nail Regent management to the cross, maybe we should wait until the real details are issued.  Bet this doesn't happen again. 

• Like 1

Very disappointing for those currently on Explorer, but not sure that Regent can do much more to alleviate the situation or recompense guests.

These regulations and their application to will undoubtedly adversely affect the future itineraries and the costs of future cruises intending to visit ports in NZ and Aus.

How is the shipping industry as a whole handling this issue? What cleaning regime do all the general cargo and container ships visiting the area have to undergo?

44 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

Very disappointing for those currently on Explorer, but not sure that Regent can do much more to alleviate the situation or recompense guests.

These regulations and their application to will undoubtedly adversely affect the future itineraries and the costs of future cruises intending to visit ports in NZ and Aus.

How is the shipping industry as a whole handling this issue? What cleaning regime do all the general cargo and container ships visiting the area have to undergo?

I think the regulations apply to certain ports and areas like the fjords which probably don't get any international cargo.  The cruise ships will just plan on a pre cleaning day at a port that doesn't have the conditions on it and perhaps do an overnight there.

8 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Seems since a 50% refund and 50% FCC is being offered, passengers AREN'T "sharing" the expense. 

Likely you are correct, but we don't really know, do we?  Princess and Viking also got caught by this. I read an article that this has only happened 6% of the time since around 2014 or so.  That means that cruise ships have successfully sailed Australia and New Zealand 94% of the time.   How do you "prepare" for an event that has only a 6% chance of happening?  Lots of speculation here and on other sites.   Before we nail Regent management to the cross, maybe we should wait until the real details are issued.  Bet this doesn't happen again. 

Azamara Quest has also joined this debacle as her sailing from Melbourne on 4th has had first two ports axed due hull cleaning, one was Milford Sound. 

• Like 1

Did the captain say how long the cleaning would take?  Explorer must have 75000 SF of hull underwater.  They say a diver can clean 2200-4400 SF per hour somewhere between 17 and 34 man hours depending on the fouling if I'm doing my math correctly.  Not sure how big the crew doing the work is.  Does anyone know how long the coral princess and Viking Orion took ?    

13 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

Did the captain say how long the cleaning would take?  Explorer must have 75000 SF of hull underwater.  They say a diver can clean 2200-4400 SF per hour somewhere between 17 and 34 man hours depending on the fouling if I'm doing my math correctly.  Not sure how big the crew doing the work is.  Does anyone know how long the coral princess and Viking Orion took ?    

2 days for Explorer...1/5 and 1/6.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Once clean does anyone know about how long (varies obviously) before it needs to be cleaned again?

I read from another site that the cleaning gives a period of 30 days validity after which it needs to be done again if the ship wants to continue to sail on the area in question. 

• Thanks 1

I heard from a Regent Sales person that the rules for cleaning were changed back in June. The contractor that was to be used has not come up to scratch and not been certified by New Zealand, so sounds more to do with NZ than Regent.

Having said that I would go in a heartbeat, wonderful country and very friendly people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regent is offering passengers a 100% refund of the cruise only fare.  Exact amounts are still being tabulated. 
About 130+ passengers permanently disembarked Seven Seas Explorer when it docked in Adelaide Jan 4th.  They had to make their own travel arraignments and pay for their trips home.  The rest of us are continuing on.  The ship’s crew has been fantastic. I feel sorry for them because they get no days off.  Full service all the time.

The ship is scheduled to go offshore from Adelaide, and rendezvous with a cleaning vessel for 24-hours and then proceed directly to Auckland, arriving Jan 12th.  At least that’s what we’ve been told.

I wish Regent was more transparent about how this all happened.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lonestar101 said:

Regent is offering passengers a 100% refund of the cruise only fare.   They had to make their own travel arraignments and pay for their trips home.  The rest of us are continuing on.  The ship’s crew has been fantastic. I feel sorry for them because they get no days off.  Full service all the time.

At least they had the option to get off.  I probably would if I didn't have time to come back again.  I would book a flight to Auckland from Adelaide and tour NZ on land and then catch may return home from Auckland that was already booked.  For the price of the cruise, I'm sure they can live like royalty in NZ.  For those on board and with time perhaps some can change their flights back and see new Zealand for an extra week.Or try to hope on the coral princess which also departs on Jan 12th out of auckland - not regent but might work if they have suites.

• Like 2

We have this schedule in our plans and are confident it will be sorted out by then.  They will just have to plan on a cleaning day(s) every month.  

Although it appears Regent did the right thing I greatly sympathize with the folks that spent all that money on air/travel insurance and time travelling/planning.  Its not apparent if its the countries or cruise lines fault but that a long way for a booze cruise.  I'd also get off the ship and try to salvage what I could.

Try to make the best of it.

Edited by RetiredandTravel

6 hours ago, Qld13 said:

I heard from a Regent Sales person that the rules for cleaning were changed back in June. The contractor that was to be used has not come up to scratch and not been certified by New Zealand

34 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Its not apparent if its the countries or cruise lines fault

All academic now but it sounds like someone (NCLH procurement?) dropped the ball in their initial choice of cleaning contractor.

Good to hear that guests will receive a refund of the cruise fare.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

All academic now but it sounds like someone (NCLH procurement?) dropped the ball in their initial choice of cleaning contractor.

Good to hear that guests will receive a refund of the cruise fare.

Ahh thanks I missed that

I do find it surprising (sort of) that a few other cruise lines made the same mistake but we'll go with it.

Well it is Thursday afternoon, Jan 5, and the Explorer is idling outside of Adelaide.  Latest is that the preliminary evaluation done yesterday is being reviewed. We are waiting for directions on where to go for the divers to clean the hull.  Problem is we have 20-25 knot winds and 4-6 ft swells. This could be a problem for divers to do their job. 

On the compensation side, Regent is offering a full refund of the cruise only part of the trip.  It will be in FCC and/or cash, depending how the cruise was paid for.  Refund in FCC for the part paid for in FCC, cash for the part paid for in cash.

So we are still at sea just floating around.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mrstanley said:

Is this cleaning issue going to effect upcoming cruises this month in Australia and NZ? 

Hopefully no.  However, the sea conditions are rough at the moment, which might delay the start of the hull cleaning operation by the divers.  If the cleaning doesn't progress on schedule, Explorer might be delayed arriving into Auckland on 12 January. Will just have to wait and see how things go there today (Friday, 6 January).

• Like 1