Hawaii from San Diego

jenp123

I am looking at doing the 18 day cruise to Hawaii that leaves diego Jan 31.

I am curious what day the weather turns "warm".  I understand that it is weather/system dependent but I am curious how many sea days in do you get more "Hawaii weather" as opposed to "San Diego weather".  Just wondering if a few sea days will be potentially good for suntanning.

It depends on where you are coming from. I did it in November a few years ago, and came from Minnesota, so I was enjoying the warmth the minute I landed in San Diego.  Others who were coming from California felt that it took til day 3-4 after departure before they started feeling warmer than the California temps.

After the time in Hawaii, it only felt warm for the first day or two and after that was starting to feel "cool" to most people.

• Like 5

On 1/3/2023 at 6:12 AM, jenp123 said:

I am curious what day the weather turns "warm".  I understand that it is weather/system dependent but I am curious how many sea days in do you get more "Hawaii weather" as opposed to "San Diego weather".  Just wondering if a few sea days will be potentially good for suntanning.

The three times we've done it was in the fall. Being from San Diego, I remember the first sea day being warm enough for swimsuits. I love that moist tropical breeze. 

I'm hoping you are talking about January 2024. This year the weather has been unusual, and I think it's going to be a bit before it changes. You should probably check a better source if you're thinking about this year.

This will be our firstSan Diego to Hawaii, but have done the L.A. to Hawaii several times.  Each was different, but on average, one day before reaching the islands was when the weather was warm.  This year it's anybody's guess.

On 1/3/2023 at 6:12 AM, jenp123 said:

======

My experience is that half way to Hawaii the weather changes from breezy and cold to warm (not hot).

Peter

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rljan said:

This will be our firstSan Diego to Hawaii, but have done the L.A. to Hawaii several times.  Each was different, but on average, one day before reaching the islands was when the weather was warm.  This year it's anybody's guess.

This is what we experienced out of San Diego in January.

We sailed to Hawaii on the Oosterdam in October and had a balcony.  We really didn't use it as much as we thought we would because of the cooler temps.  Sailing the Pacific is so different from the Atlantic Transatlantics.  Once we got closer to the islands it was warmer and then we used the balcony. If we were to go again, I'm not sure we would book a balcony.   Although we got such a good price as we booked 2 weeks out!

We've also done Hawaii many times from San Diego and a few from LA.  The weather has always gotten better as my get closer to Hawaii.  We've had pretty rough sea a few times the first day out of S.D.  

We'll be on the Koningsdam on the 31st - it's one of our favorite cruises.

Aloha!

• Like 1