Riedel Comparative Wine Crystal Workshop

kasowell2

10 hours ago, kasowell2 said:

Do you still get a set of glasses when doing this workshop? There’s no mention of it in the description on the website.

I took it years ago and we did not get anything from the workshop. BUT! It was amazing. The wine did taste different in each glass. And it was the same wine. They started by pouring Chardonnay into a "cheap" bar glass. You took a sip. Then you poured that wine into the next glass. So you knew it was the same wine you just tasted. But boy, did it taste different! Now I'm waiting for my current wine glasses to break so I can justify buying new Riedel ones!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

We did the workshop and got a coupon for glasses which we ordered when we got home.

@Mcgeneseo is absolutely correct! If I hadn't experienced it myself I would have never believed that wine would taste different in different glasses. It was totally unexpected! I'm a Riedel convert!

The workshop is highly recommended!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

We did the workshop and got a coupon for glasses which we ordered when we got home.

@Mcgeneseo is absolutely correct! If I hadn't experienced it myself I would have never believed that wine would taste different in different glasses. It was totally unexpected! I'm a Riedel convert!

The workshop is highly recommended!

I took the workshop many years ago.  The wine did not taste any different to me but I did want the Reidel glasses.  They were a box of 4 various sizes for different wines.  Would have cost me much more to purchase locally. 

• Thanks 1

We took the class in December 2021, on the Constellation.

We were disappointed that we were not given glasses to take away with us, but it was explained that many folk have had them break on their journey home - wouldn't have been an issue to us since we drove to the port.

We received the voucher for free glasses (4 glasses each), but had to pay for shipping.

Lovely glasses, but I'm not sure they were worth the shipping fee.

• Thanks 1

I did the class in November and was fascinated by the actual difference in taste! Although expensive, it seemed worth it since you received four free Riedel glasses. Once home, I was disappointed to learn that the “free” glasses cost me another $30 in shipping costs. And the class said 4 assorted glasses, but once you go to order, it has to be two sets of 2 glasses. 

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, ivanidea said:

We took the class in December 2021, on the Constellation.

We were disappointed that we were not given glasses to take away with us, but it was explained that many folk have had them break on their journey home - wouldn't have been an issue to us since we drove to the port.

We received the voucher for free glasses (4 glasses each), but had to pay for shipping.

Lovely glasses, but I'm not sure they were worth the shipping fee.

I brought mine on a flight from Fort Lauderdale to Canada kept on  the floor by my seat and no issues.  If I had to pay shipping I would not have taken the class 

• Thanks 1

There is no more free lunch, ladies and gentlemen...

That being said, 4 Riedel glasses for $30 shipping is a steal, regardless of type. If advertised as 4 separate glasses for 4 different types of wine and only receiving 2 pairs of 2 glasses, can try to negotiate/barter with site...but you still got 4 Riedel glasses for $30 shipping.

Yes, I have Riedel Sommelier glasses for Bordeaux and champagne that cost me the proverbial arm and leg, as well as other stemware for red wine.....but I almost always use wine glasses from a set my wife and I received as a wedding present, probably from Crate and Barrel, that do nicely.

• Thanks 1

I seemed to recall the tasting was $75 and we received a voucher to have them shipped home for free. (This was several years ago) I will say that I really enjoyed the class. I also enjoyed the glasses until they broke.  Even with hand washing, I managed to break 3 over the course of a year.  While they are nice, I can’t justify replacing them at that breakage rate.  They are very fragile so just be aware of what you’re getting. 

Edited by dcbiker97
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, padgman1 said:

That being said, 4 Riedel glasses for $30 shipping is a steal, regardless of type. If advertised as 4 separate glasses for 4 different types of wine and only receiving 2 pairs of 2 glasses, can try to negotiate/barter with site...but you still got 4 Riedel glasses for $30 shipping.

It wasn’t just the $30 for shipping…the class wasn’t FREE - the class itself costs almost $90.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Beachlover1989 said:

It wasn’t just the $30 for shipping…the class wasn’t FREE - the class itself costs almost $90.

So you are still ahead of the game, a good quality set of Riedel wine glasses coast $135 bucks, so you saved $15 and had a nice time

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mcgeneseo said:

I took it years ago and we did not get anything from the workshop. BUT! It was amazing. The wine did taste different in each glass. And it was the same wine. They started by pouring Chardonnay into a "cheap" bar glass. You took a sip. Then you poured that wine into the next glass. So you knew it was the same wine you just tasted. But boy, did it taste different! Now I'm waiting for my current wine glasses to break so I can justify buying new Riedel ones!

mc - no need to wait, just buy and do not open or use until you either break or give the old ones away!!!!

LOL, how quickly you will have justified using them... they are great..

Cheers and bon voyage

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beachlover1989 said:

I remember I took the class on the ship at the time shipping was $15 but being in Canada they said shipping was more don't remember exact price so I opted to bring with me took my chances and all was good. To buy that same tasting set today costs $180.  Back then class was $62 I think it was in 2014. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

I love my glasses......but yes, they are very delicate and must be hand washed

I rinse in hot water.  They say not to use dish detergent.  In 9 years I've only broken one.  I don't let guests use them, too nervous. 😆 

Edited by drakes2
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Beachlover1989 said:

And the class said 4 assorted glasses, but once you go to order, it has to be two sets of 2 glasses. 

I remember when I did the tasting class the glasses were delivered to your cabin on the last evening. 1 each of cabernet/merlot, Bordeaux, pinot noir and Chardonnay.  It was the Vinum set not the cheaper ones sold in many stores today. 

5 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I remember I took the class on the ship at the time shipping was $15 but being in Canada they said shipping was more don't remember exact price so I opted to bring with me took my chances and all was good. To buy that same tasting set today costs $180.  Back then class was $62 I think it was in 2014. 

Exactly!  I wasn't complaining at all and didn't need to be shamed.  I was just making sure people realized how much shipping was!

9 minutes ago, Beachlover1989 said:

Exactly!  I wasn't complaining at all and didn't need to be shamed.  I was just making sure people realized how much shipping was!

No one is shaming you. Why pay for shipping when no guarantee the item won't break. I just prefer to have full control of my own possessions.  I read of several cases where glasses were broken on arrival then you have to get replaced and wait another few weeks. Too much of a hassle. 

10 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

No one is shaming you. Why pay for shipping when no guarantee the item won't break. I just prefer to have full control of my own possessions.  I read of several cases where glasses were broken on arrival then you have to get replaced and wait another few weeks. Too much of a hassle. 

I wasn't referring to you ☺️

• Like 3

6 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I rinse in hot water.  They say not to use dish detergent.  In 9 years I've only broken one.  I don't let guests use them, too nervous. 😆 

You have done well.  We have broken quite a few, replaced them, and given up on them and used more durable stemware.

39 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Just of a note -- has anyone else noted that Riedel glasses are what they use in Luminae? 

There are other places on the ship that use them also.  I don't recall which venues on which ships,  but it is obvious by the thin glass.

1 minute ago, NMTraveller said:

There are other places on the ship that use them also.  I don't recall which venues on which ships,  but it is obvious by the thin glass.

Yes, I believe they were used in both Murano and Tuscan Grill.