Beyond Live Jan 8 to Jan 22

mperrizo

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

mperrizo was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Hello everyone! After being a longtime reader of reviews, I felt it was time to give it a try for our upcoming experience on the Celebrity Beyond January 8 to January 22 (B2B). I will try to make this a live review but not at the expense of our vacation. 

Before we set sail a little bit of background:

For DW and I this will be our first cruise on Celebrity and our first B2B we are normally RC cruisers and have reached Diamond Plus, we average two cruises a year. We are working professionals and live in Detroit, Michigan young 40’s. We travel extensively for work, so we are seasoned travelers. This is an adult’s cruise for us without our 16-year-old son for our 10-year wedding anniversary.

The cruise was booked just 5 days prior to the first leg of our B2B. These dates were originally supposed to be spent on a bucket list trip to the Galapagos, but the operator of that trip had to place the vessel in drydock for emergency repairs and canceled our sailing. Though there were other operators available including Celebrity we could not find an itinerary that matched what we had booked and decided to delay for a year or so.

Booking last minute, we were looking at two primary options a B2B on RC Odyssey of the Seas and this B2B on Beyond. We originally wanted to go on Odyssey, the prime reason we were leaning Royal was the itineraries available and our comfortability with the product and status in their loyalty program. One of the B2B legs sold out so before it happens on Celebrity Beyond we booked. The Beyond had several rooms available that would allow us to not move rooms during the B2B, though this meant not having a suite, balcony, or a verandah. We have discussed enquiring when we boarded if other options are available, but we all know how that will go so I am not sure that we will bother.

We have booked an ocean view on deck 3 just a little forward of midship on the port side category 07 with the all included package on celebrity. Shortly after booking we upgraded to the premium drink package as well as premium Wi-Fi for me as I will need to work a few days. Booking these packages via phone for the upgrade, we had to remind them about the Elite discount. We have a dinning plan booked for the second week of 5 specialty restaurants and will focus on the public dinning during the first week.

To get to FLL we will leave from BOS Saturday late afternoon with a connection in ATL, due to work commitments we needed to leave out of BOS instead of DTW. We have a pre night stay booked at the Embassy on 17th Street in FLL. We prefer to stay at the Bahia Mar Doubletree due to its proximity to some great views and our favorite place for fish tacos in Florida, Bo’s Beach Bar, but with a short stay this time the Embassy is always great.

The itinerary for this B2B is Eastern with port visits in St. Maarten, St. Thomas, and Puerto Plata with 3 sea days mixed in followed by a Western itinerary with port visits in Nassau, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and George Town with 2 sea days.

Our scheduled check-in time for the 8th is 2:00pm to 2:30pm, which I believe is the last boarding time as the paperwork says all aboard by 2:45. We plan on showing up a little early and if we need to wait until our boarding window will be happy to do so.

Looking to posting more as the trip begins.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to your post. We will be boarding Beyond on 2/19 for a B2B which is the second ship boarding we will have in our 49 day sailings on three ships. Starting with Equinox for 19 days then Beyond for 14 and onto Reflection for 14 days. We have sailed Edge and Apex before and I will say you will enjoy Beyond! 

We too are RCCL cruisers and Diamond Plus, but enjoy Celebrity also. Two different type of experiences. More laid back on Celebrity, but make sure you enjoy the Sunset Bar! 

Would like your thoughts on Embassy Suites. We have stayed there before a while back but staying again this time around. 

Happy Anniversary and enjoy your time on board! 

Cheers! 

After a long day of travel on Saturday we have made it to boarding day! Last night we arrived later than planned at around 12:30am on Sunday and stayed at the Embassy Suites 17th street. Uber was taking a long time to connect to a driver last night, so we were able to get a cab without any lines for just under $15.00 prior to tip.

Check-in was smooth but we arrived after midnight, and we were the only ones in the lobby. We also use the Hilton app to avoid even stopping at the counter. In the lobby you will find the typical open-air atrium of most Embassy’s that host the managers reception at night and breakfast in the morning.

The hotel décor is a little bit dated both in the lobby and in the rooms., but it was fun to see the atrium still decorated for the holidays.  Though the stay was short we did get out for a walk around the grounds and area. The pool is great for the size hotel and the complimentary breakfast was okay with your standard Embassy Suites items and stations. I am still baffled though why it seems every Embassy cannot make decent coffee using the instant machines. The hotel is probably 80% or more Cruise passengers, the breakfast area seemed to be overtaken in waves of people. In addition to this I noticed signs already set up for transportation for Princess and Royal in the lobby as this may also be a pre stay hotel booked through some cruise lines directly.

We explored the general area and next door was a great local coffee shop called Grind and Press. In addition, when we were out for a walk this morning, there is a Publix and Winn-Dixie for last minute items you may have forgotten or did not want to pack, a total wine if you want to take a nice bottle on board and several restaurants and bars if you have time. A little further away was also a Walgreen’s. We also found a nail salon close by that we stopped in for a last-minute pedicure. DW was pleased and said she would recommend “Jade” if you are in a pinch. The massage chairs were nice for me.

As part of our walk this morning we did go up 17th street to try and get a better view of the ships that we could see from our room, in addition to the Celebrity Beyond I believe there were 4 other ships in port. Celebrity Reflection, Enchanted Princess, Royal Caribbean Odyssey of the Seas and a Holland America Ship that I believe was the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Though our check-in time for the Beyond is 2:00pm we plan to start heading to the port around 12:00 and can waste time in the terminal if need be. The normal checkout time at the Embassy is 11:00am which we were able to get a later time of 1:00pm with no issues.

Next up Embarkation!!!

• Like 5

Apologies now as I am using my phone to post. What does that mean spelling and grammar are up to Siri.

At 11:15 we got a little anxious and made our way to the lobby to get a cup of coffee and see how long it would take us to get an UBER. When we went to the lobby the Princess busses had arrived and travelers were waiting to check in bags in a meeting room.

Though the lobby was full of individuals waiting on Princess transportation to depart or other planned transportation getting an Uber was easy. From the time the Uber was requested to Pier 25 was under 15 minutes. One note they check IDs pulling into Port Everglades at certain gates. I do not understand why as they didn’t take an image or check a manifest but they did back up traffic.

When pulling up to the Beyond and after passing other ships you immediately notice the structural difference due to the Infinite Verandah. The ship was moored to Pier 25 on the Starboard Side nose to nose with Holland America.

As soon as we pulled up a Porter was there and we were in the terminal from the Embassy and Uber request in under 30 minutes. The Uber was 14.81 for an Uber XL. Getting through security in the terminal was rather quick but backed up for the same reasons TSA backs up as people just don’t follow instructions some times.

Following clearing security we were immediately greeted and checked in. This was by far the easiest and quickest boarding process we have experienced. 

From requesting the UBER at 11:15 to ordering our first Martini at 12:00 at the Martini bar. This included a stop by our muster station and to our stateroom on deck 3 Port Side. We may be in trouble with how close our room is to the Martini Bar. 

When we first entered the ship the gangway brought you in on Deck 5 midship. Staff was plentiful directing you to where you needed to be and the contemporary styling was tasteful. As we sipped our Martini we did a speed check premium internet was 11.8 MBPS down and 2.3 MBPS upload. The basic package would not pull up a test page.

We decided to do a stroll around the ship. We stopped on deck 3 and thought planning to speak to the dining staff for reservations for the remainder of the week the line was long enough we decided to wait. As late diners are normally no problem according to other bar staff. They recommended rotating between the 4 main dining rooms as all dining is what I would call My Time Dinning now. Tonight we will start at Tuscan as it was booked for us and will go from there. Next week on our B2B we are focusing on specialty dinning so more to come.

We proceeded to walk decks 3 to 5 and were impressed by the vibe and also the decor. We stopped for our second cocktail at Eden which the views and outdoor seating make it a venue to not be missed I believe. The hallway going to Eden was also very cool.

After touring the public decks through 5 we made our way to Oceanview Cafe. Though crowded it handles the crowd well with its layout and flow. We found the aft bar in the cafe had no line and enjoyed zero proof cocktail receipts with proof added! The food choices were plentiful and it was obvious they were focused on a more mature appetite than what we would have found in the windjammer on RC.

Following lunch we walked the outdoor public spaces and accidentally ended up in the retreat lounge. All were amazing and the gardens, sunset bar and plunge pool area are on our list to visit.

After all of this touring we made it to the room and changed into suits. We are now chilling for sail away and drinks on the main pool deck.

Overall first impressions staff seems attentive and the ship is well laid out and beautiful. The staff attentiveness may be due to its Captain Kate we have all heard so much about. We saw her twice in our tours interacting with passengers and crew.

Any questions you have please ask and I will try and go back an answer. Two weeks on the Celebrity Beyond starts today!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mperrizo said:

Any questions you have please ask and I will try and go back an answer. Two weeks on the Celebrity Beyond starts today!

Thank you for this thread and I hope you have a great time! I'm sure people are very interested as to what the Flagship is doing with regard to the Oceanview Cafe during dinnertime, so If you can report back as to what you're seeing is available and open in the buffet for dinner I'm sure it's going to be much appreciated!  

16 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Thank you for this thread and I hope you have a great time! I'm sure people are very interested as to what the Flagship is doing with regard to the Oceanview Cafe during dinnertime, so If you can report back as to what you're seeing is available and open in the buffet for dinner I'm sure it's going to be much appreciated!  

Will be sure to check it out!

• Thanks 1

We were on the Apex last Feb. Try the Halibut in the Normandie.  Delicious!

We we’re sorry that we did t not try the Eden restaurant.  We didn’t know much about it before we sailed but now have read so many amazing comments to about it.

Enjoy your cruise!

2 hours ago, mperrizo said:

I hope you have a wonderful cruise. 
We’re on a b2b starting on 1/22. 
If you have the opportunity, I would like to know more about the limited MDR menu . I wonder if the changes are testing the waters or are the cuts a permanent change. The slimmed down menu looks like all the favorites have been removed . 
Thank you ! 

• Like 1

We are about to head out for the night. At 5:00pm we were one of the few still out on the pool deck or in the Champaign hot tubs.

When we made it to the room to shower and prep for dinner by 6:00pm our bags had been delivered to this was a huge thumbs up! Though I am impressed with a 07 on floor 3 the body wash was empty and as a bald guy what else do I need? More to come as the night plays out. 

DW does not like the lighting in the rok

to get ready…

Edited by mperrizo

After a nice time chilling at the main pool for sail away and meeting some new friends went to our room to get ready for dinner. 

We did not make it to the buffet to check out  the offerings but had a wonderful evening gnat Tuscan. DW and I both had the French Onion soup and it was interesting how they would serve us both the same dish with one who had been in the impinger 20 minutes longer than the other. It did not change the flavor but had very different presentations. 

We each enjoyed a wine and different appetizers from the Tuscan menu. Our server did not recommend the Carbonara so we ordered the Tuscan Pork Chop and the Pappedelle. The Pork chop was great the chicken with the Pappedelle was over done. Take the pork with the Pappedelle pasta and you may have a home run!

During dinner we also spoke with the assistant maitre D who said dinner in the later evening at the 4 main dining locations is slow after 7:00pm. If you are concerned about dining times the busy time is from 5:30 to 7:00. He recommended we come when we want if it is after 7:00 and not worry about reservations. At 8:30 Tuscan was empty on day 1. 

He also recommended the steakhouse, Eden and Le Voyage for specialty sinning. La Petit he said was the same as other edge class ships but if you haven’t done it worth the reservation.

After dinner we went to Eden and heard a wonderful violinist preform with a cellist while enjoying an old fashioned. We made our way back to the martini bar one more drink and a great 5 piece jazz combo including a saxophonist playing and then off to bed to get some rest before our first sea day!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sea Day begins!

An early morning with a wonderful espresso from Cafe Al Bacio on deck 4. The pastries looked so good I had to try an almond croissant. After a short wake up cup of coffee it was off to the outdoor track to get a few miles in. The outdoor track changes levels and provides a nice change of view that helps the miles not feel as repetitive. Even with starting just prior to 7:00am the track was busy with lots of early risers.

Following our walk we found our loungers for the day pool side and went to the Oceanview Cafe for breakfast. Tip of the day is there are two omelet/ cook to order egg stations, if the line is too long turn around and look across the area the other line may be non existent. Thank you DW for saving me 10 minutes of waiting. Also the back bar of the cafe also makes espresso drinks and had no line compared to the bar at the entry of Oceanview Cafe. Overall a great selection of choices that should avoid repetition fatigue for breakfast.

After breakfast a quick stop in the Solarium for a pressed carrot and orange from the Juice Bar. The small breakfast bites in the area looked good.

The morning was a nice relaxing day pool side. Lots of walkers and runners still on the track taking in the sunshine and breeze as we cruise towards St Maarten. A morning announcement from Captain Kate with her riddle of the day was followed until 1100 with quiet elevator music playing and then an outdoor fitness class livened up the pool side scene. There seems to be plenty of loungers for everyone both in the shade and in the sun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, mari10 said:

I hope you have a wonderful cruise. 
We’re on a b2b starting on 1/22. 
If you have the opportunity, I would like to know more about the limited MDR menu . I wonder if the changes are testing the waters or are the cuts a permanent change. The slimmed down menu looks like all the favorites have been removed . 
Thank you ! 

We did not notice a reduced menu this could be due to the four dinning rooms being different menus. However being first time Celebrity cruisers I may not have a good comparison, so I will ask around.

2 hours ago, mperrizo said:
20 hours ago, mari10 said:

We did not notice a reduced menu this could be due to the four dinning rooms being different menus. However being first time Celebrity cruisers I may not have a good comparison, so I will ask around.

Thank you. 
The past menus had 5 appetizers and 5 entrees that changed each day  + the 4 dining room specific items. 

We also stayed at  Emb Suite before a cruise on BEYOND in Nov 2022.   Had not stayed there in awhile., Sadly it is tired, worn  and old..Our room had alot of dust and  broken furniture but a good view of our car in the  self park lot.  They say it will have a complete refurb next year  but we will avoid it til we know the project is completed., Breakfast buffet was still very good.

Will be following this review... we enjoyed BEYOND..

3 hours ago, NanaPam00 said:

Thank you for the report! What is the current cost to upgrade to the premium beverage package on board as listed in the daily planner?  I know before the new pricing it was shown as $10/day plus gratuity....

We paid 13.99 a day each precruise this was with the Elite discount and included tip.