Pricing Anomalies

Los_Pepes

I was messing around on the Celebrity site tonight and found something interesting. There most likely is an explanation for this, so please feel free to let me know. I did this same exercise on 6 different sailings had the same issue. Pricing below is from the 3/27/2023 sailing of the Equinox. 

I asked the site to produce pricing on an OV cabin and this is what I got back:

$1,158 for an OV stateroom

$849 for a Guarantee

($312 cheaper for the Guarantee)

When you the AI option:

$2033 for the OV Stateroom

$2277 for the Guarantee

(Guarantee is now $244 more expensive)

Why is adding an AI to a selected room $875 but when added to a guarantee $1,428pp?

image.thumb.png.efce155abdc8ca320d39a55a2d421784.png

image.png.cef2c9385c388cb1e5b7eb39ae9270ad.png

image.png.1f88402b914af266d9fd1e316060cf4f.png

2 hours ago, Los_Pepes said:

Why is adding an AI to a selected room $875 but when added to a guarantee $1,428pp?

' It's not ours to wonder why, but ours to book with AI'

But I recommend you hurry before they catch the discrepancy. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, alyssamma said:

So, I read this as the OV as being a "normal" price...i.e., not a deal, but the GTY being *overpriced*. In that case, no rush to book it.

$800+ pp is not a "deal" for AI...

Imagine paying $1,428PP for AI. My point of this thread to figure out why is booking AI on a guaranteed cabin almost always more expensive than on a normal cabin. In the case I show it is $553pp more expensive. The cynic in me thinks it is by design as X been accused of three card monte pricing. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Los_Pepes said:

Imagine paying $1,428PP for AI. My point of this thread to figure out why is booking AI on a guaranteed cabin almost always more expensive than on a normal cabin. In the case I show it is $553pp more expensive. The cynic in me thinks it is by design as X been accused of three card monte pricing. 

Easy to imagine because people do it all the time 🙂

But I get what you're saying...X prices have skyrocketed. This really pisses me off as I just recently discovered them and they are now my favorite cruise line. 

1 hour ago, alyssamma said:

Easy to imagine because people do it all the time 🙂

But I get what you're saying...X prices have skyrocketed. This really pisses me off as I just recently discovered them and they are now my favorite cruise line. 

Actually what I am saying is that it doesn't make sense. Why would it cost so much more to add AI to a guaranteed cabin vs a selected one? 

13 hours ago, alyssamma said:

So, I read this as the OV as being a "normal" price...i.e., not a deal, but the GTY being *overpriced*

7 minutes ago, Los_Pepes said:

Actually what I am saying is that it doesn't make sense. Why would it cost so much more to add AI to a guaranteed cabin vs a selected one? 

Right...that's what I said (or tried to) in my first post (bold added). It seemed like the other posters were saying to grab the OV, but I was trying to say your point was the OV seemed normal, but the GTY was too much.

I didn't have an answer as to why 🙂

The "why" is because this is either a mistake, or a way to catch people who pay no attention to math/prices, but the word "guarantee" makes them feel that it is a deal?  Buyer Beware!  Actually, trying to understand the "why" in so many things that Celebrity does is sometimes not worth the time and money.  The numbers do not lie; however, Celebrity can return and say this or that is incorrect, so we are adding...if you put concrete info' on here, that could all change within the hour.  It is just very frustrating if you are a "why" person.  Nothing stays the same, so get used to the game.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 2

On 1/6/2023 at 5:30 PM, Los_Pepes said:

Pricing below is from the 3/27/2023 sailing of the Equinox. 

The more you look at this, the more confusing it gets. I saw a 7 day cruise on an older ship that had AI pricing at only $250 more for the full 7 days. I priced another 7 day on a newer ship leaving the next day and the AI pricing was $600 more. When I am booking now, I am on about 6 different TA sites as well as Celebrities in an effort to score the best deal. It is so time consuming but worth it in the end.

It is a no brainer.   I have seen  this many times.   Book the cheaper one and don’t worry about it.  If the price reduces, and probably won’t,  the cruise line will honor it 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

8 hours ago, Lastdance said:

The "why" is because this is either a mistake, or a way to catch people who pay no attention to math/prices, but the word "guarantee" makes them feel that it is a deal?  Buyer Beware!  Actually, trying to understand the "why" in so many things that Celebrity does is sometimes not worth the time and money.  The numbers do not lie; however, Celebrity can return and say this or that is incorrect, so we are adding...if you put concrete info' on here, that could all change within the hour.  It is just very frustrating if you are a "why" person.  Nothing stays the same, so get used to the game.

Exactly.  

Some one will contact a TA and say they want to travel during a certain date and specify the category.  If it is a great TA they will inform the client about the price differences but for the most part they will accommodate  the client’s wishes.  Less work and move on to the next call that been on hold.  

I am sure that there are many  passengers that book a cruise without  researching cruise prices.  All they want is a date, category, itinerary and cruise line.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

8 hours ago, miched said:

Exactly.  

Some one will contact a TA and say they want to travel during a certain date and specify the category.  If it is a great TA they will inform the client about the price differences but for the most part they will accommodate  the client’s wishes.  Less work and move on to the next call that been on hold.  

I am sure that there are many  passengers that book a cruise without  researching cruise prices.  All they want is a date, category, itinerary and cruise line.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I still don't get why adding AI to a guaranteed OV cabin is $1400+ pp but adding it to a specific OV cabin is a little north of $800. Its the same package with presumably the same cost basis.