Indulge me please: 2 more Apex Suite class questions (Late April TA)

DebInAntigua

We're doing the math and it looks like upgrading from a concierge IV to Sky Suite on deck 9 almost midship, port side will cost about $2k total for a 15 night TA in late April / early May on the Apex. So we're rather tempted by the larger room and bathroom, and being able to enjoy suite amenities on such a long cruise.

Two more questions for the experts on CC:

1) My husband's food tastes tend to be a bit more plain than mine, and while he thinks he'll generally like the food in Luminae, he is curious if you can order from all of the MDR menus in Luminae on the Apex. Especially if anyone knows this for this past week with all the food service changes happening and cutbacks. Will he be able to choose from the full Luminae and MDR menus, if needed?

2) Our cruise is a TA from Florida, first port Bahamas and then over to the north (England, Amsterdam, etc.). I've heard these tend to be warm cruises at first and gradually often become very windy and cool. Will we actually regret NOT having an IV cabin where we can enjoy the view without being in the weather on a traditional balcony? Will the Retreat Sundeck be a desirable spot after we enter the open Atlantic, or too cold and windy most of the time right there on the front of the ship? For context, we spend most of the year in Antigua, Guatemala and find temps below 65 brrrrrr-cold! as we've acclimated nicely to daily temps most of the time between 72 - 78 degrees and sunny year round., LOL. 

Thanks in advance CC peeps.

I can respond to question #1.  Generally, the answer is no as Luminae is at the very front of the ship and the MDR kitchen is at the very back of the ship.  Sometimes they will make an exception, particularly if you advise them the day before.  In fact, since they have to go so far to get MDR items I strongly encourage no one to ask the same day as it's really a big ask for them.  But it you look at the next days menus and talk to them about it, you can probably work something out.

There are a set of "classics" that you are able to order from with no issue.  This is things like a chicken breast, caesar salad, french onion soup, and a few others.  Outside of that - they CAN get other items from the MDR - but it is not the norm.  I ordered an appetizer one or two nights and I asked them at breakfast for it later that same night.  The reason it is not as easy as on an S class ship for example is that the MDR kitchen is on deck 3 (?) while Luminae kitchen is on deck 12.  So they basically like to get the food up really early so they do not disrupt their entire flow of service.  I think these classics are things they have in their own kitchen while others they must obtain from the MDR.  On The Summit for example, MDR and Luminae share a kitchen, so it is very easy to get an entree from the MDR.  You can of course go to the MDR to eat, and those rooms are actually very nice and also have individual tables.

We have never gotten a entree from the MDR on a E class ship but they seem to have things like shrimp cocktail, onion soup, Cesar salad, chicken breast, and steak available.  

Also the menu has a unique way of describing the dishes and we have found if you ask the dish isn’t as unique as the description.

• Like 1

We did a TA over this past summer (late May) and we had an aft suite.  We enjoyed the balcony a bit, but honestly - there was a ton to do out and about on sea days around the ship.  We had coffee on the balcony a few mornings.  The butler brought us some blankets and we had those on the balcony.  But it was a bit chilly.  The retreat sundeck was great in the afternoons.  It is in the front of the ship and there is a large glass which does block the wind.  Really nobody (well, very few) were in swimsuits as it was just a bit cool, but it was a really nice place for an afternoon sun spot / reading and a nice drink.  We did enjoy it a many times.  They have blankets there (same ones the butler brought to our room) and you can sit on the lounger with a blanket if it is too chilly - but we found the afternoons fine.  

What WAS cool - the walking track.  So if you like to do the walking / jogging track - bring something warm for that.

• Like 1

Oh - and also in Luminae - they can also omit for example shrimp from soup and things like that.  Like if they have "shrimp in curry broth" you could ask for just the broth - they way they present it is usually the bowl with shrimp then pour the curry broth in.  So - just keep that in mind too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We have never gotten a entree from the MDR on a E class ship but they seem to have things like shrimp cocktail, onion soup, Cesar salad, chicken breast, and steak available.  

Also the menu has a unique way of describing the dishes and we have found if you ask the dish isn’t as unique as the description.

yes, they have still had the classics like the MDR menu.  I hope to heaven they keep them!  I really find little to like on much of the Luminae menu especially in the appetizer, soup and salad choices - of which there are few.  I guess I could always go to an MDR restaurant instead but the ambiance and service (and bread!) is so much better in Luminae.

If I had a chance to upgrade to a SS for just $2k, I would definitely go for it. In addition to the Retreat Sundeck, Apex has a covered outside area on the port side just outside the Retreat Lounge. Fresh air with walls on three sides, so minimal wind. The Retreat Lounge offers nice views from inside.

The extra space in a SS over an IV for a transatlantic, the view from the bed & the bathroom when the mirror is "open," being pampered by a butler, and the overall suite experience would tip the scale in our household.

Enjoy, whatever you choose.

• Like 1

Your fist port is Bermuda not the Bahamas which is off the coast of Georgia we may have a high of 75F then its going to cool down from there. For us living in Florida anything under 70 with out the sun is cold. We have heated vests and heated coats we are bringing  by the time we get to Ireland the temps could be low 46F. Really love Trans Atlantic cruising but not the cold. We spend so much time on the ship its nice to have a suite even if we do not use the Retreat Deck as much. I felt lucky to find a Celebrity Suite avalible yesterday.

• Like 1

FWIW I was on Apex last summer with one of my adult sons. He believes he is someone who likes more "normal" food and it is a (mostly humorous) point of contention with the rest of our family that he feels we are always dragging him to restaurants with weird food (and there's plenty of it in Portland OR). He completely loved Luminae food. One night we went to the MDR because nothing sounded good on the Luminae menu, and he said it was a mistake because everything tasted so much better in Luminae. I do know sometimes he got the "always available" items and I remember our waiter explained that without prompting the first night. He's in his 20s, so still has a big appetite, and sometimes he got something later from the buffet (which when we were on was quite good).  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DebInAntigua said:

Thanks everyone for your replies! We went ahead and upgraded last night into a S1 Sky Suite. Pretty sure it will ruin us for non-suite cruising. 😉

It will spoil you, but not ruin.  I go back and forth between suites and veranda cabins.  Sometimes the suites are just too high in price.  I was in the PH in October on a repo and will be in an IV with you in April on the TA.  IMHO, for that amount of $, you made the right choice!  Enjoy the Retreat.

16 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

yes, they have still had the classics like the MDR menu.  I hope to heaven they keep them!  I really find little to like on much of the Luminae menu especially in the appetizer, soup and salad choices - of which there are few.  I guess I could always go to an MDR restaurant instead but the ambiance and service (and bread!) is so much better in Luminae.

I loved the soups in Luminae.  They did not always sound good but some knocked your socks off.  Also they were hotter and tasted fresher because of the small pitcher system of serving.  This was totally different than the mass production available in the MDR.

3 hours ago, CruiseRQA said:

Heated vests and coats for 46F?    😂

You have to factor in the wind chill on the water also. I worked construction in Michigan for 30 years I hate the cold it took me 2 years living in Florida to get warm. And I plan on staying warm.

Edited by southernbreezes

15 minutes ago, southernbreezes said:

You have to factor in the wind chill on the water also. I worked construction in Michigan for 30 years I hate the cold it took me 2 years living in Florida to get warm. And I plan on staying warm.

I live in Michigan.   As of this post it is 40!   Not bad for January.  

4 hours ago, DebInAntigua said:

Thanks everyone for your replies! We went ahead and upgraded last night into a S1 Sky Suite. Pretty sure it will ruin us for non-suite cruising. 😉

We did the same thing on Saturday - upgraded to a Sky Suite on the Apex TA in April. It will be difficult to go back to a veranda.😉

• Like 2

Suite experience on celebrity is amazing, on edge class it’s even better because of the outdoor retreat area . Our first celebrity cruise was a free upgrade to sky suite more than a decade ago , have not booked anything but suites since , have booked sky, celebrity, royal and penthouse.