Status Match

Chefaleslie

Hello, my wife has Platinum status on Princes Captain Circle.  I have been searching and searching to see if HAL status matches but have found nowhere. Does HAL status match with CCL lines? Thank you all in advance for your help and advice. 

HAL will give her 1-star status before her first cruise - this is true for anyone who has taken at least one cruise on any CCL line. Normally one must cruise first to achieve this status. However, she will not be awarded any Mariner days prior to the cruise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cruise Suzy said:

HAL will give her 1-star status before her first cruise - this is true for anyone who has taken at least one cruise on any CCL line. Normally one must cruise first to achieve this status. However, she will not be awarded any Mariner days prior to the cruise.

Thank you for this clarification.  I have edited my post.  It is not a status MATCH, but it is something.

CCL should allow status matches among its various lines. It's only good business. I'm four-star with HAL, but HAL isn't the only line I cruise on. I'd be more likely to keep my business within the CCL "family" if I knew I could get something like four-star benefits with, say, Cunard, Princess, or Seabourn, especially on longer voyages where the unlimited free laundry (four-star benefit) would be a big incentive.

• Like 11

30 minutes ago, jimdee3636 said:

CCL should allow status matches among its various lines. It's only good business. I'm four-star with HAL, but HAL isn't the only line I cruise on. I'd be more likely to keep my business within the CCL "family" if I knew I could get something like four-star benefits with, say, Cunard, Princess, or Seabourn, especially on longer voyages where the unlimited free laundry (four-star benefit) would be a big incentive.

Yes, it should.  I never understood why any line that is owned by another doesn't get to share it's "reward" perks across all the shared lines.  It's not like they really cost that much to the lines.

• Like 2

Years ago HAL stated that because their Mariner status is more "obtainable" than the sister lines it would be hard to match to the appropriate levels on sister lines. We took this as typical "not willing to do this". We are 5 star HAL and less on Princess and probably would never sail on Seabourn,Aida or Cunard (except to get cruise in Europe if we didn't fly) so it's not an issue for us. But it would appear if MSC can match other lines, that CCL could figure an intra-match. However they will need to figure out a 6* or other modification to Mariner program before they increase members. Or maybe they first make so many cuts that 5* members get tired and leave and the next group rises up. 🤪

Now if Seabourn ships join HAL to embark on longer itineraries, maybe I will feel differently. 🤞🤞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

Except Cunard doesn't have unlimited free laundry as a 'perk' - I think you get a small discount. They do have free laundromats though. I guess that's why  they don't  do it - because your expectations need to quite different on different lines 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, REOVA said:

Years ago HAL stated that because their Mariner status is more "obtainable" than the sister lines it would be hard to match to the appropriate levels on sister lines. We took this as typical "not willing to do this". We are 5 star HAL and less on Princess and probably would never sail on Seabourn,Aida or Cunard (except to get cruise in Europe if we didn't fly) so it's not an issue for us. But it would appear if MSC can match other lines, that CCL could figure an intra-match. However they will need to figure out a 6* or other modification to Mariner program before they increase members. Or maybe they first make so many cuts that 5* members get tired and leave and the next group rises up. 🤪

Now if Seabourn ships join HAL to embark on longer itineraries, maybe I will feel differently. 🤞🤞

I think it's the opposite.  On Cunard as soon as I got to 20 nights I got $45 internet credit - now at 70 nights I get $80 credit and 20% of laundry.  On HAL I'd have to get 500 nights before I   got $30 internet credit - that's an insult frankly.  I'd have to do 200 nights just to get some meaningful benefits like 50% off some  wine packages and priority tendering/embarkation 

Besides MSC that matches any other lines status Royal Caribbean /Celebrity are pretty much the only other cruise lines that does the Loyalty Match that I am aware but you cannot be in the lower level of the Loyalty tiers with Crown and Anchor or Captain's Club it starts with Platinum and Captain's Club it starts with Select. There are several categories below both of these that are not matched. 

Als the NCLH Group of NCL, Regent and Oceania also do NOT do a Status match.

I am one that agrees that it would never work between the CCL brands. Way too many in the high tiers with HAL, PCL and CCL. My opinion that MSC does this is so that they get a following from North America and those frequent cruisers from other brands may spend their money on MSC.  

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I am a 5 star on hal and elite on Princess.  I earned mine the good old fashioned way by sailing.  I’m kind of glad they don’t.  In some cases it might be fine but if it causes back up on getting laundry back  or more people on the internet that’s my issue.  

I applaud you for not taking advantage of the status match on MSC and VV 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I applaud you for not taking advantage of the status match on MSC and VV 

I have no desire to cruise on msc.  No idea what vv is.  I was going to do celebrity next but their cancel for any reason sucks for Canadians.  I’m not interested in  other insurance to cover my cruise. I will most likely be cruising Princess next again.  I have nothing booked.  I don’t get mounds of vacation so I’m not interested in experimenting at this time.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

48 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I have no desire to cruise on msc.  No idea what vv is.  

Virgin Voyages.  I admire your principles that you will not take advantage of marketing offers if you feel you have not spent enough to do so.  

7 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Virgin Voyages.  I admire your principles that you will not take advantage of marketing offers if you feel you have not spent enough to do so.  

Yes, I can tell you admire that 🤣. I’ve been on carnival before and no amount of freebies is going to make that happen again.  As I mentioned I do not get months of holidays that seem prevalent on this board that I need to spend carefully. 

Virgin and MSC are relatively new. They are still in building the brand mode. As such matching makes sense in getting cruisers to try their brands. Even though MSC has existed for quite a while, there rapid expansion in the cruising world is relatively recent compared to the CCL lines.  The CCL lines have enough of a problem with the large numbers of their own high status cruisers on each cruise, to create even more of a problem with giving a status match to other lines.

Edited by ldtr

I have mixed emotions on this issue.  I would love to be able to use my status on sister lines, but I am concerned what it would do to the perks on HAL with more and more people using them.

I saw this in Vegas - we had high status on one chain and loved the perks.  However, as that chain acquired more properties they had to reduce the quality and number of perks offered (plus restrict who could use them).  After awhile it was not worth much to us.

• Like 2

We don't really have high status on any line, but are highest with Princess due to most our cruises being on them.  My problem is I don't mind trying other lines.  We had a Princess cruise booked and I just replaced it with a HAL one as the Neptune Suite offer was just too good to pass up.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

I didn't know this. We've cruised on Princess a few times. How do I go about requesting the 1 star status on HAL?

Thanks for this thread. Strangely HAL matched my Princess account (so my HAL number is same as on Princess....but neither matches CCL)........but they didn't do the same for my wife.......so we are checking in on that too.   But yeah as you guys described, we have our first ever HAL coming up and I show as 1-star and she shows as nothing.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

If you use a TA or PCC, give her/him you Princess number or the dates of at least one cruise.  If you book directly, you probably need to contact the Mariner Society.

Maybe I already have 1 star and didn't realize it. When I login to HAL this is what it shows. Is the star below 0 credits the 1 star indicator?

image.png.b18b5feda96f4b8e02f324c49633986b.png

1 hour ago, CruiserN1 said:

Maybe I already have 1 star and didn't realize it. When I login to HAL this is what it shows. Is the star below 0 credits the 1 star indicator?

image.png.b18b5feda96f4b8e02f324c49633986b.png

No, there will be "1 STAR" between your Mariner number and the credits bar. Also, a status indicator graphic will be to the left of the credits bar.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Chefaleslie said:

Hello, my wife has Platinum status on Princes Captain Circle.  I have been searching and searching to see if HAL status matches but have found nowhere. Does HAL status match with CCL lines? Thank you all in advance for your help and advice. 

Sadly, other than giving a one-star status early.

Like others I have asked different line representatives in the past and have gotten multiple answers.

The most common one is all lines figure your status different. Some use days sailed; others use days sailed plus bonus point for onboard spending or booking a suite.

The second most common was each line wants you to sail with them not their competitors.

It would be nice to see a partnerships between the cruise lines similar to airlines, but I don't expect it anytime soon. Till CCL corporate sees an advantage to matching benefits between the different lines under their umbrella we will never see a change.

Edited by Dutchman48
  • Like 2