World Cruise 2023 - Occasionally Live from the Island Princess

We_like_to_cruise

Happy that you were able to make the Treaty Grounds. We had to skip Bay of Islands and Fjordlands on the Majestic a few weeks ago after the bad storms then. It looks like Gabrielle is now a tropical storm and hope it doesn't cause too much mayhem for you. We were supposed to be aboard with you but had a change of plans. Following to enjoy every minute of your trip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, gottagocit said:

I haven’t seen any reports in quite a while indicating whether plastic straws are back or are the paper ones still the only ones available onboard. Can you shed light on this?

Just off the Caribbean Princess and the International Cafe was serving frozen coffee drinks in a plastic cup with a plastic lid and a biodegradable paper straw that biodegraded after the first few sips.

Luckily, I have a stash of sturdy plastic straws  that I could reuse.

The shops were placing purchases in plastic bags.

Makes one wonder about the logic behind the push for paper straws that are useless for their intended purpose.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Just off the Caribbean Princess and the International Cafe was serving frozen coffee drinks in a plastic cup with a plastic lid and a biodegradable paper straw that biodegraded after the first few sips.

Luckily, I have a stash of sturdy plastic straws  that I could reuse.

The shops were placing purchases in plastic bags.

Makes one wonder about the logic behind the push for paper straws that are useless for their intended purpose.

In theory the paper straw makes sense but in reality it doesn’t serve they just aren’t usable yet. Someone will likely eventually figure it out.
As for the plastic bags, cups etc it does make you scratch your head. Those do have good alternatives but aren’t being utilized. 🤦‍♂️

• Thanks 1

We are also on the Island Princess- 111 day world cruise from LA - started January 19, 2023.  Way to many sea days and with the jump from Taraunga to Melbourne more sea days with NOTHING to do - same "geriatric events" day after day. CD Cole isn't impressive with creativity, but once you experienced Matt O'Brian as your Cruise Director- you are spoiled,  NO one is his equal. Would not recommend this cruise as a future WC, look at another cruise line and pay close attention to the long sea days.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, TravelLizzy said:

We are also on the Island Princess- 111 day world cruise from LA - started January 19, 2023.  Way to many sea days and with the jump from Taraunga to Melbourne more sea days with NOTHING to do - same "geriatric events" day after day. CD Cole isn't impressive with creativity, but once you experienced Matt O'Brian as your Cruise Director- you are spoiled,  NO one is his equal. Would not recommend this cruise as a future WC, look at another cruise line and pay close attention to the long sea days.

For us long days at sea are wonderful. That is why we do so many Hawaii and Trans Atlantic cruises. Nothing like 5-7 days at sea

• Like 14

22 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I am so sorry to hear about New Zealand.  I would much prefer visiting there than Australia.  Stay safe.  I am guessing all of you are "just along for the ride".

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=just+along+for+the+ride+youtube&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:762bbd36,vid:rer1GbyPivw

Hi cr8tiv. Did you have a bad experience visiting us here in Aus? 🤔 Vicki. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Busy Mum said:

Hi cr8tiv. Did you have a bad experience visiting us here in Aus? 🤔 Vicki. 🙂

I have not been to Australia or New Zealand.  I am sorry if I gave you the impression that I didn't like Australia.  One day, I would like to visit both.  Each has their own charms.  New Zealand just seemed to be easier to visit while on a cruise.  Most transPacific trips end in Sydney without visiting any other ports.

Australia is HUGE and would require more than a few port stops to really get a good feel regarding Australia.  That is a (longer) trip in itself.  

I have met wonderful representatives from your beautiful country.  

Someday.  On my bucket list, but flying over is so expensive and time in the air.  A cruise is much more doable (but I would have to fly back).

Mahalo nui loa for making me feel welcomed in your land.

• Thanks 2

On 2/12/2023 at 11:32 AM, We_like_to_cruise said:

Splenda available everywhere, but you might have to ask for it.  

Sugar is on the tables on Horizon Court.

Soda dispensers working fine at every bar we have been to.  Okay, all of them.  🙂

Plumbing is working fine.  We have had zero issues.

1.thumb.jpg.b87d45e37d30bcb6310aebe4255a9ba8.jpg

Just now, Fortunatefew said:

Sorry - off topic -.

Did you get off the ship on 11 February at Mt Maunganui ?  Tauranga port.

Both the Island and sister ship Coral were in on the same day so there were thousands of passengers around but many seemed at a loss as what to do or where to go.  We often go there when the ships in and walk around the many boardwalks or around the “Mount” and often chat or help the visitors with questions they may have,.

Just now, Fortunatefew said:

Some additional comments on our trip as our opinions:   1.  Premium teas are hard to comeby. Almost all not available and they’re substituted just generic teas.    2.  Wines for plus package are poor and only low quality available.  They claim shipment to ship have not arrived. They are serving a yellowtail syrah that I wouldn’t serve at home.    3.  Laundry machines on deck 9 have 1/2 out of service and have a tag dated 12/8/22 for repairs.  No urgency to repair.  4.  Food has not matched our food on the 2020WC.  Very poor quality beef served except for tenderloin dishes.  5.  Many seats in theatre are in disrepair, many broken beverage tables.   For our first leg of trip to Sydney only 2 production shows. Too many juggling, comedy, and magician shows.  Have had a few good vocalists.   6.  Almost non existent enrichment talks. They claim first speaker hired lost passport and couldn’t board in LA.  2nd one was good but only on for 5 days.  7.  First week out of LA ship ran out of bourbon except for jim beam. No bullit or woodford.  8.  Service in dining room is still slow with breakfast taking 1-1/2 hrs at times and dinner At almost 2 hrs for many tables. Ship ended up with many assignments to tables to overcome the 1hr+ wait for a table. You had to request a permanent table as reservations are not honored at all.  9.  Still many cases of covid on board.  Deck 8 aft/port side is assigned area, but some in balconies are remaining in their cabins.  Recently more people are wearing masks around ship.  Staff is not wearing them. 

if it wasn’t for our FCC expiring in January and if we knew of the quality of princess now downgraded  on this cruise, we would have not traveled.  Definitely not worth the plus drink package with lack of wines, alcohols, and premium teas.  There are no smoothies fyi.  

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, TravelLizzy said:

I’m sorry you are not enjoying your cruise. We are also on this cruise and are having the time of our lives. The captain is keeping us safe, which I appreciate. I wish there was more food selections, but service is awesome. Everyone works so hard. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I have not been to Australia or New Zealand.  I am sorry if I gave you the impression that I didn't like Australia.  One day, I would like to visit both.  Each has their own charms.  New Zealand just seemed to be easier to visit while on a cruise.  Most transPacific trips end in Sydney without visiting any other ports.

Australia is HUGE and would require more than a few port stops to really get a good feel regarding Australia.  That is a (longer) trip in itself.  

I have met wonderful representatives from your beautiful country.  

Someday.  On my bucket list, but flying over is so expensive and time in the air.  A cruise is much more doable (but I would have to fly back).

Mahalo nui loa for making me feel welcomed in your land.

I was just concerned you had visited our shores and not enjoyed yourself, no problems at all I was not offended.  You really must visit us one day and explore our great BIG country, you will love it.  Hubby and I have visited your amazing Hawaii, both by cruising there and land touring and we loved every minute of it, you certainly live a magical part of the world.  We both would love to travel there again; we certainly wouldn't hesitate for a minute!!  Stay safe and well cr8tiv1.  Vicki. 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JABTPS said:

Some additional comments on our trip as our opinions:   1.  Premium teas are hard to comeby. Almost all not available and they’re substituted just generic teas.

@JABTPS Hello.  I am also a tea drinker.  I will be on the Island for the May 11th Panama Canal sailing - Los Angeles to Ft. Lauderdale.  I know about the Teas in the Horizon court (Lipton, English Breakfast, Green and a couple of herbal teas)  I know on the other ships in the International Cafe - they have the Earl Grey, Vanilla Bean.  Are those the Premium Teas?  Should I bring my own Earl Grey & Rose tea?

On 2/11/2023 at 5:04 PM, We_like_to_cruise said:

Bay of Islands, New Zealand

The tender drops us off at the Waitangi Wharf and we are greeted by visitor ambassadors.  Unlike most of the other ports where we are told “it is too far” or “take a cab” our query about walking into town is greeted with great enthusiasm.  There is a free shuttle bus available, but we follow the directions for the 20 minute walk into Paihia. 

Along the way we visit the Waitangi Treaty Grounds, the historic site of the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi between the British and the Maori, a founding document for the country. 

In Paihia we purchase tickets for the small ferry to Russell, New Zealand’s first seaport and first capital.  I sit adjacent to the friendly captain, but am a little disconcerted by the reminder on the windshield to repair the water pump! 

Russell is a lovely town for strolling and, feeling ambitious, we hike up Flagstaff Hill for views of the Bay of Islands.  The hike starts easy enough along the road, passing lovely homes, but then leads to many steps upward and finally a rocky dirt path, so we certainly got our daily exercise.

Back in town we browse the shops on The Strand and peruse the Duke of Marlborough restaurant menu – New Zealand’s first licensed establishment.  It is a little early for lunch so we continue onward.  Although Russell was nicknamed “Hell Hole of the Pacific” in the 1800s due to its popularity with sailors on shore leave, we find its streets charming.  I read that in the 19th century it was described as “lawless and bawdy”. 

Back in Paihia a lively craft market catches DW’s eye. So we survey the offerings at the booths, chat with the vendors and contribute to the local economy.  There are many more stores and casual eateries in Paihia. A light lunch of shared fish and chips along with some Australian ginger beer is enjoyed outdoors in the park. 

After walking back to Waitangi, we are met with a very long line for the return tender.  Drats. 

On a bright note, in the early evening the Island Princess passed alongside the "Hole in the Rock" in Cape Brett. A boat trip through it earlier today was a popular excursion for many of our fellow passengers.

1.thumb.jpg.ca35779ee62b55626642b632e422f644.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.47f4f67f997cc53741f6b2a159255887.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.8999c72453c02724f85b4c6e42a8a190.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.d8100dd943451ae3efe282632a056985.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.9168da0354737849d4839c02e3297bdd.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.021d273ba5b5d9adf5c7e268c7795993.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.164eefb1de3cf4e2798db604e73fb7f2.jpg

8.thumb.jpg.7d98df183767f92b66de1f696603e815.jpg

9.thumb.jpg.f5196052d02c6b2bfef7d3bb35588e97.jpg

11.thumb.jpg.95158b5f0b985d60d23d204d03043f9c.jpg

12.thumb.jpg.9335e5a3bbba570c7261cfc6afc34a1a.jpg

13.thumb.jpg.9e5004ae733f2d95dd2dc9cee29f0832.jpg

14.thumb.jpg.570d09d6333e73651332dc93e3017af6.jpg

15.thumb.jpg.f5e575b95318a9e2a9338b94737cf595.jpg

16.thumb.jpg.bc5dba0285ebd2fed118660927f859ac.jpg

Bay of Islands will be one of our ports on our upcoming April cruise. 

Have a few questions:

1.  You mentioned there are free shuttles from the tender pier to Paihia, free shuttles also 

available from Paihia back to tender pier?

2.  Did the ferry, restaurants, and shops take credit cards or you got some NZD?

3.  How much time you spent in Russell?  We are thinking of doing the same thing you did.

Take ferry to Russell first, check out the town, then ferry back to Paihia, check out Paihia.

Our port stop is from 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.  Would like to be at tender pier by 4:30 p.m. at the

latest.  Will we have enough time to do both Russell and Paihia?

4.  Did you happen to see any bank ATM by the pier?

Thank you.

• Like 1

Auckland, New Zealand

Welcome to the City of Sails, home to nearly one third of the population of New Zealand.  Additionally there are well over 100,00 yachts, sailboats and marine craft within its harbors.

We disembark at Princes Wharf and follow a walking tour with the GPSmyCity app.  This app is designed to be used offline and no internet connection is necessary.

Some of the locations we visit or view include:

Cathedral of Saint Patrick & St. Joseph

Sky Tower

St. Matthew-in-the-City

Auckland Town Hall

University of Auckland Clock Tower

Albert Park

The Government House

The Civic Theater

Auckland Art Gallery

Victoria Park

The Auckland Harbour Bridge

Late in the day as we walk through the Wynyard Quarter in the harbor, we stumble upon a TV show filming.  We are encouraged to line up to enjoy “free food” as an episode of “My Kitchen Rules” is wrapping up.  This is a popular Australian cooking competition show.  The chefs have been judged and now samples of their creations are available to the public.

Auckland was a great port - we appreciated the friendly residents and the unrushed pace.  However we did not anticipate the changes in street elevation as we made our way to the sites.  We spend our last few hours relaxing by the harbor with a cold drink and give our feet a rest.

1.thumb.jpg.fff8eb42ffb3e020da285b4d3cbed3d7.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.79f68ca4a4a1e8ec51a74185c51a92db.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.963a308e23fb6ae88ca9ad33078abf7b.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.003fcb27b85cbc72e1124cbe5edc2ea6.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.bb9722bff632c02bd088acc007258073.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.9a7520ab76761f4f13305479c8f8b208.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.0162dd78c3207f44cdf23ad1b88fe668.jpg

8.thumb.jpg.e5bfb4fed79265424f4640d8d7c4d3fb.jpg

9.thumb.jpg.0ba4051e7a8084aa6a10971f5138d4f8.jpg

10.thumb.jpg.9300bd4bf8e1e3ee7abd5bf34670deaf.jpg

11.thumb.jpg.489afffd09c7e22be54323e90a0681c3.jpg

12.thumb.jpg.ec2b76a0ffd8c9e7e790259bba6dbe92.jpg

13.thumb.jpg.394d17b904be86f4e67ebd49e3655810.jpg

14.thumb.jpg.ff5b2bdd643a4e79224b4c707da3c35a.jpg

15.thumb.jpg.cc531a3b1163a66ef4f92c70ad5de945.jpg

Edited by We_like_to_cruise
e
  • Like 10

Tauranga, New Zealand

Our original scheduled time in this port was 6:15 am to 8:15 pm.  With that in mind, months ago we had arranged a private tour which would take us about 2 ½ hours from the port.  However, the night before, an announcement was made that we would now arrive at 8:15 am with all aboard at 5:00 pm. 

We texted the time changes to the tour operator and they advised adjustments could be made.  The tour was billed as maximum 12 people, so we were pleasantly surprised when the small touring van held only one other couple from our ship.  Our driver / guide was polite and knowledgeable and a careful driver. 

Our primary destination was the Waitomo Glow Worm Caves.  The glow worms are attached to the ceiling of the cave and use bioluminescence to attract prey.  (We learned they are actually maggots, but “glow maggots” does not have the tourist friendly sound of “glow worms”).

We passed many farms (mostly cattle – the sheep are more common in other parts of NZ) as we learned of history, geology, political, educational opportunities, etc.  It was a pleasant ride with pleasant people. 

The caves were quite interesting and worth the long trip.  We waited a few minutes after arrival and then joined a group of about 20 for a walk down numerous steps to visit various chambers in the cave.  Stalactites, stalagmites, water pools and dripping water at each turn.  At one stop our Maori guide demonstrated the acoustics and sang us a native song. 

One feature of this cave is a boat ride to view the main attraction – the glow worms.  He pulled us via overhead ropes and soon we entered a pitch black section covered overhead with thousands of blue dots of light.  We were cautioned to be quiet and no photography was allowed.  It felt like we were floating in a planetarium.

As the boat ride eventually ended we were allowed to take a few pix of the exit from the cave.

Next on our tour was The Kiwi House.  Our guide was concerned about the timing if we stopped for the sit down lunch originally planned.  We all agreed to stop at a local café, grab a sandwich and drink, and leave more time for site seeing.

At The Kiwi House there were convenient picnic tables so we dined al fresco.

The Kiwi House features viewing of the nocturnal kiwis in a natural night time setting. 

Well, it must have been past their bed-time.  We stared and stared into the dimly lit environs to no avail.  The only kiwis we saw were the ones provided by the taxidermist in a display at the entrance.

Our leisurely trip home used a different route so we were able to stop at a scenic lookout.  When we got into town our guide was surprised by the unexpected lack of traffic.  So, he continued our tour and showed us Tauranga as well as the beach area.   

1.thumb.jpg.934de3feb53d50a0f5b63f6094b61c72.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.40fb696e0832ef72d8e30dc375eba0d1.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.0d968c20c102933cb606d558c0887754.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.83e7548923e06491d705c9f1de68c650.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.e222f647527dc8098b2251b3d88f91fa.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.0ea6515c0029ec0b89c168d7fb68713d.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.2c1986955f3971bd8cd4542ad2fa2ddc.jpg

8.thumb.jpg.2bed0ad93feb98520d4b8f000428ae50.jpg

e
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Busy Mum said:

I was just concerned you had visited our shores and not enjoyed yourself, no problems at all I was not offended.  You really must visit us one day and explore our great BIG country, you will love it.  Hubby and I have visited your amazing Hawaii, both by cruising there and land touring and we loved every minute of it, you certainly live a magical part of the world.  We both would love to travel there again; we certainly wouldn't hesitate for a minute!!  Stay safe and well cr8tiv1.  Vicki. 🙂 

@Busy MumAloha Vicki,

Someday, we (you and I) will have to plan on being on Oahu at the same time.  I hear I make a pretty good (free) tour guide.  I sure wish Cruise Critic made messaging available.  That actually goes for ANYONE who happens to be there when I am at home.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@Busy MumAloha Vicki,

Someday, we (you and I) will have to plan on being on Oahu at the same time.  I hear I make a pretty good (free) tour guide.  I sure wish Cruise Critic made messaging available.  That actually goes for ANYONE who happens to be there when I am at home.

@cr8tiv1 G’Day! Well, I’ll be certainly up for a wonderful ‘free’ guide, count us in! 😂😂 

I also wish CC would allow private messaging, it certainly would come in very handy at times. Take care & hope to catch up one day. Vicki. 😁 In the meantime, I’m loving reading about this World Cruise, it sounds wonderful. We have been on the Island Princess & enjoyed it very much, this was an Alaskan cruise in 2019, before everything went crazy. 🥺

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Been following your lovely blog. The pictures are fabulous. I will be on the Island later this year for a 28 day cruise. Can you tell me if there is a thermal suite. I love those hot tile beds and the thermal suite is included in full suite cabins. 

• Like 3

Super Bowl LVII Sunday, er Monday

My friends and family on the East Coast of the US gathered together at parties in their homes for the 6:30 pm kickoff on Super Bowl Sunday.

Passengers on WC2023 assembled by 11:30 am on “Super Bowl Monday” at loungers and tables around the large MUTS (Music Under The Stars) outdoor screen.  Since we had crossed the International Date Line we would be watching the live game on a Monday and not Sunday. 

The weather was sunny but cool with a breeze, so plenty of blankets were in use.  There was much jockeying for position to find the ideal spot keeping in mind the sun, the wind, the shade and the viewing angle.  Chances are your final seat choice would be yours for the next 3-4 hours.

The Sanctuary guests even had their own VIP section cordoned off by velvet ropes. Fancy schmancy.

Chiefs and Eagles fans were scattered all around, so cheers, and groans, as the game progressed came from all directions.  Pax good naturedly ribbed each other as their chosen team took the lead.  The game was broadcast without a hitch on ESPN, although we did not get to view any of the regular network broadcast commercials.  

The roaming bar staff were busy busy supplying beers and other libations as fans anxiously watched the game.  Bags of warm popcorn were handed out as snacks.  Some of the cruise entertainment staff dressed in sporting attire.

At half-time we made our way to the adjacent Horizon Court buffet for some anticipated Super Bowl themed lunch.

Hmm, we discover the theme inside is “English Pub Lunch”.  What ???

Not Super Bowl grub at all!  Didn’t the kitchen get the memo ??

An indoor SB party, also well attended, was being held down at the Explorers Lounge.  Appropriately they were offering tortilla chips with salsa and guac, crudités with dips and chicken wings.  Okay, not typical Buffalo style hot wings, but at least they tried.

The excitement of the game lasted until the final seconds as we were all on the edge of our seats. 

Super Bowl at sea – a memorable game in more ways than one!

1.thumb.jpg.34f98ece0c932e7c89debd7a53f1a515.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.a542295f85982e319f5f0592fd8a763f.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.6a7c88d758ae6b5a1ec062c12237c5c3.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.11cf5f39edf388f0874decbb529c156a.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.bcbc0d2a971ee1a39a0f699c99a52964.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.27e23fa1eccdf159c232c2e8f1e9b2aa.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.b6bdde4fde6ce1f873a4187b743c5960.jpg

8.thumb.jpg.de96661fa32b12bfb6724e08a6ca85a5.jpg

9.thumb.jpg.d7d4c092a8f8a1f2fe33dd596cc5bc04.jpg

e
  • Like 5