Club Orange upgrade

ship101

11 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

I do think I've been told that you might lose some perks if they are no longer available.  Say you book and get the HIA with the extra perks but that is no longer available.  You'd lose those and have to take the regular HIA.  But I could be wrong!  Amazingly, that's been known to happen. 😁

That is absolutely correct.  Upon my return from my Koningsdam cruise, I knew I wanted the Club Orange dining room on the Rotterdam and added CO to my booking.  My TA advised against downgrading and then upgrading back to my room as I would have lost one perk that was of higher value than my upgrade cost at the time.  I did the math and she right - as usual 😉 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, kazu said:

That is absolutely correct.  Upon my return from my Koningsdam cruise, I knew I wanted the Club Orange dining room on the Rotterdam and added CO to my booking.  My TA advised against downgrading and then upgrading back to my room as I would have lost one perk that was of higher value than my upgrade cost at the time.  I did the math and she right - as usual 😉 

In our case with our Volendam booking for next year, we had already booked a lower category Vista Suite (B). So, when we added CO to the booking and upgraded to a A location midship location VS we did this without having to rebook or lose our Early booking premium HIA benefits. So, if you start out in a lower category you can upgrade without having to rebook.

Edited by terrydtx

10 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

In our case with our Volendam booking for next year, we had already booked a lower category Vista Suite (B). So, when we added CO to the booking and upgraded to a A location midship location VS we did this without having to rebook or lose our Early booking premium HIA benefits. So, if you start out in a lower category you can upgrade without having to rebook.

Thanks I knew that but didn’t know I would “need” Club Orange back when I booked and even back then, cabins of my choice were very limited.  It was only after being on the K (where I did use CO to upgrade)that I realized the benefit of the Club Orange dining room.  

9 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks I knew that but didn’t know I would “need” Club Orange back when I booked and even back then, cabins of my choice were very limited.  It was only after being on the K (where I did use CO to upgrade)that I realized the benefit of the Club Orange dining room.  

How did you like the CO dining room compared to the MDR? That is a huge reason to get CO on Pinnclass ships.

4 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

How did you like the CO dining room compared to the MDR? That is a huge reason to get CO on Pinnclass ships.

That’s the whole reason I wanted CO again.  Now, this is just my experience on the K but….CO dining room service was excellent - food was very good.  I really enjoyed it and felt I was treated very well - especially as a solo.  

I ate one dinner and one lunch in the MDR.  I was one and done.  Poor service, incorrect spacing between servings and at dinner, the meal had to be returned and wait for a new one by 3 of us at the table.   Once I got back, the first thing I did was call for CO on the Rotterdam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Yes, sounds like you're headed in the right direction. Please update us after your next round of calls.

Just got off the phone and have the revised confirmation email. C Oceanview upgrade to VH Veranda for $100pp, VH Veranda then upgraded using Club Orange to VQ Veranda. Should be all set, but I'm holding my breath a little cause they sure made it seem like I broke the system lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, kazu said:

That’s the whole reason I wanted CO again.  Now, this is just my experience on the K but….CO dining room service was excellent - food was very good.  I really enjoyed it and felt I was treated very well - especially as a solo.  

I ate one dinner and one lunch in the MDR.  I was one and done.  Poor service, incorrect spacing between servings and at dinner, the meal had to be returned and wait for a new one by 3 of us at the table.   Once I got back, the first thing I did was call for CO on the Rotterdam.

As much time as I just spent toying with the category upgrade, the main reason that attracted us to CO initially was the private dining venue on Pinnacle ships. Sorry to hear about the experience in MDR, but its good to know that the differences can be significant and make it worthwhile. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Just beware that a vq is a smaller balcony.  It’s NOT a juliette balcony like some have posted.

Don't tell us, we don't know the difference yet, hehe jk. We'll be fine with that, we just want to be close to the spa for using the thermal suite, and the (ugh!) gym. Appreciate the heads up!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, OCJayGuy said:

Just got off the phone and have the revised confirmation email. C Oceanview upgrade to VH Veranda for $100pp, VH Veranda then upgraded using Club Orange to VQ Veranda. Should be all set, but I'm holding my breath a little cause they sure made it seem like I broke the system lol. 

Sounds like you got a good deal and the cabin you preferred.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OCJayGuy said:

Don't tell us, we don't know the difference yet, hehe jk. We'll be fine with that, we just want to be close to the spa for using the thermal suite, and the (ugh!) gym. Appreciate the heads up!

It isn't terrible that's for sure.  The only truly terrible balcony (to me) is that Juliette balcony.  I'm sure someone will say they like it.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OCJayGuy said:

We were in Spa VQ for the first time in Feb and really enjoyed it, especially considering we're used to the large aft balconies down on 4. 

The perks of the VQ:

Easy access to Spa - used my thermal pass twice daily, every day!

Easy access to great coffee in Crow's Nest

Easy access to the "secret" deck - went every day for solitude

Glad it worked out. Hope to hear your feedback when you return.

Safe travels, enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2023 at 1:35 PM, Haljo1935 said:

We were in Spa VQ for the first time in Feb and really enjoyed it, especially considering we're used to the large aft balconies down on 4. 

The perks of the VQ:

Easy access to Spa - used my thermal pass twice daily, every day!

Easy access to great coffee in Crow's Nest

Easy access to the "secret" deck - went every day for solitude

Glad it worked out. Hope to hear your feedback when you return.

Safe travels, enjoy your cruise!

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it, appreciate this info! I haven't even thought about where to get coffee yet, and didn't know there was a quiet secret deck to visit.

I just called them out of sheer curiosity to see what the difference would be to jump to Vista Suite from VQ, and it's pennies. (I half expected needing to cover the value I got using CO to get to VQ.) From what I've read in other threads, there's not a big difference in what the rooms offer (correct me if wrong!), but I might be curious to try it since the cost is so low. Looking at where those rooms are located now. 

ps. i also asked about adding HIA to my existing booking, and the gratuity promo would not be applicable, since it is tied to new bookings only (per her supervisor). 

1 minute ago, OCJayGuy said:

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it, appreciate this info! I haven't even thought about where to get coffee yet, and didn't know there was a quiet secret deck to visit.

I just called them out of sheer curiosity to see what the difference would be to jump to Vista Suite from VQ, and it's pennies. (I half expected needing to cover the value I got using CO to get to VQ.) From what I've read in other threads, there's not a big difference in what the rooms offer (correct me if wrong!), but I might be curious to try it since the cost is so low. Looking at where those rooms are located now. 

ps. i also asked about adding HIA to my existing booking, and the gratuity promo would not be applicable, since it is tied to new bookings only (per her supervisor). 

The secret deck is awesome!! And it's a short trip from getting your good coffee - if you stay in the VQ.

If you're wanting a balcony, the VS is the way to go if they're offering it to for pennies.

It is a completely different view than what you'll have in the VQ, though. And you'll walk further for the coffee, spa, gym and secret deck, lol.

Personally, I'd probably take the Vista Suite - you can do the VQ another time you get a good deal.

I'll be interested in the outcome and know you'll have a great no matter which way you go.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, OCJayGuy said:

That’s about what I’d pay for a vista suite is about a penny. At that you are overpaying.  The difference is so small from a balcony they should be embarrassed calling it a suite.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

That’s about what I’d pay for a vista suite is about a penny. At that you are overpaying.  The difference is so small from a balcony they should be embarrassed calling it a suite.

haha, I appreciate the honest thoughts about it! And good to know, may not trade out locations if there's no real redeeming value, other than to just say we tried it once. 

16 minutes ago, OCJayGuy said:

haha, I appreciate the honest thoughts about it! And good to know, may not trade out locations if there's no real redeeming value, other than to just say we tried it once. 

It might be worth it for that.  It could have a larger balcony than what you have.  I went from a regular balcony room with a large balcony to a Vista suite.  The balcony was tiny in comparison.  Then I had dude on the next balcony playing Adele so loud that the shore worker kept looking up.  All around just a stellar experience.  I wanted to go back to my balcony room.

1 hour ago, ebtrip said:

Quick question, this is our first time in Club Orange, do they have fixed dining or open dining.  My HAL confirmation states main dining. Thanks

Open or anytime dining.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ebtrip said:

Quick question, this is our first time in Club Orange, do they have fixed dining or open dining.  My HAL confirmation states main dining. Thanks

Main dining on your confirmation refers to the time for your reserved table in the Main Dining Room (MDR).  Club Orange is a separate location where you may choose your dining time for breakfast and dinner.  If there are no tables open, you will be given a beeper.

Koningsdam Club Orange

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-konigsdam-dining-options/IMG_2352.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ebtrip said:

Depends on the ship, I think.  If there is a separate CO dining room, it's open seating.

If it's any of the other ships (any that aren't the three in the Pinnacle Class), it just a separate menu in the MDR and you'll have either open seating or one of the set dining times.  I'm guessing "main dining" means either early or late.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2023 at 6:06 PM, Florida_gal_50 said:

It might be worth it for that.  It could have a larger balcony than what you have.  I went from a regular balcony room with a large balcony to a Vista suite.  The balcony was tiny in comparison.  Then I had dude on the next balcony playing Adele so loud that the shore worker kept looking up.  All around just a stellar experience.  I wanted to go back to my balcony room.

Annoying when that kind of stuff happens. I think im staying put in VQ for now, really not a fan of the couch placement in the Vistas and not being able to watch tv from it. I should also mention i cant wait to try the CO restaurant, so I'm staying on topic for the grouches. Ive already recommended CO to my other family members with HAL offers, and i havent even done it yet 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have another question for all of you. We are now considering booking a 14 dy Asian cruise for October 2024 on the Noordam. Is it worth upgrading to CO as they do not have a separate dining room.  Appreciate your advise. Thx

23 hours ago, ebtrip said:

Club Orange is open seating. If you are on a Pinnacle Class ship (Rotterdam, Nieuw Statendam, or Koningsdam) you have a separate dining room. Otherwise, you have a separate check in in the Main Dining Room.

Personally, if we were on a non-Pinnacle ship, we'd choose late-fixed dining and just tell our servers that we were had CO so we could get the CO menu item. (We're a late-fixed dining kind of people and if there's no separate CO dining room, we'd prefer to have an assigned table with the same servers every night.)  I know that flies in the face of conventional logic, but we've had second fixed seating on every cruise but one since 1994 and there's a certain amount of inertia. It's probably all in my head, but I think it's easier to establish a relationship when you have the same dining team each night.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Club Orange is open seating. If you are on a Pinnacle Class ship (Rotterdam, Nieuw Statendam, or Koningsdam) you have a separate dining room. Otherwise, you have a separate check in in the Main Dining Room.

Personally, if we were on a non-Pinnacle ship, we'd choose late-fixed dining and just tell our servers that we were had CO so we could get the CO menu item. (We're a late-fixed dining kind of people and if there's no separate CO dining room, we'd prefer to have an assigned table with the same servers every night.)  I know that flies in the face of conventional logic, but we've had second fixed seating on every cruise but one since 1994 and there's a certain amount of inertia. It's probably all in my head, but I think it's easier to establish a relationship when you have the same dining team each night.

Thanks, I agree..we also prefer late dining fixed. Just wasn’t sure if it wasn’t cost effective to add CO just for upgrade