MSC Status Match Program

tgg

I had never heard of a cruise line that transferred loyalty levels from a competitive cruise line. 

With the information I found on another thread, I applied for "status" based on my level in the Azamara loyalty program.  I was shocked to hear from them in less than 4 hours of a Saturday, telling me I am Diamond status.

I'm aware of the current Explora promotion of a two category upgrade plus onboard credit for MSC diamond status members.  Now I need to gather more information about Explora to decide whether I'll sail with them or Azamara next December. The prices are almost the same for a comparable suite.

1 hour ago, tgg said:

I had never heard of a cruise line that transferred loyalty levels from a competitive cruise line. 

With the information I found on another thread, I applied for "status" based on my level in the Azamara loyalty program.  I was shocked to hear from them in less than 4 hours of a Saturday, telling me I am Diamond status.

I'm aware of the current Explora promotion of a two category upgrade plus onboard credit for MSC diamond status members.  Now I need to gather more information about Explora to decide whether I'll sail with them or Azamara next December. The prices are almost the same for a comparable suite.

More info is tough.  We can look at their web site and one of my favorite cruise agents was to an impressive training session (including the use of Virtual Reality) and came back impressed.  But the real proof will not exist until Explora I finally starts operating next summer.   They have hired some decent management and company certainly has deep pockets and a strong commitment from the Aponte family (they are the major owners of MSC).  I suspect that many of the early bookers (including me) are gambling on the cruise line based on having cruised in MSC's Yacht Club.  They will need to improve on Yacht Club cuisine to compete in the luxury market.

Hank

• Thanks 1

MSC [and Explora] has a generous status-matching program, but it's a two-edged sword:  you were awarded Diamond status but all status on MSC only lasts for a limited time unless you keep sailing with them periodically.  That will protect them from the problem that Celebrity and many other lines are having now where so many passengers have achieved (lifetime) high status that they are over-taxing the venues for events.  

We got a status match for our MSC Yacht Club cruise – it actually doesn't add much in the YC, and I suspect it won't add much on Explora.  And since we haven't sailed with MSC again I suspect it's gone now anyway.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tgg said:

From where do you have this promo information? We wan't to book a explore cruise and we are all MSC Diamond members, but I don't found any information about this promo.

2 hours ago, Nikita4 said:

From where do you have this promo information? We wan't to book a explore cruise and we are all MSC Diamond members, but I don't found any information about this promo.

I can't find a link to the promotion, but I've seen it somewhere and I'll look.  🙄 

We've been working with a couple of TA's that were familiar with the 2-stateroom level upgrade and the $500 OBC and they were reflected in the quotes we were given.

Unanswered questions ~

1.  Is the 2-stateroom level upgrade limited to within a certain class of staterooms, or does it allow to step up to a higher stateroom class?

2.  Is the $500 OBC per booking; if booking a 14-day as one cruise there is a $500 OBC, however, it appears that booking the two components of the 14-day cruise into two 7-day cruises generates an additional $500 OBC.

There are also promotions to TA's for volume and stateroom class that allows TA's to offer TA OBC's.  Our quote from one was $400 OBC per person on the 14-day quote.

Edited by At Sea At Peace

2 hours ago, Nikita4 said:

Talk to a travel agent.

1 hour ago, Nikita4 said:

Thank you.
We will book with my TA, I hope they know this promotion.

We're finding that (1) Explora Journeys memberships and communications by phone and email with their staff is, well, not so helpful and (2) most TA's didn't do business with MSC and haven't added Explora Journeys to their cruise line profile and (3) the EA's that do have MSC and Explora Journeys services have a hard time getting Explora Journeys to confirm specifics of the QUOTE.  😲

After finding one in (3) above, and getting a quote, the 2-category stateroom upgrade was listed, but the price was per the online amount of the OT3 and not the OT1?

Also, the $500 OBC was not on the quote, but the TA said it would be on the actual reservation.

TODAY ANOTHER GENERAL PRICE INCREASE ACROSS THE BOARDS ARE NOW IN PLACE.

Best of Luck.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, At Sea At Peace said:

We're finding that (1) Explora Journeys memberships and communications by phone and email with their staff is, well, not so helpful and (2) most TA's didn't do business with MSC and haven't added Explora Journeys to their cruise line profile and (3) the EA's that do have MSC and Explora Journeys services have a hard time getting Explora Journeys to confirm specifics of the QUOTE.  😲

After finding one in (3) above, and getting a quote, the 2-category stateroom upgrade was listed, but the price was per the online amount of the OT3 and not the OT1?

Also, the $500 OBC was not on the quote, but the TA said it would be on the actual reservation.

TODAY ANOTHER GENERAL PRICE INCREASE ACROSS THE BOARDS ARE NOW IN PLACE.

Best of Luck.

Got some additional information from replies from Explora Journeys and/or a Travel Agent working on a Reservation Hold for a 14-day Miami/Miami in November 2023.

(1) Explora Journey responded in about 48+ hours.

(2) The Quotes provided by Explora Journeys and/or a Travel Agent are providing the 2-Stateroom Level MSC DIAMOND upgrade promotion.  If the amount on your quote looks high (prior the price increase yesterday 1/16/2023) if you were looking at the price of an OT1, it's because if the OT1's are "gone" they've moved on to the base price of an OT2 before applying the upgrade to an OT4.  The way to tell is to simply look at the Stateroom assignment on the Quote and compare to the Explora Journeys I deck plan and legend.

(3) The $500 OBC (they refer to as the JEC) for Diamond members is a 1-time promotion "per Diamond member" and "per booking" and would not double to booking the 14-day by its two 7-day component itineraries. The EJ respondent agent indicated that it is possible that each of the two 7-day component bookings might* be considered separate is the Diamond member making the booking was different.  In our Quote, which we've have to cancel, such would be significantly worth less as the new booking(s) would be at the new, increased prices.

"might" as she had not encountered that question before and would need to ask a supervisor.

So, as it stands now, our 14-day cruise in a OT4 Stateroom Mid-Ship on Deck 9 (based on the pre-January 16, 2023 price increase) would be $6,850PP, with a $500 OBC/JEP by Explora Journeys.  Using our TA we also would get a $200PP per week TA OBC ($800).

image.thumb.jpeg.5602f2df0ca3d998c1b00bd1ba09fe14.jpeg

image.jpeg.03aef37626cdf98751b89411b325c329.jpeg

4 hours ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Got some additional information from replies from Explora Journeys and/or a Travel Agent working on a Reservation Hold for a 14-day Miami/Miami in November 2023.

(1) Explora Journey responded in about 48+ hours.

(2) The Quotes provided by Explora Journeys and/or a Travel Agent are providing the 2-Stateroom Level MSC DIAMOND upgrade promotion.  If the amount on your quote looks high (prior the price increase yesterday 1/16/2023) if you were looking at the price of an OT1, it's because if the OT1's are "gone" they've moved on to the base price of an OT2 before applying the upgrade to an OT4.  The way to tell is to simply look at the Stateroom assignment on the Quote and compare to the Explora Journeys I deck plan and legend.

(3) The $500 OBC (they refer to as the JEC) for Diamond members is a 1-time promotion "per Diamond member" and "per booking" and would not double to booking the 14-day by its two 7-day component itineraries. The EJ respondent agent indicated that it is possible that each of the two 7-day component bookings might* be considered separate is the Diamond member making the booking was different.  In our Quote, which we've have to cancel, such would be significantly worth less as the new booking(s) would be at the new, increased prices.

"might" as she had not encountered that question before and would need to ask a supervisor.

So, as it stands now, our 14-day cruise in a OT4 Stateroom Mid-Ship on Deck 9 (based on the pre-January 16, 2023 price increase) would be $6,850PP, with a $500 OBC/JEP by Explora Journeys.  Using our TA we also would get a $200PP per week TA OBC ($800).

image.thumb.jpeg.5602f2df0ca3d998c1b00bd1ba09fe14.jpeg

image.jpeg.03aef37626cdf98751b89411b325c329.jpeg

Lovely itinerary 👌

Ivi

Called our TA to check on this promotion. Found out that to change to a lower 2 category from what we already booked will cost us $200 each change fee and there would be a chance our cabin chosen would be 'lost' in the system and would have to take another cabin in the same category. So not worth the $100 from the $500 OBC-$400 change fee.

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Anyone have new experience booking their deposit with Bank of America credit card ? We were charged by BofA a $150 service/transaction/currency conversion fee.

Does your BofA card carry a Foreign Transaction Fee?  My BofA Cash Rewards Visa charges 3% FTF – which is why I never use it for charges that might go through foreign banks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/18/2023 at 7:35 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

Called our TA to check on this promotion. Found out that to change to a lower 2 category from what we already booked will cost us $200 each change fee and there would be a chance our cabin chosen would be 'lost' in the system and would have to take another cabin in the same category. So not worth the $100 from the $500 OBC-$400 change fee.

I don't use TA's myself. When I wanted to apply diamond promo, I emailed directly and was told I didn't need to cancel, and they would take care of it. Which they did. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/18/2023 at 6:41 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

Anyone have new experience booking their deposit with Bank of America credit card ? We were charged by BofA a $150 service/transaction/currency conversion fee.

I guess that is just one more reason to use a decent US cruise agency to handle the booking, the other benefit being a nice On Board Credit.  We booked, through our favorite TA, using our usual Chase card and there were no fees.

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2023 at 5:05 PM, Hlitner said:

I guess that is just one more reason to use a decent US cruise agency to handle the booking, the other benefit being a nice On Board Credit. 

It's a matter of the credit card policies, not your travel agent.

• Thanks 1