Feels like I’m getting hosed

Cruise till you drop

4 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

Thanks, but reading the other posts it seems like NO UPGRADE doesn't mean anything. I'm traveling solo so no big deal if they upgrade me as long as I'm in the same cabin for both cruises and I'm not above or below a loud venue.

If you’re booked on 2 separate booking numbers, then yes, it probably would be different cabins.

Depends on how the UG’s are worked. If it’s programatic, then anything could happen.  If it’s manually worked, it’s possible they might catch the No Upgrade.

Just keep an eye on it.

2 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

If you’re booked on 2 separate booking numbers, then yes, it probably would be different cabins.

Depends on how the UG’s are worked. If it’s programatic, then anything could happen.  If it’s manually worked, it’s possible they might catch the No Upgrade.

Just keep an eye on it.

Yep, two different booking numbers. Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Thanks for the feedback but I don’t believe that for a minute

maybe then it is just that they really do not like you and thought it would be fun to really annoy you.

Reality is the ships do not control inventory. A department at corporate does. For a passenger to extend to the next cruise it has to go through the corporate office.

If a passenger changes room, except for a couple maintained out of inventory, the change has to be approved by corporate.

If you are on board and want to extend you go to the future cruise office and they see if there is a cabin available. been there done rhat several times.

Edited by ldtr

I want to thank you for posting this issue,  I had no idea they would do this.  I will definitely check my booking often since they pulled this on you.  Again I appreciate you taking the time to let us know what happened to you, and I dont blame you for being upset over it, I would be upset also.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ldtr said:

maybe then it is just that they really do not like you and thought it would be fun to really annoy you.

Reality is the ships do not control inventory. A department at corporate does. For a passenger to extend to the next cruise it has to go through the corporate office.

If a passenger changes room, except for a couple maintained out of inventory, the change has to be approved by corporate.

If you are on board and want to extend you go to the future cruise office and they see if there is a cabin available. been there done rhat several times.

What if the cruise is half full?  We were on a cruise back in Feb and bookings were dropping off like crazy because of the covid spread.  The Captain made an announcement, if anyone wanted to extend for the next cruise, they could for 50% off what they paid.

They went to GS to see if their cabin was available or to move to another cabin.

Maybe they already had corporate approval?  IDK.

I’m sure this was a once in a lifetime event!  

16 hours ago, Thrak said:

On our last cruise (December) Princess "upgraded" us 3 times. We had booked a specific cabin as my wife wanted that location. We marked it "no upgrade". I was checking our booking and discovered we had been moved to a "better location". Our original cabin was shown as available. I called my TA and got the cabin back. The next day I checked again and, once again, we had been moved to a "better location". I checked again the next day and it had happened again. It was insane. They moved us 3 times with no notice when our booking was marked "no upgrade". The TA got the cabin back again. I sent a snotty gram to multiple people at princess - including John Padgett. I got a call and an apology along with an assurance they would leave my booking alone. They also comped us a specialty dining.

Crazy situation for you, 3X. Princess no upgrade!  

When I book a cabin, I book a specific cabin that I like that location and pay accordingly whatever it be. Wow reading so many of these things does not entice me want to book a princess cruise or any other right now.  I do think the author/Op of this thread just didn’t have all their information and probably had a guarantee cabin ,but who knows ....

@PacnGoNow

You were in the right place at the right time.  It was an oddity that they would have offered you to extend AT a 50% reduced fare.  I would have jumped on it.  Almost as good (not quite) as my Golden days when they told me that I could apply every cent of a 3 or 4 day cruise to a Future Cruise.  

And yes, @ldtr is also correct.  When I tried to get the same room on a b2b (added at a later date), they told me that it would be in the hands of the inventory department (never heard of them).  But sure enough, at the very, very, very last minute, they were able to keep me in the same cabin.  Don't know what they offered the next occupants, but I am sure it was worthy of their move.

I am sure that 99% of passengers book the cabin they want.  OP received a "META" upgrade to a higher category.  Unfortunately, Princess has no clue that what they think is an upgrade, IS NOT an upgrade for those passengers. I've been upgraded once (Window Suite to a Penthouse Suite.  You can keep your upgrades.  No more upgrades.  I pick, I stay.

14 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

What if the cruise is half full?  We were on a cruise back in Feb and bookings were dropping off like crazy because of the covid spread.  The Captain made an announcement, if anyone wanted to extend for the next cruise, they could for 50% off what they paid.

They went to GS to see if their cabin was available or to move to another cabin.

28 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@PacnGoNow

You were in the right place at the right time.  It was an oddity that they would have offered you to extend AT a 50% reduced fare.  I would have jumped on it.  Almost as good (not quite) as my Golden days when they told me that I could apply every cent of a 3 or 4 day cruise to a Future Cruise.  

And yes, @ldtr is also correct.  When I tried to get the same room on a b2b (added at a later date), they told me that it would be in the hands of the inventory department (never heard of them).  But sure enough, at the very, very, very last minute, they were able to keep me in the same cabin.  Don't know what they offered the next occupants, but I am sure it was worthy of their move.

I am sure that 99% of passengers book the cabin they want.  OP received a "META" upgrade to a higher category.  Unfortunately, Princess has no clue that what they think is an upgrade, IS NOT an upgrade for those passengers. I've been upgraded once (Window Suite to a Penthouse Suite.  You can keep your upgrades.  No more upgrades.  I pick, I stay.

Well, the deal didn’t help us, because we already had booked the next cruise as a b2b months before.  Some people made out, though! 🙁

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

Crazy situation for you, 3X. Princess no upgrade!  

When I book a cabin, I book a specific cabin that I like that location and pay accordingly whatever it be. Wow reading so many of these things does not entice me want to book a princess cruise or any other right now.  I do think the author/Op of this thread just didn’t have all their information and probably had a guarantee cabin ,but who knows ....

No we definitely had a guaranteed cabin that we selected right from the get go.  Again we wanted to be near the retreat pool and no upgrade requested

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

No we definitely had a guaranteed cabin that we selected right from the get go.  Again we wanted to be near the retreat pool and no upgrade requested

Cruise til you drop,sorry what happened to you or is happening on your current cruise. 

Maybe the semantics of guaranteed cabin you mention...

usually a guaranteed cabin means for a certain category or higher not an actual cabin number given is called a guaranteed  when you book.

sorry,sounds like you actually had a cabin number assigned to you and it was changed on you, if I’m understanding correctly . I would be upset as well. Can only  at this point while you’re onboard try to get a hold of the hotel manager and like you said see if they can give you some onboard credit for your troubles or at least explain it to you of why it happened .

Edited by arizonaperson

8 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

I just walked by the room and zero status is shown beside the names.  But other cabins show status 

Interesting. I wonder what’s up. With no status, I wonder it’s a person working on the ship such as an Entertainer. 

Edited by DHP1

You did technically receive an upgrade, though to you, I recognize it was a downgrade. Hopefully your TA didn’t forget to mark your booking as “No Upgrade” after your wife requested it.

As for being separated from the rest of your traveling party, if you have linked bookings and are next to each other, that should have prevented you from being separated. I wonder if your TA ever linked your bookings. 

I think fat this point, you’ll probably never know the reason, but I hope you end up enjoying your new stateroom and can enjoy your cruise!

34 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Now, I am more confused.

Did you book a guaranteed cabin (to be assigned by Princess) or did you specifically select S209?

I know this this is so unsettling, but there is not much you can do until you return from your cruise.  Maybe you can make an appointment with the Hotel General Manager via the Customer Service Desk.  

I do hope you are able to enjoy the rest of your cruise.  Not worth the time, aggravation, frustration, and effort to get your cabin back while on the ship.

A lesson to be learn from all of this. If you don’t what a cabin change, then you need to check your booking everyday. Don’t depend on others to notified you. Once you notice a change, you have 48 hours to notified Princes (assuming you received an e-mail from Princess).
Refer to Post #27

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

They made the offer, however I am pretty certain that the bookings for the next week for any that wanted one would have been submitted back to corporate, the cabin assignments made and approved there. Some might have had to move cabins.

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

We tried to extend our B2B cruise on the Discovery but there were no cabins available.  An earlier poster thought that your loyalty level would make a difference… Nope, that doesn’t matter.  You only get a cabin if a cabin is available.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Interesting. I wonder what’s up. With no status, I wonder it’s a person working on the ship such as an Entertainer. 

Entertainer, officer family, corporate exec family members, likely.  Been bumped by an entertainer before. When that happens official status is cabin removed from inventory for operational purposes. When you get that status when you talk with the resolutions department no way to get cabin back even if you call back with in 48 hours.

42 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Now, I am more confused.

Did you book a guaranteed cabin (to be assigned by Princess) or did you specifically select S209?

I know this this is so unsettling, but there is not much you can do until you return from your cruise.  Maybe you can make an appointment with the Hotel General Manager via the Customer Service Desk.  

I do hope you are able to enjoy the rest of your cruise.  Not worth the time, aggravation, frustration, and effort to get your cabin back while on the ship.

“Did you book a guaranteed cabin (to be assigned by Princess) or did you specifically select S209

Im assuming he selected the cabin however, what is the cabin number shown on his Travel Summary and luggage tag and furthermore, what number is shown on the App.

Edited by DHP1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

That's just not feasible or sustainable.

Takes 2 minutes on my phone. Also when they saw a different cabin on their luggage tags why didn’t that set off bells.  Something here doesn’t ring true

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

That's just not feasible or sustainable.

So true.  It will be a pain to check everyday however, if you have a specific cabin you want then you have no choice in the matter to check. 

For us, we have a specific cabin we want so we have no alternative to check everyday plus, we also check to see if the price of the cruise has drop. If the price drops, we just call Princess and they will revised our cruise. Done this many times almost every cruise. It’s becomes a game. 
The “old” Princess will notified you by e-mail which has happen to us 3 times in 15 years sailing with Princess. The “New” Princess, by the sound of things, will notified you of a cabin change at check in..

Edited by DHP1
  • Like 1