Glass blowing

Peteymil

6 hours ago, PRH said:

We just did this this morning on Equinox.  I made the jellyfish $120 (purchased pre-cruise with discount) and my husband made a vase $150 (we paid the difference from the $120 “voucher”).  Here are the items you can make with their prices (first 2 pictures).  You choose your colors and they will advise based on the item you want to make.  Come 10-15 minutes earlier than your appointment to make decisions.  Closed toe shoes and recommended no white clothing because of ashes on equipment.  It was great fun.

660F2AE1-7745-425F-98DA-D7DBA4EA5A56.jpeg

EA61BC13-B5F1-4865-86A8-E9C4A5597E80.jpeg

A1AD3550-B216-49E8-B3D5-52A74AD10717.jpeg

6 hours ago, PRH said:

We just did this this morning on Equinox.  I made the jellyfish $120 (purchased pre-cruise with discount) and my husband made a vase $150 (we paid the difference from the $120 “voucher”).  Here are the items you can make with their prices (first 2 pictures).  You choose your colors and they will advise based on the item you want to make.  Come 10-15 minutes earlier than your appointment to make decisions.  Closed toe shoes and recommended no white clothing because of ashes on equipment.  It was great fun.

660F2AE1-7745-425F-98DA-D7DBA4EA5A56.jpeg

EA61BC13-B5F1-4865-86A8-E9C4A5597E80.jpeg

A1AD3550-B216-49E8-B3D5-52A74AD10717.jpeg

Thanks for the additional advice!  I made an orange pumpkins precovid, but I love your implied suggestion regarding a different colored one!  🙂

On 1/24/2023 at 1:48 PM, beachluver9 said:

We found zero value in pre-paying.  You don’t save any money and you aren’t guaranteed a slot.

If you are concerned that it might be difficult to get slot that works with your schedule (port intensive cruise with all day excursions) you might end up trying to chase a refund.

I sure wouldn’t feel comfortable doing this activity after a lively cocktail hour, lol

I prepaid with a pre cruise discount—under activities.  Plus, as Elite plus, you get 5% discount.

42 minutes ago, PRH said:

I prepaid with a pre cruise discount—under activities.  Plus, as Elite plus, you get 5% discount.

Really??? Where does it say that (did I miss that perk?) (edits: ok, I found it, it is a Classic benefit)

Guess I'd have to call to get the discount as I booked online?

Edited by CaroleSS

On 1/14/2023 at 8:13 PM, Peteymil said:

I know when you book a glass blowing class, you do not get a specific time. Where would you go once you get on the ship to book your time slot?

Go straight to the glass blowing area on top deck & select your day & time. We do this as soon as we board

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Go straight to the glass blowing area on top deck & select your day & time. We do this as soon as we board

They didn’t open on Equinox for reservations until 3:30.  The demonstration began at 4pm.

11 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

Really??? Where does it say that (did I miss that perk?) (edits: ok, I found it, it is a Classic benefit)

Guess I'd have to call to get the discount as I booked online?

Us too.  We didn't' know we were eligible for 5% discount being Elite plus!

• 1 year later...
On 1/20/2023 at 2:16 PM, shellunderwater said:

Thanks for the info.

We are planning to do this, but worry about it selling out if we wait to book on board.  We are on the Equinox in June for ABC islands.  Is selling out an issue?

From our experience, this does not sell out and they’re usually trying to fill spots as the cruise goes on. But if I were you, I would book early if you know for sure you want to do it 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2024 at 9:36 AM, Cruise till you drop said:

From our experience, this does not sell out and they’re usually trying to fill spots as the cruise goes on. But if I were you, I would book early if you know for sure you want to do it 

And if possible try to grab a morning time when it isn’t so hot.  It gets really hot while working with the glass so cooler temps are better 

My husband and I would like to do this together but just make one piece.  Do we need to book the double or will they let us both participate and made one item?

Dang! I got so excited when I saw this thinking I’m doing it. Called our butler to find out about it and was told this is only on the Silhouette and Equinox. Was on the Silhouette last Fall. Guess I’m going to have to book another Silhouette cruise just to do this activity! 🤪

30 minutes ago, buzz031 said:

Dang! I got so excited when I saw this thinking I’m doing it. Called our butler to find out about it and was told this is only on the Silhouette and Equinox. Was on the Silhouette last Fall. Guess I’m going to have to book another Silhouette cruise just to do this activity! 🤪

It’s def not on Silhouette. Only Equinox, Eclipse and Solstice. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As some of you will remember, when the Hot Glass Show was originally introduced on the first three Solstice class ships, the program was managed by the famous Corning Museum of Glass.  Here is an old but interesting Q&A for prospective employees interested in taking an assignment on one of the Celebrity ships: link.  It is 4 pages long and has some interesting insights.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, melbrook said:

My husband and I would like to do this together but just make one piece.  Do we need to book the double or will they let us both participate and made one item?

You won't know for sure until you are there, but my guess would be that there isn't enough room for two people in the work space. Making a piece requires lots of movement and safety is a major concern. I suppose it's possible for the instructors to identify a point in time where one of you leaves the area and the other joins, but the pause in production might have an impact on the integrity of the product. Making my fish while on the Equinox last Feb was lots of fun and I'm looking forward to making another one when we cruise on the Eclipse this June. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 3/30/2024 at 9:19 AM, kathynorth said:

Does anyone know if there is a minimum age limit to the glass blowing class?

In answer to my question, we called Hollywood glass and asked this question. They indicated they don't have a minimum or maximum age limit in their land-based studio and don't have a formal policy for the ship-side program. However, ships may institute their own rules so we'll need to get our answer when we are onboard. 

Edited by kathynorth

2 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Equinox, Eclipse and Solstice

Wow, my butler gave us bad info? We were on the Eclipse too last Fall. 

Thanks for the info!

• Like 1