Save Lincoln Center Stage

xCaGrapeGrower

We understand that HAL is in the process of canceling Lincoln Center Stage (LCS), at least as we have known it.  Even though LCS is HAL's highest ranked entertainment.  ???  The friendly small area on the older ships is to be remodeled - into what we have not heard. 

Some officials say, and others do not, that the LCS presentations will be moved to the Main Stage, becoming just another act and appearing 2 - 3 times over 10 days or so before leaving.  That is unsatisfactory for many, obvious reasons (number of presentations, ambiance, will the best musicians appear, etc.), but also because the LCS musicians themselves say that they cannot play well as an ensemble on the Main Stage, because they cannot accurately hear each other's notes in that cavernous space (without mikes and headphones).

Please write HAL and complain.  Maybe something can be done. Thank you.

• Thanks 1

I am somewhat confused by all the questions on Lincoln Center Stage going away or being vastly reduced.  There was a Holland America Lines News Release just this past week that read as if LCS was going to remain a major entertainment focus of future cruses.  Our most recent HAL Cruise which put a halt to our frequent cruise vacations ended on March 1, 2020, just as COVID-19 began its worldwide spread.  That cruise was on the Niels Statendam, where we absolutely loved all the Lincoln Center Stage programs (Most especially the Meet the Musicians sessions).  

Edited by OneWiseCruiser
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, OneWiseCruiser said:

I am somewhat confused by all the questions on Lincoln Center Stage going away or being vastly reduced.  There was a Holland America Lines News Release just this past week that read as if LCS was going to remain a major entertainment focus of future cruses.  

I cannot find the news release.  Where is it? Thank you. 

I am in total agreement that losing this wonderful venue on the ship reduces the competitive advantage HAL has - at least in our minds. We always found the performances very relaxing and worthwhile. The cruise lines appear to be cutting out the very things we really enjoy about cruising vs land vacations. The recent announcement from Norwegian Cruise lines about laying off many of their entertainment employees is a prime example. What's the best way to contact HAL to express an opinion - ie writing them at what address?

36 minutes ago, Mr and Mrs CIQ said:

The problem with this transition is three fold, and both evolve around the nature of chamber music.

In my opinion, it is best enjoyed in intimate venues.

1) The small LCS will be disappearing. The LCS we are used to and enjoy so much has been lost.

2) The size and potential amplification on the MainStage is contrary to the nature of chamber music.

3) For us, the LCS performances before the MDR were a perfect setting.

Will we attend LC performances on the MainStage once or twice a week, certainly. Do we regret losing the nightly LCS performances before dinner, absolutely!

Shame on HAL for not listening to its customers with this change.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aardvark2300 said:

I am in total agreement that losing this wonderful venue on the ship reduces the competitive advantage HAL has - at least in our minds. We always found the performances very relaxing and worthwhile. The cruise lines appear to be cutting out the very things we really enjoy about cruising vs land vacations. The recent announcement from Norwegian Cruise lines about laying off many of their entertainment employees is a prime example. What's the best way to contact HAL to express an opinion - ie writing them at what address?

Here's what we wrote, although I think it's a done deal:

Mr. Gus Antorcha, President of HAL; and Ms. Jan Swartz, Group President of HAL, Princess, etc:

450 3rd Ave W.

Seattle, WA 98119

Please do not remove the intimate venue, “Lincoln Center Stage,” from your Signature and Vista Class ships!  It will be a huge mistake!

In the new Pinnacle Class ships, where Lincoln Center Stage shares a two-story stage with other musical groups (i.e., the LOUD groups), the intimacy of chamber music is completely lost.  Rumor has it that your new plan is to put two classical musicians on the Showroom stage a couple of times per cruise.  UGH!  Rumor also has it that this change is due to only one man, who apparently doesn’t appreciate how meaningful LCS is to many of your passengers. For the dedicated, passionate lovers of classical music and popular music specially arranged for a chamber quartet, there will be nothing in the way of almost daily entertainment. (“Coloring Books for Adults?” You must be kidding!)  We go to almost every performance, appreciating this elegant, contemplative and “quieter” form of music, as opposed to your loud, so-called “Music Walk.”  What distinguishes HAL from Princess or Celebrity?  Lincoln Center Stage!  Compared with all of the other performance venues onboard, LCS is the gem.  The quartet during our cruises on Noordam (October 8, 2022 – January 2, 2023) has been superb.  HAL was fortunate to engage these four talented professionals: Alexander Lee, Alice Martelli, Aleksandra Gargol and Eric Haugen!  (We first saw Alex, Alice and Aleks on Rotterdam in May 2022.)  We will try to follow their careers, but it would be even better to see and hear them, and other similarly excellent musicians, again in the future in the presently configured LCS venue.

Writing this letter is an exercise in futility, we fear, because a corporate decision to make this change may be cast in concrete.  If it isn’t, add our plea to what I hope is a chorus of other chamber music-lovers who are as deeply dismayed and disappointed as we are with your proposed dreadful change to LCS.  Of all the entertainment venues and performers on your ships, this is the only one that adds “class” to your offerings.  You should keep LCS exactly as it is on your Signature and Vista Class ships!!!

Most sincerely,

Alson and Martha Kemp 

P.S. These four musicians (Alex, Alice, Aleks and Eric) were so enterprising that they learned and rehearsed additional music scored for chamber quartets so that their audience (and they, themselves) would not be bored by repetitious programs.  They are truly remarkable!

P.P.S. At the conclusion of this evening’s final performance on January 1st there wasn’t a dry eye in the audience.  Everyone knew what will be lost if the one narrowly focused, bean-counting individual does away with this magical haven for classically trained and talented musicians.  Don’t do it!  Do not take away LCS!!!

• Like 4

I like LCS but I do not like the venue. There are often too few seats unless I get there got there very early and I do not like people walking by me all the time during the performance. A larger, more private venue is sorely needed. The main stage seems ideal.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

I like LCS but I do not like the venue. There are often too few seats unless I get there got there very early and I do not like people walking by me all the time during the performance. A larger, more private venue is sorely needed. The main stage seems ideal.

The venue on the newer Pinnacle Class ships seems to me to be just the right size. The shoe boxes on the smaller ships are a joke.

On another point, passengers should start complaining about the lack of real entertainment in the Main Showroom, BBC TV shows with thousands of snakes chasing and eating baby iguanas is not entertainment nor is the History of Holland America which is something to be shown maybe in the afternoon in a smaller venue as part of an enrichment series.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We had just discovered HAL, on Noordam's NZ/Australia cruise in Dec, 2019, so that was our only time, for obvious timing reasons.  (We have not returned to travel yet, being high risk, etc.)

We usually sail with Oceania, on their [relatively!] larger ships (~1200 pax), unless there is something special, such as Hurtigruten's Norwegian Coastal round trip, or any very special itinerary.

That was why we chose HAL in 2019.  DH noticed an ad (I didn't know he looked at ads, but I digress... 😉 ), with the itinerary and particularly the timing.  We had been "HAL-curious" a bit anyway...

So we grabbed one of the few remaining Neptune Suites, and got our awards first/business air tickets all settled.

It was a wonderful cruise.

And we attended every classical LCS performance.  I was the person (some may remember!) who arrived *very* early, with a nice book, to get two front row, center seats.  Everything was just perfect!  We were so impressed with the quality of the LCS musicians; we had not expected much, actually.

So DH directed:  Let's start sailing with HAL now, because... well, we are classical music nuts!  ("And proud of it!" 🙂 )

We were just starting to look for future cruises to book, long delayed since the before times...

And now?
Back to Oceania, where we had been very happy. 

However, their little chamber group, with assorted "musical presentations" cannot compare with serious musicians in a chamber concert environment, vs. "wandering by", etc., or briefly during a snack, etc.

We were more than willing to give up the extra amenities of Oceania to be able to mix our beloved classical music with our wonderful travels!

Yes, without LCS - a *serious* LCS! - we will only be back to HAL if there is some itinerary or scheduling that we simply cannot get on O.  And of course, we haven't run out of ideas based upon O's offerings.

Booking a cruise on HAL and "hoping that maybe, just maybe, the chamber musicians will show up a few times as they travel from ship to ship"?  Nope.

Or that it is a big stage, large venue with microphones, etc.? Better than nothing, but still not the same... plus apparently it wouldn't be definite anyway.  So, Nope again.

What a shame.  We both thought we had found a new "cruise home"!

We are seriously disappointed.

GC

• Like 2

I think for the Vista and R-class ships the change of venue to the World Stage will save Lincoln Center on those ships.  So, better than nothing.  I wait to see what actually happens and will be happy with some limited Lincoln Centre (not clear on what is really meant by a "travelling ensemble").  

BTW: for those ships I think the Explorers Lounge does not work well. Too crowded, SRO almost all the time, complaints about noise from people walking along the hallway, very little in the way of bar service. The World Stage could be an improvement. I hope the music is not amplified, though.

I avoid the dangerous db level of the Music (Noise) Walk on the Pinnacle-class ships, but never miss a LCS performance.  Not overly fond of the LCS venues on the other classes of ships due to the seating arrangement but still attend performances. As others have correctly noted, chamber music does not lend itself to the large space of the World Stage due to the acoustic characteristics of that space.  Chamber music staged correctly is NEVER amplified.

Edited by AV8rix
  • Like 4

Chamber music requires an intimate setting. Not a main stage and definitely NO use microphones to fill a larger acoustically dead space.  

Chamber music (quartet or duo)  is not a performance; it is an experience.  Handle with care, because it is an evening delight for so many HAL passengers. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

The venue on the newer Pinnacle Class ships seems to me to be just the right size. The shoe boxes on the smaller ships are a joke.

On another point, passengers should start complaining about the lack of real entertainment in the Main Showroom, BBC TV shows with thousands of snakes chasing and eating baby iguanas is not entertainment nor is the History of Holland America which is something to be shown maybe in the afternoon in a smaller venue as part of an enrichment series.

Does adult colouring count as entertainment?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, xCaGrapeGrower said:

Here's what we wrote, although I think it's a done deal:

Mr. Gus Antorcha, President of HAL; and Ms. Jan Swartz, Group President of HAL, Princess, etc:

450 3rd Ave W.

Seattle, WA 98119

Please do not remove the intimate venue, “Lincoln Center Stage,” from your Signature and Vista Class ships!  It will be a huge mistake!

In the new Pinnacle Class ships, where Lincoln Center Stage shares a two-story stage with other musical groups (i.e., the LOUD groups), the intimacy of chamber music is completely lost.  Rumor has it that your new plan is to put two classical musicians on the Showroom stage a couple of times per cruise.  UGH!  Rumor also has it that this change is due to only one man, who apparently doesn’t appreciate how meaningful LCS is to many of your passengers. For the dedicated, passionate lovers of classical music and popular music specially arranged for a chamber quartet, there will be nothing in the way of almost daily entertainment. (“Coloring Books for Adults?” You must be kidding!)  We go to almost every performance, appreciating this elegant, contemplative and “quieter” form of music, as opposed to your loud, so-called “Music Walk.”  What distinguishes HAL from Princess or Celebrity?  Lincoln Center Stage!  Compared with all of the other performance venues onboard, LCS is the gem.  The quartet during our cruises on Noordam (October 8, 2022 – January 2, 2023) has been superb.  HAL was fortunate to engage these four talented professionals: Alexander Lee, Alice Martelli, Aleksandra Gargol and Eric Haugen!  (We first saw Alex, Alice and Aleks on Rotterdam in May 2022.)  We will try to follow their careers, but it would be even better to see and hear them, and other similarly excellent musicians, again in the future in the presently configured LCS venue.

Writing this letter is an exercise in futility, we fear, because a corporate decision to make this change may be cast in concrete.  If it isn’t, add our plea to what I hope is a chorus of other chamber music-lovers who are as deeply dismayed and disappointed as we are with your proposed dreadful change to LCS.  Of all the entertainment venues and performers on your ships, this is the only one that adds “class” to your offerings.  You should keep LCS exactly as it is on your Signature and Vista Class ships!!!

Most sincerely,

Alson and Martha Kemp 

P.S. These four musicians (Alex, Alice, Aleks and Eric) were so enterprising that they learned and rehearsed additional music scored for chamber quartets so that their audience (and they, themselves) would not be bored by repetitious programs.  They are truly remarkable!

P.P.S. At the conclusion of this evening’s final performance on January 1st there wasn’t a dry eye in the audience.  Everyone knew what will be lost if the one narrowly focused, bean-counting individual does away with this magical haven for classically trained and talented musicians.  Don’t do it!  Do not take away LCS!!!

I totally agree with you. Let us know if he gets back to you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bdd123 said:

He won't.

My previous emails to Mr. Antorcha have always been answered by someone in guest services, often with lengthy delays.

Edited by mwj
typo
  • Like 2