Need Transportation and Hotel suggestions - Heathrow/London/Southampton

My husband and I are sailing out of Southampton to Fort Lauderdale in October. We fly into Heathrow 2 days before the cruise so we need transportation to hotel in London, and also transportation from London to Southampton on day of cruise.  My questions are:

What are some hotel options (moderate pricing) with ease to transportation as well as sightseeing.

What should we use from Heathrow to Hotel and from Hotel to Southampton?

Thank you in advance

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SDCB432 said:

My husband and I are sailing out of Southampton to Fort Lauderdale in October. We fly into Heathrow 2 days before the cruise so we need transportation to hotel in London, and also transportation from London to Southampton on day of cruise.  My questions are:

What are some hotel options (moderate pricing) with ease to transportation as well as sightseeing.

Thank you in advance

With cases, the easiest and most cost effective way into London is the Heathrow Express, which is direct from LHR to Paddington Station. Your other options are:

- London Underground - cheapest option, but tough with cases

- Executive car hire - personally, in London we use Addison Lee, which have reasonable prices and great service. Can be booked online.

- Bus - National Express operate bus service to central London. Never used this option, so can't comment.

Hotels - reasonable prices are available from both Travelodge & Premier Inn.

When doing a similar journey a few years ago, we utilised this option:

- Booked with AirPortr to pick up our cases immediately on exiting customs and ship them to the hotel. Takes about 5 hrs

- Head down to the Tube, purchased and loaded an Oyster Card and took the Tube to Waterloo Station

- Walked the few hundred yards from Waterloo Station to the Travelodge Waterloo. Not the greatest hotel, but reasonably comfortable, with breakfast included.

- Used the Oyster card for our few days of Tube travel in London.

- Last day, walked to Waterloo Station, cashed in the Oyster card and caught the train to Southampton.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 10:53 AM, SDCB432 said:

Thank you in advance

I agree with Heidi.  Heathrow Express to London then cab to hotel.  I would not hesitate to use the National Express from London to Southampton or take the train then cab to ship.  Public transport in London is very good…no need for a private transport.  Hotels are many in London just go on line and take your pick.  There are some that are very reasonable and you’ll find the Tube connections are easy.

Thirding the train to Soton (Southampton) from London. There are trains running almost every hour, and the cab from the Soton train station to any of the cruise terminals will be likely under 10-15 GBP. Make sure you know which terminal you'll be departing from, as some of them are a significant trek from others. 

Do keep an eye on rail and Tube strikes, though, as well as works that might interrupt your travel.  

The train to Soton from London departs from Waterloo, which connects with the Northern, Bakerloo, and Jubilee Tube lines, so if your hotel is near a station on one of those lines, it should be a relatively easy trek. 

Cruising out of Miami Fl celebrity silhouette 4/20/23 want to spend a few days in London prior to departure home around May 5 th would love Tap transportation, information, as well as sightseeing, hotels, etc. thanks in advance so much

40 minutes ago, jodaytona said:

Cruising out of Miami Fl celebrity silhouette 4/20/23 want to spend a few days in London prior to departure home around May 5 th would love Tap transportation, information, as well as sightseeing, hotels, etc. thanks in advance so much

taxi to the train or bus station 

try londontoolkit.com  lots of info

You can also get  a transfer coach that stops at Stonehenge on the way

Just depends on what you want to see & do in London

they also have a HOHO bus & boat ride  on the Thames

• 3 weeks later...

We are on this cruise as well, staying three nights post cruise in London.

As LHT28 mentioned, we did used Londontoolkit.com to book our transfer with a stop at Stonehenge and Windsor with a drop off at our hotel in London. 

I have been making reservations at spots we want to visit since the Kings Coronation is on the 6th (the day we return home) but I figured the crowds would be building through the week.

• 2 weeks later...

We have stayed in three different Premier Inns in London and have been very pleased. Check out their locations. It depends on what you want to see.

We also take the tube around- it takes about a day to get proficient. We have used the National Express system twice with no problems. People in Europe use trains and buses much more frequently than many of us in the USA. It was prompt, clean, and inexpensive. We taxied to the station from our hotel.

We have also used England's train system to go to York, Canterbury, and Hampton Palace. All easy, very good experiences.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

another option away from LHR is the Elizabeth Line.  This is a new National Rail offering which brings you into London and points eastward.  If you book a hotel near any of the Liz line stations you can proceed directly from the train  The train and their associated stations are large and room and step free with elevators.

It is only slightly slower than Heathrow Express and much less expensive. You have the advantage of moving into the core and eastern edge of the area rather than transferring at Paddington ( a station I really have never enjoyed) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...