Food and dining on P&O ships

Tablelamp

We always go for fixed dinning  table for two but if its only freedom available and you want to eat early that's why you have to be early, if you cannot use the app to pre book you had to queue to get the table for two on aurora and arcadia different on Iona and arvia as it's all freedom dinning 

• Thanks 1

If you are looking for a quiet lunch on embarkation I’m not sure that The Quays will suit. We walked past on 11Feb, our B2B changeover day. To say it was mobbed is an understatement- there must have been at least 109 people queuing- the queues for the 3 stations ran into each other and were several deep. The queue for fish and chips extended almost to the end of Sindhu- (the neighbouring restaurant for those who haven’t been on Iona/Arvia yet. It may be more civilised on a quieter cruise- I don’t know what it was like on our embarkation 2 weeks earlier. 

59 minutes ago, scarlet ohara said:

If you are looking for a quiet lunch on embarkation I’m not sure that The Quays will suit. We walked past on 11Feb, our B2B changeover day. To say it was mobbed is an understatement- there must have been at least 109 people queuing- the queues for the 3 stations ran into each other and were several deep. The queue for fish and chips extended almost to the end of Sindhu- (the neighbouring restaurant for those who haven’t been on Iona/Arvia yet. It may be more civilised on a quieter cruise- I don’t know what it was like on our embarkation 2 weeks earlier. 

Oh dear. That’s another cunning plan scuppered. 109 in the queue? That’s very specific. I come up with stats like that. My wife has told me a million times not to exaggerate 😂

20 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Oh dear. That’s another cunning plan scuppered. 109 in the queue? That’s very specific. I come up with stats like that. My wife has told me a million times not to exaggerate 😂

Oops, that’s a typo!! Unfortunately I don’t think about a 100 is an exaggeration- we couldn’t believe what we were seeing. We never saw it as busy any other time, although it was always busier than the previous cruise - we usually only had breakfast there 

• Like 1

Thank you to all whose comments I've read here ! On Iona in 5 days' time - frankly...DREADING the whole experience after all I've seen/read online.

On my favourite line, MSC, as most probably on others, your 'set' dining time/table is generally a huge comfort.

I really quite liked the idea of 'freedom' dining, but the reality (+ the utter uncertainty of ever getting a booking in a 'speciality restaurant', most of whch will only open on embarkation day & get snapped up by priority boarders) means a disproportionate percentage of the success of the cruise depends on whether you have ANY joy getting on the 'app' & reserving things once onboard (yes, have booked a few dinners/shows in advance, but on a 14 night cruise, not enough to feel confident of a successful holiday, since so much is 'enquire onboard').

4 minutes ago, CliveJ said:

Thank you to all whose comments I've read here ! On Iona in 5 days' time - frankly...DREADING the whole experience after all I've seen/read online.

On my favourite line, MSC, as most probably on others, your 'set' dining time/table is generally a huge comfort.

I really quite liked the idea of 'freedom' dining, but the reality (+ the utter uncertainty of ever getting a booking in a 'speciality restaurant', most of whch will only open on embarkation day & get snapped up by priority boarders) means a disproportionate percentage of the success of the cruise depends on whether you have ANY joy getting on the 'app' & reserving things once onboard (yes, have booked a few dinners/shows in advance, but on a 14 night cruise, not enough to feel confident of a successful holiday, since so much is 'enquire onboard').

Like you, I’m apprehensive about our Iona cruise and, in all honesty, wish we hadn’t booked it, but ours is in the August school holidays. I wouldn’t be anywhere near as worried if we were on her when you are and would happily book an off peak cruise on Iona. Take a look at the current live blog on the Arvia Caribbean thread. The poster is having a fabulous time and has experienced few, if any, problems.

I also don’t like the idea of having to faff about with apps etc when we are used to just wandering in to the main dining room when we fancy, but non-peak cruises (which yours will be) seem to be OK. You can book many of the Speciality restaurants via your cruise Personaliser before you board, but if you are leaving it until you board (maybe because you have a lot of on board credit?) if you book as soon as you board I suspect you will be successful. 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 3:05 PM, Britboys said:

I've read elsewhere that use of the 'app' is no longer necessary on Aurora but don't have personal recent experience.

It was not necessary on Azura when I sailed on her last September. I had problems with the "app" as reception was very poor in my cabin and I kept getting signed out; the only place I could get reasonable reception was right next to the door! So I asked the Restaurant manager if I could do it the old fashioned way, just turn up and get a pager if I could not be seated. He said yes so that is what I did from then on. And most of the time I was seated straight away.

Edited by Denarius
typo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Like you, I’m apprehensive about our Iona cruise and, in all honesty, wish we hadn’t booked it, but ours is in the August school holidays. I wouldn’t be anywhere near as worried if we were on her when you are and would happily book an off peak cruise on Iona. Take a look at the current live blog on the Arvia Caribbean thread. The poster is having a fabulous time and has experienced few, if any, problems.

I also don’t like the idea of having to faff about with apps etc when we are used to just wandering in to the main dining room when we fancy, but non-peak cruises (which yours will be) seem to be OK. You can book many of the Speciality restaurants via your cruise Personaliser before you board, but if you are leaving it until you board (maybe because you have a lot of on board credit?) if you book as soon as you board I suspect you will be successful. 

Yes, Sir - if not for the remarkable full board price (£585 for a fortnight...SOLO - yes, I know comparing prices is iniquitous, but it's relevant here) I would not be in this position. Have booked all I want/can in advance, but have NO confidence in, frankly, anything else. Perhaps for that price I don't deserve to, but it's not an inconsiderable sum for a pensioner....and, generally, when you book a holiday on sea or land you know what your restrictions/limitations are. Here, I'm guessing.

Will try to get back on CC after return, in order to give those cruising later in the year, like yourselves, a clearer picture of what actually transpired ! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I also don’t like the idea of having to faff about with apps etc when we are used to just wandering in to the main dining room when we fancy, but non-peak cruises (which yours will be) seem to be OK. You can book many of the Speciality restaurants via your cruise Personaliser before you board

Unfortunately whether we like it or not mass market cruise lines seem all to be heading this way if not already operative. Princess have had their Medallion Class on operation since at least 2019. Theirs is a proper App unlike P&Os and you download it at home pre cruise and can book MDR times and theatres weeks before your cruise. Eventually P&O will expand theirs into a proper App and others will follow suit.

19 minutes ago, CliveJ said:

Yes, Sir - if not for the remarkable full board price (£585 for a fortnight...SOLO - yes, I know comparing prices is iniquitous, but it's relevant here) I would not be in this position. Have booked all I want/can in advance, but have NO confidence in, frankly, anything else. Perhaps for that price I don't deserve to, but it's not an inconsiderable sum for a pensioner....and, generally, when you book a holiday on sea or land you know what your restrictions/limitations are. Here, I'm guessing.

Will try to get back on CC after return, in order to give those cruising later in the year, like yourselves, a clearer picture of what actually transpired ! 

Great price Clive but you still deserve a great holiday whatever you paid and you're right, it's still not an inconsiderable sum. I hope you end up being pleasantly surprised and have a lovely holiday. As Selbourne advised, do read the blog from the current Arvia Caribbean cruise. They are having a wonderful time. You're travelling out of season so it shouldn't be too packed on board and if you have trouble with the app ask Reception to help. Do let us know how you get on. Bon voyage and best wishes. Jane x

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Great price Clive but you still deserve a great holiday whatever you paid and you're right, it's still not an inconsiderable sum. I hope you end up being pleasantly surprised and have a lovely holiday. As Selbourne advised, do read the blog from the current Arvia Caribbean cruise. They are having a wonderful time. You're travelling out of season so it shouldn't be too packed on board and if you have trouble with the app ask Reception to help. Do let us know how you get on. Bon voyage and best wishes. Jane x

Kind of you, Jane. I don't seem to be having a lot of joy with my opinions on CC tonight.

Don't desperately care...not a lot else to do when you're old but to be a bit contentious & see what happens !

Haven't actually checked the Arvia postings...will do so, though of course circumstances dictate (& recent YT vlogs suggest the Iona cruise on Mar. 4th could be packed out !).

The app ? Yep, sure, will ask as/when necessary. Well aware IT has its uses...but perhaps not for old idiots like me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CliveJ said:

Don't be afraid

Weve barely seen a queue worth mentioning so far on Arvia

If you can't  book any of the restaurants you like on the app go and speak to the  specific restaurant managers. 

If you are able to sit down early 6pm to 6.30pm I predict they will find you spaces. Weve booked a 6.30pm at Sindhu and 6pm at epicurean like that. We also got in the 710 club just by asking if they had any space and without a booking at 7pm

The managers want to help you if they can 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Don't be afraid

Weve barely seen a queue worth mentioning so far on Arvia

If you can't  book any of the restaurants you like on the app go and speak to the  specific restaurant managers. 

If you are able to sit down early 6pm to 6.30pm I predict they will find you spaces. Weve booked a 6.30pm at Sindhu and 6pm at epicurean like that. We also got in the 710 club just by asking if they had any space and without a booking at 7pm

The managers want to help you if they can 

Kind of you, Sir/Ma'am !

Fair point too - if in doubt, speak to a real person ! May even work ! 

If, as it seems, you're on Arvia now, hope you continue to have an excellent time. Thank you !

• Like 2

On 2/27/2023 at 7:11 PM, majortom10 said:

Unfortunately whether we like it or not mass market cruise lines seem all to be heading this way if not already operative. Princess have had their Medallion Class on operation since at least 2019. Theirs is a proper App unlike P&Os and you download it at home pre cruise and can book MDR times and theatres weeks before your cruise. Eventually P&O will expand theirs into a proper App and others will follow suit.

I'm on britannia in april.Can I book the beach house and sindu in Advance on my personal planner 2 weeks before or do I have to wait till onboard?

1 hour ago, Just 47 said:

I'm on britannia in april.Can I book the beach house and sindu in Advance on my personal planner 2 weeks before or do I have to wait till onboard?

On your Cruise Planner, yes; but only if they are available.

Sindhu is one that is sometimes available to book, and it has been for me on both Arvia and Britannia.

Beach House tends not to open for bookings until you are onboard.

All will be revealed two weeks before.

2 hours ago, Just 47 said:

If same as Iona you will be able to book Sindhu in advance but Beach House not until onboard.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

If same as Iona you will be able to book Sindhu in advance but Beach House not until onboard.

On Iona at present and despite all the hype about spec restaurants being fully booked by 4:00 pm on embarkation day, that is a certainly not the case on this cruise. There is plenty of availability even into the 2nd week for most venues.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

On Iona at present and despite all the hype about spec restaurants being fully booked by 4:00 pm on embarkation day, that is a certainly not the case on this cruise. There is plenty of availability even into the 2nd week for most venues.

Is ship full?

I usually book a mixture of Select and Early saver fares however I prefer Freedom dining.

With Early saver fares I have previously booked, on Ventura I was lucky and was allocated Freedom dining, on Arvia and Iona, no problem as they only have Freedom dining.

I now have a cruise booked with an Early Saver fare on Britannia, the cruise receipt came with a link for Early Saver dining preferences: www.pocruises.com/early-saver-dining which sends me to: https://secure.cunard.com/earlysaverdining I enter my cruise details and get an error.

My booking confirmation says:

Dining Request /

Table Size - Requested, not confirmed

So how do I request a dining preference

Another Select fare I have also booked on Britannia seems to have automatically allocated me Freedom dining, my booking confirmation says:

Dining Request Freedom Dining / Confirmed

TIA

Paul

Edited by GOQ
added