Starlink High Speed Internet Coming to HAL

Crazy For Cats

8 minutes ago, Alphen said:

I am no technical buff, but I don’t think changing services requires antenna change, just receiver or decoder, I think.

I don't claim to be a technical buff either, but I seem to remember a picture the Celebrity Edge when they were rolling out Starlink and they showed a picture of some hardware mounted on top of the ship.  Maybe it was just fluff, or maybe I was duped (not the first time) or maybe my memory is failing me (again not the first time) but I thought perhaps some technical guru might know something.

5 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Thanks, now we know what to look for on the other ships.  Perhaps someone currently on the Rotterdam can take a picture of this area on the ship.  This looks like these are located on the track near the sliding opening above the pool.

Edited by Ipeeinthepools

3 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Thanks, now we know what to look for on the other ships.  Perhaps someone currently on the Rotterdam can take a picture of this area on the ship.  This looks like these are located on the track near the sliding opening above the pool.

So you don’t believe a captain 🤔 what is the world coming to😂

8 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Ok i will go up and have a look and see if those strange looking receptors are anywhere.  It may be a day or two as, at the moment the fog horn is blaring and it is difficult to see anything.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Alphen said:

So you don’t believe a captain 🤔 what is the world coming to😂

I believe what was published to both the CCL and Holland America official press releases over hearsay.  Why would dozens of news articles state Koningsdam was the first if, in reality, Rotterdam had it months earlier? Of course, I don't trust the press to always get it right either but in this case, the preponderance of the evidence is that Rotterdam didn't have it installed last October. But I do acknowledge that the Official Press Releases could be mistaken ;-).

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/news/2023-press-releases/news-051623-starlink-launches-koningsdam.html

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/early-feedback-positive-holland-america-line-installs-spacexs-0#:~:text=SEATTLE%2C May 16%2C 2023 %2FPRNewswire%2F -- Holland America,drydock and has been operating for four weeks.

14 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I'm not convinced this is the only antennas used by starlink as it's just one data set, but I am 100% convinced that starlink is on Koningsdam.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Does Starlink have a unique antenna that we look for on the ships to confirm the statements on Starlink?

54 minutes ago, Alphen said:

I am no technical buff, but I don’t think changing services requires antenna change, just receiver or decoder, I think.

It would require different sat dishes, but they would most likely be under the 'golf ball' on the top of the ship so not visible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richwmn said:

It would require different sat dishes, but they would most likely be under the 'golf ball' on the top of the ship so not visible.

That is what i was thinking but i will still have a look for the flat head antenna.

34 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Ok i will go up and have a look and see if those strange looking receptors are anywhere.  It may be a day or two as, at the moment the fog horn is blaring and it is difficult to see anything.

Thanks.  We were on the Rotterdam in August and I spent a fair amount of time walking around the track and I don't seem to remember seeing those type of flat head devices but I look forward to the results of your search.

Thanks

5 hours ago, richwmn said:

Due to the difference in technology I believe that the sat domes are not required for Starlink. When using the IMARSAT geostationary sats, the ship locks onto a single satellite which is in orbit about 22,000 miles above sea level at the Equator. This provides a fixed point above the earth. Since the ship moves, the dish must be in gimbles to maintain the fixed point and also slew the azimuth, as the ship's head changes.

This is similar to receiving satellite TV, where you have to aim the dish to maximise the signal.

My understanding of Starlink is that it is similar to GPS, in that you receive signals from multiple sats concurrently, that are above the horizon. Therefore the dish is simply aimed up at the sky and not at a specific satellite, since they are not geo-stationary, as they move across the sky. Since the Starlink dish is not aimed at a fixed point, it does not require gimbles or a slewing mechanism.

Our son uses Starlink on his boat, with a single receiver, and he positions it towards the sky with no obstructions. No aiming of the dish required.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, firsttimer1971 said:

If I check the Wi-Fi & Internet Plans on the (Dutch) HAL website it also says:image.png.cde9ee5f2d2668b10e726b9e3c15cbb3.png

The good thing is that for Hulu & Prime Video (and maybe Netflix but I didn't check since I don't have it) is that you can download stuff so you can watch it offline.  Similarly with most streaming services.

• Like 2

On Rotterdam now. As has been reported, currently using Equinix. I have been on ships using StarLink and you could definitely see StarLink when using SpeedSmart to test the Wi-Fi speed.

Concerning streaming- I had to upgrade to Premium to use calling. First you turn on Wi-Fi and then your vpn. I use PIA and it works fine. Netflix, YouTube TV working with vpn turned on. Apple+ works without the vpn. Amazon does not work with vpn but some shows are available. 

Talked to concierge in Lounge. She stated that StarLink is being installed on HAL ships during dry docks. They are all looking forward to having it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

The good thing is that for Hulu & Prime Video (and maybe Netflix but I didn't check since I don't have it) is that you can download stuff so you can watch it offline.  Similarly with most streaming services.

The same goes for Netflix & HBO Max. However, the issue is that the downloads "expire" after some time and depending on how long your cruise is, they might expire before the cruise is done.

20 hours ago, richwmn said:

I don't think this is accurate. Here are photos of starlink after installation on an RCL ships.

image.png.ce64e0cd2b179e70a201eedd1870c2b1.png

And here's a photo of starlink dishes on the Koningsdam

image.png.b5945f0c2cc0c7f69357d23ff6b1dce3.png

Edited to add....... what @Heidi13 said 😄 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

And here's a photo of starlink dishes on the Koningsdam

18 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The Starlink receivers are a fantastic bit of technology that include 1,280 tiny antennae arranged in a honeycomb shape, on those flat + stationary bases (as shown on the Koningsdam above). They only need line-of-sight and not directional positioning, making them much smaller and more reliable, and given the huge bump in tech they're much more efficient (AKA faster, lower powered) than the previous generation.

Unfortunately, the Nieuw Statendam we were on earlier this month did not yet have Starlink, so our connectivity was much slower than when we were on the Koningsdam in April. Luckily the retrofit for these is straightforward and I expect the entire fleet will be done by mid 2024 (given what we've seen so far).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, travelers07 said:

Talked to concierge in Lounge. She stated that StarLink is being installed on HAL ships during dry docks. They are all looking forward to having it. 

Can you ask the concierge to let the captain know that his ship doesn’t have starlink yet? Apparently he thinks it does 😉 

(I hope it’s obvious I’m just joking)

10 hours ago, firsttimer1971 said:

The same goes for Netflix & HBO Max. However, the issue is that the downloads "expire" after some time and depending on how long your cruise is, they might expire before the cruise is done.

But does the ship's internet block downloading content as compared to streaming it?  I don't know the answer to that.

But if it doesn't then you could just download again, or download something else.  Other than Netflix, it seems like 30 days is the norm, at least for Hulu, max, peacock, and paramount plus.

• Like 1

They installed Starlink on the Oosterdam during August. Midship, both sides, outboard on a platform. Five posts with hardware as pictured above in #67. Did most of the work while in port. Download significantly faster, upload about the same as old.

• Like 3

[Quote]

Holland America Line has completed SpaceX’s Starlink onboard half of its fleet of 11 ships.

The first ship to receive Starlink internet was the Koningsdam. Now, the Oosterdam, Volendam, Westerdam, Zaandam and the Zuiderdam all have this high-speed connectivity onboard.

“Our goal is to continue keeping all guests connected to the internet to share their memorable experiences, and to allow our team members to stay in touch with their loved ones back home,” said Kathleen Erickson, vice president of technology for Holland America Line. “It’s important we stay up to date with evolving technology to ensure the best experience for everyone stepping foot on our ships.”

The remaining Holland America Line ships are scheduled to have Starlink internet installed by mid-December 2023.

[/quote]

Source:
https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2023/10/holland-america-completes-starlink-installation-on-half-its-fleet/

• Like 4

On 9/27/2023 at 10:54 AM, Alphen said:

Rotterdam was reported to have it October last year, as stated by the captain on board when we sailed her, captain Werner Timmers.

Does anyone else think it's a mere coincidence that we were having the discussion about whether or not Rotterdam had starlink last week and presto~ like magic~ multiple articles get published today??

On 9/27/2023 at 11:09 AM, BermudaBound2014 said:

It would be nice if HAL published an updated list. I would think if HAL was busy installing starlink on so many other ships there would be additional press releases. It's good publicity in a time when the stock is struggling. 

A little creepy lol.  We had this discussion less than a week ago. Here's the official press release on CCL. HAL can't be monitoring this site, can they? 😄 

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/holland-america-line-successfully-installs-spacexs-starlink

• Haha 1