Yummy snacks in the bar?

Many years ago, we got into the habit of requesting that yummy snack mix in the Vikings Crown lounge (back when every ship we went on, had it).  Then, we sort of just forgot about the snacks.

My question is- do any of the bars still do this?  Which ships have you experienced this on?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

I haven’t seen this in years. I suspect the bean counters killed this off a long time ago. Also, probably wouldn’t exist in a pandemic / endemic. 

I'm usually hypercritical of removing things.  Especially that are/were customary, like nuts and pretzels on a bar.  BUT, I was never a big fan of reaching into a bowl of nuts, chips, pretzels, or popcorn that just about everybody else reaches into with their bare hands just after leaving the restroom, picking their nose, scratching, never mind.  I say, "good riddance".  Individual packets would be fine and appreciated, though.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I'm usually hypercritical of removing things.  Especially that are/were customary, like nuts and pretzels on a bar.  BUT, I was never a big fan of reaching into a bowl of nuts, chips, pretzels, or popcorn that just about everybody else reaches into with their bare hands just after leaving the restroom, picking their nose, scratching, never mind.  I say, "good riddance".  Individual packets would be fine and appreciated, though.

We no longer dip into shared snack bowls in bars. Once saw a woman eat nuts from a spoon like it was cereal and then replace the spoon. The bowl was passed around the bar after.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Exactly why they did individual small containers.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Try not to think about:

* Elevator buttons

* Door handles

* Railings

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Pub on Odyssey has a great affordable snack menu. Playmaker's is good as well, but a little pricier. Giovanni's Wine Bar has a nice menu as well

And a great wine selection.   Was our go to spot for happy hour on Odyssey.  🙂 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

We no longer dip into shared snack bowls in bars. Once saw a woman eat nuts from a spoon like it was cereal and then replace the spoon. The bowl was passed around the bar after.

Scream!!!!!!

6 hours ago, Tlbecker1 said:

We have been offered nuts in the Schooner bar each night on the Radiance for the last 2 weeks.  They bring out separate glass carafes to each table.

The British bars onboard used to serve a very good trail mix in carafes -- we always used to liberate one to keep in our room, as we all LOVE trail mix.  This was pre-Covid, and I didn't consider the difficulties of sharing, but a carafe requires that you pour a bit out into your hand, which seems a bit "safer".  

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Try not to think about:

* Elevator buttons

* Door handles

* Railings

You can hit the elevator button with your elbow, eliminating one issue.  

4 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Exactly why they did individual small containers.

That's great.  But, if they have, I haven't seen them and I've been on two cruises post-COVID, Ovation and Independence.  And, I sat at a lot of bars and they had nothing salty to make you thirsty and want to drink more.  So, I hope you are talking about a new, relatively, way of doing things.

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Try not to think about:

* Elevator buttons

* Door handles

* Railings

LOL, that is correct.  They are just as nasty. 

However, I don't put any of those in my mouth and consume them.  Most of those locations have the "washy washy" gels available just after you us 'em.  Actually, you are never too far from a Sanitary Gel dispenser.  

I'm also very glad that most of the public restrooms have electric doors, just push the button with your elbow or paper towel ...........  At least on the newer ships.  

48 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

LOL, that is correct.  They are just as nasty. 

However, I don't put any of those in my mouth and consume them.  Most of those locations have the "washy washy" gels available just after you us 'em.  Actually, you are never too far from a Sanitary Gel dispenser.  

I'm also very glad that most of the public restrooms have electric doors, just push the button with your elbow or paper towel ...........  At least on the newer ships.  

I was told by head of housekeeping that the railings are the most sanitized items on the ship

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

That's great.  But, if they have, I haven't seen them and I've been on two cruises post-COVID, Ovation and Independence.  And, I sat at a lot of bars and they had nothing salty to make you thirsty and want to drink more.  So, I hope you are talking about a new, relatively, way of doing things.

No, the old days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

Scream!!!!!!

Oh no MP....your bucket list bucket looks empty!!!!  😨

39 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I was told by head of housekeeping that the railings are the most sanitized items on the ship

And whatever they are using to sanitize them.....makes them sticky!  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1