Is there any disadvantage to waiting and purchasing Princess Plus or Premier onboard?

TN-Mountains

4 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

That's interesting, Princess is still designating isolation areas. Hopefully, that's for the crew and they're letting passengers isolate in the cabin they paid for if they catch something they need to be isolated for. 

If one person in the cabin is positive, they can go into a cabin on the quarantine floor, if the other guest is negative.  Once the positive person tests negative, or on their 11th day, whichever comes first, they can go back to their original cabin.

If they both stay in the cabin, then they may be given an option to remain in their original cabin. But, then the negative

Person has to isolate also. 

So they need a quarantine deck.  

9 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

If one person in the cabin is positive, they can go into a cabin on the quarantine floor, if the other guest is negative.  Once the positive person tests negative, or on their 11th day, whichever comes first, they can go back to their original cabin.

If they both stay in the cabin, then they may be given an option to remain in their original cabin. But, then the negative

If that's what Princess currently thinks is best for their ships, that's fine. I just didn't see any "visible" quarantine areas on the Regal this past summer on our 21-day B3B in the Med, nor on our recent 38-day B2B on the NCL Jade in Nov-Dec, or on our 24-day Celebrity B2B this past August. Again, that's cool. It's their ship and thry have to deal with any outbreaks the best way they know how.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

Just now, Ken the cruiser said:

If that's what Princess currently thinks is best for their ships, that's fine. I just didn't see any "visible" quarantine areas on the Regal this past summer on our 21-day B3B in the Med, nor on our recent 38-day B2B on the NCL Jade in Nov-Dec, or on our 24-day Celebrity B2B this past August. Again, that's cool. 

We are off topic, I apologize to the OP.

But, they are discreet. I know from last month, due to friends in quarantine.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If that's what Princess currently thinks is best for their ships, that's fine. I just didn't see any "visible" quarantine areas on the Regal this past summer on our 21-day B3B in the Med, nor on our recent 38-day B2B on the NCL Jade in Nov-Dec, or on our 24-day Celebrity B2B this past August. Again, that's cool. It's their ship and thry have to deal with any outbreaks the best way they know how.

On our Royal b2b one entire side of Dolphin deck was the isolation area. I know we were on it and it was totally locked down

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

We are off topic, I apologize to the OP.

But, they are discreet. I know from last month, due to friends in quarantine.

I don't mind.  My question was answered & I'm learning from everything else that is being discussed!  🙂  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

I thought when you booked a "plus" or was for the 1st two passengers only? Not necessarily all adults. 

This is correct. Our daughter is now over 21, but when we book a cabin for three, only the first 2 passengers have to have the package. Indeed, when booking under the “3rd and 4th passengers sail free” promo, only the paying passengers got the package. We had to call to add Plus to our daughter’s booking. 

4 hours ago, TN-Mountains said:

In the eyes of Princess I was not downgraded.  I was moved to the same category cabin which was D--obstructed deluxe balcony.  You probably know this, but I'll say it incase there are some newbies reading....There is great variability in the obstruction for each room.  The room I booked (Sky Princess E107) has an extra large balcony.  It is at the front of the ship so the railing is part of the metal hull instead of glass.  When you look over the railing you see the water.  The one they moved me to was mid-forward section and has a life boat in front of it.  I was on the phone for hours trying to get the room back, but they designated that room as an isolation area.  

Yes.. i do know but had orignally imagined you were elsewhere.  Another key is keep an eye on your cabin even if No Upgrade flag on.

3 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

This is correct. Our daughter is now over 21, but when we book a cabin for three, only the first 2 passengers have to have the package. Indeed, when booking under the “3rd and 4th passengers sail free” promo, only the paying passengers got the package. We had to call to add Plus to our daughter’s booking. 

Thank you for this. I had posted elsewhere about this to ask this question. Do you recall how much it was it add her plus package?

15 minutes ago, SSAtlantic said:

Thank you for this. I had posted elsewhere about this to ask this question. Do you recall how much it was it add her plus package?

We booked before the (second) price increase for Plus and it was an even $50 per day, no tax. $400 for an 8 day cruise. So her total fare under the promo was $555 ($400 for Plus and $155 for port fees). Since that time, they boosted the price of Plus and added some additional benefits. 

7 hours ago, TN-Mountains said:

The CSR I spoke to yesterday said Plus Fare would have to be purchased by both guests, but I didn't specifically ask if that would be the case if we waited to purchase on board.  Although she did confirm I could purchase it onboard.  Hopefully someone sailing in late Feb/early March will ask once onboard and report back to us.  The CSR did say the plus or premier beverage packages could be purchased by a single guest, but they are more expensive for the 1st guest than the Plus/Premier Fares and they don't include crew appreciation, wifi, etc.  $76.70 vs $60 and $100.30 vs $80  I don't think there would be any true savings to do it this way after adding in crew appreciation.  

Now I am wondering Princess is playing funny word games in their FAQ's, or once more we have a phone agent mixed up and not giving correct information. 

Purchasing the Plus or Premier Cruise FARE package is much different than purchasing the Plus or Premier DRINKS package.  I can see a guest being able to purchase the DRINKS package once on board, but upgrading the cruise fare to Plus or Premier would be something completely new.  (I am aware PCL is stating it begins in late Feb 2023).

What you have described above is the DRINKS package.  Yes, a single guest can purchase, but it doesn't make sense to me.  I am thinking the price will have gone up but I don't have a current booking to check into it.  In fact, it appears that PCL has not really touched the cost of the Plus package and is indeed just under $77 as you wrote above. 

It used to be that it would make less-than-zero sense to purchase the Plus DRINK package at almost $80 per person, when both primary cabinmates could add the Plus FARE package for $40 each. 

Now that Plus FARE is $60 each or $120/couple, an $80 drink-only package for one person may make sense --- let's see.  Crew Incentive and MedallionNet cost $47 for Platinum/Elite couples and that leaves $73 per couple for the Drinks portion of the $120 FARE package.  Well, compare that to purchasing ONE drinks-only package for $77 and we can see the couple is further ahead to just purchase the Plus FARE in the first place. 

If I knew I wanted Plus, I'd for sure want to know buying it on board costs no more than booking as my cruise fare and that it is the same FARE package sold pre-cruise and not just the DRINK package.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Now I am wondering Princess is playing funny word games in their FAQ's, or once more we have a phone agent mixed up and not giving correct information. 

Purchasing the Plus or Premier Cruise FARE package is much different than purchasing the Plus or Premier DRINKS package.  I can see a guest being able to purchase the DRINKS package once on board, but upgrading the cruise fare to Plus or Premier would be something completely new.  (I am aware PCL is stating it begins in late Feb 2023).

What you have described above is the DRINKS package.  Yes, a single guest can purchase, but it doesn't make sense to me.  I am thinking the price will have gone up but I don't have a current booking to check into it.  In fact, it appears that PCL has not really touched the cost of the Plus package and is indeed just under $77 as you wrote above. 

It used to be that it would make less-than-zero sense to purchase the Plus DRINK package at almost $80 per person, when both primary cabinmates could add the Plus FARE package for $40 each. 

Now that Plus FARE is $60 each or $120/couple, an $80 drink-only package for one person may make sense --- let's see.  Crew Incentive and MedallionNet cost $47 for Platinum/Elite couples and that leaves $73 per couple for the Drinks portion of the $120 FARE package.  Well, compare that to purchasing ONE drinks-only package for $77 and we can see the couple is further ahead to just purchase the Plus FARE in the first place. 

If I knew I wanted Plus, I'd for sure want to know buying it on board costs no more than booking as my cruise fare and that it is the same FARE package sold pre-cruise and not just the DRINK package.

While researching cruises last summer, I read that the plus FARE had to be purchased (X) days prior to boarding the ship.  Since I was rebooking under a new Plus FARE yesterday I decided to read the FAQ again.  I was surprised by that change and that prompted me to call Princess to confirm I that note 8 in the FAQ was referring to plus FARE and not the plus beverage package.  I specifically asked the CSR to confirm that I could purchase the Plus FARE on board in June and if the price would be the same as it is today.  She confirmed both were true it would be $60pp/day onboard.  I then questioned her about the individual beverage plans because it didn't make sense to me that the Plus beverage plan that is included in the Plus FARE would cost more than the Plus FARE package.  That is when she told me it didn't have to be purchased by both guests.  I'm Ruby member so the math on the beverage package definitely doesn't work for me.  With my new booking I went we the standard fare.  I'm waiting for other CC members to share their actual experiences trying to upgrade to the Plus FARE on board the ship in March.  If I start seeing folks are having issues upgrading, I'll likely go ahead and upgrade a week or two prior to boarding the ship.    

Edited by TN-Mountains
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, julie3fan said:

Any idea if the Plus package will have to be purchased by every person in the cabin if purchased on board?  DH doesn't drink anything other than 1 or 2 sodas a day, so it's never made sense to buy it when we'd both have to.

I called Princess today and asked they mark my new cabin as "no upgrade".  Since I was talking to a different CSR, I decided to ask about the Plus Fare to see if I got the same answers the other CSR gave me on Friday.  She confirmed that the Plus Fare can be purchased onboard for today's price ($60pp/day).  When asked if one guest could upgrade to the Plus FARE onboard without the 2nd upgrading, she took a moment to look and said, "both guests 1 & 2 would have to upgrade to the Plus FARE even if purchased onboard."  I didn't ask about guests 3 or 4.  Hope this helps!

23 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

My recent experience with quarantine was the positive able to rejoin the cruise after 5 days if negative.  And it counts from the first sign, not the first test.  

You are absolutely right on if only one test positive.  If both chose to isolate, they stay in their original cabin, if only the positive chooses to isolate, they are moved.  The nonpositive is tested every day for 5 days and is able to intermingle with everyone, but they do ask that they wear a mask when in public, when possible.  

It used to be after the 10th day.  Amazing how things have changed, especially after our experience on the Grand. 

2 minutes ago, justafem said:

My recent experience with quarantine was the positive able to rejoin the cruise after 5 days if negative.  And it counts from the first sign, not the first test.  

You are absolutely right on if only one test positive.  If both chose to isolate, they stay in their original cabin, if only the positive chooses to isolate, they are moved.  The nonpositive is tested every day for 5 days and is able to intermingle with everyone, but they do ask that they wear a mask when in public, when possible.  

It used to be after the 10th day.  Amazing how things have changed, especially after our experience on the Grand. 

Wonder what the next cruise protocols will be…😮

7 hours ago, TN-Mountains said:

I called Princess today and asked they mark my new cabin as "no upgrade".  Since I was talking to a different CSR, I decided to ask about the Plus Fare to see if I got the same answers the other CSR gave me on Friday.  She confirmed that the Plus Fare can be purchased onboard for today's price ($60pp/day).  When asked if one guest could upgrade to the Plus FARE onboard without the 2nd upgrading, she took a moment to look and said, "both guests 1 & 2 would have to upgrade to the Plus FARE even if purchased onboard."  I didn't ask about guests 3 or 4.  Hope this helps!

Thank you!  A concise answer to a concise question, and unfortunately not what I wanted to hear, but not unexpected.  I very much appreciate you!