Celebrating 50 Years of Carnival - Throwback Capers

Sundsgn

I share a 50th birthday with Carnival, and so bummed I wasn’t able to celebrate my 50th on a beautiful ship at sea as I had hoped. I thought I’d celebrate a little with this throwback to the younger years of Carnival…

As I was going through boxes after my Mom’s passing recently, I found the Carnival Capers from their one and only cruise they went on, The Festivale in 1979. In the late 90’s my mom convinced me as a single woman to try cruising for my solo travels. I’ve hardly looked back - eventually cruising with my husband and now my children love it, too! I have missed cruising so much these last few years, having sailed one of the last cruises in late February before the shutdown of 2020. Can’t wait to be back on board for Spring Break!!

My, have things changed but somewhat stayed the same! I love this!! 
$ .90 cocktails! Disco! Grease! The Goodbye Girl! Pajama Parties!

2DFF33F5-B8F8-4636-8615-73E4C438C591.jpeg

45E8F97C-6A85-4EC9-9B83-CB10F45C703A.jpeg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, crooooze said:

This is really cool. I wonder what cruise rates were like back then.

Pretty much the same or higher. I paid $1100 for an inside cabin on Main Deck on the brand new Holiday for a 7 day cruise in 1985. 😎

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

My dad said they paid around $1700, he still has the receipt somewhere and is going to find it. That included everything though - airfare, gratuities and I think even the shore excursions. I will post it when I get it.  I think the prices have remained somewhat stable honestly. My first solo cruise was just a little over $700 in ‘98 and that was without airfare - and before I knew how to look for deals. Learn something new every time!

CE33E7EC-3873-42EE-99C1-1CBF7D4765BD.thumb.jpeg.70ce66edf8f81e0d399ab3a8befbc84c.jpeg6C28D71F-73C0-4092-9BE2-0CA63004DC41.thumb.jpeg.b31b975bd22dfa2807e0f24d754469da.jpeg

Edited by Sundsgn
Edit: My parents spent a lot of nights listening to Wes Shannon and Pamela Fant, got to know them a little and I do remember listening to their vinyl record over and over as a kid. “You got to make your own kind of music, sing your own special song!”
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2023 at 9:23 PM, Saint Greg said:

Not very many activities back then.

No, but I see they had trap shooting on the promenade deck...bet that would get interesting after a few cocktails lol

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I started cruising in 1994 with my 2 best friends. we all 3 became nurses and wanted to celebrate our 1st year of nursing. we did a 4 day cruise with 3 days at disney and the cost was about $1600 each not including airfare. and worth every penny. the attention that we received from carnival was really top notch. and i was instantly addicted to cruising. all 3 of us were/are. i haven't cruise since 2014 and am really looking forward to my first cruise in 10 years with my husband. after reading all the comments, i believe i will have to change my expectations a little. sounds like a lot of things i really enjoyed are gone and that is sad. but i will still be on a ship and will have an awesome vacation even if i have to go without turndown service and my chocolate mint. (i will miss that the most). 

• Like 1

We embarked on our first Carnival cruise in 1992. We paid around $1700 for an ocean view cabin on the Fantasy. The ship offered skeet shooting, a midnight buffet with ice sculptures and a topless sun deck. Oh!  And if you left your nighty on the bed they turn it into an animal. 

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

7 hours ago, bettysuetraveler said:

I started cruising in 1994 with my 2 best friends. we all 3 became nurses and wanted to celebrate our 1st year of nursing. we did a 4 day cruise with 3 days at disney and the cost was about $1600 each not including airfare. and worth every penny. the attention that we received from carnival was really top notch. and i was instantly addicted to cruising. all 3 of us were/are. i haven't cruise since 2014 and am really looking forward to my first cruise in 10 years with my husband. after reading all the comments, i believe i will have to change my expectations a little. sounds like a lot of things i really enjoyed are gone and that is sad. but i will still be on a ship and will have an awesome vacation even if i have to go without turndown service and my chocolate mint. (i will miss that the most). 

You can still get the level of service you remember, but not on Carnival. You'll have to look at other lines. Carnival still offers a good product but yes it has changed a lot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We embarked on our first Carnival cruise in 1992. We paid around $1700 for an ocean view cabin on the Fantasy. The ship offered skeet shooting, a midnight buffet with ice sculptures and a topless sun deck. Oh!  And if you left your nighty on the bed they turn it into an animal. 

And that same Oceanview cabin would cost $3700 now if Carnival prices kept up with inflation. There is no way Carnival is able to keep up the 1992 level of service in 2023 while still charging essentially the same price. But the market has spoken. Apparently people are willing to have less in order to get a lower price. Just like people would rather get a cheaper airfare than to get dinner on a 2-hour flight. 

4 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I forgot about the topless deck…the little sign blocking it off and off to the funnel they would go, 16 year old boys trying to sneak a peek LOL

17 hours ago, mz-s said:

You can still get the level of service you remember, but not on Carnival. You'll have to look at other lines. Carnival still offers a good product but yes it has changed a lot.

seems like that is true. maybe will need to branch out on occasion and try some different cruise lines.