Reduced port stays

NYAS

This evening we received a message from O detailing revised times in ports for our upcoming May Lisbon-Amsterdam cruise on Marina — a total of 7 fewer hours in 6 of our 9 port stops. The letter attributes this to O’s efforts to reduce their carbon footprint, but certainly reducing expenses must be a significant factor. This cruise is a segment of a longer itinerary, so I assume there are also revisions to other itineraries as well.

I’d read in other threads about skipped ports and reduced hours in ports on some Caribbean and Australian itineraries, and now I see it is happening for European ones. Very disappointing, especially in light of negative comments seen recently on this board from recent cruisers.

• Like 2

We received the same type email from O regarding our May 22 Riviera cruise Barcelona to Southampton.  It did read strange - and our overall time in ports is reduced 3.5 hours. One departure was delayed 30 minutes though instead of being an earlier departure. 

Reducing port times doesn't work well if ship excursions lengths are not adjusted.  Recently on our current cruise, 2 port that had reduced times had to wait until original time for ship excursions to return.  So it doesn't work well if everything isn't planned properly.  Expect that ship excursions may need to be reduced or dropped if traveling a long distance from port. 

We were on Marina when this all started, doing the Amazon trip. We had no previous notification except on the day of docking, sometimes an hour before. This lead to panic (with tender stops, especially) People who had made plans with private tour operators had to wait for tender tickets, placed after Oceania tours. They allowed a small handful of independents on each tender. This lead to a big delay for private tour operators awaiting passengers. Pity we weren’t notified prior to cruise so we could alert the tour operators. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I received a similar email yesterday for my Nautica cruise in August. It’s well before final payment but it’s 3 fewer hours in ports in France and Italy. 
I just wish they would be more upfront about the reason rather than saying it’s to “reduce their carbon footprint” which I am not buying. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Here we go, using the bogus green scam as a cover to reduce the product offering to the customer. 

Since Oceania advertises that they are an itinerary focused cruise line, this is disgusting. Our travel agent even sent an email to his customers advising about this, he is beyond mad and this is significant because he used to be in mgmt on Oceania!

Hummmm, not a good trend.

• Like 20

Changing the arrival times is a big problem for those with private tours already booked.My wife is handicapped so we are forced to use private tours.O now makes us deal all over again with individual drivers to arrange tours,if possible.This customer is normally very happy with Oceania,but they have caused us problems for trips this year. Not happy!

• Like 5

We cruise based primarily upon itinerary. These port times cuts, along with missed ports will definitely go into the analysis of which offered itineraries are actually the best. 

Having said the above, I feel we are in a very small minority of actual Oceania cruisers. We see a large percentage of Oceania cruisers that either rarely get off the ships, or only do so for 2-3 hours, 4 max. The ship being in port 1-3 hours less has zero impact on their planned activities. They are the ones crying if their tour gets back after the Terrace closes for lunch.

I’m merely guessing Oceania knows where most of its guests are. They can save more money from reduced port times, with a majority of guests not caring. The rest of us have to figure it out.

• Like 7

We received a similar letter. Apparently Oceania considers their customers morons if this is the excuse they are using. If the trend continues, we will have to look for replacements for the 4 cruises we are currently booked with them. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Best to talk with your wallet 

They need the income from people to sustain the business

Those of us regulars  might be not as important any more  just think of all the perks they could save if the regulars  would drop O as their cruise line  of choice

They will new people  with no loyalty perks to pay  for  a few years  & those that  have 60+ cruises  will be gone with the new wave of cuts happening

I will be waiting to see how  this year goes before booking a cruise on O

Checking other options

• Like 6

Per O e-mail this weekend,

- Losing 1 hour each in Split and Istanbul in early November 2023, BUT gaining one hour in Heraklion. No change to the other four stops.

- Losing 1 hour each in Istanbul and Provence (Marseilles) in later November 2023, two of the 7 ports.

• Like 1

I got the notice for Sirena Sept. 2 Barcelona to Lisbon cruise. Am I supposed to believe that saving 3 hours of port time is going to do anything to save the planet from warming? Way to go Oceana, piss off your most loyal customers.

DATE

DAY

PORT

ARRIVAL

DEPARTURE

ORIGINAL

2-Sep-23

SAT

BARCELONA, SPAIN

6:00 PM

3-Sep-23

SUN

ALICANTE, SPAIN

10:00 AM

5:00 PM

9:00 AM

4-Sep-23

MON

GRANADA (MOTRIL), SPAIN

8:00 AM

5:00 PM

6:00 PM

5-Sep-23

TUE

CRUISING THE ATLANTIC OCEAN

6-Sep-23

WED

ARRECIFE (LANZAROTE), CANARY ISLANDS

10:00 AM

7:00 PM

7-Sep-23

THU

SANTA CRUZ DE TENERIFE, CANARY ISLANDS

11:00 PM

8-Sep-23

FRI

LAS PALMAS DE GRAN CANARIA, CANARY ISLANDS

7:00 AM

4:00 PM

9-Sep-23

SAT

CRUISING THE ATLANTIC OCEAN

10-Sep-23

SUN

TANGIER, MOROCCO

4:00 PM

11-Sep-23

MON

LISBON, PORTUGAL

2:00 PM

1:00 PM

12-Sep-23

TUE

LISBON, PORTUGAL

• Like 4

We cruise in 3 months (Europe 13 days), and so far nothing has changed for us, and we haven't received a letter. It's my belief that not that many people spend more than 6 or 7 hours in most ports, so in reality, they won't suffer. With cruising, there's seldom enough time to see/do everything, but I research, prioritize, plan, and then give it a try!  However, I seldom spend more than 7 hours ashore.  I'm happy to come back and relax a little.   Why cruise on a wonderful cruise line (and pay more for it) if all you want to do is stay ashore and not enjoy some of the things that the cruise line offers?

Somebody has to start worrying about this planet.  I'm OK with what Oceania is doing.  And given their port-intensive itineraries, they probably use a lot of fuel.  

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I’m not sure the reduction in port stays has anything to do with the environment.  Actually, unless I’m mistaken, it is probably better for the environment for the ship to be not moving much.  I’m really miffed that Oceania thinks we are stupid enough to believe their “good for the environment” lies.

I understand that Oceania wants to make more money.  However, for a product like a cruise, where we entrust the company to deliver a product long time after we commit a payment to them, this kind of behavior clearly crosses an ethical boundary.

Edited by Psoque
added more info
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

A contrast of Cruisers vs Travelers. The Cruisers could care less, while the Travelers are upset. A simple glimpse of how lopsided the balance in numbers in favor of the Cruisers: look at the huge percentage of people gleefully headed to Boardamania and the maybe roast turkey. They don’t care about any of that Etalian or Spanish food in port, why they can eat at Olive Garden or El Toribbo whenever they want at home. Meanwhile, we Travelers, in the obvious minority, show up to empty boarding lines at 2:30-3:00. The odds are stacked against the Travelers in this affair.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

A contrast of Cruisers vs Travelers. The Cruisers could care less, while the Travelers are upset. A simple glimpse of how lopsided the balance in numbers in favor of the Cruisers: ... The odds are stacked against the Travelers in this affair.

But nothing new here. See how often so few even disembark in a port or do so late and return so early or just hang out in the tourist trap area by the pier without exploring the city/area.

Sit by pier in the city about 30 minutes before everyone is supposed to be back aboard. See how few are showing up then. Might just be you they're waiting for then. Which could be as early as 1630 or 1730. Having been the last on the ship for 5 consecutive ports off Sirena (11/2022) I saw the few "Travelers" and the multitude of "Cruisers". But then my wife and I try to be the first off at every port, too.

But according to this contrast, if you are a cruiser, why to take an European port intensive cruise at all? Might as well take TA - usually cheaper, and can save on flights too. Same for Caribbean cruises.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

But nothing new here. See how often so few even disembark in a port or do so late and return so early or just hang out in the tourist trap area by the pier without exploring the city/area.

Sit by pier in the city about 30 minutes before everyone is supposed to be back aboard. See how few are showing up then. Might just be you they're waiting for then. Which could be as early as 1630 or 1730. Having been the last on the ship for 5 consecutive ports off Sirena (11/2022) I saw the few "Travelers" and the multitude of "Cruisers". But then my wife and I try to be the first off at every port, too.

Yep. Been on O cruises where a lot more complained about not having organized Knit, Darn, and Gossip groups on port days than ever complaining about shortening port time. I never realized the purpose of a cruise for some was to find bridge participants 10-12 hours per day. Port? We were in Port?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

But according to this contrast, if you are a cruiser, why to take an European port intensive cruise at all? Might as well take TA - usually cheaper, and can save on flights too. Same for Caribbean cruises.  

I came here to say just that. We choose our cruises based on itinerary, because we want to visit those places.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Somebody has to start worrying about this planet.  I'm OK with what Oceania is doing.  And given their port-intensive itineraries, they probably use a lot of fuel.  

Until the "somebodies" include China and India, these tiny contributions to sustainability are meaningless, IMO.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

I came here to say just that. We choose our cruises based on itinerary, because we want to visit those places.

Same for us. This is why time in ports is critical for us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1