Flight Arrangements for your Cruise

KAM69

Would appreciate some feeback on how people arrange their flights. 

Book with Viking Air or book with your TA ?

Selecting Viking Air provides ground transfers from airport to port which is a nice advantage but the air travel cost is higher.

Those that secure their own flight arrangements, how has the process gone?

Thanks for your insight !

Cheers

We have booked with Air Plus, with the TA and on our own.  There are pros and cons to each.

We don't find that the cost of Viking flights booked through Air Plus are more expensive.  Before we make any decision on who to book air with we do a full analysis of airline, route, aircraft type, seating configuration, connection time, etc.  We look at all that plus cost.  We have done our pricing and then we will compare to Air Plus and we are talking "give or take" number of dollars difference.

We would rather book our Air through Viking than through our TA because if that flight booking goes south for any reason, Viking Air Plus are on it - in our experience.  If we book through the TA, then we have one more layer to deal with.

We actually book more air direct ourselves now for more overall control.  You will see many situations on CC where people are upset with Air Plus because of airline changes or schedule changes that were done without their knowledge.  In reality - to us - this is not Viking but the airlines that are still impacting travel itineraries around the world without recourse.  When you book on your own, you get the notification that something is changing and you get to deal with it over someone else just slamming you on another flight that you may or may not have wanted.

We have a cruise in March that we booked our own air, and we have a Viking cruise in August that we are using Air Plus.  So clearly we saw an advantage using Air Plus for the August one.

Oh, and yes, the transfers are included, but you can purchase those through Viking if you book your air yourself.  Even if the air with Viking were a few dollars extra, the convenience of landing and finding the Viking rep and handing over your luggage is much simpler than finding your own transport.

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Oh, and yes, the transfers are included, but you can purchase those through Viking if you book your air yourself.  Even if the air with Viking were a few dollars extra, the convenience of landing and finding the Viking rep and handing over your luggage is much simpler than finding your own transport.

However, Viking transfers are only available on Day 1 and Day Last of the itinerary.  If you book with Viking and choose to arrive early and/or stay late,  there is an extra fee for the "deviation" plus you lose access to transfers on any deviated arrival/departure. 

If you book your own flights, you may buy transfers only if your flights are scheduled to arrive on Day 1 and/or depart on Day Last.  

They have been very strict with this policy. They will only transfer you if are have flights that arrive or depart on transfer days -- and the are wise to all the tricks.  

In spite of these policies, we still, like CDNPOLAR, decide on a trip by trip basis who is booking our flights.  BUT, we always start with Viking Air on our booking, especially if it is a really good air deal.  If you wait to add air, it will be at the brochure price and not the deal in place when you booked.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

However, Viking transfers are only available on Day 1 and Day Last of the itinerary.  If you book with Viking and choose to arrive early and/or stay late,  there is an extra fee for the "deviation" plus you lose access to transfers on any deviated arrival/departure. 

If you book your own flights, you may buy transfers only if your flights are scheduled to arrive on Day 1 and/or depart on Day Last.  

They have been very strict with this policy. They will only transfer you if are have flights that arrive or depart on transfer days -- and the are wise to all the tricks.  

In spite of these policies, we still, like CDNPOLAR, decide on a trip by trip basis who is booking our flights.  BUT, we always start with Viking Air on our booking, especially if it is a really good air deal.  If you wait to add air, it will be at the brochure price and not the deal in place when you booked.  

...should have mentioned Pergrina651 did, and that is that for purchasing transfers you must arrive when Viking would bring you in if you bought your air through Viking.  Arriving early or late will not work.

Oh, and the Viking Air that we are using in August is because the promotion was FREE AIR, and the cruise cost was not higher, so we would be foolish to book our own air.  What we did was book Premium Economy and that ended up as a $1,299 CDN cost per person, but if we did that without the free air, it would have been a cost of about $3500 per person with PE.

• Like 1

I booked my own air for my Viking cruise in June. Before ,I have used Viking air and Viking air plus.

Book our flights in Sept with Delta /KLM, Flying from MPS to AMS then to Stockholm . We got great layover times  both ways.  We fly into Stockholm two days ahead of our cruise. We will take a cab to our hotel.

We did purchase Viking extension in Copenhagen, so we will have transfer off the ship to hotel and transfer to airport two days later Viking air for this cruise is $1200. We paid more for total control over our flights and items. Well worth it for us for this cruise.

11 hours ago, KAM69 said:

Would appreciate some feeback on how people arrange their flights. 

Book with Viking Air or book with your TA ?

Selecting Viking Air provides ground transfers from airport to port which is a nice advantage but the air travel cost is higher.

Those that secure their own flight arrangements, how has the process gone?

Thanks for your insight !

Cheers

If Viking include Business Class flights, we have our TA book the flights and select seats with Viking Air.

Otherwise, we book our own First/Business flights, normally using points, accepting the loss of transfers. Viking Air will no longer upgrade flights using points/miles and there is no guarantee the fare class booked by Viking Air can be upgraded with points or cash.

• Thanks 1

We typically book our own flights because we prefer the control & are comfortable getting ourselves from the airport to where we need to be. We have though booked the extensions in the past which meant we got the Viking transfer from the airport. This was quite a good thing on a river cruise with a pre-extension in Bruges. Our flights were delayed quite a bit getting us in to Brussels & there was a Viking driver waiting to drive us to Bruges as we missed the bus. If you book Viking Air they are much more responsible for you if something in your flights get delayed or messed up, so think about how you would handle last minute cancellations or delays on your own. One other note, our recent NZ/AUS was quite messed up & everyone on the ship received FCC for all monies spent with Viking. This meant my in-laws who booked Viking Air also got credit for their flights. That’s an unusual situation, but it another instance of the difference.

• Like 1

We used Viking Air and bought business class. Had to go coach one domestic leg leaving home, then business seats all the way, both ends. Booked in early October and have received 4 updated itinerary change emails from Viking since. One a flight number change then time changes of just minutes. One issue, Viking could not get us seats Europe Istanbul Turkish Air. They guaranteed business class, but... I may have to bird dog that one soon. The agent really worked with us and was very helpful. I wanted to spend a few days in London and she got us BA both out of Barcelona and London to Phily. I REFUSE to fly American, she laughed, understood and worked it out. Quite happy, but of course we aren't there yet.

Just a heads up about working with Viking Air… in pre COVID days we used them several times with great service, knowledgeable agents and it was great. Since resuming after COVID Viking has outsourced their Air Plus Department. You will now be dealing with an agent in the Philippines that apparently has an internet connection about the speed of a 1980’s dial up modem. Occasionally you will get someone that actually knows what they are doing, but more often it is someone very poorly trained that has not got a clue about air travel. They are very polite and I’m sure are doing their best but they are not well trained. 

I got an email over the weekend from Delta with a schedule change for our flight home from Barcelona in April. The new flight times left me with an inadequate connection time in Atlanta. If I had booked the flight myself I could have changed to a later flight from Atlanta-home online in about 3 minutes.  But since I used Viking Air, they must make the change and they can’t figure out how to do it. I spent over an hour on the phone with some poor lady who tried to reroute the entire trip, then tried to convince me I needed to pay $350 to change my flight, then got the “supervisor” at my request and between them they couldn’t figure out how to change just the last leg and suggested I just keep my current flight and “if you are lucky the flight from Atlanta to your home will be delayed”. After an hour and 10 minutes they said they would continue working on my “complicated problem” and call me back. But of course they did not. 

I really don’t think I’m going to use Viking Air anymore unless it’s free or something close to it. 

• Like 2

Somewhat off-topic, but in the spirit of the discussion on hand...  @mhb1757 I had a Delta flight booked by NCL in Dec 2021 that was delayed to the point that I wasn't able to make the connecting flight.  I was able to rebook the flight via Delta app at no charge.  Have you tried changing the itinerary directly with Delta, either online or via phone?

Perhaps I was just fortunate. Called Viking Air Plus earlier today to secure business class seats from Europe to Istanbul on Turkish Air. We could not get seats when reservation was made a few months back, as TA would not release them. Had to wait about 4 minutes, guy spoke the Kings English quite well, two seats confirmed. Showed up on MVJ about five minutes later. Maybe just lucky, but I'm all cheered up.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mhb1757 said:

Just a heads up about working with Viking Air… in pre COVID days we used them several times with great service, knowledgeable agents and it was great. Since resuming after COVID Viking has outsourced their Air Plus Department. You will now be dealing with an agent in the Philippines that apparently has an internet connection about the speed of a 1980’s dial up modem. Occasionally you will get someone that actually knows what they are doing, but more often it is someone very poorly trained that has not got a clue about air travel. They are very polite and I’m sure are doing their best but they are not well trained. 

I got an email over the weekend from Delta with a schedule change for our flight home from Barcelona in April. The new flight times left me with an inadequate connection time in Atlanta. If I had booked the flight myself I could have changed to a later flight from Atlanta-home online in about 3 minutes.  But since I used Viking Air, they must make the change and they can’t figure out how to do it. I spent over an hour on the phone with some poor lady who tried to reroute the entire trip, then tried to convince me I needed to pay $350 to change my flight, then got the “supervisor” at my request and between them they couldn’t figure out how to change just the last leg and suggested I just keep my current flight and “if you are lucky the flight from Atlanta to your home will be delayed”. After an hour and 10 minutes they said they would continue working on my “complicated problem” and call me back. But of course they did not. 

I really don’t think I’m going to use Viking Air anymore unless it’s free or something close to it. 

Maybe this isn’t a Viking issue. I just finished a long chat with Delta, trying to change one leg of a flight to Greece. The first leg from Orlando to JFK was changed to depart at 7am and we would have a 5.5 hour layover. The agent told me that since the two legs were “married “ as an international flight, I could not change just one leg. Both needed to be rebooked. We kept the original pair as we had already upgraded seats on the long haul flight, even if we kept the second flight, we might not get our original seats. Sounds like mhb had a similar situation when Viking Air couldn’t fix the flight.  Our flight wasn’t through Viking but was a trip we booked ourselves. My sister had a similar issue on American… two flights were a package deal, both changed or nothing could be changed. Maybe a new rule??? 

On 1/23/2023 at 7:43 AM, Peregrina651 said:

Heads up, something  to keep an eye on: I am hearing in the chatter that not all of the FREE airfare offers can be upgraded.  

I could not change seats via Viking Air www site for my May/June Alaska cruise.  I was able to upgrade to exit isle seats via my United Airline App. My 85yo parents did the same after spending 45 mins on the phone with Viking Air trying to upgrade from row 35 (back of plane) to econ+. 

CEH in MD

8 hours ago, Selion said:

Somewhat off-topic, but in the spirit of the discussion on hand...  @mhb1757 I had a Delta flight booked by NCL in Dec 2021 that was delayed to the point that I wasn't able to make the connecting flight.  I was able to rebook the flight via Delta app at no charge.  Have you tried changing the itinerary directly with Delta, either online or via phone?

I did try via the Delta App and it told me to contact my booking agent. 

But just as an update, An agent from Viking Air called me back from within the US last night really late and he had made the needed change to give me a workable connection time and had me booked on the flight I had requested. He apologized for the delay and just stated “It really was more complicated than it should have been”. I don’t know what that meant exactly but all’s well that ends well. 

On our upcoming trip, I let Viking book the air as it was a 'free air' portion.  Did not pay extra for Air Plus.  The itinerary they picked originally was ok with three segments on our return with a less than ideal layover in Schiphol (AMS).  I checked out the alternatives they showed on their My Viking Journey (MVJ) portal and none of the alternatives were any better.  After I thought it over, I contacted Viking Air and talk to one of their agents who was able to find me a better route (direct back to ATL then on to my final destination) and rebooked us for no additional charge and no upgrade to Viking Air Plus (which costs $100 per person now, up from $50).  Like many companies now, Viking makes the reservation but doesn't purchase the ticket until closer to your departure date unless you insist that they book it early.  Until it's booked you can't upgrade (if the airline allows you to do so but you can grab seats).  On a previous trip with Viking booking our air, our flight was late arriving and the airline had already rebooked us.  The only problem was trying to get in contact with Viking to let they know of the rebooking since they don't apparently monitor the flights of their customers to adjust transfers.   A minor inconvenience but we got to the boat and Viking reimbursed us for what we paid for a taxi.  My preference is to book our own, but I do like free air.  

• Like 3

On 1/23/2023 at 5:18 AM, CDNPolar said:

We have booked with Air Plus, with the TA and on our own.  There are pros and cons to each.

We don't find that the cost of Viking flights booked through Air Plus are more expensive.  Before we make any decision on who to book air with we do a full analysis of airline, route, aircraft type, seating configuration, connection time, etc.  We look at all that plus cost.  We have done our pricing and then we will compare to Air Plus and we are talking "give or take" number of dollars difference.

We would rather book our Air through Viking than through our TA because if that flight booking goes south for any reason, Viking Air Plus are on it - in our experience.  If we book through the TA, then we have one more layer to deal with.

We actually book more air direct ourselves now for more overall control.  You will see many situations on CC where people are upset with Air Plus because of airline changes or schedule changes that were done without their knowledge.  In reality - to us - this is not Viking but the airlines that are still impacting travel itineraries around the world without recourse.  When you book on your own, you get the notification that something is changing and you get to deal with it over someone else just slamming you on another flight that you may or may not have wanted.

We have a cruise in March that we booked our own air, and we have a Viking cruise in August that we are using Air Plus.  So clearly we saw an advantage using Air Plus for the August one.

CDN PolarBear - Could you advise on how to book transfers through Viking if one is doing a pre-cruise itinerary on your own? Is there a link on MyVikingJourney or do you have to contact Viking to make arrangements and are you able to share rough costs for transfers pp?  Thanks so much

5 hours ago, Fieldofdreams said:

CDN PolarBear - Could you advise on how to book transfers through Viking if one is doing a pre-cruise itinerary on your own? Is there a link on MyVikingJourney or do you have to contact Viking to make arrangements and are you able to share rough costs for transfers pp?  Thanks so much

We have personally never done this, but my understanding is that when you decline Viking Air, there is then in the Air section of My Viking Journey a link to book transfers.  You must be arriving and departing however the same schedule as if Viking Air were bringing you in which would mean that you arrive the day the cruise departs port (or starts) and you depart the last day when the ship docks.

If I am correct with this, if you have a pre or post extension that you booked on your own, and not through Viking, you don't qualify for transfers.

10 hours ago, Fieldofdreams said:

In MVJ there is a Transfer Request Form under the Manage my Air link.  As for cost it was $49. pp for a one way transfer.  That happened to be LAX to port, so I am not sure if the amount changes based upon location.  Our Travel agent handled the booking for us with Viking.

As outlined by CDNpolar, Viking will tell you they limit the service to ONLY traveling at the same time (day of Embark/debark), so typically they would not be set up with busses and a team to transfer you when arriving another day.  We did arrive in Oslo (independently) 2 days before our pre cruise excursion, and Viking had 5-6 people in the airport to help you to the busses.  Had we booked with them, they would have transferred us, they said, however Viking local employees are known for bending over backwards to help you.  I am not sure Viking corporate would have allowed the transfer if not on Viking Pre excursion.  It might be worth checking.  Good luck.

6 hours ago, whitbob said:

In MVJ there is a Transfer Request Form under the Manage my Air link.  As for cost it was $49. pp for a one way transfer.  That happened to be LAX to port, so I am not sure if the amount changes based upon location.  Our Travel agent handled the booking for us with Viking.

As outlined by CDNpolar, Viking will tell you they limit the service to ONLY traveling at the same time (day of Embark/debark), so typically they would not be set up with busses and a team to transfer you when arriving another day.  We did arrive in Oslo (independently) 2 days before our pre cruise excursion, and Viking had 5-6 people in the airport to help you to the busses.  Had we booked with them, they would have transferred us, they said, however Viking local employees are known for bending over backwards to help you.  I am not sure Viking corporate would have allowed the transfer if not on Viking Pre excursion.  It might be worth checking.  Good luck.

Thank you, very helpful

Oh I spoke a day too early.  Now I fall into the 'how can Viking Air be so inept side'.  Checked our return flight last night with Delta, all well.  Got the dreaded 'you flights have changed email' this morning (would be the third schedule) and Viking had gone ahead and ticketed the flights.  So of course being inquisitive wanted to know why my great flight got changed.  Called Viking and lo and behold, the agent who booked me didn't know he couldn't reserve a flight that leaves before noon (from Barcelona).  One would think they'd train on that type of stuff.  But wait the kicker is, the flight they rebooked me on last night also leaves before noon and the agent this morning said, 'No, No' that can't stay.  Have to change'.  So once again a new booking on yet another airline and more segments.  What a fiasco.  Oh well I hope this stays pat (they confirmed it was ticketed today) as I'm still trying to recoup the nearly $200 I spent on KLM grabbing good seat assignments on the original flights now cancelled.  Gee, I need a vacation.  LOL. 

1 hour ago, chatdad said:

Gee, I need a vacation.  LOL. 

I am so sorry for you.  I have heard just SO many of these type stories, sadly....

That again confirms why we always do our own air - always.   Just too much aggravation and hassle and unknowns - and that assumes on average the cost might be the same.