Muster drills to return to pre-Covid style

MeHeartCruising

51 minutes ago, TheAdventureSeeker said:

What a mess this thing is back! Last time I was shoved, pushed, there was a guy breathing so hard on me like he lacked oxygen and started making noises like he was about to pass out and really felt like a farm animal! It's so dumb that instead of NCL moving forward in life and into the future they are going right back to the past! I loved the e-muster. While in check-in I watched my video, went straight to my muster station, the nice people asked me if I had any questions and that's it I enjoyed my day.

The person/people that brought this back should get a life and relived from their duties working at NCL. Somehow other cruise lines have no problem with e-muster. We should have a choice of doing e-muster or the regular one. The people that don't follow the rules should be punished not all of us into this crazy farm herding thing.

I posted something similar above....and sure enough, the "muster police" attempted to set me in my place...haha.  And, as expected, they brought up masking.  I didn't even mention masking....I only mentioned that I have never liked the 'muster herding' aspect of cruising, regardless of the pandemic. Frankly, if someone was breathing on me, I'd get the F out of there...I can't believe some think this is 'ok'.  And we wonder why diseases *of any kind* spread so fast on cruise ships.   Just dumb...

I agree...The e-muster was/is a great idea.  Not sure why they need to go back to an inferior way of doing things, especially with reduced staff.  Sigh...

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

To a large extent, the eMuster did not help people understand where to go for an emergency. It was just some random person in a hallway scanning cards. In our case, we have mustered in the theater a lot since the restart and it was literally someone just inside the gangway entrance scanning cards. The majority of people getting scanned would not remember where that was after their first drink. 

On our last 2 NCL cruises post restart (and 1 Princess cruise), we had to go to the physical Muster Station area's to get our cards scanned.  Granted it would be easy to forget, but at least we had to to there to get it done.  Wonder if this is different per ship?

42 minutes ago, farmecologist said:

I agree...The e-muster was/is a great idea.  Not sure why they need to go back to an inferior way of doing things, especially with reduced staff.  Sigh...

Definitely with you on e-muster being great. DH is hard of hearing and when there is a lot of crowd noise there isn't a reason to pay attention to the presentation. It was nice being able to watch the video at home and at the terminal while waiting to board. Then when we got on board, it was easy to casually find our way to the station to check in. If it was a herd, we would have just moved with the mob. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, farmecologist said:

I posted something similar above....and sure enough, the "muster police" attempted to set me in my place...haha.  And, as expected, they brought up masking.  I didn't even mention masking....I only mentioned that I have never liked the 'muster herding' aspect of cruising, regardless of the pandemic. Frankly, if someone was breathing on me, I'd get the F out of there...I can't believe some think this is 'ok'.  And we wonder why diseases *of any kind* spread so fast on cruise ships.   Just dumb...

I agree...The e-muster was/is a great idea.  Not sure why they need to go back to an inferior way of doing things, especially with reduced staff.  Sigh..

I've encountered the muster police several times myself.  Some just want to keep doing things the old way because 'that's the way we've always done it'.  This remind me a lot of the formal night threads.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Some just want to keep doing things the old way because 'that's the way we've always done it'. 

If you can demonstrate one potential training benefit (which is what a drill is all about) to either passengers or crew with the new e-muster, please, I'd like to hear it.  And don't bring up the distractions from the demonstrations, since even when the old muster system was used, ships could forego any demonstrations during drill by having it on the TV's.

2 hours ago, farmecologist said:

Oh my! Am I muster police now? Eeeek...I handed off the title of "group scold" to become "muster police." Oh dear. 

I believe my point was that if you're uncomfortable in groups, you may want to consider wearing a mask. In March, when I'm at my muster station listening to the crew tell me something, I'm going to have a mask on. Excuse me if missed that you didn't like being a cow wandering toward your pasture with cowboys close behind (that would be crew) forcing you into a tight space.

As I've mentioned before, I only want an in-person muster if we're placed in military formation with the crew scolding us to be quiet. Do it efficiently or don't do it at all! Those crew need training in telling a group of panicking passengers to shut up and follow commands (like they would in a real emergency). Otherwise, like you, I much prefer the alternative that has been used for the last couple years. 

• Like 1

On a recent CCL cruise our muster station was in one of the dining rooms.  As we entered our cards were scanned and we sat until there were about 20-25 of us.  The crew then proceeded with the drill.  Anyone arriving after the demonstration began was asked to wait.  Once our presentation was over we left and the new arrivals were then let in for their session.  It was great because you were comfortable plus you could hear and see everything without being crammed to a small area.  Also you didn't have to wait for latecomers.  This continuous revolving door method was so much better than what we have experienced in the past. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

If you can demonstrate one potential training benefit (which is what a drill is all about) to either passengers or crew with the new e-muster, please, I'd like to hear it.  And don't bring up the distractions from the demonstrations, since even when the old muster system was used, ships could forego any demonstrations during drill by having it on the TV's.

I know that I never practiced how to get to my muster station on a crowded ship. On my first cruise I didn't even know where my muster station was because it was done so quickly. After that I did pay more attention as I realized the safety hazard I was to myself and others. 

There probably aren't many passengers who want the pre-COVID muster drill, but I see the logic behind it. Might I whine a little bit when the siren thing comes on and I'm rousted from my hot tub slumber? Yep, a bit. But, I'll also be thankful for the crew having an opportunity to train. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh my! Am I muster police now? Eeeek...I handed off the title of "group scold" to become "muster police." Oh dear. 

I believe my point was that if you're uncomfortable in groups, you may want to consider wearing a mask. In March, when I'm at my muster station listening to the crew tell me something, I'm going to have a mask on. Excuse me if missed that you didn't like being a cow wandering toward your pasture with cowboys close behind (that would be crew) forcing you into a tight space.

As I've mentioned before, I only want an in-person muster if we're placed in military formation with the crew scolding us to be quiet. Do it efficiently or don't do it at all! Those crew need training in telling a group of panicking passengers to shut up and follow commands (like they would in a real emergency). Otherwise, like you, I much prefer the alternative that has been used for the last couple years. 

Haha...yep, I have hereby appointed you the "muster Police".  🤣

Seriously though...I agree...I will be masking as well.  It just boggles my mind that anyone is 'comfortable' being herded around like that.   

As for me, I avoid the elevators as well.  Not just because people are crammed in there and the obvious 'disease spreading' implications, but because I'm somewhat claustrophobic....and elevators definitely trigger that.   Oh...and the stairs are great exercise! So win-win-win!   👍 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, farmecologist said:

It just boggles my mind that anyone is 'comfortable' being herded around like that.   

It boggles my mind that someone puts "comfortable" into the equation for safety and life saving.  Even if you did the e-muster drill, in an emergency you would be herded together, and typically for a lot longer than the drill.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

The emuster includes the muster video which is a much better way to train on doning a life jacket.

The emuster includes training on finding your muster station.

Clearly, the old muster system does not provide as good a training as the new emuster.

Training the crew is the cruise lines responsibility and the cruise line should not pawn that off on the passengers.

38 minutes ago, farjar said:

On a recent CCL cruise our muster station was in one of the dining rooms.  As we entered our cards were scanned and we sat until there were about 20-25 of us.  The crew then proceeded with the drill.  Anyone arriving after the demonstration began was asked to wait.  Once our presentation was over we left and the new arrivals were then let in for their session.  It was great because you were comfortable plus you could hear and see everything without being crammed to a small area.  Also you didn't have to wait for latecomers.  This continuous revolving door method was so much better than what we have experienced in the past. 

Couldn't agree more.  NCL with their  supposedly forward thinking marketing campaign so cruisers can "Feel Free", is taking a major step backwards by going back to the pre-Covid method of mustering.  Hopefully none of their competitors such as Carnival, Royal, MSC, Celebrity and Princess that we have reservations on in 2023 will return to the archaic methods.  Unfortunately will have to endure the nonsense on our Prima B2B next month.

Edited by CruizinSusan70
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

The emuster includes the muster video which is a much better way to train on doning a life jacket.

As I said in my post, the cruise lines were allowed to substitute a video of life jacket donning for the actual donning, about 15 years ago, and most that started not storing life jackets in the cabins did that.  Now, if you never watched it, that's a problem, but most ships had the cabin stewards turn the TV to the safety channel when they turned the cabin, so it was on when you first entered your cabin.  So, there is no benefit for the e-muster over the old muster, if that is your main argument.

9 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

The emuster includes training on finding your muster station.

Does the e-muster provide a realistic training on finding your muster station?  Nope, not a bit.  Another negative for the e-muster.  While the old muster would not be exactly as it would happen in a real emergency, it is far more realistic than having passengers saunter in over 3-4 hours, singly or in pairs.

And, I won't bother to argue with you over "using" the passengers to train the crew.  It is all about teamwork, something you don't seem to think is important in emergencies, everyone on the ship is on one team, or we all die.  

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

As I said in my post, the cruise lines were allowed to substitute a video of life jacket donning for the actual donning, about 15 years ago, and most that started not storing life jackets in the cabins did that.  Now, if you never watched it, that's a problem, but most ships had the cabin stewards turn the TV to the safety channel when they turned the cabin, so it was on when you first entered your cabin.  So, there is no benefit for the e-muster over the old muster, if that is your main argument.

Does the e-muster provide a realistic training on finding your muster station?  Nope, not a bit.  Another negative for the e-muster.  While the old muster would not be exactly as it would happen in a real emergency, it is far more realistic than having passengers saunter in over 3-4 hours, singly or in pairs.

And, I won't bother to argue with you over "using" the passengers to train the crew.  It is all about teamwork, something you don't seem to think is important in emergencies, everyone on the ship is on one team, or we all die.  

You ignore the fact that the emuster is video is much more efficient training on doning a life preserver.  Passengers can observe the video training, something that is impossible when standing shoulder to shoulder under a life boat.  The emuster takes far less time.

The emuster certainly does provide realistic training on finding your muster station since all passengers must get their cards scanned at the muster location.

Teamwork is certainly important.  However, the crew can practice clearing cabins without involving the passengers.  They have to clear those cabins as part of reaching zero status.  You don't need thousands of passengers involved to train the crew in finding a few holdouts.  

BTW, if it's a legal requirement to return to the old fashioned muster, how is carnival getting around this requirement?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, laudergayle said:

That’s interesting information.  Thank you.  I would imagine that this process will take more time now with staff reductions.  Maybe I’ll need to bring cookies from the buffet🤣 

Food and drink are not permitted at muster. 

5 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Food and drink are not permitted at muster. 

It was an attempt of being humorous…lighten up please. I am not your enemy…promise. And you could have quoted the rest of my post where I acknowledged the importance of the subject.

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

You ignore the fact that the emuster is video is much more efficient training on doning a life preserver.  Passengers can observe the video training, something that is impossible when standing shoulder to shoulder under a life boat. 

No, you are ignoring that the life jacket demonstration has been allowed to be a video, watched in the cabin, not at the muster station, for about 15 years now.  Not sure how many times I'll need to repeat this.

The emuster takes far less time.

This is your key argument.

They have to clear those cabins as part of reaching zero status. 

No, they don't.  The cabin stewards have way too much to do on turn around day, to worry about whether all the passengers have departed.  That is security's job.  So, the realistic training is that instead of all cabins being cleared at one time, they are cleared as stewards get to them in their cleaning?  Sounds just like the passengers sauntering to muster over hours.  Very close to an emergency.

The emuster certainly does provide realistic training on finding your muster station since all passengers must get their cards scanned at the muster location.

Guess what, in addition to learning where your muster station is, the drill provides you with knowledge about what to do in an emergency.  I guess strolling to the muster station when you feel like it, is what you'd do in an emergency?  You claim to have done training.  Your philosophy does not point to any need for realistic training.  It merely points to not wanting to disrupt a vacation.

BTW, if it's a legal requirement to return to the old fashioned muster, how is carnival getting around this requirement?

Okay, I'll remind you of what I've said to you in other threads.  The e-muster has conditional approval (meaning temporary), and while it hasn't been removed, the two lines who have gone back to it see the writing on the wall, that within the next couple of years, at the latest, the e-muster will go away.  They just want to get rid of the extra time involved in the e-muster, and get back to proper training.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, farjar said:

What great training for a real emergency situation. 🤦‍♂️ Everyone just saunter in 20-25 at a time. Do you really think that would work in a real muster situation?