Med 2023 Beyond or Connie?

cruises89

Planning our second cruise this summer in the Med. Got spoiled last summer on the brand-new Wonder of the seas. Had a fabulous time but are considering Celebrity this time as they are seen as a step above RC. Looking at 10 nights in Greece, Croatia, Montenegro, and Italy on Beyond or 9 nights on Constellation visiting Greece, Turkey, Montenegro and Croatia. Connie is at least $2000 cheaper. Is Beyond worth the price? Or would we be disappointed going from a brand new ship (Wonder) to a ship over 20 years old? 

My thoughts.

If the itineraries both work for you, go with the Beyond. Although it is nothing like Wonder, it is closer than Constellation. I think Connie is dark and not as much fun. Just my thoughts. I don't speak for anyone else.

• Like 1

Beyond is the newest ship in Celebrity's fleet, the Constellation is a older ship its inaugural sailing was in 2002.   The Connie is a smaller ship, fewer specialty restaurants and bars.  It is well maintained and many love her.  The price difference is partially for the extra night and  mostly because the new ships are priced higher.

If you are sailing for the itinerary then I would save the $2000 and maybe add a few days on land at the beginning.

• Like 3

Beyond only advantage is the extra night , if you were in a suite I might consider beyond for perks, but European cruises have very few sea days and long days in port so you will be spending less time on the ship than on a Caribbean cruise. Both cruises ports sound great .

I agree that in Europe the itinerary trumps ship but the wo ships in consideration are comparing apples to oranges, especially after the Wonder. If one is going to consider a European cruise as JUST a floating hotel and transportation , then one should just choose the CHEAPEST ship with the best ports. But the OP specifically chose to change cruise lines. The Connie is the same size and age as the the Radiance Class on Royal. The Beyond will have the same impact as the Wonder-It's just a remarkable ship. But only you can determine if staying on an older ship with an older cabin is going to impact your vacation enjoyment. For some people it's no, but then again you specifically chose to try Celebrity over Royal. It also will matter GREATLY what type of cabin you choose. I think for people to help in your decision tell us what types of cabin you're considering on both Celebrity ships. What do you enjoy to do after a day of touring? Do you like to go to the shows? The Beyond will have shows that can't be seen on the Connie and are considered the best shows of the fleet. 

Edited by kwokpot

I've only done one Med cruise but I was too tired every evening to do much stuff on the ship, so it was definitely more about the ports. You've already done one Med cruise, so you know what's most important to you. But do consider how much time you will be on the ship versus at port. Europe is about long days at port and very little time on the actual ship. I've heard a lot of people say they love Connie, and I know there are fan clubs for Millie (the Millennium), too. I'm actually sailing on Millie for the first time in July and I'm normally all about the newest ships. I think there's something to be said for a well-maintained, classic vessel. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruises89 said:

Planning our second cruise this summer in the Med. Got spoiled last summer on the brand-new Wonder of the seas. Had a fabulous time but are considering Celebrity this time as they are seen as a step above RC. Looking at 10 nights in Greece, Croatia, Montenegro, and Italy on Beyond or 9 nights on Constellation visiting Greece, Turkey, Montenegro and Croatia. Connie is at least $2000 cheaper. Is Beyond worth the price? Or would we be disappointed going from a brand new ship (Wonder) to a ship over 20 years old? 

Even though you have selected a port intensive itinerary, I would recommend sailing on Beyond.  However if you have a strong preference for one itinerary over the other, then use that as your basis for choosing.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 4:50 PM, cruises89 said:

Connie is at least $2000 cheaper. Is Beyond worth the price? Or would we be disappointed going from a brand new ship (Wonder) to a ship over 20 years old? 

The answer is yes, the Beyond is worth the price, and yes you will be disappointed going to an old, not fully renovated ship. You're specifically choosing Celebrity for the experience. the cabins on the Connie haven't been renovated. They are going to pale in comparison to the Wonder.

I enjoy newer ships.  I would definately vote for the Beyond.  We have sailed on the Infinity and the Summit along multiple times on S class ships- but the E class wins hands down.  Why not enjoy a newer more modern ship?  Of course if the price is significantly more- do what works best for your budget.  Enjoy

I thought of a tid bit that may influence your decision, if you have tender ports Beyond will be the better option. 

This was important to me and why I'm sailing Beyond while doing Gk Isles. 

Sorry, I know I seem inconsistent

Patty