Whatever happened to spontaneity in travel??

CILCIANRQTS

Loved this topic. Everyone has his or own view and way of enjoying travel, and of course there’s no wrong or right way. For me, research and anticipation are a big part of travel. That being said, travel is never perfect, and when things don’t go to plan, I try to go with it rather than complaining endlessly. I’ve seen some posts with people complaining about the littlest, unforeseen things. Get over it. There are reasons to complain and reasons to just get on with it and enjoy what you can. I agree with the posters who spoke of the younger days when we had to write letters for reservations etc. But when you got to your destination, you just had to accept what happened to a great extent. As I college student in Europe, I hitchhiked. Now that was really unpredictable. Plan or not, but when you get there, enjoy without worrying about minor things. I’ve recently discovered cruising at my late 60s and am 🥰 with it. And this forum has been wonderfully informative and enjoyable. Keep posting y’all. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Vagabond51 said:

The amount and thought given to the responses on this thread provides answers to the OP question. Most here have plenty of discretionary time and resources. The wife puts up with what she refers to over the years as "Robertisms". Mostlt large spreadsheets and page after page of Evernote notes and links. "Plan your work, work your plan", or "anal" as she refers to it. It can cause serious disagreements in the months coming up to a trip. She just wants to wing it, driving me nuts. I was/am an analyst by trade and nature. She is also quick to point out to family and friends "it keeps him off the streets and out of the pool halls." Plenty of spot on answers to the question though.

I am pleased at the level of response it provoked.

Like everything else on CC, there are no right answers. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

I started traveling when quite young, before the Internet, fax, etc.  Long-distance telephone calls were extremely expensive. Planning was a necessity if one wanted to ensure all arrangements were accurate.  I still remember I had to write letters months in advance and mail them air mail to each of the hotels I wanted to reserve for my honeymoon (many decades ago), and then wait for a written letter response.

Nowadays I extensively plan because I am detail-oriented and I want everything "perfect," especially if it is a very meaningful or special trip. This is especially true if we travel to destinations with historical, archaeological or natural important sites.

Yet I can still be spontaneous if I just want a fun vacation escape.  Once I called a travel agent and said I would like to go on a week-long cruise leaving anywhere from the U.S. as long as it was under a certain budget. I did not know the cruise line or ship until the tickets arrived, nor did I care.  I booked Caribbean cruises in the past not knowing anything about the ship until I arrived on board--I just wanted to see certain ports.

I trust my travel planning abilities, and I can more or less handle unseen circumstances last minute. In the old days travel insurance really did not exist too much, so you were more or less on your own anyway.  When we were younger husband and I traveled all over Europe by train and with backpacks and camping equipment, so I have done it the cheap way, and now I like a bit more luxury. We have self-driven in multiple countries in multiple types of vehicles (lucky me--I am a bit multi-lingual!). I will book tours ONLY if the destination is quite complex and requires more local leadership and interaction, and my language abilities are not strong enough.

I do love to travel!  I never worry about cruise menus in advance, or daily programs,  or even cabins too much, or anything really except my excursions, because the ships and ship meals and activities are fun, but not so unique that I will remember them forever, but I will certainly cry if I miss seeing the Acropolis when visiting Athens.

Your post could be mine…I remember planning onsite visits for my husband’s sabbatical in Norway years ago all by post. It took forever… and lots of stamps! Thanks for the memories!

Edited by janetcbl
Typo
  • Like 2

I also think planning and being spontaneous can co-exist.

For example, in the preparation for a trip, especially far from home, I agree with others that the detailed planning and logistics and research are some of the best parts of enjoyment ahead of time.  Certainly in these days, one needs to have things carefully put together and doing that research to make the various decisions that need to be made ahead of time (in a Viking cruise:  air flights, pre or post?, getting to/from airports, cabin, excursions, etc.    These are the sort of logistical decisions require detailed planning - and to me that is fun!

However, there is another element that for me does not need to be planned out until the trip or cruise actually happens.  This is to me where the spontaneity comes in if you let it - and can also be a fun and interesting element to a trip.  I've seen people on both extremes of the spectrum.  Each to his own.  For me, this is about going to a city or a port and not necessarily have it planned out what you will do - going with the flow (above and beyond pre-planned excursions).  It is about not planning out every meal you are going to onboard ship and exactly when you will have it.  It's about going with the flow, meeting new people, watching a lecture later on TV because the sun was out and the pool was calling, right when the lecture was scheduled indoors.  You get the picture.

So I do think one can have both aspects:  detailed planning and spontaneity.   And for me at least, they both provide their own enjoyment.

• Like 10

48 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

I also think planning and being spontaneous can co-exist.

For example, in the preparation for a trip, especially far from home, I agree with others that the detailed planning and logistics and research are some of the best parts of enjoyment ahead of time.  Certainly in these days, one needs to have things carefully put together and doing that research to make the various decisions that need to be made ahead of time (in a Viking cruise:  air flights, pre or post?, getting to/from airports, cabin, excursions, etc.    These are the sort of logistical decisions require detailed planning - and to me that is fun!

However, there is another element that for me does not need to be planned out until the trip or cruise actually happens.  This is to me where the spontaneity comes in if you let it - and can also be a fun and interesting element to a trip.  I've seen people on both extremes of the spectrum.  Each to his own.  For me, this is about going to a city or a port and not necessarily have it planned out what you will do - going with the flow (above and beyond pre-planned excursions).  It is about not planning out every meal you are going to onboard ship and exactly when you will have it.  It's about going with the flow, meeting new people, watching a lecture later on TV because the sun was out and the pool was calling, right when the lecture was scheduled indoors.  You get the picture.

So I do think one can have both aspects:  detailed planning and spontaneity.   And for me at least, they both provide their own enjoyment.

Love this response! Hear hear!! 

• Like 2

I’ve done 50+ foreign trips over the last 40 years, of which six included cruises (the rest were independent travel). So I can see, for myself at least, how the degree of spontaneity has changed not only with time, but also with the mode of travel.

IMO, cruising is a “less” spontaneous way to get around internationally. Viking gives me an itinerary that tells me where I’m going on a particular day, when I’m arriving at that port, and when I’m leaving that port. I can sign up for excursions that further regiment my schedule to the quarter-hour. And back on the ship, the Viking Daily lets me know what’s happening where and when, morning through evening, again with precision.

These are observations, not criticism. I suppose that, for some, this level of structure is appealing and makes for a more enjoyable trip. Others, however, might chafe at this structure. I’m somewhere in the middle; I don’t embrace the structure, but nor am I repelled by it.

What I’m trying to do, now, is strike a balance between independent travel and cruising. I’m very glad I traveled the way I did when I was younger. But I recognize that my aging body won’t let me do the crazy things I used to do. So I’m more than happy to get on a Viking cruise and enjoy the experience, structured though it may be.

• Like 9

There is undeniably comfort and security in knowing what’s coming next; however, I like some spontaneity. I like to research the places I’m traveling to mostly to get some idea (especially with DIY) of how much time to allow in any one particular area, but once that’s done I don’t like to pursue pics of where I’m going or try to dig up every detail. In a way, it was all sort of more fun before the internet came along. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

There is undeniably comfort and security in knowing what’s coming next; however, I like some spontaneity. I like to research the places I’m traveling to mostly to get some idea (especially with DIY) of how much time to allow in any one particular area, but once that’s done I don’t like to pursue pics of where I’m going or try to dig up every detail. In a way, it was all sort of more fun before the internet came along. 

Agree, too much information.

And my least favorite phrase is “There’s an app for that!”. 😖

• Like 2

On 1/27/2023 at 12:20 AM, CILCIANRQTS said:

Agree, too much information.

And my least favorite phrase is “There’s an app for that!”. 😖

For sure!  I recall years of researching and planning trips where all that was available was a telephone (decades before smartphones) and AAA tour guide books, and “real” paper maps. Much more was left to be surprised about once the journey was underway. Now, you can practically google / zoom in to the extent of seeing what the exact beach looks like that one wants to visit. Somehow a bit of informational overload nowadays ala Alvin Toffler’s novel, “Future Shock”. To many apps around. And when all this computer stuff crashes at times society is sort of helpless. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

And when all this computer stuff crashes at times society is sort of helpless. 

OMG, that is so true. My DH, heaven love him, is absolutely addicted to his GPS. He has not one but 2 of them in his car and uses them to go everywhere. I believe in my heart that, if they both went out, he would have trouble finding the grocery store in our own neighborhood. And try taking away a kid's cellphone (or in some cases no so much a kid). You might as well amputate their arm. I am all for the benefits that technology has brought us but it has brought an uncomfortable amount of interpersonal alienation too. That was one of the things I used to like about cruising -- the chance to get away from all that and reconnect on a more personal level. Now, not so much. 

Ok, let me pull myself out of that wallow in nostalgia before I contribute to the dreaded thread drift. Carry on with our discussion about spontaneity.

Linda

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, L11 said:

OMG, that is so true. My DH, heaven love him, is absolutely addicted to his GPS. He has not one but 2 of them in his car and uses them to go everywhere. I believe in my heart that, if they both went out, he would have trouble finding the grocery store in our own neighborhood. And try taking away a kid's cellphone (or in some cases no so much a kid). You might as well amputate their arm. I am all for the benefits that technology has brought us but it has brought an uncomfortable amount of interpersonal alienation too. That was one of the things I used to like about cruising -- the chance to get away from all that and reconnect on a more personal level. Now, not so much. 

Ok, let me pull myself out of that wallow in nostalgia before I contribute to the dreaded thread drift. Carry on with our discussion about spontaneity.

Linda

On the other hand before cell phone apps, I remember arguing with my wife about how to get places and the big map books.  Never knowing about the new restaurant in town.  Having tons of different mail order catalogs and still not finding what I was looking for.   .........

• Like 3

6 hours ago, zalusky said:

On the other hand before cell phone apps, I remember arguing with my wife about how to get places and the big map books.  Never knowing about the new restaurant in town.  Having tons of different mail order catalogs and still not finding what I was looking for.   .........

Yeah, I have to admit, I do love GPS. I don’t miss trying to navigate with those big, tatty maps you could never figure out how to fold up again. 🗺️

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 6:29 AM, CILCIANRQTS said:

I am pleased at the level of response it provoked.

Like everything else on CC, there are no right answers. 

I believe both can work. But asking your original question on a forum of people looking for, or searching for answers to questions, or willing to help others with questions is going to lean to getting answers from people who like to do some amount of research.

On our families first trip to Disney World I went crazy. I had a dozen double sided sheets of paper with explicit directions on how and when to attack different parts of each park. After two days my wife and kids were saying, "PUT THE PAPER AWAY!" I did...mostly. And we survived and had a great time.

I grew up watching Disney 'anything' thinking that I would never get there, and when I found out that it was going to happen, I wanted to make sure we had the best trip possible.

I plan all of our trips and the bar that I set for myself to be prudent on costs and getting the best experience possible can make me a little OCD. And if I'm honest, when we cruise I miss out on some that extensive research. But I LOOoooove to cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeamBAlways said:

Like those heavenly Pistachio buns in the Living Room!

You mean these?😂. I accidentally discovered them on my own and have since made it my personal mission to introduce them to everyone so that they never quit making them!

6C4CC609-27BD-44FB-9CAE-1AA71B97EC11.webp

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Those pistachio buns are the BEST. I found out about them on this forum. DH, who loves pistachios, was beyond thrilled. Sometimes spontaneity needs just a little nudge since I am not a wander-around-in-the-morning type as a rule. For these pistachio buns, I will get up early.

Linda

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

You mean these?😂. I accidentally discovered them on my own and have since made it my personal mission to introduce them to everyone so that they never quit making them!

6C4CC609-27BD-44FB-9CAE-1AA71B97EC11.webp

Sadly, Clay, you got us hooked.  So it was disappointing to learn they didn’t serve them anymore - at least on the Star. This past Dec-Jan.   Maybe that was an aberration.  Or the specific ship chefs decision.

16 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Sadly, Clay, you got us hooked.  So it was disappointing to learn they didn’t serve them anymore - at least on the Star. This past Dec-Jan.   Maybe that was an aberration.  Or the specific ship chefs decision.

Same on Mars last September. We were desolated! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Say it ain’t so!😢😢😢

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

1 hour ago, Twitchly said:

Same on Mars last September. We were desolated! 

Did you ask about them?  If they aren’t in the case on July 19th, will be!

We have had amazing success in asking about items we had previously that haven’t been available. A day or so later the Chef or Restaurant Manager will stop us and ask us when we would like to have our special dish. Got grilled lobster, Chilean Sea Bass, cold pea soup, and clotted cream (for the scones) that way!

E185B82D-7527-4F07-BF27-C6ED5A627868.jpeg

7FDE4113-E8D2-4AA1-BA70-2D87CA819C98.jpeg

21472C06-05D5-4644-85E6-C8A0DB4A6105.jpeg

69F77AD6-C99D-4FE2-847B-60299AEE0683.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FetaCheese said:

Was on Sea Dec. 2022.  No pistachio buns were found, and sadly, didn't ask.

We asked, on the Star in Dec/Jan 2022-2023.  Were told that this ship, at least, was not doing Pistachio buns for the forseeable future.  They were sorry that we were disappointed.  I said that we weren't the only ones.   At least they didn't make up some excuse like "supply chain"  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1) Planning helps the excitement and anticipation of travel start to build.

2) Time and Money.  If I had infinite time left in life, and infinite money,  I'd probably plan less.

3) For each vacation day, I like to have handy 

Option A (preferred)

Option B (next best)

Option C

In 2 recent trips,  ~ 50% of all days, a situation caused Option A to NOT work out.  

I saved a huge amount of time and stress by immediately simply pivoting to Option B.

Traveling has never felt more spontaneous, despite all the "planning" I do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1